Shih Tzu
Any good for kids?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Greatmum

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:25 PM

Thinking of rescuing a Shih Tzu who is 1-2 yrs are they good with kids?  What are their pros and cons?
thanks

#2 HerringToMarmalade

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

Is it mixed? I've got a shih tzu x maltese. She's sturdier than you'd think for a small dog, and very patient with getting patted, ears pulled, squished hugs etc. She sleeps a lot, but will run around like crazy as soon as there's anyone to play with. It will need to be groomed semi-regularly, their hair grows long and can get matted.

#3 Greatmum

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:39 PM

No not mixed.  How often would you need to brush or get hair trimmed?

#4 Soontobegran

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:57 PM

I have a Shih Tzu/Maltese cross but is obviously more Shih Tzu than Maltese and she is the most amazing, placid and child friendly dog ever.
She is so very patient with all my grandbabies who have at some time pulled her tail or her ears, tried to ride her and given her squishy hugs. She has never growled, she waits for them to go and quietly retreats under the bed for peace and quiet. She doesn't shed hair at all and she doesn't smell like dog unless she is wet.
She sleeps for most of the day but loves walks and a play in the back yard.
Can't think of any cons except she needs her hair cut every couple of months and perhaps that she is yaps a bit when someone comes to the door but I think that is poor training on my behalf rather than a character flaw. original.gif Her hair gets brushed about once a week and her hair cut more often in hot months than winter.In  autumn/winter it gets done maybe twice, in spring/summer it is probably double that but I have it cut very short for the hot weather.

#5 causeway

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:04 PM

My childhood pet was a male purebred shih tzu. I agree with everything STBG says but would add that our dog was very single minded. If he decided what he was going to do, there was very little you could do. They love to be with people so would suggest that if everyone is at work and school during the day then you might need to find them some company! Beautiful pets!

#6 *Ker*

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:18 PM

I've taken them in resuce. They are stubborn little buggers!!! As PP said, VERY single minded! Think they're big dogs in a little dog package.

Their hair is the pits! It's fine and fluffy and tangles quickly. The ones I had, I had to brush every couple of days. I used to have them professionally groomed by a dog groomer friend. She'd clip them off for me so it was a lot easier to cope with. I'd say they'd need clipping every 6 weeks - 2 months if you didn't want a lot of grooming.

#7 gmc88

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:36 PM

Hi OP,
I have a shih tzu x maltese and let me tell you he is soooo full of attitude but I love him to pieces. I find they are quite territorial dogs and they like to let others know its their home & they are in charge!
They will love and protect their owners at all times and their snoring of a night time is just precious!!!
I have mine groomed every 4 weeks and his hair has never been a problem (we live in Qld though where it's constantly warm).

#8 Apageintime

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

Can someone tell me why there are so many Shih Tzu x Maltese around.

I see them on petrescue all the time and wonder why so many show up there?

Were they just bred as part of the small white and fluffy craze - or do they make a fun contraction (like Shihtese or something) that I missed the craze on?

#9 HerringToMarmalade

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

QUOTE (*Ker* @ 27/01/2013, 02:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've taken them in resuce. They are stubborn little buggers!!! As PP said, VERY single minded! Think they're big dogs in a little dog package.

laughing2.gif Its true, but in an adorable way. I've also found her to be very intelligent, she's picked up a whole lot of commands and visual signals that we never taught her, and our other dog never learnt.

I have mine groomed a few times a year, depends on temperature and how she's going. We just get a full clip every groom, costs about $60, so we don't often let her hair grow long. I have to clip around her face pretty often but that's easy enough to do.

And yes, I cannot sleep without her snoring in the same room, its just so comforting Tounge1.gif

#10 Peanut

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:09 PM

My parents had a female and now a male.  The female was a Shih Tzu crossed with Lhasa Apso and the male is purebred Shih Tzu.  As has been said before, very determined dogs but generally fine with kids.  Both had to be clipped regularly as the fine hair gets matted quickly unless you brush it every day.  The hair on the head does cause problems with their eyes which is why they usually have it pulled into a topknot to keep it out.  They also can have trouble with their jaws and the soft palate, which is where the snoring comes from!

They are very loyal though and are good guard dogs in that they will bark if anyone comes near to the family home (which could be a bad thing too, depending on where you live!).

