Singapore

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Poughkeepsie

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:18 AM

Hit me with everything I need to know about an awesome family holiday to Singapore....accommodation, sights, meals.
Much appreciated as am confused by google results!

#2 Fabulous

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:32 AM

I love Singapore. We took our kids there in 2011 for a week and our favourite places were the zoo, Universal studios and the Botanical gardens. Accomodation is quite expensive, we stayed at the Intercontinental. Food is pretty cheap.

#3 2bundles

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:50 AM

We just got back from 5 night there. We did Universal Studios, new aquarium, Sentosa water park, Legoland, Gardens by the bay, massages in Chinatown, and some time by the pool.

Singapore is not particularly cheap. You can eat cheaply if you eat at hawker centres otherwise meals were close to Aus prices. Taxis are cheap.

We stayed at Sentosa Island, but we had been to Singapore before so this time mostly wanted to just do theme park stuff. It was ok, but we wouldn't do it again.

Marina bay sands is amazing if the budget stretches that far, although the bedding setup is not great for kids.

#4 Poughkeepsie

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

Thanks for the replies. I have heard good things about staying on Sentosa, but wondered if it was necessary or if it was a better option to stay elsewhere and travel across.  I haven't been in 20 years so am sure things have changed massively!  
Any more ideas most welcomed original.gif

#5 baddmammajamma

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

Former Singapore resident here.

The above suggestions are great. My favourite spot in Singapore is the Botanic Gardens -- but the zoo, Universal Studios, Sentosa Water park & aquarium are all fabulous fun, too. Depending on the ages on your kids, they might enjoy strolling around Chinatown or Little India (Mustafa Department store is a real treat). http://www.yoursingapore.com/content/trave...afa-centre.html

The Jurong Bird Park is also very cool: http://www.birdpark.com.sg/, and the Zoo's night safari is awesome: http://www.nightsafari.com.sg/

Singapore is a great place for a family trip! How old are your kids?

Re accommodation...because cabs are so reasonable & because the MRT is so clean/cheap, if you are looking to save money, that's a natural place to cut back. All you need are decent rooms, a decent pool & access to transport.

#6 baddmammajamma

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

Former Singapore resident here.

The above suggestions are great. My favourite spot in Singapore is the Botanic Gardens -- but the zoo, Universal Studios, Sentosa Water park & aquarium are all fabulous fun, too. Depending on the ages on your kids, they might enjoy strolling around Chinatown or Little India (Mustafa Department store is a real treat). http://www.yoursingapore.com/content/trave...afa-centre.html

The Jurong Bird Park is also very cool: http://www.birdpark.com.sg/, and the Zoo's night safari is awesome: http://www.nightsafari.com.sg/

Singapore is a great place for a family trip! How old are your kids?

Re accommodation...because cabs are so reasonable & because the MRT is so clean/cheap, if you are looking to save money, that's a natural place to cut back. All you need are decent rooms, a decent pool & access to transport.

#7 ~Tranquillity~

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:22 PM

We're also planning a family trip to Singapore in the July school holidays, with 2 kids aged 7 and 5.

Badmammajamma, is it worth staying on Sentosa Island or just visit for a day? And would you recommend any of the nearby resort islands for a stay (Bintan and Tioman have been mentioned to us).

My head is being done in by reading Tripadvisor reviews of hotels- no matter which hotel it is or how many stars there will  be multiple reviews stating do not stay in this hotel- it was horrendous and was dirty, smelled bad etc etc !!

#8 runnybabbit

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:36 PM

I'm from Singapore but have lived in Australia for 10 years, although I've been back for a visit at least once every two years.

The ZOO! Not just the day zoo (which has an awesome water park, too -- don't go there with the kids until you've seen all the animals that you want to see, as it's quite possible that they won't want to leave the water play ground -- and bring bathers for everyone), but the Night Safari as well. There's also the new River Safari, which has PANDAS! I adore pandas. It only opened last year. So that's three aspects of the zoo right there. With the Night Safari, definitely pay the extra to get the tram rides, as some trails are only open to the trams and you won't get to see certain animals if you're only on foot.

