help my cousin picked the same baby name

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 peit

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:07 AM

i am eight months pregnant and we had a baby name we both love - Holly. but my cousin had a little girl last week and named her holly.

It is disappointing as much as i dont want to i feel like we have to come up with a new name.

Has this happened to anyone out there -did You change or keep your original choice?

does anyone have a name suggestion - i have a oddly spelled name so we want something that is known easy to spell but not too common.

Thanks

#2 Guest_LeChatNinjah_*

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:15 AM

If I were you I'd keep the same name I always planned on using.

There's no trademark on baby names.  You love the name, you are free to use it.

#3 FlamingoG

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:19 AM

I'd say it depends how close you are to your cousin - I don't see most of mine more than once a year, so it wouldn't matter if we doubled up on kids' names.

However I do think it's a chance to explore other name possibilities, which is so much fun and a good way to spend your last weeks of pregnancy! Millie is my suggestion... Good luck!

#4 LittleListen

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:19 AM

With 38 boys in our extended family, there are a number of identical names as the surname lends to a particular 'type' of name.

Some of them are named after each other on purpose too!

If you really don't like the idea maybe shoot a request off to the Baby Names Forum - the regulars in there have endless lists of names and ideas to inspire.

#5 bakesgirls

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:20 AM

I'd still use the name. It's not like they will be siblings with the same name, they will be second cousins or whatever the family connection is.

ETA- My eldest daughters name is Laura. My cousin named her DD Laura a few years later. It doesn't bother me and it clearly doesn't bother her. It's not a big deal.

Edited by bakesgirls, 27 January 2013 - 11:20 AM.

#6 mini mac

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:26 AM

Bugger!

If you're not too close to your cousin sure keep your choice of Holly. In principle I would too, but in reality I don't think I could do it, especially as the gap will only be a few weeks.

Or go with something kinda similar sounding... Molly. Chloe. Elly. Hayley??

#7 iwanttosleepin

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:27 AM

I wouldn't use the same name as my cousins.  there are so many beautiful names out there.  
I love Holly too so maybe some of my other favourites would suit:
Jasmin
Isla
Kenzie
Milla
Xanthe
Sophie
Laura
Mia

#8 Peppery

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:28 AM

I would still use the name. Lots of double ups in my family, we manage to distinguish which person we are all talking about with little confusion.

Edited by Peppery, 27 January 2013 - 07:29 AM.

#9 Mrs Dinosaurus

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:36 AM

Use it.

In our family their are cousins kids born a week apart, both would have been Isabella if they were girls, everyone knew, no one was worried (they weren't girls in the end so it didn't matter) - we also have plenty of double ups, everyone seems to cope.
Congratulations biggrin.gif

#10 Tiger Lilly

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:36 AM

I never see the big deal with having the same name as someone else. There are thousands of people with that name and chances are, your little one will come across many of them!

I would say it is more annoying to have multiple people with the same name in a workplace than in a family.

#11 snortle

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:39 AM

I wouldn't and didn't use the same name when I was in this situation, seemed kind of lazy not to bother picking out a special name for my child.
Theres an endless number of fantastic names so I chose another name and it actually suits much better than the original choice.

I would only still use it if the name had some really special significance.

#12 zzgirl

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:48 AM

USE IT!!

If its a name you love, use it.  Don't pick a name that you prefer as second best.  You don't have to be original - you've already picked a name - don't change it because of what someone else has done. (you picked it first - they just had the baby first)

A friend has just named her daughter exactly the same name as my daughter - same first name and same middle name.  I think if someone names your child the same as yours,  it is the ultimate compliment for a choice of name!!

Go for it!!

#13 kpingitquiet

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:52 AM

I wouldn't but that's because my cousins and I are in very regular contact and our family does holidays together. If I hardly ever communicated with them then I'd go ahead.

#14 tres-chic

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:02 AM

I wouldn't use it personally, I'd want something that noone else in the family had.

I'd only do it if the name wass 'the one' and I'd loved it for years and really couldn't bear not to use it, or it had family significance, etc. Otherwise I'd pick something just as lovely.

#15 Ingrid the Swan

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:13 AM

Depends on a few things.

Firstly, how often will you see your cousin and her DD? It would be different if you saw her once a year than once a week.

Secondly, what is the family dynamic? Is your cousin likely to be angry or upset about you using the name? Does the family love to create drama or do they normally get along? Is there someone who would delight in giving you a hard time for copying?

We decided against a certain name for DD as DP's cousin had used one similar just before DD was conceived and it was not worth the grief we would get from one particular aunt who loves to create drama and in particular targets DP's mum.

Effectively if you think it will spoil relationships or put a cloud over your DD's birth then choose something else, maybe use Holly as the MN. If you are close to your cousin and think she will be cool about it then at least give her the courtesy of telling her before your DD is born.

#16 elizabethany

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:15 AM

My cousin used my DS's name.  She asked, even though I didn't expect or require her to, and I was happy about it.  I picked it because it was a great name.  Why shouldn't I be happy that she was using a great name as well?