#11 ♥~Bodhichitta~♥

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:17 PM

QUOTE (Peanut @ 27/01/2013, 02:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They are very loyal though and are good guard dogs in that they will bark if anyone comes near to the family home (which could be a bad thing too, depending on where you live!).

This.

My neighbour has 2 shih tzu's.  They are very prone to barking - every time someone walks past the door or they hear a noise it will set them both off.

They are great wtih my DS - quite happy to be carried around and patted and fussed over.

#12 DrDC

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:47 PM

Bit biased against, as my aunt had a male who at one time or other bit every child in the family "just protecting his food" but he would go for you if you even walked past his food bowl 4 foot away! Obviously this dog had significant training issues that should have been acted on lots sooner (never was, we all just avoided being around the dog) but they are territorial and so you'd need to really assess this dogs nature. However pet rescue organisations do usually do that, so as long as you do a good job of assessing him to our own needs, maybe it's fine...My sister hasn't Maltese cross (yup, one of those cute fluffy cross trends) who is gorgeous and wonderful with people and kids.

#13 Lazycow

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:55 PM

We have a pure bred Shih Tzu. He is fantastic with the kids, especially the toddler who loves to cuddle him. He spends most of his day snoozing, but as soon as the kids go outside to play he's off chasing the ball and running round with kids.

He can be quite stubborn, especially when I put him out at night before bed, if he doesn't want to go he won't. I also agree with *Ker*, our dog definitely suffers from little dog syndrome, and truly believes he is bigger than what he is.

He is very obedient to DP, but will ignore me unless DP is not around. biggrin.gif

As for his fur. We have him washed, groomed and trimmed every 6 weeks (we live in Perth, where it can get very hot). All in all he is a great family pet, and will probably have another when the time comes.

#14 shelly1

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

Can someone tell me why there are so many Shih Tzu x Maltese around.

I see them on petrescue all the time and wonder why so many show up there?

Hopefully Ker can correct me if I am wrong but Shih tzu/maltese were the first popular Backyard bred mutt craze (like poodle crosses are now). As a result some pretty average dogs (conformation and temperament wise) were bred and created some equally average pups. Poorly bred shih tzu and maltese can be prone to temperament problems, they seem to suffer from anxiety and can be chronic barkers so thats why once the cute, white puppy grows up it finds itself being rehomed on Petrescue.

I like shih tzus as a pure breed but they were originally bred as guard dogs and love a good bark which puts me off a little.

#15 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:40 PM

shelly has it in one. Malti-tsus are one of the most common BYB/puppy mill dogs. Small, easy to produce and they look as cute as the Dickens when puppies.

If you're considering rescue, ask to take the dog on trial, and check with the foster carers or rescuers to find one that has been temperament tested with kids (there are a LOT of these dogs around).

Get Pet Health Insurance - lots of possible problems because of the breeding for profit angle.

And, most important of all, enroll the dog in a proper obedience school. There is nothing worse on this planet that a small, yappy dog that is untrained and out of control. You want a good family member with excellent doggy manners - and you only get that through training. It also has the added benefit of building trust and a bond with your dog.

#16 *Ker*

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:00 AM

The other problem with the SWF's (small white fluffies) is that idiots buy them and don't train them. They think they are so small they can't do any harm and "oh, look at my widdle handbag puppy, isn't my baby just so precious" *smooch smooch smooch*. Blurgh. Said idiots forget it is a DOG and treat it like a BABY and then wonder why their cute little puppy bosses them around and become unbearable and unstable - so they dump it in the pound.

And yes, shelly is right. They were the first popular idiot designer dog craze. Every guy and 6 of his neighbours had one, and they all decided to make some bucks by letting them breed. So you have loads of crossbred litters running around, bred by idiots that know little, so they end up with horribly unstable temperaments.

It's quite a drawcard for d***heads. Throw two dogs in the backyard, have the female pump out litter after litter and sell cute little fluffy puppies for $200 each! Score! Then when mum gets too old to breed, dump her in the pound and get a new one. Or keep one of the pups.

Bah. Morons.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

New mum Megan goes topless

Megan Gale has posed topless for magazine's 'sexiest people' issue, five months after welcoming her son.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.