Guinea pig pets - what do you love/hate?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 tiggy2

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

I mean the humans looking after them, not the guinea pigs lol.

We are contemplating two guinea pigs but don't want to rush into it.
So what do you love about your piggies?
What drives you mad?
How much work are they?
Where do you keep them?
Do you bring them in at night/ in winter?
What else should I know?

We have two indoor cats and a secure back yard. Kids are 6, nearly 3 and a baby.
Thanks!

#2 girltribe4

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:49 PM

We currently have 6 wink.gif , mum & daughters came to us when previous owners found out she was pregnant after being told by the pet shop they had 2 girls rolleyes.gif
Then Xmas day we got another 2 surprises , pretty sure she must have been pregnant AGAIN when they finally handed her over as I certainly had no boys . I am a bit upset tonight as I have sexed the new babies and we have one girl & one boy and I hate the thought of the poor little boy living all on his own so will look in to having him desexed.

Love : Their little squeaky talking , ease of handling , friendliness , watching them run around their pen , they have great little ''characters'' .

Hate : Their cages do get messy quickly wink.gif ideally we do a full clean twice a week , it takes approx 2o mins .

We have an outside hutch on the back porch as well as several runs that can be moved around the garden . I tend to put blankets /tarpulin over the cages to protect in the colder/wet weather but have also had Guineas inside in the past .
We also have 2 cats who ''enjoy'' watching the guineas and I have no doubt would go for them if they escaped but they are well protected with lots of hidey places .
We have had loads of Guinea Pigs and they are one of my absolute favorite animals biggrin.gif . In my experience I have found the girls less friendly but tidier , and the boys are very friendly but make more mess.

Edited by girltribe4, 25 January 2013 - 07:53 PM.

#3 girltribe4

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:57 PM

You could have 2 boys or 2 girls together , best if you get them at the same time from the same litter .

2 boys will live together happily as long as you never introduce either of them to a female .
They are very social creatures and do prefer to have the company of other Guinea Pigs.

#4 littlesticky

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:04 PM

It's best to get more than one, and get them at the same time so they don't get territorial. I got mine from a pet shop and she was already pregnant by her brothers, they become fertile very early on!

My pig was happier indoors but her cage attracted ants and smelt so we put her on the balcony and brought her in when the weather was extreme. A lot of cleaning, the poos are little pellets but there are heaps of them.

They're not as friendly as dogs, but lower maintenance and great for clearing veggie scraps.

I never managed to toilet train mine so I'd always have to cuddle her in a towel. She always tried to run away too, unless she saw me feeding another pig. They also don't live that long so the kids will learn about death in 5 years or so.

#5 Therese

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

We have quite a few piggies and love them. They have their own little personalities and are really friendly (well most of them)

They are social little things and do need company. Try not to get one from a pet shop as they are often pregnant. There are lots of great guinea pig rescue organisations out there.

The worst thing is cleaning their cage I think. But that is probably the worst thing about most pets original.gif

#6 kadoodle

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:21 PM

I have lotsa piggies.  Some are mine (well, the kids') and some we are pigsitting for the council pound so they don't get PTS while awaiting a forever home.

Please go to a pound or animal rescue centre.  Pet shops mix their sexes and will sell you a pregnant sow with the promise to "take the babies off your hands".  They are unethical gits.

Piggies are great little characters, they love to chat and will eat out of your hand.  They follow each other in a conga line and are playful.

They do poop an awful lot though, and boars can get pretty smelly.

#7 tiggy2

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:23 AM

Thanks everyone. We are looking at getting two girls that are being retired from a petting farm.

#8 CupOfCoffee

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:18 AM

We are also looking at getting guinea pigs (2 males most likely from the local cavy rescue cottage) and were thinking of getting a hutch like this one:

http://www.dealsdirect.com.au/double-store...pig-cage-hutch/

Is there anything which is useful in a hutch that this is missing, or a reason this might not be such a good design?

#9 ~sydblue~

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:22 AM

I love watching the smurfs in my village ride the guinea pig around  biggrin.gif

I want a guinea pig, but our dogs would kill it.

#10 Mama8

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:29 AM

Love piggies!
Great kids pets and they can be kept in inside cages for more interaction.
I love that they let you know when they are out of food and water original.gif
I didn't even mind cage cleaning.
They are a bit hit and miss with handling some like it others don't

#11 kadoodle

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:10 PM

CupofCoffee - Those cages are good, but it's a two person job to move them as they're pretty unwieldy for one person to lift.

#12 CupOfCoffee

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:20 PM

QUOTE (kadoodle @ 26/01/2013, 12:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
CupofCoffee - Those cages are good, but it's a two person job to move them as they're pretty unwieldy for one person to lift.

