Holiday Nerves with PND
Travelling to Thailand with a 11 month old

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 lis.seddon

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

Hi there,
I'm brand new to this forum and hoping for a bit of advice.

My lovely son was born May 16 2012.  I've spent most of the last 8 months struggling with post natal depression (quite severe) and was hospitalised for a few weeks when he was 7 weeks old because of it.  (Thank goodness for the Mother Baby Unit!)

ANYWAY, we're planning a trip to Thailand (Phuket) in Term 1 school holidays (23 April - 1 May) this year.  We're looking at staying in the Busakorn Wing of the Holiday Inn on Patong Beach.  We've been there before (not stayed in that place) and had a great time.

BUT the nerves and anxiety of the logistics of travelling with a baby is putting me off booking it.

I HAVE A MILLION QUESTIONS!  CAN YOU HELP ME?!?!?!?!

1- NAPPIES! OMG what do you do? Take some with you, buy some? What?

2 - DS is on formula (don't hate me - part of the PND is due to guilt re: feeding struggles) and how do I feed him when we're in transit?

3 - Solids? Do I pack enough for the trip? Or buy some there?

4 - Immunisations? He's under 2 so is that a problem?

5 - 8 hour flight (I dont fly well) with a baby who refuses to sleep anywhere but his bed (we're working on it).  Any tips? Do I ask the dr for sleeping tablets? What do I do?!

6 - Prams.  Do you take one? Will it get damaged by baggage handlers?

7 - High chairs? What do you do? How do  you feed solids?

8 - Vehicle transfers (ie from airport to hotel) what do you do with no baby seat?

9 - Water - my DS refuses to drink water (drinking in general is an issue - he struggles with formula from a bottle too) and I'm worried he'll get dehydrated.  Do i add some apple juice or something to sweeten it? Or just keep struggling between now and April and hope he gets the hang of it?

10 - Lay overs in airports!  With all our stuff checked through, what do we do with a potentially screaming 11 month old with a 6 hour wait in an airport? What do we do if he wants to sleep but we've no where to put him?  Luckily we have Qantas club but its not going to be useful for all the waits.

I think this trip would really help me with my PND and be a great positive family experience, so I really want to try to resolve these issues so that we can go and have a great time.

#2 SplashingRainbows

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

I travelled to that exact hotel with a 7 month old - and was sooo nervous too. All went well though - hopefully I can help ease your mind.

1. I took nappies but we went for less than a week so it wasn't too much trouble. I'm certain it was the cheaper way to go.

2. check out your airline - but you can take infant food/formula on the flight. Just take extra in case you are delayed at all.

3. I took a good supply of rafferty pouches, museli bars etc - food that travelled well and kept for the week. However our baby ate local food (where I was happy with the quality of food hygiene). He loved the fresh thai food - I just made sure we ate from good quality places.

4. See your GP - mine put my mind at ease about the immunisations required (or not) and gave brilliant advice on things to do/take from a first aid perspective.

5. It will probably be better than you think - if not it is only one day!

6. We hired one but it was awful. At 11 months I think I would buy a $25 stroller from target.

7. Baby sat on our laps or high chairs in the restaurants. Baby can also sit on tiled floors with a rug or blanket. Washing is cheap cheap cheap over there.

8. We hired but if I went again I would see if I could take my own - we spent several hundred more on transport than we needed to just so we could ensure a car seat.

9. Ask your GP. Personally I'd add fruit juice to water if thats what it takes to keep the fluids up. Don't underestimate how much they can grow up in the space of days let alone weeks/months.

10. We took a baby carrier with us that we used to have baby in as needed. Meant he could sleep and I still had my arms free. Would that possibly work?

#3 marnie27

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:47 PM

Hi  original.gif

We took our DS to the USA at 9 months old for a month and last October we took both DS and DD (aged 3 and 15 months at the time) to Phuket for a week so I will try to answer some questions for you.  

1. We took nappies and wipes with us to Phuket.  We didn't really take me stuff over as it's so hot and we mainly packed summer clothes and swimming gear so plenty of room in our luggage.  

