Extra income
eBay, Gumtree, surveys etc.

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 TheWizardsGirl

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:35 PM

I'm about to go on maternity leave (half pay) and looking at ways to assist with finances.

I already sell on eBay and use Valued Opinions. We always use the FlyBuys card and about to redeem points for FlyBuy dollars to spend on groceries.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?  Am thinking about getting into the comping thing.

Any suggestions/thoughts?

TIA!!

#2 Purelle

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:46 PM

I do ironing, it's at home, costs me nothing and on the nights I am "working" I have absolute control over the television. !!! I charge $30 for an unfolded basket and 40 for folded basket $40 for those large square baskets. I encourage my customers to buy the wardrobe half boxes from removalists so they can pick up their clothes already hanging. I do regular and "help I'm behind" clients. One man use tp pay me $150 to wash, fold and iron his clothes fortnightly!!! And the best part (you can do it in your pjs any time of the day or night when you look like crap and no one will complain) As long as you make under $50,000 you don't pay tax, and just check with centre link re your payments. Mine were mostly friends and family so some weeks I'd do well, others, not so good. Up to you how far you want to take it, but it's good money for jam original.gif Besides I'm one of those weirdos that love ironing  ph34r.gif

#3 bailee

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:48 PM

I also do surveys on line - dont get much but I cash in for a $20 shopping voucher about every 6 weeks. I have only joined one company though (can send you an invite if you are interested). I also do some mystery shopping. I dont consider either income sources really, just little bonuses here and there. eg I have been saving my bunnings vouchers and we are almost up to $200 which will cover the materials for a small project we plan to do in the next few weeks (we love diy here).

#4 TheWizardsGirl

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:51 PM

Never thought of that!! We aren't entitled to any Centrekink payments so that's not a worry. Maybe just the tax man...

#5 Jellyblush

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:54 PM

I do airbnb. It's definitely not for everyone, but if you have a spare room and are a social, warm person, it might be for you.

www.airbnb.com

#6 niggles

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:54 PM

I was going to suggest ironing, or cleaning. I've found there always seems to be people looking for a reliable cleaner and once someone has you, 3 others want you. With a newborn you could take them with you potentially. Someone in my mother's group did office cleaning when her son was very small and he'd nap in the pram while she cleaned.

#7 mummytotwo

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:55 AM

Just check with your accountant for tax advice. You do pay tax if under $50,000. You just don't need to be registered for gst. (You don't charge gst, you don't claim gst either)

#8 bjk76

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:43 PM

Hi,
    I'd recommend Nielsen Homescan as an easy way to make a little bit of pocket money. You have to sign up with them and if they decide they need someone with your profile in your area, they'll send you out a scanner. All you do is scan your groceries every time you buy something (even if you shop online) and you get points each week, which add up to gifts or gift cards you can redeem. They also have weekly and other competitions.

I've done it for maybe 1.5 years and have earned about $200 from the weekly scanning, which isn't a lot, but it's a lot easier money than doing all the online surveys. I also won a weekly competition just before Christmas last year, and received a $200 Visa gift card to spend anywhere.

http://www.nielsen-onlinereg.com/?cpid=1C01C0

#9 bluecardigans

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:02 PM

That's fantastic Purelle. Being able to do it in your own time is a great bonus.  I can't iron to save myself.

#10 Sassy Dingo

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:40 PM

QUOTE (Purelle @ 25/01/2013, 10:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As long as you make under $50,000 you don't pay tax, and just check with centre link re your payments. Mine were mostly friends and family so some weeks I'd do well, others, not so good. Up to you how far you want to take it, but it's good money for jam original.gif Besides I'm one of those weirdos that love ironing  ph34r.gif

This is totally unbelievably wrong.

Why do you think you don't pay tax if you earn under $50K? The tax thresholds apply to all income whether it is from salary and wages or business income - there are no separate tax thresholds for business income. Why should a teenager working at Maccas for $20K a year be taxed but not someone running their own business earning $50K?

Could you be thinking about GST instead? The threshold for registering for GST was $50K - a long time ago. It is now $75K.

Income tax and GST are separate though, you still need to declare business income earned in your tax return, which you will be taxed on (depending of course whether you exceed the tax free threshold).

#11 luke's mummu

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:25 PM

I do mystery shopping. I am registered with about 10 different companies. It's not heaps of money, but if I'm at the shops already I might as well earn $ 12- $15 while I'm there. The other good thing if that if the jobs are reimbursement for expenses, I don't need to put them down as income (according to my tax agent).

