Do I now get it?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 cb2

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:45 PM

OK so have been trawling through posts and threads and websites and the like for healthy eating plans/what to eat/ etc etc

As for the healthy eating plan I wanted something listed Mon-Sun that I could follow but could find no such thing (if anyone has please link for me)

So I have come up with this and want to run it passed you to see if I am missing anything......

To lose weight/be healthy/more energy

Basically have protein at most meals as it fills you up
Drink heaps of water at least 2L to keep well hydrated
Cut down or cut out soft drinks, and sugary drinks such as juice
Increase fruit and vege intake and have at most meals or for snacks
Do exercise for 30 mins each day if can if not every other day even walking is a good start and no cost
Cut out sugary and fatty foods such as lollies, chocolate, sweets, cakes, biscuits, fried foods like hot chips, burgers etc etc

Bfast ideas: 2 eggs poached on 1 slice bread
Scrambled eggs x2 with spinach/mushroom/tomato
Wholegrain cereal

Have full fat milk not low fat
Lunch: protein with veg/salad
chicken with salad
tuna with salad
ham with salad
salad with boiled eggs or cheese

Dinner same as lunch or grilled chicken/fish/steak with veges especially greens

Snacks if wantes fruit /nuts/full fat youghurt with berries
Dip such as hummus with vegie sticks

Try and keep a food diary
If have a bad day don't beat up self get back up and start again

Really you don't need to follow a crash diet or anything special it is a lifestyle change

So is there anything I have left out?
I am also putting this in wiriting as a reference for myself to refer to

Thanks heaps for your suggestions and assistance

#2 ChunkyChook

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:54 PM

I have recently had something 'click' with me also. It has taken a while and I can't wait until it becomes habit and I dont have to actively think about what I am eating constantly.

There is so much awesome healthy food out there. I have started shopping at my fruit n veg shop and butcher, then doing a tiny shop at the supermarket.

I am being very strict at the moment, I am in a hurry to lose weight but after my time away I really want to focus on the healthy part of eating rather than eating for weight loss. I am basically eating rainbow food, milk and light philly is the only white stuff I have eaten for a while. Oh and chicken and fish are white too.

I am enjoying it. Did I just type that? 3 months ago I would never have dreamt I would be eating like I am now.

Good luck staying focused. Anyone can do it if I can.

ETA: 'Naughty' food is fine if you can control yourself. It's about having grilled fish and a couple of chips every once in a while instead of a piece of flake and a huge pile of chips every Friday night. Making your own burgers with super lean mince, heaps of salad, no cheese on a multigrain bun. I still eat subway, I just dont have cheese or meat, it goes on wheat bread and I dont have mayo on it.

Edited by ChunkyChook, 26 January 2013 - 07:01 PM.

#3 andyk

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:58 PM

I have followed a pretty similar plan to yours since last October and have lost about 7kg, got 6 more to go. I walk every morning before breakfast and have steadily tried to increase the amount of time to 45 mins and add in a few hills to get my heart rate up. I don't worry about keeping a food diary.

For me also my portion sizes were an issue so I have cut them down dramatically. I also have 1 night a week as my night off but still keep portion size of my 'bad' food small.

Oh and don't weigh yourself religiously this just makes you feel bad when it goes up or not down as fast as you think it should.

Good luck I hope you do really well, I know you will feel great when you notice your clothes getting looser.

Edited by andyk, 26 January 2013 - 07:03 PM.

#4 bebe12

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:00 PM

HI,

Spices are your friend

Watch portions sizes

Rule of thumb 1/4 plate protein, 1/4 plate carb 1/2 plate veges (some fruit)

Your list seemed to miss carbs- remember the brain runs on glucose so it is a needed food group - but not in modern portions

#5 raven74

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

Just a tweak for more proficient weight loss:

Bfast ideas: 2 eggs poached on 1 slice bread  ONE slice wm toast, ONE egg, one slice of Adelphi hamScrambled eggs x2 with spinach/mushroom/tomato One whole egg, two egg whites
Wholegrain cereal  Porridge oats

Have full fat milk not low fat
Lunch: protein with veg/salad  no more than 100gms of lean meat and lemon juice/balsamic vinegar only as dressing
chicken with salad
tuna with salad
ham with salad
salad with boiled eggs or cheese lose the cheese
Dinner same as lunch or grilled chicken/fish/steak with veges especially greens  No potato (sweet only) 100GMS meat only
Snacks if wantes fruit /nuts/full fat youghurt with berries
Dip such as hummus with vegie sticks

Why full fat only?  If you're calorie counting you really need to go low fat or skim.  
Water only, no soft drinks, juice, alcohol etc.  