2.  Both our two were on formula when we travelled.  We packed two dispensers full of formula for our hand luggage and took empty bottles on the place.  We asked the flight attendants to fill them with boiled water so they could cool.  Otherwise bottled water will be fine - your DS will be almost one by then anyway.  We also took one made up bottle on the plane with us as drinking a bottle for take off and landing helps children "pop" their ear pressure.  We had no problems with security etc.  I'd take a full can of formula in my luggage plus a dispenser in the plane - the flight to Phuket is not that long (compared to our trip to the US when we were in transit for 19 hours).

3.  Pack some solids for the trip plus some extras but you will be able to buy them over there.  The sachet packs (Rafferty's etc) are great because they reseal and they are lighter than cans, won't smash like glass jars.  Also if you forget a spoon they can eat straight from the sachet.

4.  We didn't need any extra immunisations for our trip to Phuket.

5.  Flight was fine - DD slept most of the way (noise of the plane soothed her) but otherwise plenty of little things to keep him distracted, lots of snacks, that kind of thing.  For our long flight to the states we used a wrap to strap DS to us to sleep.  I couldn't relax when he was in the bassinette because I worried he'd wake up while I was sleeping, try to get out and fall.  In the wrap we could both sleep together.  We didn't use any medication (though we took panadol with us in case of fever or teething pain while we were away).

6.  We took a pram - it was fine and didn't get damaged.  We did take a cheap umbrella style pram (that still reclined) just in case it was lost or damaged and because it was lighter and easier to cart around - but we had no problems.

7.  Most restaurants in Phuket have highschairs anyway - we ate lots at our hotel and it was very kids friendly.  Otherwise we sat DD on grass near the pool, held her on our lap, sat on pool lounges to eat etc.  Very casual and easy to feed without worrying about the mess.

8.  We didn't order a baby seat - just took DD in the seat with us.  Made me very nervous but it was fine.  We also went in tuk tuks with her.  Not sure why I felt that was ok - we are extremely strict about car seats here.  However you should be able to take both a pram and a car seat with you (check the conditions of your ticket) and the cars/large vans we went in all had anchor points - you could request one especially.  I think we didn't worry as we didn't take a carseat for DS to the US as it was completely impractical - we mainly flew or trained around the states and there is no way we could have managed a car seat as well (plus we only would've have used it for 3 short drives).

9.  I would persevere with water.  He will drink more if he is thirsty over there.  You can also offer him watery foods (like fruit plus adding water to any purees etc).  Just remember to only drink bottled water (you guys as well).

10.  Baby sling?  Otherwise check if you can borrow/hire a pram in the airport or if you can put your pram in the actual plane.  We were allowed to for one part of our USA trip - DS slept in Hong Kong airport in his pram for hours - with me asleep on the floor hugging the pram and his feet (in case anyone tried to take him out!   laughing2.gif )

Phuket is a great place to go with kids - we really just lazed around the resort, watched fireworks on the beach and relaxed.  The people there were so friendly to the kids - to the point DS kept asking why everyone wanted to be his friend.  They were really helpful every time we went out to dinner etc - I had to tell the waitstaff that they didn't have to entertain the kids for us as I felt bad that they were already working hard enough.  We stayed away from the rough nightclub areas and the shopping was pretty boring (unless you like 3000 stalls of the same knock-off stuff).

Travel is a wonderful gift to give your children and I think starting young is great - our trip this year is to drive from Perth to Tassie and back again.  If you need any extra info about Phuket just ask.

#4 lis.seddon

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:03 PM

QUOTE (brighton14 @ 27/01/2013, 02:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I travelled to that exact hotel with a 7 month old - and was sooo nervous too. All went well though - hopefully I can help ease your mind.

1. I took nappies but we went for less than a week so it wasn't too much trouble. I'm certain it was the cheaper way to go.

2. check out your airline - but you can take infant food/formula on the flight. Just take extra in case you are delayed at all.

3. I took a good supply of rafferty pouches, museli bars etc - food that travelled well and kept for the week. However our baby ate local food (where I was happy with the quality of food hygiene). He loved the fresh thai food - I just made sure we ate from good quality places.

4. See your GP - mine put my mind at ease about the immunisations required (or not) and gave brilliant advice on things to do/take from a first aid perspective.

