Would like #3 but DP says he's done
how do I get past this?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 moosmum2

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:47 PM

As the title says I'd dearly love to have #3 but DP says he's done & that's that. I'm completely devastated & not sure how to get past this. Obviously I don't want to make him do it & have him resent me & the baby if we did but can't help feeling like he's being a bit selfish.

How do I not let this eat me up inside & get past it? Has anyone else been in a similar situation, did your DP come round or did you just have to deal with it?

#2 MrsShine

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:55 PM

Assuming you can't change his mind maybe this sentiment will help you:

A friend once told me that him & his wife were done with two & were never going to consider a third as he feels that you have one child per parent - so you only replace yourself and to not create extra strain or demand on the planet.

This has always stuck with me & I believe 2 will be DH & my magic number also original.gif

I know that doesn't help you deal with the obvious loss & sadness at never having a new bub again but hoped it might give you a different point of view to focus on.

Edited by MrsShine, 28 January 2013 - 03:48 PM.

#3 Marchioness Flea

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:01 PM

Wouldn't you be the one being selfish if you had the baby he doesn't want though?
I think children should be wanted by BOTH parties, from conception if possible(though I know plenty of people who did come around in the end, men especially).
Try and think what you can do with 2; more money, more time, less stress.
And if you had 3, would you want 4? or 5?
And having been the 3rd of 3 children,3 kids can SUCK! 2 gang up on one so often it's not funny(or maybe that was just my siblings?). There's always one left out it seems, only 2 parents to go around as well, as Mrs Shine said.
And I do think less use of our limited resources is a good thing.
And I think some parents(not just mothers) will always wonder about "What if.." no matter how many babies they have. I'm certain I'll only have 1, but I still wonder what life would be like if I'd chosen to have 2 or more.

good luck with finding peace, no matter what you end up choosing.

#4 moosmum2

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:22 PM

You're right Jenflea & it is selfish on my part too.  We had discussed 3 & I assumed that's how our family would be. I know how blessed we are to have our beautiful 2 kids & I adore them. Just can't shake the feeling our family isn't quite complete.  Maybe I just needed a little vent as it's not really something you can talk about openly.

MrsShine you've got a great point & that's one of his reasonings too.

Thanks ladies.

#5 Marchioness Flea

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:39 PM

Another thing...
How old is your youngest child? maybe a year or 2 break might soften him up a bit OR make settle your mind that 2's enough.
He may well be worried about mo0ney, or his age as well. Time may be the decider either way.

#6 Nanns

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:55 PM

Ask yourself, why do you really want another? What is it that you believe that 3rd child will bring?

We went for a third and got twins. Hardest thing I have ever done. It is always a possibility

I love my kids but given the choice, I probably would have just travelled the world single : )

#7 moosmum2

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:02 PM

Youngest is 1.
You all make good points thank you.

Naans - twins on both sides so def possibility too. I imagine your days are never dull!

I guess I look at all the good things a 3rd could bring both to us & our other 2 - more cuddles, love, fun. Find it hard to explain but it's just something I've always known I'd do. Maybe I'm caught up in that rather that reality of how much harder it wld be.

#8 Ice Queen

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

As a person who has 2 kids and only wants 2 kids I can see you DH's point of view.  When DD as born I vaguely thought about 3 and we even discussed it.  Now that DS has come along, no way.  I cant even imagine it.  Seriously, I have no idea what I would do if I got pregnant again.

So that is from your DH's point of view.  It is a tough thing to get passed if it really isnt what you want.

We all make sacrifices and compromises in life for us, our kids, our partners, our careers even our friends for us all to be happy.  Maybe this is yours.

#9 Natttmumm

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:35 PM

I can see both sides. I always thought I'd have 3. DH deep down thought 2 but never really said that. When DD2 was around 18 mths we discussed it but DH was against it and I knew I had my hands full already so we left it.

When she was around 2.5 I thought I could do it all again, DH did take some time to decide and ended up agreeing although he would have been very happy with 2. The pregnancy has been tough on all of us and with a health scare at 12 weeks its been hard. If I had pushed D H into it I know he would resent me now and deep down blame me.
My point is if he's not up for it (and all that another baby brings - good and bad)I would say let it go even if that's hard to do. Personally I couldn't cope with out his total support.
I would just try to think of all the hard bits and know your relationship with your DH and current kids is more important. A third whilst delightful will add stress on everyone

#10 Lishyfips

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

I've been in a similar situation with my husband, with surprising consequences.
When my second child was around 18 months-two years old I really wanted another. My husband wasn't interested, said we were just getting our lives back to normal and could consider doing other things like travelling more. He was very involved in his career at that point, taking on a lot more responsibility. I was upset at the time but gradually got used to the idea.
Fast forward a few years, suddenly my husband changes his mind. Maybe because his old school friends are finally getting around to having their first babies, or maybe just because his memories of sleep deprivation have faded! Anyway, out of the blue he said he wanted to 'see what happens' and next thing you know I'm pregnant.
So the reason I'm sharing this is because although he says he's done now, your husband might change his mind once your other kids are a little older. Give him a bit more time for your lives to settle down and then drop the odd lighthearted hint so he knows you still want another baby (at least that's what I did)! Hope it works for you.

