What does/did your 8 month old eat? Updated with a further question

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Kemma

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:04 PM

Just doing a comparison I guess.
DD is having 3 solids a day plus 4-5 breast feeds.
As far as solids go its mushy veg or fruit usually mixed in with some rice cereal (Cerelac)  

In a prev thread I saw someone say their 8mo usually eats what they eat. If this is your situation how is it served?  

What sorts of food do 8mo usually eat?
My first DD was very hard to feed so I don't have a good comparison.

Thank you very much

Edited by Kemma, 28 January 2013 - 09:43 AM.

#2 MrsWidget

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:13 PM

DS2 is 8 months today. :-)

We did BLW so no purees or mashes here. He likes
Cucumber sticks
Avocado
Raw snow peas
Raw beans
Capsicum
Cheese
Cutlets
Chicken strips
Nectarine
Orange
Banana
Apple
Watermelon
Corn cakes (like rice cakes)
bread/toast
Savory muffins
Pasta
Meatballs with veg in them

I'm sure there's more but I can't think right now.

#3 MrsWidget

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:14 PM

I should add breastmilk is still his main source of nutrition.

#4 Sunny003

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

Can't remember 8 months, but by 9 months DS1 was eating pretty much everything except dairy & egg (family
History of allergies). He ate an entree size Pene napolitana at 9mths ohmy.gif

DS2 wasn't on solids until 10mths+ due to allergies, so can't help you there.

#5 MrsFeral247

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:12 PM

My DD started sushi at 8 months wink.gif
Rice/ cous cous dishes
Pasta dishes
Vegies
Fruit
Milk arrowroots
Yoghurt - presumably cancels out the sushi
Cheese
Most things really.

We didn't do BLW as such but we have always been happy to let her try whatever we had. Admittedly, she was a bit funny with textures and there were times I still gave some things a wizz in the blender to even lumps out a bit.

#6 mummy2LJ

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:59 PM

DS is just 9 months, but for the past month this is what his diet has looked like:
Breakfast - toast with vegemite or cream cheese or avocado (just cut in half with the crusts on).Half a piece of fruit, usually stone fruit or watermelon or grapes cut in half.
Lunch- this is usually a fairly big meal, left overs from the night before (spag Bol, a lamb cutlet etc.)Or steamed veggies with cheese and fresh ham of the bone or tined salmon.Or sandwich with salmon rolled up like a sushiOr fruit purée and nori roll if we are outWith fruit, rice crackers or a plain sweet biscuit

Dinner- whatever we are having mashed and whole. He likes to feed himself but I also like to spoon feed him this meal so he gets used to how we eat dinner at our house. So at the moment the whole family is eating fairly simple meals that can be made suitable for baby.Meals like spag Bol with heaps of veggies, meat and steamed veg, fish and salad, fried rice, .... All the classics lol.Then fruit again.

We have done a mixture of traditional purée etc. and baby led weaning with both our children and they are fantastic eaters.He also has no teeth yet lol.He has 3 breast feeds during the day most days and however many he wants over night. I try to keep his diet fairly rich in protein, I'm hoping this will help him sleep better at night and require less breastfeeds.Hope that gives you some ideas

Edited by mummy2LJ, 27 January 2013 - 07:00 PM.

#7 Indi

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:09 PM

DD3 was eating family meals by 8 - 9 months.  At 5, she is by far my best eater and the most likely to try (and eat) new foods.

#8 Kemma

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:22 PM

I'm so scared to give her stuff not mashed or puréed.
Maybe I can start with some toast?