5. It will probably be better than you think - if not it is only one day!

6. We hired one but it was awful. At 11 months I think I would buy a $25 stroller from target.

7. Baby sat on our laps or high chairs in the restaurants. Baby can also sit on tiled floors with a rug or blanket. Washing is cheap cheap cheap over there.

8. We hired but if I went again I would see if I could take my own - we spent several hundred more on transport than we needed to just so we could ensure a car seat.

9. Ask your GP. Personally I'd add fruit juice to water if thats what it takes to keep the fluids up. Don't underestimate how much they can grow up in the space of days let alone weeks/months.

10. We took a baby carrier with us that we used to have baby in as needed. Meant he could sleep and I still had my arms free. Would that possibly work?

Oh thank you so much for your response.  You've made my day! original.gif I think we might go ahead and book!

How did you find that hotel with a baby? Did you use their port-a-cot or take your own?  

How did the luggage allowance work on the plane?

Did bubs get their own checked luggage PLUS checked pram PLUS check cot?  That seems like too much!!

How did you deal with formula in transit?  Just take a big tin of it and some bottles full of water and mix as needed?  

The thought of being on a plane for a long time with a baby gives me such panic - my little man is in the HIGH MAINTENANCE category of babies I'm ashamed to say.

Are there any tips of things I can do now to prepare him (and me) for the trip?

#5 lis.seddon

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

QUOTE (marnie27 @ 27/01/2013, 02:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi  original.gif

We took our DS to the USA at 9 months old for a month and last October we took both DS and DD (aged 3 and 15 months at the time) to Phuket for a week so I will try to answer some questions for you.  

1. We took nappies and wipes with us to Phuket.  We didn't really take me stuff over as it's so hot and we mainly packed summer clothes and swimming gear so plenty of room in our luggage.  

2.  Both our two were on formula when we travelled.  We packed two dispensers full of formula for our hand luggage and took empty bottles on the place.  We asked the flight attendants to fill them with boiled water so they could cool.  Otherwise bottled water will be fine - your DS will be almost one by then anyway.  We also took one made up bottle on the plane with us as drinking a bottle for take off and landing helps children "pop" their ear pressure.  We had no problems with security etc.  I'd take a full can of formula in my luggage plus a dispenser in the plane - the flight to Phuket is not that long (compared to our trip to the US when we were in transit for 19 hours).

3.  Pack some solids for the trip plus some extras but you will be able to buy them over there.  The sachet packs (Rafferty's etc) are great because they reseal and they are lighter than cans, won't smash like glass jars.  Also if you forget a spoon they can eat straight from the sachet.

4.  We didn't need any extra immunisations for our trip to Phuket.

5.  Flight was fine - DD slept most of the way (noise of the plane soothed her) but otherwise plenty of little things to keep him distracted, lots of snacks, that kind of thing.  For our long flight to the states we used a wrap to strap DS to us to sleep.  I couldn't relax when he was in the bassinette because I worried he'd wake up while I was sleeping, try to get out and fall.  In the wrap we could both sleep together.  We didn't use any medication (though we took panadol with us in case of fever or teething pain while we were away).

6.  We took a pram - it was fine and didn't get damaged.  We did take a cheap umbrella style pram (that still reclined) just in case it was lost or damaged and because it was lighter and easier to cart around - but we had no problems.

7.  Most restaurants in Phuket have highschairs anyway - we ate lots at our hotel and it was very kids friendly.  Otherwise we sat DD on grass near the pool, held her on our lap, sat on pool lounges to eat etc.  Very casual and easy to feed without worrying about the mess.

8.  We didn't order a baby seat - just took DD in the seat with us.  Made me very nervous but it was fine.  We also went in tuk tuks with her.  Not sure why I felt that was ok - we are extremely strict about car seats here.  However you should be able to take both a pram and a car seat with you (check the conditions of your ticket) and the cars/large vans we went in all had anchor points - you could request one especially.  I think we didn't worry as we didn't take a carseat for DS to the US as it was completely impractical - we mainly flew or trained around the states and there is no way we could have managed a car seat as well (plus we only would've have used it for 3 short drives).

9.  I would persevere with water.  He will drink more if he is thirsty over there.  You can also offer him watery foods (like fruit plus adding water to any purees etc).  Just remember to only drink bottled water (you guys as well).