I used to belong to Valued Opinions but I figured out I was earning $6 an hour, so I stopped. Mystery Shopping pays $20-$25 a hour.

Edited by luke's mummu, 09 February 2013 - 07:01 PM.

#12 Sassy Dingo

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:01 PM

QUOTE (luke's mummu @ 09/02/2013, 05:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I do mystery shopping. I am registered with about 10 different companies. It's not heaps of money, but if I'm at the shops already I might as well earn $ 12- $15 while I'm there. The other good thing if that if the jobs are reimbursement for expenses, I don't need to put them down as income (according to my tax agent).

The difference is that your tax agent has made the decision that your mystery shopping is a hobby. There are a number of things you need to consider when deciding whether some income is a hobby or not (hobby income isn't taxable). I would imagine your tax agent would have considered that there is no profit making intention, you don't conduct yourself in a business like manner, that sort of thing and the scale of the money you're making. The PP with the ironing business though sounds like she has regular clients and earns a decent amount from it.

Sorry to hijack the thread talking about tax, but I've read that the ATO is focusing on ebay/facebook sales especially to determine whether people are paying the right amount of tax. Don't want you to get caught.

#13 Peridot

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:09 AM

I started the sign up process for the Nielsen thing.. But stopped once it wanted heights and weights for everybody in the house.. Weird

Edited by Peridot, 14 February 2013 - 11:09 AM.

#14 bjk76

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:38 PM

Peridot - I don't recall doing that when I signed up to Nielsen....! That's weird! huh.gif If they did happen to collect that information, they haven't asked any more about it. All it is, is scanning your groceries! DH and I have changed weight since we started with Nielsen and they haven't asked us for an update of personal information such as weight. Maybe it's a new thing...?!

#15 Coffeemagic

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:12 PM

QUOTE (bjk76 @ 09/02/2013, 03:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,
    I'd recommend Nielsen Homescan as an easy way to make a little bit of pocket money. You have to sign up with them and if they decide they need someone with your profile in your area, they'll send you out a scanner. All you do is scan your groceries every time you buy something (even if you shop online) and you get points each week, which add up to gifts or gift cards you can redeem. They also have weekly and other competitions.

I've done it for maybe 1.5 years and have earned about $200 from the weekly scanning, which isn't a lot, but it's a lot easier money than doing all the online surveys. I also won a weekly competition just before Christmas last year, and received a $200 Visa gift card to spend anywhere.

Thanks for the tip, just registered with them online and now I'll wait to see if I'm selected  wink.gif

#16 WinterDancesHere

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:21 PM

QUOTE (bjk76 @ 16/02/2013, 11:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Peridot - I don't recall doing that when I signed up to Nielsen....! That's weird! huh.gif If they did happen to collect that information, they haven't asked any more about it. All it is, is scanning your groceries! DH and I have changed weight since we started with Nielsen and they haven't asked us for an update of personal information such as weight. Maybe it's a new thing...?!

I was asked the same things, and stopped as well. I am not putting in all that private info on DH and DS for a few dollars.

I do PureProfile and Reward Central surveys for a bit extra.

#17 *melrose*

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:30 PM

I do ironing, it's at home,
Sounds like a good idea.

#18 Guest_*SnowFlower*_*

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:42 PM

Edited by *SnowFlower*, 20 February 2013 - 03:08 PM.

#19 Purelle

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:42 PM

I checked with my accountant and my ironing is registered as a hobby. I only do it for family and friends and its certainly not a business. I recommend anyone that is earning money outside of a employer check with an accountant. My circumstances mean I can earn up to $50k without paying tax, not everyone's will be the same. So sassy dingo it isn't totally unbelievably wrong. I am registered with an Abn.  mad.gif

#20 meeganh

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:36 AM

QUOTE (bjk76 @ 09/02/2013, 02:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,

Thanks for this info!  I've just completed the registration process so I'm crossing my fingers that they need someone in my area original.gif

#21 meggs1

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:52 AM

QUOTE (Purelle @ 17/02/2013, 10:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I checked with my accountant and my ironing is registered as a hobby. I only do it for family and friends and its certainly not a business. I recommend anyone that is earning money outside of a employer check with an accountant. My circumstances mean I can earn up to $50k without paying tax, not everyone's will be the same. So sassy dingo it isn't totally unbelievably wrong. I am registered with an Abn.  mad.gif

I too believe you are playing fast and loose with the tax laws.  Hobby is making a few cakes for people and covering your costs.  Ironing for multiple people week in week out, earning almost $1,000 a week is a business.  