#9 Dylan's Mummy

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:27 PM

QUOTE (mummy2LJ @ 27/01/2013, 06:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
DS is just 9 months, but for the past month this is what his diet has looked like:
Breakfast - toast with vegemite or cream cheese or avocado (just cut in half with the crusts on).Half a piece of fruit, usually stone fruit or watermelon or grapes cut in half.
Lunch- this is usually a fairly big meal, left overs from the night before (spag Bol, a lamb cutlet etc.)Or steamed veggies with cheese and fresh ham of the bone or tined salmon.Or sandwich with salmon rolled up like a sushiOr fruit purée and nori roll if we are outWith fruit, rice crackers or a plain sweet biscuit

Dinner- whatever we are having mashed and whole. He likes to feed himself but I also like to spoon feed him this meal so he gets used to how we eat dinner at our house. So at the moment the whole family is eating fairly simple meals that can be made suitable for baby.Meals like spag Bol with heaps of veggies, meat and steamed veg, fish and salad, fried rice, .... All the classics lol.Then fruit again.

We have done a mixture of traditional purée etc. and baby led weaning with both our children and they are fantastic eaters.He also has no teeth yet lol.He has 3 breast feeds during the day most days and however many he wants over night. I try to keep his diet fairly rich in protein, I'm hoping this will help him sleep better at night and require less breastfeeds.Hope that gives you some ideas

How does a baby go eating a lamb cutlet, do you give it to them whole or cut it up? If you give it to the, whole, how do they eat it if they have no, or very little teeth?

#10 mummy2LJ

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:35 PM

QUOTE (Dylan's Mummy @ 27/01/2013, 08:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How does a baby go eating a lamb cutlet, do you give it to them whole or cut it up? If you give it to the, whole, how do they eat it if they have no, or very little teeth?

He just sucks and mushers with his gums. I watch him very closely but he is very good at spitting out lumps that are too big. I will also give him a hand by picking off little bit and putting it in his hand (his daddy puts little bits straight in his mouth, but I find he is better if he uses his hands and recognising when the bits are too big). That said he did go through a stage where he just filled his mouth up with too much and couldn't spit out or swallow. That was a bit stressful, but he learnt and now does really well. original.gif

#11 NotBitzerMaloney

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:46 PM

After months of trying to feed her puréed food we realised DD was only interested in feeding herself.

She just turned 8 months and eats hand held pasta, carrot stIcks, zucchini, banana bread, arrowroot biscuits, potatoes, pumpkin, etc. for breakfast she will have toast wih Vegemite, peanut butter (not recommended!) or fish paste (gross), as well as pick up pieces of Special K and eat scrambled eggs.

She started daycare last week and on Friday for Australia Day she sucked out the contents of a party pie then ate some of the shell, ate a Vegemite sandwich (about half each of two sandwich quarters) and soundly rejected pavlova.

Out for dinner the other night she ate some of my fish with ginger and shallots and the crispy skin chicken. Rice was also rejected soundly- and loudly!

She just cut her first tooh last week.

Edited by NotBitzerMaloney, 27 January 2013 - 07:49 PM.

#12 maeby

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:01 PM

We do BLW too, and our 8-month-old eats what we eat.  This morning he had porridge for brekky (with some stewed prunes and grated apple.  No extra milk in it, so it's reasonably solid, but still makes a GIANT mess) and some peanut butter toast.  We went out for yum cha for lunch (he particularly liked the steamed dumplings) and leftovers for dinner, which was some veggo curry (with big chunks of egg and potato) and some stuffed eggplant.  Fruit (watermelon and pear chunks) as snacks.  

In terms of how he eats it, we just plonk everything in front of him in smallish amounts (if there's too much he goes bonkers and chucks everything everywhere).  Most things are usually in bite-sized chunks or much smaller (ie. adult bite-sized egg and potato, and the rest of the curry was a thickish sauce and finely chopped veg). A bib with a decent pocket is very handy.

#13 MrsWidget

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:12 AM

I give it whole, the bone makes a great handle.  wink.gif They just chew/suck it. DS has 4 teeth which probably helps.

As far as choking, they have an excellent gag reflex. Of course you Ned to watch them but we've had no problems.

My older DS is 4 and a terrible eater (we fed him the traditional way) and so far DS2 is a much better eater.