10.  Baby sling?  Otherwise check if you can borrow/hire a pram in the airport or if you can put your pram in the actual plane.  We were allowed to for one part of our USA trip - DS slept in Hong Kong airport in his pram for hours - with me asleep on the floor hugging the pram and his feet (in case anyone tried to take him out!   laughing2.gif )

Phuket is a great place to go with kids - we really just lazed around the resort, watched fireworks on the beach and relaxed.  The people there were so friendly to the kids - to the point DS kept asking why everyone wanted to be his friend.  They were really helpful every time we went out to dinner etc - I had to tell the waitstaff that they didn't have to entertain the kids for us as I felt bad that they were already working hard enough.  We stayed away from the rough nightclub areas and the shopping was pretty boring (unless you like 3000 stalls of the same knock-off stuff).

Travel is a wonderful gift to give your children and I think starting young is great - our trip this year is to drive from Perth to Tassie and back again.  If you need any extra info about Phuket just ask.

Thanks so much for this!  Answered SO many of my questions!  We've been to Phuket once back in our pre-baby days and loved it so much which is why we really want to go back!

We live in Tassie!  To get from here to Perth takes longer than getting from here to Fiji!

You have made me feel much calmer about the logistics of feeding formula on the plane - thank you so much for that!  Between now and then I am planning on teaching him to drink his formula at room temperature to try to make things a bit easier!  I like the idea of using bottled water - so much easier.  

How did you clean the bottles while you were on holidays with no microwave/cook top?

So when you were in Thailand did you just hold your bubs on your lap in cars?  I'm thinking that might be the easiest for us.  We'll only be in a car on the way to the hotel from the airport and back again.  It seems like a lot of work for not much otherwise!

Where did you bubby sleep?  In a port-a-cot?  Did you bring it with you?

I don't have a formula dispenser.  Is there a particular sort that is the best to get?  What would you recommend?

Do you think there's much I can do now to prepare both of us for the trip?  I'm SO anxious but I know that it'll be worth it if I can just force myself to do it!

#6 Kasey5

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

I was wondering if it would be more relaxing for you to take a holiday closer to home, given what a difficult year you've had? I have travelled to the US with my then 22mth and 3 yo, which was a great holiday, but not the most relaxing. So many great beach locations in Australia, that would require so much less planning, and maybe help you recoup. I really felt it got much easier with my kids as they got older, and contemplating travel was less stressful. You could plan for OS travel for your next trip?

#7 IsolaBella

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:44 PM

Formula dispenser we used the Pigeon ones.

I estimate one bottle every three hours of travel (from estimated leaving home to estimated getting to hotel, then add another three measured formula sections in case of delays).

We packed two tins of formula for our Us trip with DS1 at5m when we confirmed his formula was not sold there.

Nappies also estimate one per 3hrs of travel plus extras for the plane. I also found if you wrap them in threes in glad wrap they take up less room.

Generally kids have a 10kgs luggage allowance.

When DD ended up with severe sunburn (yes went to hospital with it) and she needed to be kept hydrated n but would not drink water, with the agreement of the Drs I actually watered down her milk bottles. So instead of adding 150mls to 5 scoops I would add an extra 60mls of water to the bottle, at the time hydration was the more important item. Short term the Dr was happy with it.

Kettle in the room I used to swish boiled water through the bottles. Would use some dish washing liquid in a coffee cup to wash teats and rinse plastic coverings. A few drops of dish washing liquid in bottle and boiling water in bottle to swish around to clean bottle.

Room temp formula is a help. ,y kids were all room temp from 6wks of age.

#8 SplashingRainbows

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:55 PM

To answer your earlier question, we used the hotel cot - which was just a port-a-cot type thing. It was fine.

To be quite honest if I went again and were able to afford it I think I would book a seat for my baby and take their car seat for them to strap into/sit in. Solves the car seat issue and gives them more room and comfort on the flight. I've never done this before but read about it on EB and wish I had known at the time.

#9 epl0822

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:11 PM

Nappies- sometimes it's tricky to find a local store that sells the right sized nappies. I always think it's better to take dozens of nappies than run out.

