i think my partner has ADHD or Aspergers

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Tessarose

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:41 PM

hope i am posting this in the correct section.

long story short, i believe my partner has ADHD or even Aspergers.
we have been together for 8 years.
I love him, and i can not imagine my life without him.
i always suspected that he has some emotional issues, not sure how i came across of ADHD symptoms but when i was going through symptoms, i thought to myself, OMG this is it.

here are a couple of examples why i think he has it.

- he is    very impulsive. his behavior sometimes can be seen as very aggressive / rude.
-    fidgets all the time, he can not be still, he always has to do something with    his hands. picking nails etc.
- doesn't listen, always interrupts    others
- no patience!! at all!!!
- doesn't have many friends. can be sometimes very    rude without realising that he is super rude and that's not how to talk to    people. or just speaks his mind and say what he really thinks.
- likes to talk about his day and what he is about to do    or just did. sometimes he talks to himself, and sometimes he talks to me. likes to blurt out answers and doesnt listen to other people and    just likes to be heard.
- takes him ages to finish something. like small project at home.
-    normally he can not multitask. and in order to finish something he needs to    fully focus on one task. ei can not drive and change radio station or open    windows. only able to do it at the red light.
- can not control him emotions like anger or frustration (especially when playing PC games)
- he can never clean up after himself, very forgetful.
- i can give more examples, but thinking about his behavior makes me feel pretty sad.

if its not ADHD, i think it is something else. however the problem is that he will not do any counseling or will not see a psychiatrist for this.

couple of years ago when we broke up for a couple of months, i tried to get him to attend counseling with me, and he was extremely against it. i dont know how to bring it up, and if i do, he will just think i am nagging him or something.
he might listen to a GP, but i am unsure of how to get a GP to even suggest to see a psychologist.
his family cant really help us, as they are overseas and we dont talk to them often.

I should probably mention that we are expecting our first baby in a couple of months...

Edited by Tessarose, 25 January 2013 - 11:45 PM.

#2 Holidayromp

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:40 AM

Oh dear - if he doesn't want to seek help then you cannot force him.  So you must take what you get at face value - can you put up with it long term?  Also because you are expecting a baby it is going to inject more stress into the relationship.

Did you pick up these things before you TTC?

It is a tricky situation because the fact you are asking questions on this page means that there are issues developing.

Also the fact that you broke up a few years ago speaks volumes - there were issues back then.  Why did you get back with him if he is not going to seek help and even go so far as having a baby with him?

If it had been me a few years ago there would have been noone I would have got back with him until he sorted his own self out the fact that he didn't speaks volumes on how he regards your relationship.

#3 I'm Batman

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:56 AM

Go to drs. get a refferal to a psychological pratice as they have the ability to diagnose and give medication.

Make sure he goes.

I would be at my wits end if my partner was still like that, it was important for our marriage that he was treated properly, I had enough.

#4 Cat People

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:10 AM

Sorry OP but he just sounds like a big jerk to me.  I've known adults with those disorders and they were nothing like that.  Perhaps because they received help when they were younger.  But I don't see anything you have listed there that could be attributed to ADHD, or ASD.  Sure some things could fit, but the worse part of his behaviour just sounds like general d***head behaviour.

If he won't help himself, there isn't a lot you can do.  

If he's easily frustrated and  aggressive, it will probably only get worse when the baby comes as a new baby is a stressful time.  Sorry to be all 'doomsday' but you have to be realistic here.  It sounds like an awful situation to be in.  Speak to your GP about getting some counselling for yourself.  At least you will have a safe place to vent and the counsellor might be able to give you some tips.

#5 IamzFeralz

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:23 AM

I have a son with ADHD and have spent a lot of time researching this condition, reading books on the subject from the library mainly.

Based on your description, I think its very worth checking out the possibility of ADHD with a psychologist.  Having an ongoing marriage/relationship problem is considered to be another possible symptom of ADHD as well, although not by itself.  It's also possible that your partner may have a look alike condition but a good professional would be able to distinguish between these for example picking up on ASD.

