Extra income
eBay, Gumtree, surveys etc.

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 TheWizardsGirl

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:35 PM

I'm about to go on maternity leave (half pay) and looking at ways to assist with finances.

I already sell on eBay and use Valued Opinions. We always use the FlyBuys card and about to redeem points for FlyBuy dollars to spend on groceries.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?  Am thinking about getting into the comping thing.

Any suggestions/thoughts?

TIA!!

#2 Purelle

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:46 PM

I do ironing, it's at home, costs me nothing and on the nights I am "working" I have absolute control over the television. !!! I charge $30 for an unfolded basket and 40 for folded basket $40 for those large square baskets. I encourage my customers to buy the wardrobe half boxes from removalists so they can pick up their clothes already hanging. I do regular and "help I'm behind" clients. One man use tp pay me $150 to wash, fold and iron his clothes fortnightly!!! And the best part (you can do it in your pjs any time of the day or night when you look like crap and no one will complain) As long as you make under $50,000 you don't pay tax, and just check with centre link re your payments. Mine were mostly friends and family so some weeks I'd do well, others, not so good. Up to you how far you want to take it, but it's good money for jam original.gif Besides I'm one of those weirdos that love ironing  ph34r.gif

#3 bailee

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:48 PM

I also do surveys on line - dont get much but I cash in for a $20 shopping voucher about every 6 weeks. I have only joined one company though (can send you an invite if you are interested). I also do some mystery shopping. I dont consider either income sources really, just little bonuses here and there. eg I have been saving my bunnings vouchers and we are almost up to $200 which will cover the materials for a small project we plan to do in the next few weeks (we love diy here).

#4 TheWizardsGirl

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:51 PM

Never thought of that!! We aren't entitled to any Centrekink payments so that's not a worry. Maybe just the tax man...

#5 Jellyblush

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:54 PM

I do airbnb. It's definitely not for everyone, but if you have a spare room and are a social, warm person, it might be for you.

www.airbnb.com

#6 niggles

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:54 PM

I was going to suggest ironing, or cleaning. I've found there always seems to be people looking for a reliable cleaner and once someone has you, 3 others want you. With a newborn you could take them with you potentially. Someone in my mother's group did office cleaning when her son was very small and he'd nap in the pram while she cleaned.

#7 mummytotwo

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:55 AM

Just check with your accountant for tax advice. You do pay tax if under $50,000. You just don't need to be registered for gst. (You don't charge gst, you don't claim gst either)

#8 bjk76

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:43 PM

Hi,
    I'd recommend Nielsen Homescan as an easy way to make a little bit of pocket money. You have to sign up with them and if they decide they need someone with your profile in your area, they'll send you out a scanner. All you do is scan your groceries every time you buy something (even if you shop online) and you get points each week, which add up to gifts or gift cards you can redeem. They also have weekly and other competitions.

I've done it for maybe 1.5 years and have earned about $200 from the weekly scanning, which isn't a lot, but it's a lot easier money than doing all the online surveys. I also won a weekly competition just before Christmas last year, and received a $200 Visa gift card to spend anywhere.

http://www.nielsen-onlinereg.com/?cpid=1C01C0

#9 bluecardigans

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:02 PM

That's fantastic Purelle. Being able to do it in your own time is a great bonus.  I can't iron to save myself.

#10 Sassy Dingo

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:40 PM

QUOTE (Purelle @ 25/01/2013, 10:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As long as you make under $50,000 you don't pay tax, and just check with centre link re your payments. Mine were mostly friends and family so some weeks I'd do well, others, not so good. Up to you how far you want to take it, but it's good money for jam original.gif Besides I'm one of those weirdos that love ironing  ph34r.gif

This is totally unbelievably wrong.

Why do you think you don't pay tax if you earn under $50K? The tax thresholds apply to all income whether it is from salary and wages or business income - there are no separate tax thresholds for business income. Why should a teenager working at Maccas for $20K a year be taxed but not someone running their own business earning $50K?

Could you be thinking about GST instead? The threshold for registering for GST was $50K - a long time ago. It is now $75K.

Income tax and GST are separate though, you still need to declare business income earned in your tax return, which you will be taxed on (depending of course whether you exceed the tax free threshold).