#17 Isolabella

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:20 AM

My cousin named her son the same as my sister did. Their boys were born 6wks apart.

No skin off anyone's nose.

Another cousins DD is the same name as my DN.

What is harder in our family is the fact that four out of five sisters married a Graeme/Grahame.

#18 Madnesscraves

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:21 AM

I'd keep the name OP. It's not the end of the world if you have 2 related people with the name Holly.

as PPs said. no one owns a name.

#19 katrina24

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:24 AM

If you choose not to use it - some similar names would be Poppy, Lily, Daisy and Ivy (ivy is a bit different but still a flower name).

#20 Fright bat

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:27 AM

I have two boys not only the same name, but the same sib set as a cousin! But, my cousin is 18 years older than me, her boys are 20+ years older than my boys, and we see then every couple years.

Funnily enough, no one in the family even noticed.

#21 LynnyP

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:28 AM

Depends.  Do you see each other often?  Will you not feel as good about the name knowing your cousin has it?  Are there other names you like as well?

I can see no problem in you using the same name if you wish.

#22 lozoodle

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:28 AM

Keep the name, holly is awesome original.gif

#23 Bam1

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:29 AM

It really depends on how you feel about the name, if it is the only one you love then I would use it. Its a fairly standard name so its not unexpected others have it.

Personally, I would prefer to have my children named differently to their cousins and so if a name had already been used, I wouldn't use it.

#24 Imaginary friend

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:34 AM

I would not use the same name as one of my siblings children - a similar name, yes, but not the exact same one - but any further family link from that I think is fine - same name as your cousin's baby seems fine to me, children are second cousins, thats not a close link - just make sure they have different middle names.

Only exception to this for me would be if the children had same surname AND were going to grow up in a small community together- where 2 related and close in age Holly Smiths in same school etc could be a problem.

Unless this is the case, then I see no problem at all - and Holly is not an unusual name atm, both children will come across other Holly's in their lifetime anyway and just looks like the coincidence it is - whereas if cousin had chosen a rare name like, say,Sapphire (just chose a name at random that I have only ever met one of) then it would look bit odd.

#25 WithSprinkles

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:45 AM

I'd choose a different name too (and be disappointed about it).

Suggestions:
Lily (seems to be less common than it once was)
Summer
Penelope (nn Penny or Ellie)
Jasmine
Alexandra (nn Ally)
Alice (nn Ali)
Bethany/Beth
Sadie

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Tell us what you think

to WIN 1 of 2 $500 Coles/Myer gift cards

Dealing with a toddler's morning tantrums

Your schedule is not important to your two-year-old, and you cannot convince her otherwise. So what can you do?

Child in suitcase 'could have died eight years ago'

A child whose remains were dumped in a suitcase in the South Australian bush is believed to have been a girl aged between two-and-a-half to four.

MP breastfeeds baby during parliamentary session

An Argentinian mum and politician has caused a stir on social media after being filmed breastfeeding her baby.

My baby's first seizure

It was 1am on a cold winter's night when I woke suddenly to the screams of my 12-month-old son. Our lives were about to change forever.

Portable pools 'more dangerous than permanent ones'

Inflatable and portable children's pools may be required to be sold with compulsory fencing to prevent backyard drownings, with some experts even floating the idea of a ban.

Heartbreaking moment mum kisses her one-week-old goodbye

At 11.07am on April 2 this year, Sarah Marriott welcomed baby Sebastian into the world.

The amazing Tee Pee bed and kid-friendly Frankie Bunk bed

These kids' beds definitely fit the brief of providing personality and personal space for little people who are moving up in the world.

The funny things kids say when you're pregnant

Since becoming noticeably pregnant, my son has taken more of an interest in the sibling he'll soon have.

The real problem with having one child

In this age of political correctness, it seems the one subject still subject to discrimination is that of the Only Child.

Six-week-old baby found dead, believed stabbed

A neighbour heard a child screaming before a baby was found dead, believed to have been stabbed, in a house in Newcastle.

The fire hazard in more than 70,000 Australian homes

So far, 206 Samsung washing machines have caught fire and some have exploded. But many remain in people's homes.

How having a baby can bring on OCD

We all know that having a baby can turn your life upside down - and it can also bring a raft of new anxieties and worries.

IVF gender selection being considered for Australian parents

Couples using IVF may be able to choose the gender of their babies and women could be financially compensated for donating their eggs.

The best age to get married (according to the latest study)

Not too young, and not too old. That's reportedly the best age to get married. Not everyone agrees.

Yes, you can get pregnant before your period returns post-baby

After giving birth, the last thing you want to think about is contraception. But you can get pregnant before your period comes back.

Fellow diner rewards mum after toddler's tantrum

Parents of toddlers everywhere know the feeling. After working up the courage to take your child out for lunch or dinner in public you are rewarded with a mid-meal meltdown. 

IKEA begins massive safety campaign after two toddler deaths

Two children were killed when pieces from their Malm furniture line tipped over.

Beaneasy: sweet nursery furniture with a twist

If you're looking to introduce an organic element into your baby's nursery but want to step away from natural timber, we have the perfect alternative.

