Offsets and Redraws

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 BlueMeanie

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:43 PM

Does anyone use an offset account and find that it saves them money?

Looking at most of the banks, it seems that the privilege of an offset account costs ~ $15 a month, plus ~ 0.7% extra interest, compared to a fee free, unlimited redraw, no-frills loan.  

Everything I have read has said that offset accounts are the way to go because they can save you thousands of dollars, but my calculations say it would cost me a significant amount.  Have I got something wrong?

ps. We don't have plans to use the property as an investment down the track.

#2 jen88

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:48 PM

i'm certainly no expert but we have an offset account that has no fees and I get a very good rate on the loan. It saves thousands in interest, but I guess that depend how much $ you are anticipating being in that account each month.

#3 désir d'amour

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:49 PM

The money saved is on the interest.

Say, loan of 300,000.
Offset has $20,000 in it.

interest is calculated on 280,000, thus saving you X dollars.  

so even with a little extra fees and a smidgy higher rate, you can save money.

I'm not sure of the difference paying extra off the mortgage though, my knowledge isn't that good!

#4 cassi8

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:52 PM

The idea is that you use the offset as a savings acct so any money in there effectively reduces your mortgage balance and therefore reducing the interest charged on the balance. Over the long term the savings can be substantial and the money is still available if you need it for something.

I have one and it works for us. The interest rate is still very competitive with other standard variable rates and the offset savings more than cover the annual fee.

#5 B.feral3

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:54 PM

We use to have an offset account. It was free and offset 100%.
The bank then started charging us $15 a month so we got rid of it and just put our money directly onto the mortgage with the option to redraw anytime for free.
Now they want $50 every time we redraw and it's no longer free.  mad.gif

I am fed up with my bank so we are looking to remortgage with another. Many banks though have free 100% offset accounts. It's probably easier to go with offset rather than re-draw because you can put your wages and everything into it and have it separate at the same time whilst saving you interest. If they are going to slug you $15 and 0.7% though I'd either a. find a different bank or b. go with the free redraw option.

#6 IsolaBella

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:55 PM

Like PP we have professional package which has reduced interest rate and had he annual and monthly fees waived. We also keep decent money in the offset account.

So yes it does save us money. In 5yrs we reduced our mortgage by an extra $30 k.

#7 wannabe30

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:57 PM

I think it depends on whether you hAve any extra money leftover after paying the mortgage each month.  For us, we have a substantial amount in savings, which we add to each month. All that money sits in the offset/redraw and saves us far more in mortgage interest than we would ever make if we invested it.

However, if you don't have a lot of extra (either in existing savings or as "leftover" after each month's mortgage payment comes out) you are probably better off with a lower fee account.

Also, it's worth looking around for a better deal. We pay a yearly fee ($350??) for offset, redraw and credit cards, but we have no monthly fees and certainly don't pay any more interest for the privilege.

#8 B.feral3

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:59 PM

QUOTE (susan2000 @ 26/01/2013, 09:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Everything I have read has said that offset accounts are the way to go because they can save you thousands of dollars, but my calculations say it would cost me a significant amount.  Have I got something wrong?

Neither of them will 'cost' you any money, they will both save you money in interest that you pay.

One may 'cost' (or rather save you less money) than the other though if the offset has fees and a higher interest rate than the other mortgage that offers free redraw.

#9 SeaPrincess

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:16 AM

It very much depends on the bank or loan package that you have.  When we first took out a mortgage, the bank we went with told us that the extra interest and fees to have an offset account would only be worth it if we always had at least $10,000 in the offset, vs their fee-free no-frills package with free re-draw.  The only catch at the time was that the minimum re-draw was $2,000, but now it's only $500.

We currently have a Breakfree package with ANZ, which is good - offset and free redraw.

OP, look around some more, or speak to a mortgage broker.  You should be able to find something better, otherwise I would go for the no frills and free redraw.

#10 Pearlberry

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:55 AM

We have both an offset and redraw. The offset is our everyday account and can have anything down to zero in it.