I'm on a pretty rigid diet and exercise program at present and the diet is certainly aimed at 100gms (often 85gms) of lean protein, salads, sweet potato, green vegies etc.  No processed foods at all.  
Worked wonders so far, 4kg's in 3 weeks and 15cms.  
To really burn calories and up metabolism trying to do some weights based exercise is a good idea too if you can.

Good luck and feel free to PM me if you want an idea of my daily diet plan etc.  It's hard, but being overweight? That's harder!

#6 Agnodice the Feral

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:10 PM

Way too much protein, OP. Some protein is good and necessary. Too much will just give you gout. Also remember the non-animal sources of protein such as lentils. Animal protein only is higher in calories and full of artery clogging fats. Eat a lentil salad for lunch.

Remember that carbs can fill you up for less calories than protein - as long as by carbs you're talking about whole grains in minimally processed form (brown rice, farro, quinoa (which has a heap of protein anyway), barley, rye, steel cut oats to name a few).

#7 axiomae

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:32 PM

I always cut carbs out to ally when trying to drop a few (lost 15kgs a few years ago, so I know it works!) Calorie counting is the best way - high protein, low fat, low carb. Salads, veg, and lean protein. Cant go wrong!

#8 cb2

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:32 PM

Thank-you all for your replies. They are really helpful and give me info/ideas I never knew.

AvadaKedavra: too much protein really? Ok thanks so I should either have protien for bfastand dinner and just salad for lunch or protein lunch and dinner and cereal (so carb) for bfast??

Raven 74: thanks heaps for your tweaking very useful. I said full fat milk as I have read boith on here and websites that full fat fills you up and has less sugar as usually low fat is full of sugar to make it taste better?? Am I wrong?
Bebe12: thanks for the rule of thumb very good to know!!
chunky chook and andy thanks for your reply/knowledge and confidence boost original.gif

#9 axiomae

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:40 PM

Don't worry about eating too much protein. It's the best way to shift the weight, anecdotally of course! If you're going to have carbs have them for breakfast.

#10 cb2

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:47 PM

Shall do axiomae. I find I get really bored and sick of having eggs all the time so am looking for a good cereal to have any suggestions?? As an occassional not everyday thing. Most say oats are the best

#11 Who is me

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:04 PM

Sounds pretty good. As far as low fat milk goes, it doesn't contain added sugar, but is slightly higher in carbohydrates. You could compromise and have light milk, rather then skim or full fat.
If having cheese, go for low fat cheese. When it comes to added sugar and low fat dairy, the issue is more with things like yoghurt, which have added thickeners to make them more palatable. Cottage cheese, ricotta and low fat cream cheese are a good option. I'm also a fan of Parmesan, as a little goes a long way. A little bit grated on some vegetables or salad will add lots of flavour (I stress, a little bit, like a couple of teaspoons).
For added protein, without the fat, add some kidney beans, chick peas, or quinoa to your salads.
You don't need to do high protein, and a lot of people find that unsustainable long term. Go for moderate carbohydrates, moderate protein, low fat, and pay attention to your potion sizes. If you are still hungry, add lots of greens to your meals.

#12 cb2

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:22 PM

Great tips thanks Matthias' mum
As for the quinoa I have never cooked it. Is it similar to cook and taste like cous cous? What other uses are there for it?

#13 emlis22

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:17 AM

Here are a few of my tips
1. find a breakfast you really enjoy. No point eating porridge if you don't want it. I wouldn't be eating two eggs for breakfast - maybe one on two slices of wm toast with spinach OR toast with ricotta, tomato and rocket.
2. No carbs after lunch. If you enjoy pastas, breads etc - eat these at lunch time! You can still have stirfrys, bolognese etc  for dinner just dont have the rice/pasta! Fill your plate up with veggies and a tad of protein (I usually have 110g-150g protein)
3. Go to bed hungry (but not starving). This is easy if you know you have a good breakky to look forward to. So see 1. It also lets yourself know that you haven't stuffed your face all day, so it's rather satisfying.
4. Don't go crazy with fruit. The calories can add up really quickly. Veggies really are the way to go.