#14 Blingy

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:28 AM

At 8 months DS was eating porridge for brekkie followed by whole grain toast with either peanut butter or Vegemite

Snack of finger veg .. Finger of carrot ,pumpkin, zucchini, prices of broccoli, cauliflower, peas or corn on the cob... Sometimes with hommos

Lamb or beef casserole with finger veg for lunch

Snack of natural,yoghurt and finger veg

Some sort of lamb, beef or chicken with finger veg followed by some fruit for tea

3 breastfeeds a day about an hour after meals

Occasionally snacks are whole grain rice cakes or rice crackers with hommos

He is now 12 mths and eats the same but has weaned himself... Something I was hoping he wouldn't do for awhile yet

#15 Funky Cold Ribena

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:20 AM

8mo DS eats pretty much what we eat, just roughly mashed up.

- Weetbix with cows milk for brekkie.
- Our left over dinner from night before thoroughly reheated and cooled for his lunch. So today he'll have chicken and cauliflower cheese.
- Whatever we are having for dinner. Basa fish curry and rice tonight. I don't hold back on chilli or other spices. DS will eat it. DD was the same and will still eat any spicy food.
- Greek yoghurt sometimes natural sometimes with mashed up fruit.
- He's a demon for avocados, loves them. Great if we are out and about but I'll have a shop bought pouch of food with us too.
- I'll give DS a pouch of baby food with sweet potato/ rice/ pasta/ cous cous to bulk it up if I've run out of stuff I've made and frozen.

#16 Kemma

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:41 AM

Ok , I just gave DD a piece of toast with vegemite,  she loved it.  
BUT she got a bit caught in her throat and then vomited up all her milk etc...

Is that a normal thing for a first time?

#17 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:54 AM

Basically give them a whole one, and they just gum away at it until it starts falling apart or they get bored.  You can then tear off little bits for them.

My DS loves them.  One of his first words was "bone" and now when he gets one he has this little "song".  

Bone, bone, bo bo be bo bone,bo bo.....

#18 Phoenix Blue

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:55 PM

DD is almost 8.5 months.
Breakfast is a weetbix with milk and some pureed fruit on top. Then half a piece of vegemite toast (finger food)
Lunch is either some mushed up meal of ours from previous night/week (Spag bol, tuna pasta, chicken pie, shep pie, roast and veg) or a packet/jar if I'm lazy. She usually has a yoghurt or a custard. Sometimes half a nectarine/mango/banana (finger food) or a cruskit.
Dinner is usually same as lunch, but a different type. She'll have steamed vegies or some salad as finger food if we are eating them too.

She has 4-5 breastfeeds a day too.

#19 Funky Cold Ribena

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:06 PM

QUOTE (Kemma @ 28/01/2013, 10:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok , I just gave DD a piece of toast with vegemite,  she loved it.  
BUT she got a bit caught in her throat and then vomited up all her milk etc...

Is that a normal thing for a first time?

That's exactly what DD did the first time. She had sucked and gummed it until it was all doughy and sticky and it must of got stuck. I left toast a few more weeks and then tried again. She was fine.
Not tried it with DS yet, I must do though, he seems to have more control with lumpy food than DD did. She used to ram it all in and choke. It was horrible.
She's 2 now and has no issues with food at all, eats properly and eats everything.

#20 MrsFeral247

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:26 PM

Maybe try some banana or cooked potato or a strip of avocado or something mushy in texture first, then introduce toast and biscuits etc.

#21 WaitForIt

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:50 PM

Just wondering, those of you with good eaters did they suddenly just 'get it' or was it a gradual thing? We're doing blw and at 7m DD is slightly better than when we started but a long way off eating proper meals, I don't see her improving that much over the next month. And yet, here and other forums, I'm noticing 8mo tend to be eating decent sized meals.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How I learnt to relax about routines

After many routine-led, tough years, we've realised that being parenting isn't about being perfect. It isn't about following a schedule to a T.

Should you have a third child or not?

I thought our family had been complete with our two boys. I had no idea how much I needed my daughter until she was here.