#11 luke's mummu

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:25 PM

I do mystery shopping. I am registered with about 10 different companies. It's not heaps of money, but if I'm at the shops already I might as well earn $ 12- $15 while I'm there. The other good thing if that if the jobs are reimbursement for expenses, I don't need to put them down as income (according to my tax agent).

I used to belong to Valued Opinions but I figured out I was earning $6 an hour, so I stopped. Mystery Shopping pays $20-$25 a hour.

Edited by luke's mummu, 09 February 2013 - 07:01 PM.

#12 Sassy Dingo

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:01 PM

QUOTE (luke's mummu @ 09/02/2013, 05:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I do mystery shopping. I am registered with about 10 different companies. It's not heaps of money, but if I'm at the shops already I might as well earn $ 12- $15 while I'm there. The other good thing if that if the jobs are reimbursement for expenses, I don't need to put them down as income (according to my tax agent).

The difference is that your tax agent has made the decision that your mystery shopping is a hobby. There are a number of things you need to consider when deciding whether some income is a hobby or not (hobby income isn't taxable). I would imagine your tax agent would have considered that there is no profit making intention, you don't conduct yourself in a business like manner, that sort of thing and the scale of the money you're making. The PP with the ironing business though sounds like she has regular clients and earns a decent amount from it.

Sorry to hijack the thread talking about tax, but I've read that the ATO is focusing on ebay/facebook sales especially to determine whether people are paying the right amount of tax. Don't want you to get caught.

#13 Peridot

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:09 AM

I started the sign up process for the Nielsen thing.. But stopped once it wanted heights and weights for everybody in the house.. Weird

Edited by Peridot, 14 February 2013 - 11:09 AM.

#14 bjk76

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:38 PM

Peridot - I don't recall doing that when I signed up to Nielsen....! That's weird! huh.gif If they did happen to collect that information, they haven't asked any more about it. All it is, is scanning your groceries! DH and I have changed weight since we started with Nielsen and they haven't asked us for an update of personal information such as weight. Maybe it's a new thing...?!

#15 Queen Bey

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:12 PM

QUOTE (bjk76 @ 09/02/2013, 03:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,
    I'd recommend Nielsen Homescan as an easy way to make a little bit of pocket money. You have to sign up with them and if they decide they need someone with your profile in your area, they'll send you out a scanner. All you do is scan your groceries every time you buy something (even if you shop online) and you get points each week, which add up to gifts or gift cards you can redeem. They also have weekly and other competitions.

I've done it for maybe 1.5 years and have earned about $200 from the weekly scanning, which isn't a lot, but it's a lot easier money than doing all the online surveys. I also won a weekly competition just before Christmas last year, and received a $200 Visa gift card to spend anywhere.

Thanks for the tip, just registered with them online and now I'll wait to see if I'm selected  wink.gif

#16 Let_it_Rain

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:21 PM

QUOTE (bjk76 @ 16/02/2013, 11:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Peridot - I don't recall doing that when I signed up to Nielsen....! That's weird! huh.gif If they did happen to collect that information, they haven't asked any more about it. All it is, is scanning your groceries! DH and I have changed weight since we started with Nielsen and they haven't asked us for an update of personal information such as weight. Maybe it's a new thing...?!

I was asked the same things, and stopped as well. I am not putting in all that private info on DH and DS for a few dollars.

I do PureProfile and Reward Central surveys for a bit extra.

#17 *melrose*

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:30 PM

I do ironing, it's at home,
Sounds like a good idea.

#18 Guest_*SnowFlower*_*

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:42 PM

Edited by *SnowFlower*, 20 February 2013 - 03:08 PM.