#11 envs

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:26 PM

OP, I had a whole long story, but then figured you didn't need to hear it, so I'll just say,
both partners have to be invested, or there is going to be resentment. The kids are going to feel and witness the strain - emotionally, financially and socially.

And somewhere down the track, the truth will come out, and it will sting.

#12 moosmum2

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:36 AM

Thank you ladies for all your replies, it really has helped me. Think I was a little emotional but all you've said has helped me with those feelings.

DP came to me & apologised for the way he handled our discussion about #3 & has asked if we can revisit in a few months time. So we will see what happens. In the meantime I am going to focus on my 2 gorgeous kids & keep watching them grow.

envs it sounds like you have had this experience first hand, I hope everything has worked out for you.

#13 EssentialBludger

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:18 AM

About 2 years ago, I was desperate for number 3. DP was adamant he didn't want another (and still is).

I came around to his thinking eventually. I still have moments of cluckiness, but mostly I see a newborn or friends with more than 2 kids and think "glad that's not me".

We can do so much more with 2 than 3. And while finances are OK, our kids do a lot of dancing and extra curricular activities and go to a private school - things we wouldn't be able to afford if we had a third.

I'm also looking forward to traveling in the future. I've wanted to go to Disneyland since I was 5 years old, and it's looking to be achievable in the next couple of years! Another child would sent that dream back a good 6+ years, if affordable at all.

Mostly I'm just glad to have some independence back. No more broken sleep and nappies and DS will be at school next year and I can work longer hours and save a bit more money. It's also hard enough finding a babysitter for 2 when we want to go out, pretty sure none of our friends and family would want to look after 3. Tounge1.gif

Anyway, the point was the yearning went away for me and now I'm very content with life with 2. I'm pushing DP to get the snip. A bug change from 24 months ago when I was begging for a 3rd. original.gif

#14 samshine

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:39 PM

OP, I had a similar experience to a PP.  I was keen for a 3rd from when my second was born, but DH wasnt.  Long story short, once I had given up and was enjoying the idea of 2, he changed his mind and we now have 3.

I agree that both parents have to be totally on board with any child, 1st, 3rd, or 7th.  Our 3rd has been HARD, and tbh, she has brought chaos; to our home life, to our mental health, to our marriage, to the family.  Don't get me wrong, she is very much adored and I can't imagine a world without her in it.  I love her and she's been worth every second. But it has been so very very hard.  If either one of us had been pressured or coerced into this I think it would have done serious damage to our marriage.

Good luck OP, you never know he might change his mind.  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Get your FREE Baby & Toddler Ticket!

Get your free ticket to the Essential Baby & Toddler Show Brisbane (4-6 March). Register online now to save $20!

Newborn baby found in a nativity scene

Police are trying to trace a woman who abandoned a baby boy in the manger of a church nativity scene.

Life would be harder without my kids

The Humans of New York Facebook page is well known for sharing touching, real stories from one of the world's biggest cities – and it's just hit the heart of parents everywhere.

Mum dresses as Wonder Woman for last day of chemo

A Brisbane mum dressed up as a superhero to celebrate the end of her chemotherapy and created a moment her family will remember forever.

How a raisin can predict a toddler's IQ

All you need to assess a child's future intelligence is a plastic cup and a raisin, according to new research.

Former Hi-5 member's cannabis hope

Former Hi-5 star Tim Harding hopes a cannabis-derived drug will help control his daughter's epilepsy, which sees the four-year-old suffering between 50 and 100 seizures a day.

The top 5 reasons your toddler throws a tantrum

Whilst to the outside world little people may appear to have it easy, it's actually not always the case – just ask any toddler who's had their toast cut up the wrong way.

Glenn McGrath thought he'd lost his wife and baby

Australian cricket ledged Glen McGrath has spoken about the moment he thought he might lose his wife, Sara and their baby daughter, Madison.

Inside my Centrelink nightmare

Mother Bec Smith has been trying for months to access Centrelink payments. A "serious error" is preventing her.