Relying on an accountants advice is not a defence.

#22 Rusky99

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:15 AM

QUOTE (meggs1 @ 06/03/2013, 08:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I too believe you are playing fast and loose with the tax laws.  Hobby is making a few cakes for people and covering your costs.  Ironing for multiple people week in week out, earning almost $1,000 a week is a business.  

Relying on an accountants advice is not a defence.

I agree with this as well.  It sounds like you are doing it to earn money - not just for a hobby.

I work in tax and I think your accountant sounds very dodgy.  I am sure the ATO would not agree with your accountant's view.

If you are doing something with the intention to earn money (eg. by cleaning), it is income that legally needs to go on your income tax return.

#23 CupcakeMumma

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:22 AM

But is that $50k nett or gross?  Cause the tax rates kick in at $18,000??

#24 flakyfish

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:29 AM

Sorry, this sounds dodgy. I was under the impression you can't register for an ABN if you're just a hobby.

#25 countrymel

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:29 AM

Your accountant is steering you wrong Purelle.

As PPs have said $18 200 is the point where tax becomes payable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Britain's youngest parents: mother 12, father 13

A 12-year-old schoolgirl and her 13-year-old boyfriend are believed to have become Britain?s youngest parents, after the birth of their baby girl earlier this week.

When Prince George met Bilby George

Prince George has met an Aussie marsupial named after him in his first official engagement in Australia.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Pregnant woman dies after doctor removes ovary instead of appendix

When a UK woman went to hospital suffering appendicitis, doctors mistakenly removed her healthy ovary - with tragic consequences.

The milestones I can't wait to celebrate

Nothing can beat the feeling of witnessing that first smile, first step and first word - but here's a list of 'firsts' I'm really looking forward to now.

How you develop in your baby's first year

Just as babies undergo rapid growth as they learn and change in their first year, we?re learning and changing quickly as parents, too. Don?t underestimate the developmental stages you go through when you have a baby.

Can you make your baby smarter even before birth?

A product new to Australia claims to help babies be born "as intelligent as possible", but not all experts agree on the benefits of educating babies while still in the womb.

How a mother's love helped unearth the skills of an autistic savant

Autistic savant Ping Lian Yeak, a prodigious artist who has had his work shown all over the world, couldn't have done it without the support and love of his proud mum.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

A tiny heart: a baby?s death gives life to another

Simon Alexander Garcia lived only one brief hour. But somewhere, a little girl?s heart is beating today because of him.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Why is childbirth still such a pain?

The options given to women to help them cope in labour have barely changed in years.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Ideas for recording baby milestones

Get the props, lights and camera ready to record the milestone moments in your baby's first months and years. Tip: set a reminder in your phone (or jot it in a calendar) to make sure you remember it every month.

From penis amputation to fatherhood

After a botched circumcision as a child, Mike Moore was left without a penis. Years later, and after meeting the right surgeon, he was able to become a dad - naturally.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Your baby's first shoes, made with your own hands

Imagine someone saying to you, "Your baby?s shoes are magnificent, where?d you get them?" And you reply, "Oh, these? I made them."

Mother bites off pit bull's ear to save toddler

What would you do if your child was being attacked by a vicious dog? One mother recently had to learn the hard way.

Couple dies 15 hours apart after 70 years of marriage

A couple who held hands at breakfast every morning even after 70 years of marriage have died 15 hours apart.

Behind the scenes of Kate and George's cuddly photo

Every face is partially obscured, but there's no denying the happiness and love in the faces of the royal mum and bub.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Your baby?s developmental roadmap

Caring for your new baby can feel like driving along a dark highway without a GPS: you know your destination ? a happy, healthy human being ? but you?re not sure whether you?re heading in the right direction.

Breaking out of the isolation of motherhood

There can be many reasons for mummy isolation ? and you don?t have to be a new mother to feel like you're often doing it all alone. Here, mums share their stories of feeling isolated, and what they do to try to break out of it.

The billionaire baby with $10,000 worth of prams

When money is no object you can go all out when it comes to baby transportation, as this billionaire socialite has shown.

Medication helps depressed mums to breastfeed

Breastfeeding mums are often told their medication may pass into their milk, but a new study suggests the benefits of taking antidepressants are greater than any risks to baby.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.