Food. It's fantastic for a wide variety. Get to Crystal Jade for some fantastic dim sum (especially the Shanghai pork soupy dumplings, also known as xiao long bao). Hawker centres are also great for cheaper fare, although if you're Caucasian you will likely be borderline harassed by hawkers to buy their food -- just say no politely and keep going.

If you're walking down Orchard Road, you'll see some old men selling ice creams from their push cart -- usually $1 for a big wedge of ice cream stuffed in some rainbow bread, and it's delicious in the tropical heat. original.gif

If you want to splash out on accommodation, we stayed at Treetops apartments two years ago and they were fantastic, great location. Nice to have an apartment rather than just a hotel room, too.

And yes, taxis are cheap, but it can be a bit of a wait to get one if it's a rainy day, etc.

I'm personally not a fan of Sentosa because I think it's overall a little contrived (imported sand and all) but some people love it. I haven't been to any of the integrated resorts, either, but it's supposed to be great. If you google "National Parks Singapore" I think there's also a treetop walk (free) at one of the nature reserves, which I've been dying to do.

Singapore is fantastic, wish it was cheaper. We're going in May and I can't wait. My then two-year-old's head is going to explode when he goes to the zoo!

#9 2bundles

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:50 PM

With Sentosa - only stay there if you plan on doing multiple theme parks there. Otherwise don't bother.

We stayed at the Festive Hotel. It was ok, but very overpriced.

We found it hard to find accom that would take 2 adults and 2 kids.

#10 Hufflepuff

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:54 PM

We are going next year. Going to stay at the Swissotel. They take 4 in one room & seem to be in a good spot.

Hope to do the Zoo, Hawker Markets & lots of shopping!!!!

#11 beabea

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:51 AM

I wouldn't worry about the cleanliness of the hotels. The whole place is sparkling.

Stay on Sentosa if you are the type of person who would happily book into the resort at Disneyland. If not, don't. You can get there very easily for a day trip (you can actually even walk there from Harbourfront MRT station - there's a bridge).

How old did you say the kids were?

Zoo is always fun.

Chinatown and Little India for your cultural or souvenir shopping fix. (Not great for toddlers.)

Some kind of garden - Botanical/By The Bay. Botanical Gardens has children's garden with playground and splash park, good for under seven/eight.

The nearby islands (Bintan etc) are keen. If you like hectic holidays then spend a night or two, but unless you're staying for a longish trip then skip. You could always take a day trip to Pulau Ubin.

Some kind of national park - Kent Ridge, Mt Faber, East Coast, West Coast, McRitchie Reservoir.

Malls. Seriously, it's a cultural thing.

Marina Bay/Merlion/Marina Bay Sands. (Art Science Museum.)

If still wanting more: Jurong Bird Park, Kranji countryside, Science centre (Jurong), Air Force Museum, National Art Museum, Duck Tours, River tour....?

MRTs are a breeze.

Food likewise - you can always find something, usually a food court or hawker centre for the budget-conscious.

#12 Leelot

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:16 PM

Question for those that have been to Singapore recently and crossed over into Malaysia.

We will be travelling in May/June for 2 weeks. We would like to take our girls to Legoland and Little Big Town / Hello Kitty Town which is 5 mins away from Legoland I think??? What is the easiest way to move across the border for a day trip?  I have read that the trip is 20-25 mins from Orchard Rd to the border but you can wait up to 2 hrs to get through immigration both ways - does this sound right?

Sorry to hijack post OP. original.gif

For others who may be interested I have also been researching Singapore accommodation and the Lanson Place Apartments come highly recommended.  Works out about A$400-$450 per night for a 2 bedroom which includes separate lounge/dining/kitchenette, and washer/dryer. It is one street back from Orchard Rd near to Wisma Atria. I think we will probably book there for 7 nights and then the Hyatt for 5 nights as they also have a 2 bedroom suite, but obviously with a higher end price and amenities attached. We want the luxury but don't want to break the bank LOL

#13 2bundles

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:01 AM

We hired a car and drove to Legoland. It wasn't cheap, but it was our last day with a late night flight, so it gave us the flexibility of leaving whenever we liked and not having to go back to collect our luggage.