In addition just after we get paid, we put a good  chunk of money into our mortgage (pay yourself first ;-)). We have agreed that money is only to be withdrawn to buy assets (investments).

We have still saved a lot of money from having the offset.

Ours is fee free for withdrawals and having the offset. We don't have monthly fees. Shop around and negotiate with the banks. Remember, they want your business.

#11 CountryFeral

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:03 AM

Our mortgage is with a building society, the offset account has no fees but only a limited amount of free withdrawals per month.

We were using it as our everyday account but have changed to a third account for that (as the 'too many withdrawal charges were making us grumpy), the offset is now our savings account, all my pay and a proportion of DPs go in there.

We have the redraw facility but have never used it (so far!)

Works for us.

#12 BlueMeanie

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:13 PM

QUOTE (Bek+3 @ 26/01/2013, 09:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Neither of them will 'cost' you any money, they will both save you money in interest that you pay.

One may 'cost' (or rather save you less money) than the other though if the offset has fees and a higher interest rate than the other mortgage that offers free redraw.

Yeah, that's what I meant.  original.gif

QUOTE (SeaPrincess @ 27/01/2013, 08:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It very much depends on the bank or loan package that you have.  When we first took out a mortgage, the bank we went with told us that the extra interest and fees to have an offset account would only be worth it if we always had at least $10,000 in the offset, vs their fee-free no-frills package with free re-draw.  The only catch at the time was that the minimum re-draw was $2,000, but now it's only $500.

We currently have a Breakfree package with ANZ, which is good - offset and free redraw.

OP, look around some more, or speak to a mortgage broker.  You should be able to find something better, otherwise I would go for the no frills and free redraw.

We're with ANZ now, and just put all our savings into the loan and a redraw when necessary. We've got the Simplicity Plus I think it's called, at 5.7%  If we switched to the Breakfree package we would need to maintain an average balance of $8000 in our offset account ABOVE what we are paying in extra now before we would even 'break even' with .the extra costs. Or so it seems from my calculations.   That's why I'm wondering whether I've got something wrong.

#13 FeralMuddyPuddles

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

We have the ANZ Breakfree package also. Offset is fee free, and its our everyday account so we take money out all the time for no charge. There's only an annual fee of $350 which we are fine with and the interest rate on our loan is 5.6%. I looked around at other options but have decided to stay with them for the house we just bought as its the best option we found.

#14 75etd

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

Definitely worth looking around both by yourself and with a good broker. We are with Suncorp and pay a $25 per month fee ($300pa) and have both the offset and redraw facilities. We've managed to negotiate a decent discount on the standard variable rate and a have split loans. We had no fees when we split the loans because of the professional package. We can have numerous offset accounts with or mortgage and have the childrens savings in one of the accounts. A pay them the interest they would have earned, and we are still ahead.  

As an accountant I would never use a redraw facility unless there really was no other option. I am happy to pay for the flexibility of the offset facility, as it enables flexible savings in a tax effective manner.

I can totally understand the limited or nil benefit of the facility if you have limited capacity to save and truly believe thereis no wary the property could ever be an investment property. Consider things like having to move away from the area for work knowing you would return a year later, death of a partner, receive some sort of windfall, etc

#15 ~*MissPriss*~

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:38 PM

Another way to maximise the advantages with the offset account is incorporating the use of a credit card. By putting all of you expenses on a credit card, you wages effectively sit in the offset account thus reducing interest. At the end of the cycle pay the credit card in full, therefor no interest on the credit card and your wages has worked harder for you.

Edited by ~*MissPriss*~, 27 January 2013 - 04:39 PM.

#16 BlueMeanie

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:44 PM

Hmm... It still seems that we've probably got the best product for us.  