Warnings over push for hourly childcare billing

Australia's peak childcare body has called for caution around the Turnbull government's push for childcare centres to charge parents by the hour, not by the day.

Cate Blanchett thought about adopting for years

Cate Blanchett says her recent adoption of a baby girl had nothing to do with wanting a daughter after having three sons.

Kate Walsh: 'I can't have kids'

Grey's Anatomy star Kate Walsh has revealed she is unable to have children because she has experienced early menopause.

The parasite that could boost fertility

The Tsimane women of Bolivia are often revered as among the most fertile in the world - on average having 10 children in their lifetimes -- but some are even more fertile than others.

Family may sue cousin over genetics

A Melbourne couple is suing the Royal Children's Hospital for failing to diagnose a genetic disorder in their first child - an error they allege caused them to have another child with severe disabilities.

Strange things mums have done in labour

While most women in labour focus on the upcoming birth of their baby, some women do more interesting things.

Michael Clarke reveals baby's name

When Michael Clarke said he was wrapped around the finger of his little princess, he wasn't joking.

The logistics of breastfeeding twins

Our life is more or less divided into neat four hour parcels of time and it's hard to get much of anything done in the time between feeds.

How to stop people ruining Christmas

We can make a conscious effort about how we react to those curly Christmas day scenarios that can send us up the wall, or should we say chimney.

Lots of formula offers for desperate mum

The mum who was down to her last three tins of baby formula said she had received hundreds of calls and offers to send her formula.

Surviving breast cancer while pregnant

It was last thing Rebecca O'Donnell expected at 30 weeks' pregnant. One morning, while putting on her bra, she felt a pea-sized lump in her right breast.

Cot sheet brands for the nursery

With so many awesome cot sheet options these days, we thought we'd put together a list of go-to brands for you to seek out for your baby's bed.

What's hot on EB

How I survived breast cancer while pregnant

It was last thing Rebecca O'Donnell expected at 30 weeks' pregnant. One morning, while putting on her bra, she felt a pea-sized lump in her right breast.

Grieving father's letter to Bataclan terrorists: "...this little boy will threaten you by being happy and free"

A grieving father whose wife was killed in the attacks on the Bataclan Theatre last weekend has written an open letter to her killers.

5 challenges of motherhood - and how to see them differently

Despite the smiles, the sloppy kisses and the pure magic children bring to our lives, it's hard to deny that motherhood can be tough.

4 challenges of being a new dad - and how to face them

Becoming a parent is challenging – and that applies to both mums and dads.

My battle against antenatal and postnatal depression

I was five months pregnant when I realised I needed help.

Children swapped at birth will not be returned to biological parents

A boy and girl accidentally swapped on the day they were born will stay with the families who have raised them, a South African court has ruled.

A quarter of men believe they get 'man periods'

A British study has revealed one in four men believe they have a monthly cycle.

Baby deposit

How much do you need to save for a 'baby deposit'?

It's fairly straightforward to calculate a house deposit, but how much money do you need to save up for a baby?

Dad's beautiful note to his wife, a nurse

To anyone else it might just look like a picture of a mum having a nap with her toddler.

'I was a complete schmuck': Mike Baird opens up about his wife's postnatal depression

When his wife Kerryn was not well following the birth of their daughter, NSW Premier Mike Baird buried himself in his work.

Mum's desperate plea as whooping cough alert issued

A desperate mother has shared a heart-breaking video of her baby struggling to cope with a coughing fit caused by pertussis.

Coffee could help you live longer

New US research found people who report drinking three to five cups of coffee a day are less likely to die prematurely from heart disease, suicide, diabetes or Parkinson's disease.

The joy and dread of playdates

To live vicariously through your child is to rediscover anxieties you thought dead and buried.

Sick baby could die without scarce special formula, mum says

Lizzie Cann is down to her last three tins of a special formula in short supply.

Adorable toddler's strop foiled by squeaky shoes

We're probably all familiar with the pouty bottom lip and tightly crossed arms of a tot mid-strop.

More sex during World Cup created more baby boys

More sex during South Africa's World Cup meant a disproportionately high number of boys were born nine months later, a new study has found.

ABC Shop perfect for Christmas gifts

What a boon it would be to have your toddler's Christmas gifts covered this year. We have two awesome ABC Shop prize packs to give away to two lucky winners.

Do fitness challenges really work?

Fitness challenges aren't new. There's Michelle Bridges 12WBT and a bunch of other programs if you really want to lose weight.

What are pregnant women Googling?

Pregnancy is a huge change for any woman, so it's natural we'll have questions - and turn to Google to ask them.

Can't decide?

Check out the Essential Baby Names section for some inspiration

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.