A dad's guide to hyperemesis

I am in no way qualified to advise women on how to cope with hyperemesis, but I've learnt some lessons that might be worth sharing with other partners.

Woman adopts best friend's four daughters after cancer tragedy

Best friends share everything - and for these two life-long friends, that includes family.

Baby Leo's mum excluded from $500K trust 'for her own protection'

Samuel Forrest didn't want his wife as a trustee of their baby Leo's half million dollar trust for her own "protection", it has emerged.

Confirmed: men gain weight when they become dads

Men who become fathers experience weight gain and an increase in body mass index, a measurement of body fat based on height and weight, according to a new, large-scale study

Carer investigated over washing machine photo posted 'for a laugh'

She said the photo of a boy with Down syndrome in a washing machine was taken just for fun, but no one else was laughing.

Mum's premature labour nightmare after high tea salmonella outbreak

An opulent high tea at a luxury Melbourne hotel has left 44 people with salmonella poisoning - including a pregnant woman, who went into early labour.

The day my son started a fire

Would you know what to do in a fire emergency? How safe is your home and family?

Prince George celebrates second birthday

Prince George's second birthday has been marked by the release of an official picture showing the toddler smiling as he is held by his proud beaming father.

Which beauty treatments are safe in pregnancy?

Is it safe to use fake tan, hair dye and nail varnish during pregnancy?

The five ways I know my 'baby' is no longer a baby

The truth is, I can no longer deny that my walking, babbling, somewhat-independent little miss is no longer a bona fide 'baby'.

Review: Cybex Platinum PRIAM pram

I'm not usually one who believes in love at first sight but that's exactly what happened when I first saw the Cybex PRIAM.

Get your FREE Baby & Toddler Show ticket!

Get your free ticket to the Sydney Essential Baby & Toddler Show for September 25-27 - register online now.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Tell us what you think

to WIN 1 of 2 $500 Coles/Myer gift cards

Why I'm choosing to be a single mother right from the start

I believe that you get out of families what you put into them, and I will give mine my all.

Mother and baby units are a necessity for mental health, not a luxury

I have had two postnatal psychotic episodes. The first when my eldest child was six weeks old, and another after my second child was born.

30 French baby names

French names are always in fashion, but a few have risen in popularity in recent years.

New mum's Spanish maternity nightmare

A British woman who gave birth in Spain has told of her ordeal after spending weeks trying to convince medics the baby girl was hers.

Preparing Rover to be a good dog with baby

Some friends of ours say that it's dangerous to have a dog around a newborn and that we should start looking for a new home for him. Is it?

Company offers to ship working mums' breast milk home

First Apple and Facebook announced they would pay $20,000 towards the cost of their female employees freezing their eggs, now IBM in the US has come up with an innovative new policy aimed at retaining female employees.

Prince William speaks of his pride at wife Kate and 'little joy of heaven' Charlotte

The Duke of Cambridge opened up about family life and his plans for the future in an interview to mark his first day as an air ambulance pilot.

'Glowing' eye saves baby Mason's life

A simple photo taken in front of an evening fire gave new mother Sarah Bowers the power to save her baby's life. 

Parenting and decision overload

Of all the advice people told me before having a baby, no one warned me about the amount of decisions involved.

Proof that toddlers can't be left unsupervised - ever

Parents of toddlers all know the moment when realise your child is being suspiciously quiet. It can only mean one thing - trouble!

Meet Jeremy Ryan, The Voice contestant with seven kids

If you have trouble recalling the ages of Jeremy Ryan's seven children on The Voice, you're not alone. So does he.

Baby's adorable reaction to wearing glasses for the first time

Getting glasses can be a formative moment in a person's life.

Police officer buys supplies for family after mum of six caught shoplifting

When a mum of six was caught shoplifting nappies, clothes and shoes for her kids, the last thing she expected was for a stranger to pay for her haul.

Why pregnant women on antidepressants shouldn’t panic about birth defect claims

The risk of having uncontrolled depression is far greater than the small increased risk of birth defects that may be associated with specific antidepressants.

Arrests made over children's birthday party brawl

Police have raided properties and arrested a number of people over a brawl at a child's birthday party at a play centre in Sydney's west.

Family shares awesome drone baby announcement

Looking for a creative way to share some big news? Look to the skies, like this family did.

Young warrior Owen defies doctors' predictions

Little Owen DiCandilo's name means "young warrior", and it's a description that perfectly fits the inspiring 18-month-old

Advice for dads: when to approach your wife for sex

The exhaustion that comes with caring for young children often means romance between parents becomes a thing of the past.

I might be fat, but I don't need saving

I've been fat for pretty much most of life, besides a few crazy moments of being less-fat, but for the most part I've existed on this earth with a little more meat on my bones than desirable.

The rookie mistakes we make as parents

Since the dawn of civilisation, generation after generation of new parents have had to rely on instinct, trial and error - and sometimes get it wrong.

FREE TICKET

See Pinky McKay live in Sydney

Get your free ticket to The Essential Baby & Toddler Show and save $20 - register online now!

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.