#19 Purelle

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:42 PM

I checked with my accountant and my ironing is registered as a hobby. I only do it for family and friends and its certainly not a business. I recommend anyone that is earning money outside of a employer check with an accountant. My circumstances mean I can earn up to $50k without paying tax, not everyone's will be the same. So sassy dingo it isn't totally unbelievably wrong. I am registered with an Abn.  mad.gif

#20 meeganh

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:36 AM

QUOTE (bjk76 @ 09/02/2013, 02:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,

Thanks for this info!  I've just completed the registration process so I'm crossing my fingers that they need someone in my area original.gif

#21 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:52 AM

QUOTE (Purelle @ 17/02/2013, 10:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I checked with my accountant and my ironing is registered as a hobby. I only do it for family and friends and its certainly not a business. I recommend anyone that is earning money outside of a employer check with an accountant. My circumstances mean I can earn up to $50k without paying tax, not everyone's will be the same. So sassy dingo it isn't totally unbelievably wrong. I am registered with an Abn.  mad.gif

I too believe you are playing fast and loose with the tax laws.  Hobby is making a few cakes for people and covering your costs.  Ironing for multiple people week in week out, earning almost $1,000 a week is a business.  

Relying on an accountants advice is not a defence.

#22 Rusky99

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:15 AM

QUOTE (meggs1 @ 06/03/2013, 08:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I too believe you are playing fast and loose with the tax laws.  Hobby is making a few cakes for people and covering your costs.  Ironing for multiple people week in week out, earning almost $1,000 a week is a business.  

Relying on an accountants advice is not a defence.

I agree with this as well.  It sounds like you are doing it to earn money - not just for a hobby.

I work in tax and I think your accountant sounds very dodgy.  I am sure the ATO would not agree with your accountant's view.

If you are doing something with the intention to earn money (eg. by cleaning), it is income that legally needs to go on your income tax return.

#23 CupcakeMumma

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:22 AM

But is that $50k nett or gross?  Cause the tax rates kick in at $18,000??

#24 flakyfish

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:29 AM

Sorry, this sounds dodgy. I was under the impression you can't register for an ABN if you're just a hobby.

#25 HRH Countrymel

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:29 AM

Your accountant is steering you wrong Purelle.

As PPs have said $18 200 is the point where tax becomes payable.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win a Mountain Buggy Swift

To celebrate Essential Baby reaching half a million Facebook fans, we have a Mountain Buggy Swift to giveaway to a lucky fan.

Shopping with kids: breaking the pester-power cycle

You're out shopping with your little one and they're incessantly whining that they want a treat. It's easy to say no ... the first time, at least.

eBay jacket may hold clue to murdered girl's identity

A jacket similar to the one found with the remains of a brutally murdered little girl in South Australia has been identified on eBay.

New mum forced back to work early due to paid parental leave 'technicality'

Shelley Parker had to keep driving buses until the date her baby was due and will have to rush back to work at the end of this week after being denied paid parental leave on a "technicality".

Pregnant Amanda Palmer poses naked for book drive

It has to be the most original way ever of promoting a children's book donation day.

The conception dilemma facing many parents today

Some parents who conceived through a sperm donor will be wary of telling the child, while others prefer to deal with it early on. But recent research suggests it makes little difference either way.

The wedding photo the bridesmaid would rather forget

We've probably all seen a passed-out bridesmaid at one wedding or another, but it usually happens towards the end of the night.

Pregnant TV meteorologist takes on haters

Pregnant TV meteorologist Katie Fehlinger has hit back at haters who called her a "sausage in casing".

Honest words from first-time mums

I didn't want to say anything negative to my pregnant friend, but I wish I'd been more honest.

Adorable baby experiences rain for the first time, couldn't be happier

Harper had seen rain from the comfort of indoors before, but had never had the pleasure of being outside and experiencing it first hand.

What it's really like to start a family in your fifties

Many people suppose that it must be much more tiring to have a baby in middle age, but all the mothers in the playground look exhausted, whatever their age.

'Biggest hypocrite ever': Josh Duggar admits to Ashley Madison account

An American reality TV star has been busted with a cheating website account, according to US media.

Long recovery ahead for girl hit by car weeks after baby brother's death

A little girl is more alert and starting to talk after being hit by a car a week ago, but still faces a long recovery.

How to react when a toddler lies

Q: My almost-3-year-old is starting to figure out that he can lie when asked if he ripped the book, threw the food, hit his brother, etc. Totally normal, I know. How do we respond?

The circular experience of a Centrelink client

A mum-to-be experiences the frustration of dealing with Centrelink, myGov and everything in between.

Kelly Clarkson announces live on stage: 'I'm pregnant!'

Singer Kelly Clarkson has announced she is pregnant with her second child during a concert in Los Angeles.