Thanks for that Kadoodle, that is a good point.  Would you know how often it would have to be moved.  Our backyard is tiny and I want to make sure we have enough space to move them often enough.  And will they poop in one area, or all over their cage?

#13 Cat12

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

C of C, if your backyard is tiny, why don't you guinea proof it and let them free range? I've got 12 piggies who free range.

Cat

#14 tiggy2

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

How does letting them free range work? Where do they sleep?

#15 kadoodle

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:13 PM

For 2 guineas, you'd be moving the hutch every day if you didn't want your lawn scalped.  Or pick one spot and leave it there, but clean out all the little jellybeans every few days.

Make sure your yard is cat proof if you want to free range them.  Otherwise just let them out while you supervise.  We did that today with the boars and they decided to all follow me around the backyard while I did some gardening.

ETA - our sows have a toilet area away from where they eat and sleep, but the boars just go wherever they feel like it.  Often in their bed and food bowls.

Edited by kadoodle, 26 January 2013 - 07:17 PM.

#16 CupOfCoffee

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:24 AM

We have just ordered the hutch, and spoke to the place we will get our guinea pigs from.

They were originally going to be for my daughter (who is turning 4) but my son who is turning 15 really wants one, so they will get one each (although we will buy an established pair) that they can name and have some ownership of.  (We were always planning on getting 2 anyway).

The place we are getting them from even does guinea pig boarding for when we go on holidays and guinea pig pampering (which is wash, clip and check-up).

#17 kadoodle

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:51 PM

Just live your life the guinea pig way!

#18 CupOfCoffee

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:10 PM

I don't know about the OP, but we ended up getting 2 Guinea Pigs from a local shelter.

And we love them, although they are still getting used to their new home.

#19 kadoodle

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:45 PM

Awww, they're lovely.

I'm being a piggy midwife tonight to Amy Pond:

#20 CupOfCoffee

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:54 PM

Wow, she is huge.

good luck to her birthing.

#21 wilding

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:14 PM

QUOTE (Mama8 @ 26/01/2013, 11:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Love piggies!
Great kids pets and they can be kept in inside cages for more interaction.
I love that they let you know when they are out of food and water original.gif
I didn't even mind cage cleaning.
They are a bit hit and miss with handling some like it others don't

Our 2 are inside piggies, they live happily with the cats. They are out of their cage when i'm home and only in their cage when i go to bed or am not home. They're pretty good and stay on their area (tarp, then fleece blanket on top easy to keep clean). Their cage is a C&C grid cage (tarp and fleece). No smells here. When I was living at home, my 2 were kept in cages outside and free ranged.

Every now and then they rumplestrut (bum shaking and mounting), both of mine are females. If you go to the kitchen and open the fridge they will wheek and wheek for food, pack my gym bag in the morning the same thing, open a drink oh dear  roll2.gif

This is clover and lucy. Clover has constant haircuts from Lucy barbering her and is no longer a fluffy piggy (Lucy is the ginger)
http://i49.tinypic.com/2wmqr79.jpg

#22 CupOfCoffee

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:40 PM

Clover and Lucy are gorgeous.

That is cool that they can run around free inside.

#23 wilding

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:35 PM

Thank you original.gif Lucy is 6mths old and Clovers a year old.

It took a bit of practise, but we got there in the end. They use to bolt across the room and hide under the couch every time I got up and went to the kitchen or upstairs. They run when they see the broom though as we used to use that to sweep them out from under the couch  ph34r.gif

--------------

kadoodle, what's even funnier is when they give birth, they give birth to babies nearly half their size. It's amazing how much they can stuff in there, when we had Snowie back when I was living at home, she was the size of a dinner plate, flat and round, she had 6. She still managed to fit into her plastic house though!

#24 LouiseA1

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:25 PM

Wilding - can I please ask what a C& C grid cage is ?
Mine are inside overnight and during the day if the weather is bad ( too hot, cold or wet) I'd love to know how to contain them inside so they could be out of their cage.
Thanks heaps.

#25 wilding

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:03 PM

LouiseA1,

A C&C grid cage is a cube and coroplast cage, made with the grids that you put together for boxes and coroplast (the same stuff used in signs) makes the base. I use the cubes for the tops aswell so the cats can't get in overnight. Instead of coroplast, I use tarp and bulldop clip it on. So not everyones idea of fun.

This explains it better than I can C&C cages are quite popular in the States.
http://www.guineapigcages.com/howto.htm

The original option I was looking at the time was a cheap mesh dog run as I couldn't find a cage large enough to suit my needs.

Wilding - can I please ask what a C& C grid cage is ?
Mine are inside overnight and during the day if the weather is bad ( too hot, cold or wet) I'd love to know how to contain them inside so they could be out of their cage.
Thanks heaps.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.