At the moment, our total annual fees across all our loans and accounts is I think $73, we don't need to borrow enough to get any discounts with a professional package, and our borrowing capacity isn't high enough to warrant borrowing the maximum to use later as investment: with our maximum we couldn't really buy another property to rent the current one out.  We are on a single income at the moment, and will be for another 4-6 years. If something happened that I had to go back to work unexpectedly, then we'd restructure our finances anyway.    We do save quite a bit - probably $600 a month extra goes onto our loan - and we average $4000 in our transaction account and some savings accounts that I'm going to consolidate onto our loan. (I was using them to learn to budget a bit better.

But thanks for all your suggestions.  Personal Finance is a good description, I guess, because it is 'personal', and one size doesn't fit everyone.

#17 amabanana

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:59 PM

QUOTE (wannabe30 @ 26/01/2013, 10:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think it depends on whether you hAve any extra money leftover after paying the mortgage each month.  For us, we have a substantial amount in savings, which we add to each month. All that money sits in the offset/redraw and saves us far more in mortgage interest than we would ever make if we invested it.

However, if you don't have a lot of extra (either in existing savings or as "leftover" after each month's mortgage payment comes out) you are probably better off with a lower fee account.

Also, it's worth looking around for a better deal. We pay a yearly fee ($350??) for offset, redraw and credit cards, but we have no monthly fees and certainly don't pay any more interest for the privilege.

We do this too.
The credit card attached also has things like travel and transport insurance which we use.  That has 'saved' us money also.  The international travel insurance, for example, covers the whole family and means I don't have to take out a policy when we go on holiday.  original.gif  Using the credit card for everything and paying it off at the end of the month not only keeps the money in the offset account as long as possible but we 'earn' several hundred dollars worth of vouchers every year which helps pays for groceries.

#18 SeaPrincess

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:14 PM

QUOTE (susan2000 @ 27/01/2013, 10:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We've got the Simplicity Plus I think it's called, at 5.7%  If we switched to the Breakfree package we would need to maintain an average balance of $8000 in our offset account ABOVE what we are paying in extra now before we would even 'break even' with .the extra costs. Or so it seems from my calculations.   That's why I'm wondering whether I've got something wrong.

Our only cost is the annual fee, and the interest rate on our variable loan with the Breakfree package is currently 5.4%.

#19 MrsLexiK

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:39 PM

QUOTE (SeaPrincess @ 27/01/2013, 07:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Our only cost is the annual fee, and the interest rate on our variable loan with the Breakfree package is currently 5.4%.

You have obviously gotten your rate down because the website states the variables currently 6.4%, maybe 5.4% is the professional rate (I think that is what my simplicity plus rate is not the 5.7% listed - but generally our mortgage we got wouldn't have given us the lower rate) and break free according to the website is not available to the simplicity plus.

OP, we took out the simplicity plus because at the time, myself, my step father and the loan manager all worked out that we would need $10k in the offset to make it worthwhile. (Based on the difference in what rates they could give us, etc) we pay more into our loan then we need. At present we haven't used it, I basically look at it as we can't redraw on it unless we need it (ie DH gets fired and we need to pay the mortgage, we would just use the funds in there) I know I wouldn't be as disciplined having the money sit in the offset.

Now our income and savings has grown and we could have $10k sitting there in savings and save money on interest I know it is "safer" sitting in our savings account which I don't see when I log into my app or Internet banking. Maybe when our incomes have grown again in a few years we my relook. I have just now developed the discipline to put everything on the credit card and paying off in full and not sticking more on then we can afford.

Edited by MrsLexiK, 27 January 2013 - 06:41 PM.

#20 GoodGollyMolly

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:49 PM

We save hard and have an offset account. Both our pays go into it and I have set debits that allocate cash to other accounts for everyday spending/bills etc.

DH loves logging in to Internet banking to see how much interest we're saving by having the offset (which it calculates daily). At te moment we're saving over $200 a month with it.

#21 Ally'smum

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:16 PM

The money in our offset is saving us $150 per month, the annual fee to have it is $400 so it is worthwhile at the moment, but with less in the savings account or paying less interest on the loan it might not be.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

WIN two Sea-Bands plus $1000

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band Prize Pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos Gift Card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.