It sounds like it is impacting on both your lives in a major way and it sounds like you want to save your relationship.

You may be interested in a forum for adults in ADHD marriages ADHD Marriage.  It has lots of articles as well.

Edited by Henndigo, 26 January 2013 - 11:26 AM.

#6 overthehill

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:28 AM

QUOTE (Holidayromp @ 26/01/2013, 09:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh dear - if he doesn't want to seek help then you cannot force him.  So you must take what you get at face value - can you put up with it long term?  Also because you are expecting a baby it is going to inject more stress into the relationship.  Did you pick up these things before you TTC?  It is a tricky situation because the fact you are asking questions on this page means that there are issues developing.  Also the fact that you broke up a few years ago speaks volumes - there were issues back then.  Why did you get back with him if he is not going to seek help and even go so far as having a baby with him?  If it had been me a few years ago there would have been noone I would have got back with him until he sorted his own self out the fact that he didn't speaks volumes on how he regards your relationship.

I don't think these comments are helpful to the OP, she is looking for helpful advice.

#7 misty85

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:58 AM

It does sound like he may have ADHD.
My partner has just been diagnosed with ADHD and started taking his meds today. I have already noticed a difference.

I had been saying for years he might have it but no one would listen.

I read a post on her a few weeks ago about someone who's partner had ADHD and the impact it was having on their relationship. It could have been me writing it.
I was at the point that if his behaviour didnt change i would have to leave, I couldn't take much more. I told him this and explained what I had read about ADHD and that others had tried meds and councelling and they felt so much better for it.

I think me telling him i would leave and explaining the symptoms of ADHD and how his behavior fit with them gave him the kick up the bum he needed to get checked out. He also couldn't understand his behavior when i explained it to him so he knew there was something wrong.

He feels better already just having a diagnosis for why he is the way he is. Also with him starting to understand and take responsibility for his ADHD symptoms, it has helped our relationship.

Maybe try to get him to see how his behavior is not appropriate. It took me few months to get DF to see his behavior was not appropriate but he sees it now.

#8 Holidayromp

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:08 PM

QUOTE (overthehill @ 26/01/2013, 12:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think these comments are helpful to the OP, she is looking for helpful advice.

and it is not helpful that you pick holes in posters suggestions without offering any thing useful yourself.

Alot of it was food for thought for the OP and the knowledge that someone out there has reached out to her.

#9 Feral Nicety

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:12 PM

HR if you think your post was helpful, it probably wasn't.

You blame her for taking him back and getting pregnant.  You blamed him for not realising he had issues and getting help before he came back and outright say his not knowing he needs help 'speaks volumes',

NO, no it doesn't.  Lacking insight into one's issues means one lacks insight, no more, no less.

OP to a certain extent you can ask and insist that he gets help if  your relationship is to continue.  That pathway means you have to commit to following through on leaving though if he feels there are no issues.

#10 baddmammajamma

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:38 PM

QUOTE (Madame Protart @ 26/01/2013, 10:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry OP but he just sounds like a big jerk to me.  I've known adults with those disorders and they were nothing like that.  Perhaps because they received help when they were younger. But I don't see anything you have listed there that could be attributed to ADHD, or ASD.  Sure some things could fit, but the worse part of his behaviour just sounds like general d***head behaviour.

I disagree.

My first impression, OP, when I read your list was the same as Hennigo's & misty85's impressions (we are all living with ADHD in our own families): certainly enough potential "red flags" to warrant concern.

Of course, none of us here is qualified to dx anything, but based on what you've shared, I can see why you think ADHD and related issues are worth exploring.

Common symptoms checklist
http://www.additudemag.com/adhd/article/621.html

(In addition to the link that Henndigo provides, ADDitude magazine online, where I pulled the above article, has some great resources  -- lots of articles & links related to adult ADHD & relationships with a partner with ADHD).

Do you think your husband would be receptive if you shared your concerns and insist that he seek some professional support? What are you prepared to do if he says "No?"

I hope you are able to convince your husband to seek some help. I also with Madame Protart's suggestion that you might want to consider professional support for yourself.