It was super easy. There were no queues at Immigration on either side. It was a Thurs. perhaps weekends are worse.

There are buses that service Legoland, but not sure about Hello Kitty. We didn't see any signs for that.

If you do drive, you need toll cards for both Singapore and Malaysia. This was $95 we didn't know about!  We still have them if you decide to go that way.

#14 antiq

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:28 AM

Holiday Inn Park View, just behind Orchard Road will accommodate 2 adults and 2 children in their room.  It has 2 big double bed in it and very convenient location.  I wouldn't stay in Sentosa.

#15 knickerless

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:25 PM

I second the Holiday Inn - email them direct to see if you can get a good rate, I did this and it beat all the usual Asiarooms etc

There is a roof top pool with a separate toddlers pool, a 7-11 across the road for drinks and snacks, walking distance to great shopping (used to leave husband and kids at the pool and have a couple of hours shopping:))

Breakfast is fantastic too, used to have a lovely big breakfast and then go all the way to the afternoon.

Re : Legoland...haven't been but apparently coaches go from the Singapore Flyer - need to book the day before.

Singaopore is an amazing place for children!

#16 Bluemakede

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:54 PM

I wouldn't bother staying at sentosa, only go for day trip or universal studios. You will end up getting annoyed having to travel over daily, and it is really quite boring there. The mrt is very easy to navigate, you can buy an ezlink card from one of the stations and top it up, easier than buying a card each trip.

For food if you want cheaper meals definitely eat at the hawker centres, or small restaurants selling local style foods. I would avoid newton hawker centre though, it's popular with tourists but doesn't have the nicest food (try perhaps simpang bedok, or east coast park, especially east coast if you like seafood). There are so many good hawker centres around with great ranges of food.

The kids should like the zoo and night safari, don't do it in one day though, it is tiring. Botanical gardens are beautiful, and there is the tree tops walk, you can get there easily from harbourfront met station (in vivo city). The bird park is great as well. There are many good museums to visit as well. I'd also look at all 3 of the ethnic quarters, they're all quite interesting.

For Lego land there are buses that go across, or if you hire a car there are 2 immigration points, woodlands and tuas (near jurong), I think tuas is the closest, though that one has a fee to use. If you have net access there are cameras that will show if there is a jam or not, the jams can be quite random, also Malaysia can be a bit slower on their side (and do make sure before you leave Malaysia side that they have stamped your passport). And make sure you have the toll cards.

I can't help with hotels, as I have never been there with kids and mostly stay with family, but the hotels I have stayed in have always been clean.

Edited by Bluemakede, 03 February 2013 - 11:57 PM.

#17 Rocket

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:06 AM

We all loved the hawkers markets. Everyone, even my fussiest eater found something they liked. And a hotel pool is essential.

#18 Lishyfips

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:45 AM

I lived in Singapore with young kids - it was great. I'd recommend the Josef Balas Children's Garden which is at the north end of the Botanic Gardens. There is a fantastic fountain and water play area so take bathers or a change of clothes. Takes a while to walk there from the main entrance but the visitor desk at the Children's Garden will call you a taxi when you're ready to leave, so you don't need to trek back to the main entrance.

If you visit the wonderful zoo, I have two tips... I found the late afternoon a better time to go than the morning: the crowds are clearing out, it's less humid and the animals become more active (and start to feed in some cases). And when you leave, take a regular taxi, not a shiny black town car. I had a town car driver tell me the fare would be the same as a regular taxi but it cost a fortune and he took a dodgy route.

Hawker centres and food courts are great (cheap) places to eat. We ate a lot of $3 chicken rice - delicious! Look for the vendors with the longest queues.

Oh I'm jealous now, I want a holiday in Singapore!