Feeding- take water with you. When DS was on 150ml, for instance, I would fill the bottle with 180ml (in case of leakage) then just pour out whatever I didn't need. Or you can take water in a secure bottle that doesn't leak and pour it into bottles. It's easy to feed babies during transits as long as everything is prepared well. Use pre-measured formula dispensers. (And don't feel guilty about formula feeding - breast is NOT always best for everyone. You're doing a good job and your DS will be completely fine).

Solids- like nappies, it's better to take them. It's difficult to go to the supermarket as it is when you are overseas and not all places will store it.

Flight- My ILs kept insisting we should take tablets but I personally did not feel comfortable with this. Accept that flying with a baby is difficult no matter what. My DS refuses to sleep outside of his cot, too, so when we were on a day flight he just didn't nap at all. On an overnight flight he got so exhausted to a point where he practically passed out on me for a couple of hours but he did not sleep well. He just had a meltdown when we landed and slept for close to 10 hours throughout the day to catch up.

No carseat- I'm going to get flamed for saying this but Australia is on the extreme end of vigilence for carseats to a point where I think it's a little unnecessary and hyped up. We've been overseas where we've travelled without carseats and the only major issue we had was DS got hyperactive when unrestrained. You will find that the vast majority of people who live in other countries travel without carseats (notably in Vietnam where you might see a whole family on a scooter with a bub on a sling and toddler at the front) and have survived it unscathed. Having no carseat is only dangerous when you have an accident, and most of us in reality don't have major motor vehicle accidents in our lifetime. It is of course better to have a carseat but if you can't, don't stress about it.

Good luck.

#10 Feral Alpacas

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:57 PM

OP we are doing the exact same trip in 2.5 weeks, with a 3 year old and a 6 month old. PP's have pretty much said everything I would, except in regards to food, about 5 minutes walk from the Holiday Inn is the Jung Ceylon shopping centre, and the last time we went to Phuket, 4 years ago, there was a big Carrefour supermarket which sells everything Coles and Woolies does.

We will take enough nappies and wipes for a few days, but as we are going for 2 weeks we will buy the rest over there. We won't be taking carseats for the girls, during both of our previous trips to Phuket we never saw any road accidents, even though it looks like chaos on the roads!

DD1 is getting the typhoid jab, which can be given after 2 years of age, but DD2 won't be getting any extra. We are staying at Avista Hideaway and then the Novotel Vintage Park and are using their portacots. We aren't taking a stroller but will take the Ergo carrier and I am also going to buy a Breeze Baby sling to take as its made from cooler fabric and I can wear it and DD2 in the pool and have hands free. Phuket is very hot and I imagine I'll get hot using the Ergo all the time.

If carrying her becomes tricky we will buy a cheap stroller from the department store section of Carrefour and then donate it to someone before we come home. We are flying direct from Sydney to Phuket, and have a stopover of only about 3 hours between canberra and Sydney, and I am used to carrying DD2 in the Ergo heaps as she too is a high needs baby.

DD2 has already flown, granted it was only a short flight to Brisbane, but yeah the 8.5 hour flight is really the only thing I'm nervous about as we have only just got her daytime sleeps in the cot settled, and I have to stand and rock her to get her sleepy. If I'm stuck sitting because of turbulence it will not be a pleasant flight!

Edited by lovealpacas, 27 January 2013 - 10:00 PM.

#11 beabea

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:12 AM

For one week, just take a lot of nappies.

If fussy and on jars/pouches then take. If on fresh mashes, test before the journey to see if he will eat jars/pouches. I would take at least some, but might not be worth taking a lot in that case. For a week, don't stress too much if he only eats banana or something all week.

A lot of people travel with babies this age. You have to consider that they are not very well protected - then again, they are a lot more under your control in some ways, too. You should ask your GP to go through risks and what you can do to minimise them.

5 - 8 hour flight (I dont fly well) with a baby who refuses to sleep anywhere but his bed (we're working on it). Any tips? Do I ask the dr for sleeping tablets? What do I do?!
Survive? But don't stress. He might be ok and nobody will truly hate you. I would tend to book a night flight for ages 1-2 yrs as mine have been walking by then and a day flight would make them stir-crazy. A night flight they don't get a full night's sleep but the flight will be much easier. You just have to have a next-day plan which allows everyone to catch up.