Edited by emlis22, 29 January 2013 - 08:19 AM.

#14 matt1972

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:31 AM

Plan long term. Don't fall into the 21 day, 30 day, 12 week program mindset because it is a fallacy. You have to plan for the rest of your life. There is no point gearing your food around a deadline because you have to make changes and choices to last you forever if you want the body you desire to last forever.

Learn how to cook food that you enjoy eating and is good for you. If someone says "have a lentil salad" and you hate lentils then don't waste your time. Find what you like to eat and enjoy making and then food preparation will be less of a chore.

#15 Mootmoot

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:50 AM

It's been mentioned before but I'd really emphasise portion size.

Take nuts, for example.  Yes they're great as they fill you up and have the right sorts of fats.  But they're really calorie-heavy, so an appriopriate snack would be say 10 almonds.   It's so easy to overestimate serving sizes and to have them creep up.

I'd start measuring things (maybe not vegetables, but definately pasta, meat, cereal, rice, dairy etc), at least for a while to start with until you adjust to appropriate sizes.  It can be a surprise how small some portions should be, such as pasta or cereal or even meat.  Fill the rest of the meal with veg (not just potato, mind!).

The level of exersize you've outlined is good for general health but unlikely to make any difference in weight loss.  And make sure you don't compensate for exersize by eating more (I can have this biscuit because I had a walk today...)

Otherwise it sounds pretty good to me, OP.  I'm not one for no carbs/ no white foods/ no dairy after lunch etc - for me it's about eating a good variety of healthy foods in reasonable portions (and it worked for me).  I do believe in low-fat dairy though - you get as much of the good stuff like calcium but it's an easy way to cut a lot of calories.

You asked about breakfast ideas: for breakfast I love porridge with almonds (4) and honey, cooked with water but with a little milk poured on top; two wheatbix with a banana and a spoonful of low/no fat yoghurt and low-fat milk; baked beans and spinach on toast.

I tried the protein and salad approach to lunch but I'd always be so hungry still unless I had some bread!  I found wraps great as you can stuff heaps of salad in them.

EFS

Edited by Joey11, 29 January 2013 - 08:51 AM.

#16 Clever Clogs

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:03 AM

Depends on what you read and who wrote it. I eat fruit, veg and grains. I aim for no more than 20g protein per day. Basically I eat the opposite of lots of the people on here. My advice would be very different!

#17 Agnodice the Feral

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:03 AM

QUOTE (cb2 @ 26/01/2013, 08:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
AvadaKedavra: too much protein really? Ok thanks so I should either have protien for bfastand dinner and just salad for lunch or protein lunch and dinner and cereal (so carb) for bfast??

QUOTE (axiomae @ 26/01/2013, 08:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't worry about eating too much protein. It's the best way to shift the weight, anecdotally of course! If you're going to have carbs have them for breakfast.

There is a thing as too much protein. It really isn't good for you. There's also the wrong sort of protein - protein is good only if it is low calorie and filling. Many proteins are not. Get a calorie counter like calorie king and look it up. Also get a good set of scales and weigh things out. You'd be surprised how small a piece of fish or chicken, or how little pasta/toast constitutes a 'serve'. And what you'll find is that a 'serve' of whole grains generally has less calories and leaves you more full than a serve of protein. The comparison is not white bread or white rice vs tuna, it's brown rice or buckwheat or farro vs tuna. You'll find the grains win every time.

You can't lose weight and not feel a bit hungry so don't try (just as you can't exercise and expect to not feel a but sore). I'm not talking ravenous year my stomach out hungry. But if your stomach isn't properly grumbling before your next meal, then you ate too much at the previous meal. And you're not eating to feel 'full' - you're eating to stop being hungry, if that makes sense. And the drop is blood sugar/fuzzies is a myth perpetuated by snack food companies. Your body is very good at regulating your blood sugar within narrow limits - it will do this either from the food you eat or the fat you've stored. If you're trying to lose weight, you are trying to use stored fat. So eat less and let your body do that.