#19 unicycle

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:06 PM

The zoo also has a water play area. Get a brochure to see which displays, feeding times you want to see and plan around that. We loved the rhino feeding. A highlight for our kids.
Yes, there are grubby places to stay on Singapore . I have erased the name of one place from my memory!
Universal studios is only so- so if you have older kids. There is a brilliant new pass for sentosa t bout $100 a kid that lets them do heaps of the maxing tuff( not US) I think it is called the platinum pass.
Hire rollerblades at  east coast park. During the week it is 2hours for
the price of one before 6 pm
Take the lonely planet willing tour of china town. Note the tooth relic temple has 5 levels and a great museum.
The Chinese history museum and peranakan museum recorthwhile.
Eat at Din Tai Fun.
ETA stupid iPad . Hope you can make sense of this

Edited by triumvirate, 04 February 2013 - 11:07 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

For and against

Should Blue Ivy have been at the VMAs?

Many were quick to condemn Beyonce and Jay Z after appearing on stage at the MTV Video Music Awards with their two-year-old daughter, but others thought it was a sweet family moment. What do you think?

Toddler attacked at gym creche

Two-year-old girl Eva Ness was left with a black eye and bite marks on her face and body after an altercation with an older child at a health club's child-minding facilities. Now her parents are calling for the centre to be closed.

Pregnancy a tricky matter of timing for FIFO couples

Manipulating rosters, coordinating 'conjugal' visits, working on site with your partner; getting pregnant can prove stressful for FIFO workers.

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

Carseats have twice as many germs as a toilet

Most parents know their child's carseat is not always squeaky clean, but they might not realise just how dirty it really is.

Doctors remove foetus from 'medical marvel' after 36 years

Doctors in India have removed the skeleton of a foetus that had been inside a woman for 36 years.

Nine months in six seconds: new parents' Vine clip a hit

We?ve seen some memorable time-lapse pregnancy and birth announcement videos before. Now one new couple has taken it to the extreme, capturing it all in just a six-second Vine video.

Sonia Kruger speaks of baby joy

Celebrity mum-to-be Sonia Kruger has spoken candidly about using donor eggs and IVF to fall pregnant at age 48.

Dressing to not impress: life through the eyes of a three-year-old

When it comes to getting dressed, my three-year-old has only one criterion: ?I don?t want to look beautiful.? And now I've worked out why.

Special nappies made with love for angel babies

Angel Baby Nappies make and provide tiny bereavement cloth nappies for pre-term stillborn babies and premature babies who pass away in the NICU.

Inside the brain of a tantruming toddler

What's going on in your child's mind in the lead-up to a tantrum? And what?s the best way to respond?

5 secrets to a long-lasting relationship

When it comes to keeping your relationship strong, it?s what you do - and not what you want - that really matters.

When 'furbabies' meet real babies

I am obsessed with my dogs, and can't imagine loving them any less once my baby arrives. But that doesn't stop everyone from telling me I will.

The least popular baby names of 2013

Looking for a baby name that?s nowhere near the top 10 ? or even the top 1000? Try the bottom five.

'I was so sleep deprived I crashed my car'

There are no laws regulating driving while tired, but statistics show that driver fatigue is one of the top three contributors to the road toll.

Why are there so few sexy maternity bras?

Rather than feeling ashamed of their post-baby bodies, women should be free to buy lingerie that makes them look attractive and pretty - no matter what stage of life they're in.

Toddler Alliyah one step closer to first trip home

She has lived the first 14 months of her life in a hospital intensive care unit, but Alliyah Broadby's parents hope to finally take their little girl home with them.

'Put people before IVF profits': IVF pioneer Alan Trounson

IVF could be done for hundreds of dollars in Australia instead of $8500 if clinics stopped charging what ''the market will handle'', a pioneer of the technology says.

Expectant parents urged to swap the pub for bub

Nearly one in five women drink while pregnant, but a current campaign is trying to drive down that unhealthy statistic.

Nutella supplies threatened by bad weather

There's bad news for fans of Nutella, the gooey, chocolatey hazelnut spread.

The cost of growing your own vegies

Does it make financial sense to grow your own veggies, or are you better off ordering produce from the local food co-op?

Breastfeeding mums less likely to suffer from PND, but all need support

A new study has shown the a complex relationship between a mother?s intention to breastfeed, her ability to do so, and postnatal depression.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

Going viral

Mum gives birth at school

After four decades in the industry, pest controller John Birkett couldn't believe what he found in one woman's bedroom.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.