6 - Prams. Do you take one? Will it get damaged by baggage handlers?
Depending on adult/kid ratio and ages of other kids, I would either ditch it for a good carrier or take a cheap umbrella stroller. Your odds with baggage handlers are pretty good.

7 - High chairs? What do you do? How do you feed solids?
The human high chair, if none available.

8 - Vehicle transfers (ie from airport to hotel) what do you do with no baby seat?
Take the car seat. It won't bother you to pack it for a one-stop holiday - not much lugging there.

9 - Water - my DS refuses to drink water (drinking in general is an issue - he struggles with formula from a bottle too) and I'm worried he'll get dehydrated. Do i add some apple juice or something to sweeten it? Or just keep struggling between now and April and hope he gets the hang of it?
Don't sweat it until April. April is a long time away in development terms for babies. If still in doubt in April, I wouldn't be above sweetening the water a little for that week, although I don't do it generally. Holiday rules!

0 - Lay overs in airports! With all our stuff checked through, what do we do with a potentially screaming 11 month old with a 6 hour wait in an airport? What do we do if he wants to sleep but we've no where to put him? Luckily we have Qantas club but its not going to be useful for all the waits.

Make do. The airport will be pretty distracting and entertaining. Catnap on lap/chest/in stroller/etc. Sleep and holidays don't mix all that well, in my experience. The upside is you will often be travelling with at least one extra adult so you can just shuffle around and catch up, as long as you don't overdo the sightseeing.

How did the luggage allowance work on the plane?

Did bubs get their own checked luggage PLUS checked pram PLUS check cot? That seems like too much!!

Check with your airline, but most give a baby allowance of 10kg, or allow you to check up to X baby items such as car seat, stroller, etc. I've never taken a cot - you can usually get them at the other end pretty easily, unlike car seats and strollers which can be trickier. This will be in addition to your 20kg each seated passenger or whatever you have - even with all the extra equipment I've never managed to fill even half our family quota. Remember tropical holidays don't require bulky clothing.

In between now and then...? Do all you can to train up your coping skills for little blips in the plan? And try not to stress? original.gif

#12 The 7 Dwarfs

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:37 AM

We haven't been to Thailand yet, but we have been to a few other Asian countries.

I pack enough in the main suitcases and have a nappy bag with enough for the trip. I do not buy nappies while on holiday.

2 - DS is on formula (don't hate me - part of the PND is due to guilt re: feeding struggles) and how do I feed him when we're in transit?
I've just taken formula in the nappy bag, bottles and got bottled water from the plane or airport

Same as above for nappies if you are using tinned, however by 11 months my children were all eating whole table foods.

Not at all.

5 - 8 hour flight (I dont fly well) with a baby who refuses to sleep anywhere but his bed (we're working on it).  Any tips? Do I ask the dr for sleeping tablets? What do I do?!
I wouldn't because the after effects of the medication may make him worse than the actual flight. For take off and landing, give him a bottle, the sucking will help with his ears. other than that all i do is pack some entertainment, lots of snacks and hope for the best.

6 - Prams.  Do you take one? Will it get damaged by baggage handlers?
yes I take one and I'm not the best person to ask for the next question because I've had 5 prams / strollers damaged while on holidays lol. I'd buy a very cheap stroller and take that. If you have a more expensive pram that you don't want damaged, leave it home.

7 - High chairs? What do you do? How do  you feed solids?
above mentioned Stroller

enjoy the fact I'm on holiday and experiencing another culture wink.gif . A lot of the local transport doesn't have seat belts never alone anchor points, so even taking your own isn't really effective.

9 - Water - my DS refuses to drink water (drinking in general is an issue - he struggles with formula from a bottle too) and I'm worried he'll get dehydrated.  Do i add some apple juice or something to sweeten it? Or just keep struggling between now and April and hope he gets the hang of it?
Do whatever you think is best for your son. If you think that will help, then just do it.

10 - Lay overs in airports!  With all our stuff checked through, what do we do with a potentially screaming 11 month old with a 6 hour wait in an airport? What do we do if he wants to sleep but we've no where to put him?  Luckily we have Qantas club but its not going to be useful for all the waits.

Maybe look into one of these http://www.bigw.com.au/baby/strollers/4-wh...CFfBHpgod6mIA4A

I'm pretty sure they fold down small enough to be taken on as hand luggage, so he could just sleep in there.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How I learnt to relax about routines

After many routine-led, tough years, we've realised that being parenting isn't about being perfect. It isn't about following a schedule to a T.