Quinoa is yummier than cous cous, but you use it in the same way as you would rice or cous cous. Just buy it from a reputable place (otherwise South American farmers are starving for your food).

Edited by AvadaKedavra, 29 January 2013 - 09:06 AM.

#18 MrsLexiK

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:05 AM

QUOTE (raven74 @ 26/01/2013, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why full fat only? If you're calorie counting you really need to go low fat or skim.
Water only, no soft drinks, juice, alcohol etc.

A lot of low fat yoghurts have higher sugar content, or more calories though same with milk. (though IMO the extra in milk is not that large) and also the artifical sugars they use in some of them are bad for you, OP you just need to make sure you find the right ones.  Or if you can stomach buy natural yoghurt and add stevia (sp?) to it or a few berries heated in the microwave for a little while.

QUOTE (cb2 @ 26/01/2013, 09:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great tips thanks Matthias' mum
As for the quinoa I have never cooked it. Is it similar to cook and taste like cous cous? What other uses are there for it?

I think it tastes ok, some people think it tastes biter.  I buy the macro and give it a quick wash (just don't tip it down a strainer with big wholes as it will go down the sink.  As opposed to using water to cook it I add a bit of dried herbs to the water to begin with (either lemon pepper or just a dried herb mix).  It takes about 10 minutes, you cook 1 cup quinoa to 2 cups water.  Even my DH eats it.  I chuck it in a casserol, have it as I side like I would plain rice (but with the lemon pepper or herbs added), or do a bit of seeded mustard to give it some more flavour or add some stuff to make it more a salad or side of rissotto (as in do a mint, cuccumber, onion and tomatoe = salad, add mushroom, zuccini pumpkin = more a rissotto feel to it)

QUOTE (matt1972 @ 29/01/2013, 09:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Learn how to cook food that you enjoy eating and is good for you. If someone says "have a lentil salad" and you hate lentils then don't waste your time. Find what you like to eat and enjoy making and then food preparation will be less of a chore.

Agree with this, I will throw lentils into one casserol I make and the odd time into spag bog but I couldn't stomach a lentil salad.  I can eat raw chickpeas but in a curry or whatever blergh give me heaps more veg and chicken.  I find that I make a lot of things from scratch (stir frys sauce, tomatoe based things, etc) meaning I control the calories.  I LOVE honey mustard chicken it would have to be my all time favorite meal - have you read the kj and fat content on the pre made jar?  I buy a small tub of either natural yoghurt or sour cream (light), add the mustards and add a bit of honey.  I use no where near as much sauce as they would.  Same with honey soy and garlic marinade, I probably use 1/10 what a bottle would use.

I love to eat spag bog, but I can't eat it over pasta every week.  So I cook it and eat it with a bunch of veg.  I love a rissotto as well but to eat a bowel of it (even though I only make it with homemade stock and don't add any cheese and usually use brown rice) I can't do this (others can but not me) so I cook it up and freeze it into smaller portions and pull it out to serve with say a peice of grilled fish, or turkey stakes etc. (or for lunch it is yummo for lunch)

I don't like salad for lunch in all honesty (unless it is a more bruchetta mix - sans bread, or tabouli salad or a cold quinoa thing) I am not a huge lettuce lover at the best of times, I much prefer my veg cooked.  A can of tuna over a bag of those steam fresh veg is a go to lunch of mine.

Also if you eat 6 small meals a day 7 days a week that is 42 meals a week, you can afford to have 2 unhealthy meals/snack in there and 2 semi unhealthy meals/snack in there, so if you want a chocolate bar once a week go for it, just make sure it is not every day and it is not a massive king size.  If you do have that unhealthy snack/meal I find I do that little bit extra that night in way of exercise.

#19 Molondy

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:39 PM

OP I think your plan is pretty good as a starting point but ultimately you may have to tweak it to suit yourself.

Some people like a protein rich lowish carb diet and thrive on it. Some are the opposite. I personally find that some protein at every meal suits me and to reduce calories I try to have starchy carbs like pasta, bread, rice and potatoes at 2 out of every 3 meals max (sometimes only 1). YOu have to be flexible otherwise you could die of boredom (protein and salad every day/night would drive ME balmy).

Good luck.

#20 credence

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:58 AM

OP there is so much conflicting advice in this thread. No wonder it's so hard to lose weight.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.