Would like #3 but DP says he's done
how do I get past this?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 moosmum2

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:47 PM

As the title says I'd dearly love to have #3 but DP says he's done & that's that. I'm completely devastated & not sure how to get past this. Obviously I don't want to make him do it & have him resent me & the baby if we did but can't help feeling like he's being a bit selfish.

How do I not let this eat me up inside & get past it? Has anyone else been in a similar situation, did your DP come round or did you just have to deal with it?

#2 MrsShine

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:55 PM

Assuming you can't change his mind maybe this sentiment will help you:

A friend once told me that him & his wife were done with two & were never going to consider a third as he feels that you have one child per parent - so you only replace yourself and to not create extra strain or demand on the planet.

This has always stuck with me & I believe 2 will be DH & my magic number also original.gif

I know that doesn't help you deal with the obvious loss & sadness at never having a new bub again but hoped it might give you a different point of view to focus on.

Edited by MrsShine, 28 January 2013 - 03:48 PM.

#3 Jenferal

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:01 PM

Wouldn't you be the one being selfish if you had the baby he doesn't want though?
I think children should be wanted by BOTH parties, from conception if possible(though I know plenty of people who did come around in the end, men especially).
Try and think what you can do with 2; more money, more time, less stress.
And if you had 3, would you want 4? or 5?
And having been the 3rd of 3 children,3 kids can SUCK! 2 gang up on one so often it's not funny(or maybe that was just my siblings?). There's always one left out it seems, only 2 parents to go around as well, as Mrs Shine said.
And I do think less use of our limited resources is a good thing.
And I think some parents(not just mothers) will always wonder about "What if.." no matter how many babies they have. I'm certain I'll only have 1, but I still wonder what life would be like if I'd chosen to have 2 or more.

good luck with finding peace, no matter what you end up choosing.

#4 moosmum2

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:22 PM

You're right Jenflea & it is selfish on my part too.  We had discussed 3 & I assumed that's how our family would be. I know how blessed we are to have our beautiful 2 kids & I adore them. Just can't shake the feeling our family isn't quite complete.  Maybe I just needed a little vent as it's not really something you can talk about openly.

MrsShine you've got a great point & that's one of his reasonings too.

Thanks ladies.

#5 Jenferal

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:39 PM

Another thing...
How old is your youngest child? maybe a year or 2 break might soften him up a bit OR make settle your mind that 2's enough.
He may well be worried about mo0ney, or his age as well. Time may be the decider either way.

#6 Nanns

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:55 PM

Ask yourself, why do you really want another? What is it that you believe that 3rd child will bring?

We went for a third and got twins. Hardest thing I have ever done. It is always a possibility

I love my kids but given the choice, I probably would have just travelled the world single : )

#7 moosmum2

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:02 PM

Youngest is 1.
You all make good points thank you.

Naans - twins on both sides so def possibility too. I imagine your days are never dull!

I guess I look at all the good things a 3rd could bring both to us & our other 2 - more cuddles, love, fun. Find it hard to explain but it's just something I've always known I'd do. Maybe I'm caught up in that rather that reality of how much harder it wld be.

#8 Ice Queen

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

As a person who has 2 kids and only wants 2 kids I can see you DH's point of view.  When DD as born I vaguely thought about 3 and we even discussed it.  Now that DS has come along, no way.  I cant even imagine it.  Seriously, I have no idea what I would do if I got pregnant again.

So that is from your DH's point of view.  It is a tough thing to get passed if it really isnt what you want.

We all make sacrifices and compromises in life for us, our kids, our partners, our careers even our friends for us all to be happy.  Maybe this is yours.

#9 Natttmumm

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:35 PM

I can see both sides. I always thought I'd have 3. DH deep down thought 2 but never really said that. When DD2 was around 18 mths we discussed it but DH was against it and I knew I had my hands full already so we left it.