Helping a toddler embrace an adopted sibling

A single parent by choice, I am preparing to adopt a second baby from Morocco. And I face a special challenge.

When pregnancy messes with your self-esteem

Pregnancy doesn't make all women feel beautiful. It certainly doesn't raise every woman's self-esteem.

Join us in The BIG nappy change

Introducing the new Coles Little Explorer Nappies! You can confidently rely on Coles Little Explorer nappies at each stage of your child's growth, so take the Big Nappy Change and try new Coles Little Explorer nappies for yourself!

Robbie Williams live tweets wife's labour

And the award for most patient woman in labour goes to ... Robbie Williams' wife, Ayda Field.

Vaccine ignorance is deadly and contagious

In the absence of credible, strong political leadership, paranoia about disease can go viral.

Parenting differently based on birth order

All children have unique personalities, but keeping birth order in mind could help when parenting.

How to get rid of the mum guilt

Motherhood and guilt seem to go hand in hand, but there are ways to focus

Paid parental leave scheme grinds to a halt

The future of Prime Minister Tony Abbott's paid parental leave scheme appears to be up in the air, despite the fact it is due to begin in less than nine months.

The devastation of foetal alcohol spectrum disorders

No one's sure how many Australians are affected by foetal alcohol spectrum disorders, but the consequences for those who are can be devastating.

The pros and cons of finding out the sex of your unborn baby

It’s often one of the biggest choices parents make during the course of their pregnancy; to find out, or not to find out, the sex of their baby before it’s born.

Toddler's awesome dress up month

Two-year-old Willow and her photographer mum, Gina Lee, made October "Dress Up Willow Month". She posted photos of Willow's costumes on her Instagram account, and her creative takes on popular culture are simply adorable.

Childhood around the world

It can be easy to assume our ideas around childhood are universal, but they are particular to where we live, as these practices show.

Best picks for baby and toddler shoes

Here's a great selection of footwear from pre-walker to walker ensuring comfort and style for growing feet.

I lost my wife and daughters to Ebola - then it came for my son

Sunday, September 21, is a day I will never forget.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss. It involves toilet talk, and probably caused my miscarriage. But it needs to be talked about.

Prenatal testing: the facts

Prenatal testing is done to check if a baby has certain medical conditions before birth. Here is some important information about what the tests are for and the risks involved.

5 things to do with your baby?s old clothes

Did you think your only option for your baby?s old clothes was to pack them away or give them to the Salvos? Think again.

Why it's possible to not realise you're pregnant until the baby arrives

After hearing about 'surprise babies' born to mums who didn't know they were pregnant, it's common to ask "how did she not realise?" But experts say it's entirely possible for it to happen.

'My miracle is finally here'

How has the world continued on its pace when mine has been altered so drastically?

Dairy can help older women fall pregnant: study

Ice cream may be the ultimate comfort food, but a study suggests it could also help older women to have children.

Megan Gale goes topless for 'sexiest people' cover

Six months after a heavily pregnant Megan Gale posed nude for Marie Claire, the glowing new mum has gone topless for the cover of another magazine.

A new perspective on life from living with two diseases

A mother shares her personal story about the difficulty of living with two conditions, one of which stops her from being able to see her daughter's face.

Warning about Children's Panadol dosage

The Therapeutic Goods Administration has issued a safety advisory warning parents about confusion when using the dosing syringe supplied with Children's Panadol.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Take 'The Coles Big Nappy Change' Challenge

You could become part of our Test Drive team and win one of 200 packs of Coles Little Explorer Nappies as part of our 5-day challenge.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Join us in The BIG nappy change

Introducing the new Coles Little Explorer Nappies! You can confidently rely on Coles Little Explorer nappies at each stage of your child's growth, so take the Big Nappy Change and try new Coles Little Explorer nappies for yourself!

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Weird trend

Couple has five babies in 14 months

Julie and David Grygla weren't sure they'd ever have kids - but their dreams have now well and truly come true.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.