Talking to his/your GP would be a good place to start. If you are willing to say where you are located (general area), perhaps some EBers who have adult ADHD or a partner with ADHD could recommend particularly effective professionals.

Good luck. It sounds like you have a lot on your plate. I hope everything works out for the best for your entire family.

Edited by baddmammajamma, 26 January 2013 - 12:39 PM.

#11 Mpjp is feral

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:55 PM

My dad is autistic, and many of the traits you describe are shared by him. Personally I have struggled to delineate which behaviours are characteristics of his disorder, and which are just part of his personality. There was a thread here a while ago started by a woman whose dh had ( or she thought had, I can't remember) aspergers, and I know she was shot down for ascribing traits such as aggression to the disorder.
For me it would come down to will he get assistance or won't he? Once you know that then you can make YOUR decisions. Personally I couldn't be in a relationship like that, but I may be biased by witnessing my parents marriage. If you stay you need to accept him as he is, and get yourself some support, and learn strategies for dealing w him and keeping yourself sane (keeping in mind good psych's won't diagnose through a third person).
This of course, is assuming he's not neuro-typical, and that the traits you describe aren't just 'him'.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win $1000 with Sea-Bands!

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

Misery loves Facebook

Facebook users are often criticised for only showing the positive, fun parts of their lives. But what about when it swings the other way, when someone uses it for the purposes of ranting about their children all the time, never posting anything positive?

Toddler's adorable impersonation of pregnant mum

Little Ellis has noticed his mum is walking differently lately, and his impersonation of her is hilarious.

'Forgotten baby syndrome' can happen to any one of us

When my third child was two months old, I strapped her into her car seat, then promptly forgot all about her. But she survived, unharmed, because it was winter, and I was lucky.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

Ten things I've learned about motherhood

Never take a good night's sleep for granted. There is no logic like toddler logic. Standing on Lego hurts every time. These are the truths of parenthood.

Parenting past the toddler years: what's next?

Your baby has grown into a toddler, and now your toddler is fast approaching the preschooler stage. What can you expect as a parent?

Tips on what to pack in your hospital bag

Before giving birth I read countless lists, ended up overpacking just a little, and now know what I'll actually want to pack next time.

New app keeps tabs on your kids at childcare

Popular new technology lets parents know what their children are up to at childcare - but not everyone is a fan.

21 things I love about newborns

There?s an irresistible magic about newborns. Of course they're not all smiles and rainbows, but they are undeniably cute and remarkable in so, so many ways.

Kid-friendly hairdressers: who says haircuts can?t be fun?

I?ve found some salons who boast setups ideal for children ? you name it, they?ve thought of it. All are designed to make haircuts fun rather than stressful.

Labour pain relief may reduce risk of postnatal depression: study

Postnatal depression is a complex condition, but researchers say pain relief during labour may help some women.

Why we need better support for men after miscarriage

In a recent study, 85 per cent of men admitted feeling sadness after their partner miscarried, but almost half said they didn't share their feelings at all. What can be done to help them?

Mum in business: Kristy Chong

Kristy Chong is the managing director of Australian-made Modibodi underwear and a mum to Lucas, 6, Jason, 4, and Isaac, 6 months. She shares her advice for other mums thinking about starting their own businesses.

From toddler to preschooler: a developmental roadmap

So your toddler is growing up and will soon be entering the preschooler years. Here are a few ways to frame their development that will help you understand what?s going in those beautiful, funny, clever little heads of theirs.

Mum sacrifices an eye for her unborn baby

Motherhood is full of sacrifices, but this woman has made a life-altering one - and her baby hasn't even been born.

A grandparent by any other name

A growing number of grandparents are shunning tradition and going against conventional names - but a grandparent by any other name still gives the same awesome cuddles and kisses.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

When labour just doesn't happen

After three healthy kids, I can?t help feeling I?ve been a little ripped off. I missed out on something I had always wanted to experience, and now I?ll never get the chance.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Win $1000 with Sea-Bands!

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.