Hack

How to search the leaked Ashley Madison data

At least three sites are republishing Ashley Madison's user data on the public-facing internet.

Mum dances her way through labour

There are a fair few ways to distract yourself and beat pains while in labour, but it's probably a rare woman who chooses her dance her way through it.

'Rest in peace, my little lion': premmie baby Jacob passes away

Baby Jacob, whose photo of him born at just 27 weeks was deemed 'too graphic' for a fundraising site, has died.

Mum killed three young sons 'to help her daughter', prosecutor says

Niall Pilkington's death last summer apparently raised little alarm in Bellefontaine, Ohio. Tragic accidents happen, after all.

Shorter women have shorter pregnancies: study

When a group of researchers studied nearly 3500 mothers and their babies, they noticed a curious pattern.

Get your FREE Baby & Toddler Show ticket!

Get your free ticket to the Sydney Essential Baby & Toddler Show for September 25-27 - register online now.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

The worst 20 minutes of my life

Thirty seconds was all it took to turn a shopping trip into my worst nightmare.

Top baby names for England and Wales in 2014

George has overtaken William in the official rankings of most popular British baby names - and Game of Thrones is still having an impact on parents.

Baseball or baby? Dad's tough choice

What's more important, a baby or a baseball? That's a question this dad seems to struggle with.

Childbirth choices: five star or free?

It's not often you hear the words labour and luxury in the same sentence but for some, a 5-star start to parenthood is exactly what they seek. And with a number of private hospitals now offering packages which include a post-birth stay at a sumptuous first class resort, many mums are choosing to recover in style.

'Where did your boobies go, Mummy?' and other soul-destroying comments from kids

Most women carry a smidge of baby weight after giving birth. If you're lucky enough to have an older child in the house, they can keep you on track with your weight loss goals.

Do you read me, baby?

Is it too soon to be reading to my two-month-old son? If not, what should I read?

Minimising sibling rivalry when you've got a baby

Sibling rivalry is an act of competition, but if your children feel involved and special, this type of jealousy will be minimised.

Will studying on maternity leave take you away from your most important job?

I remember when I was trying to decide if I could combine motherhood and furthering my university education.

Win a Pacapod this Father's Day

To celebrate dads and families, we are giving away a Picos Pack from Pacapod Australia filled with a few extra goodies ENTER NOW

Preschooler hit by car shortly after baby brother's death

A mother has had a frantic race to the hospital after her daughter was hit by a car, just four weeks after her infant son died.

Gay couple and Thai surrogate in custody tug-of-war

A six-month-old baby girl is trapped in the Thai capital in a bitter custody wrangle between her Thai surrogate mother and her biological father.

Couple denied IVF over parenting concerns

A mother of six has been denied access to IVF treatment in order to have another child over concerns about her parenting skills.

The book that promises to put your children to sleep

Exhausted parents from around the world are singing the praises of a "miracle" book which promises to put even the most restless child to sleep in just minutes.

5 things every parent who feels guilty needs to know

Parenthood can make you feel bad, but you're not alone.

Royals criticise 'dangerous' attempts to photograph Prince George

The British royal family criticized paparazzi on Friday for what it called their increasingly dangerous attempts to photograph young Prince George.

'No jab, no play' rule to cover Victorian kindergartens and childcare centres

"Anti-vaxxers" face not being able to send their children to childcare centres or kindergarten if they refuse to have them immunised.

15,000 birthing kits on their way to developing countries

Giving birth in a hospital surrounded by medical experts is tough enough, but some women deliver babies without a clean sheet to lie on.

Photo of premmie 'too graphic', fundraising site says

When their son Jacob was born at just 27 weeks, Christina and Jeff Hinks were thrown into an uncertain world.

The latest Bugaboo collections: cool chevron and runner prams

Bugaboo sure likes to keep things fresh, and with the Australian spring/summer season coming up, there are two new Bugaboo pram releases.

Making room for two in the bed

Mum's room or their own room? Cot or bassinets? Deciding where twins will sleep can be tricky.

FREE TICKET

See Hi-5 LIVE in Sydney!

Get your free ticket to The Essential Baby & Toddler Show and save $20 - register online now!

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.