Should you have a third child or not?

I thought our family had been complete with our two boys. I had no idea how much I needed my daughter until she was here.

Helping a toddler embrace an adopted sibling

A single parent by choice, I am preparing to adopt a second baby from Morocco. And I face a special challenge.

When pregnancy messes with your self-esteem

Pregnancy doesn't make all women feel beautiful. It certainly doesn't raise every woman's self-esteem.

Join us in The BIG nappy change

Introducing the new Coles Little Explorer Nappies! You can confidently rely on Coles Little Explorer nappies at each stage of your child's growth, so take the Big Nappy Change and try new Coles Little Explorer nappies for yourself!

Robbie Williams live tweets wife's labour

And the award for most patient woman in labour goes to ... Robbie Williams' wife, Ayda Field.

Vaccine ignorance is deadly and contagious

In the absence of credible, strong political leadership, paranoia about disease can go viral.

Parenting differently based on birth order

All children have unique personalities, but keeping birth order in mind could help when parenting.

How to get rid of the mum guilt

Motherhood and guilt seem to go hand in hand, but there are ways to focus

Paid parental leave scheme grinds to a halt

The future of Prime Minister Tony Abbott's paid parental leave scheme appears to be up in the air, despite the fact it is due to begin in less than nine months.

The devastation of foetal alcohol spectrum disorders

No one's sure how many Australians are affected by foetal alcohol spectrum disorders, but the consequences for those who are can be devastating.

The pros and cons of finding out the sex of your unborn baby

It’s often one of the biggest choices parents make during the course of their pregnancy; to find out, or not to find out, the sex of their baby before it’s born.

Toddler's awesome dress up month

Two-year-old Willow and her photographer mum, Gina Lee, made October "Dress Up Willow Month". She posted photos of Willow's costumes on her Instagram account, and her creative takes on popular culture are simply adorable.

Childhood around the world

It can be easy to assume our ideas around childhood are universal, but they are particular to where we live, as these practices show.

Best picks for baby and toddler shoes

Here's a great selection of footwear from pre-walker to walker ensuring comfort and style for growing feet.

I lost my wife and daughters to Ebola - then it came for my son

Sunday, September 21, is a day I will never forget.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss. It involves toilet talk, and probably caused my miscarriage. But it needs to be talked about.

Prenatal testing: the facts

Prenatal testing is done to check if a baby has certain medical conditions before birth. Here is some important information about what the tests are for and the risks involved.

5 things to do with your baby?s old clothes

Did you think your only option for your baby?s old clothes was to pack them away or give them to the Salvos? Think again.

Why it's possible to not realise you're pregnant until the baby arrives

After hearing about 'surprise babies' born to mums who didn't know they were pregnant, it's common to ask "how did she not realise?" But experts say it's entirely possible for it to happen.

'My miracle is finally here'

How has the world continued on its pace when mine has been altered so drastically?

Dairy can help older women fall pregnant: study

Ice cream may be the ultimate comfort food, but a study suggests it could also help older women to have children.

Megan Gale goes topless for 'sexiest people' cover

Six months after a heavily pregnant Megan Gale posed nude for Marie Claire, the glowing new mum has gone topless for the cover of another magazine.

A new perspective on life from living with two diseases

A mother shares her personal story about the difficulty of living with two conditions, one of which stops her from being able to see her daughter's face.

Warning about Children's Panadol dosage

The Therapeutic Goods Administration has issued a safety advisory warning parents about confusion when using the dosing syringe supplied with Children's Panadol.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Take 'The Coles Big Nappy Change' Challenge

You could become part of our Test Drive team and win one of 200 packs of Coles Little Explorer Nappies as part of our 5-day challenge.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Join us in The BIG nappy change

Introducing the new Coles Little Explorer Nappies! You can confidently rely on Coles Little Explorer nappies at each stage of your child's growth, so take the Big Nappy Change and try new Coles Little Explorer nappies for yourself!

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Weird trend

Couple has five babies in 14 months

Julie and David Grygla weren't sure they'd ever have kids - but their dreams have now well and truly come true.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.