When she was around 2.5 I thought I could do it all again, DH did take some time to decide and ended up agreeing although he would have been very happy with 2. The pregnancy has been tough on all of us and with a health scare at 12 weeks its been hard. If I had pushed D H into it I know he would resent me now and deep down blame me.
My point is if he's not up for it (and all that another baby brings - good and bad)I would say let it go even if that's hard to do. Personally I couldn't cope with out his total support.
I would just try to think of all the hard bits and know your relationship with your DH and current kids is more important. A third whilst delightful will add stress on everyone

#10 Lishyfips

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

I've been in a similar situation with my husband, with surprising consequences.
When my second child was around 18 months-two years old I really wanted another. My husband wasn't interested, said we were just getting our lives back to normal and could consider doing other things like travelling more. He was very involved in his career at that point, taking on a lot more responsibility. I was upset at the time but gradually got used to the idea.
Fast forward a few years, suddenly my husband changes his mind. Maybe because his old school friends are finally getting around to having their first babies, or maybe just because his memories of sleep deprivation have faded! Anyway, out of the blue he said he wanted to 'see what happens' and next thing you know I'm pregnant.
So the reason I'm sharing this is because although he says he's done now, your husband might change his mind once your other kids are a little older. Give him a bit more time for your lives to settle down and then drop the odd lighthearted hint so he knows you still want another baby (at least that's what I did)! Hope it works for you.

#11 envs

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:26 PM

OP, I had a whole long story, but then figured you didn't need to hear it, so I'll just say,
both partners have to be invested, or there is going to be resentment. The kids are going to feel and witness the strain - emotionally, financially and socially.

And somewhere down the track, the truth will come out, and it will sting.

#12 moosmum2

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:36 AM

Thank you ladies for all your replies, it really has helped me. Think I was a little emotional but all you've said has helped me with those feelings.

DP came to me & apologised for the way he handled our discussion about #3 & has asked if we can revisit in a few months time. So we will see what happens. In the meantime I am going to focus on my 2 gorgeous kids & keep watching them grow.

envs it sounds like you have had this experience first hand, I hope everything has worked out for you.

#13 EssentialBludger

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:18 AM

About 2 years ago, I was desperate for number 3. DP was adamant he didn't want another (and still is).

I came around to his thinking eventually. I still have moments of cluckiness, but mostly I see a newborn or friends with more than 2 kids and think "glad that's not me".

We can do so much more with 2 than 3. And while finances are OK, our kids do a lot of dancing and extra curricular activities and go to a private school - things we wouldn't be able to afford if we had a third.

I'm also looking forward to traveling in the future. I've wanted to go to Disneyland since I was 5 years old, and it's looking to be achievable in the next couple of years! Another child would sent that dream back a good 6+ years, if affordable at all.

Mostly I'm just glad to have some independence back. No more broken sleep and nappies and DS will be at school next year and I can work longer hours and save a bit more money. It's also hard enough finding a babysitter for 2 when we want to go out, pretty sure none of our friends and family would want to look after 3. Tounge1.gif

Anyway, the point was the yearning went away for me and now I'm very content with life with 2. I'm pushing DP to get the snip. A bug change from 24 months ago when I was begging for a 3rd. original.gif

#14 samshine

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:39 PM

OP, I had a similar experience to a PP.  I was keen for a 3rd from when my second was born, but DH wasnt.  Long story short, once I had given up and was enjoying the idea of 2, he changed his mind and we now have 3.

I agree that both parents have to be totally on board with any child, 1st, 3rd, or 7th.  Our 3rd has been HARD, and tbh, she has brought chaos; to our home life, to our mental health, to our marriage, to the family.  Don't get me wrong, she is very much adored and I can't imagine a world without her in it.  I love her and she's been worth every second. But it has been so very very hard.  If either one of us had been pressured or coerced into this I think it would have done serious damage to our marriage.

Good luck OP, you never know he might change his mind.  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Student shocked by surprise baby

Kate Hudson, 22, was on a dream European holiday with friends. She didn't realise she was about to become a mum.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.