Anyone know much about anti e antibodies and amniotic fluid embolisms?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 *~~Jess~~*

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:49 PM

After the birth of DD2 I developed an amniotic fluid embolism and also diagnosed with anti e antibodies.

It was discovered that I still have the antibodies when I had bloods done for this pregnancy. I have spoken to my OB and the chance of another embolism occurring is low but I will need to see the high risk clinic because of the antibodies and the risk to my baby because of them.

Has anyone else had an amiotic fluid and not had another one in your next pregnancy?

Also has anyone had anti e antibodies, did your baby have any side effects at birth because of it?

#2 kwiggle

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:07 PM

Congrats on your pregnancy Jess - I reckon you'll be pretty bored of hospitals and doctors by the end of this one! biggrin.gif
The most likely thing is that your pregnancy will be boring, but they will take lots of blood tests to make sure your antibody levels remain stable, and if they go up will do lots of ultrasounds to check whether your baby is becoming anaemic.  Worst case scenario (and pretty rare) is that your baby would need blood transfusions in utero.  
In terms of the amniotic fluid embolism.... noone will be able to tell you what the risk of recurrence is reliably because it's so rare.  My best guess is that it's unlikely to happen again.  
You're a brave lady - are you coping with the idea of being pregnant again?  I hope you don't have too many scary thoughts.... I don't have any personal experience with those issues, but wanted to reply because I can imagine it's going to be a stressful time for you.  Good luck!

#3 katpaws

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:31 AM

Hi Jess

I had an AFE 10 years ago but have been diagnosed with secondary infertility so no second baby.  I had decided to go for a CS (elective) if i got pregnant again  - the AFE occured during an attempted vaginal birth.

I understand that the chance of another AFE occuring in subsequent pregnancies is very very low. However, my OB did advise having an CS and avoiding labour with another baby, however my AFE was pretty bad so this may affect medical advice given.

I would recommend that for your next pregnancy you have an OB you have a high level of trust in and in the health professionals supporting you. If you suffer from PTSD you need to advice your medical team, also be aware that flashbacks to the AFE could occur so have a management plan for that. I would advise having someone with you during your labour or CS (whichever way you go) and not being left alone, even for a few minutes, so someone is always monitoring you.

When you book your hospital ask them about their AFE management plan ie do they gave the cogulation products needed on hand? Do they have an intensive care ward in case things go wrong?

AFE is on the suckiest worst things that can happen to you. The fact that it is not predictable and can't be tested for just makes it such a horrible thing.

Best of luck with everything

#4 deejie

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:01 PM

QUOTE (*~~Jess~~* @ 25/01/2013, 07:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also has anyone had anti e antibodies, did your baby have any side effects at birth because of it?

Anti-e (lower case) is a different antibody to Anti-E (uppercase). I'm not sure if you meant the lower case "e" or not, so will cover both.

Anti-E can sometimes be naturally occuring. The naturally occuring Anti-E antibodies are usually low titre and of little clinical concern. Immune Anti-E which were stimulated by previous pregnancy/transfusion are usually associated with mild -> moderate effects in the developing fetus. Severe fetal anaemia from Anti-E antibodies is uncommon.

Anti-e antibodies are very rarely naturally occuring and are usually the result of previous pregnancy/transfusion. They are typically associated with mild -> moderate effects in the developing fetus and like Anti-E, severe fetal anaemia is uncommon.

Your partner will be tested for the E/e antigen. If he is heterozygous (one copy of the gene), your baby will have a 50/50 inheriting it and being at risk. If he is homozygous (two copies of the gene), your baby will definitely carry the E/e antigen and will be at risk.

I'm sure you will be sick of ultrasounds and tests by the time your pregnancy is done!
Most antibodies are still quantitated in the laboratory by a test called the  antibody titre which is performed on a sample of your blood. This gives a rough estimate of the "level" (for lack of a better word) of antibody in your blood. The higher the titre, the higher the level of antibody and (generally speaking) the higher risk involved for your baby. In some pregnancies, the titre remains stable throughout. In other pregnancies, it can go up a little or a lot.

There are ways of typing the baby for the E/e antigen before it is born. It can be done via amniocentesis and extracting fetal DNA from a sample of amniotic fluid. Amnio obviously carries risks. Fetal e/E antigen typing can also be done on a sample of maternal blood from the second trimester. Fetal DNA can be extracted and typed. These tests are usually done when the maternal antibody is one of the "nasty" ones (D, K, c), the titre is very high the baby is considered at high risk. It is rarely done in the case of Anti-E/e. Otherwise, monitoring tests will show whether the baby is affected.

If your titre is high, your OB team will monitor the health and wellbeing of your baby by MCA (middle cerebral artery) ultrasound. They measure the velocity (speed) of the blood in the middle cerebral artery in your baby's brain. If you have lots of antibody crossing the placenta and destroying your babies red blood cells, your baby will be anaemic. Its heart will beat faster to pump a smaller volume of red blood cells around its body and therefore the velocity of the blood increases. The velocity of the blood is a good indicator of how anaemic your baby is and the treatment it needs (further monitoring, early delivery, transfusion still in the womb in very severe cases).

Babies used to be monitored by looking at the bilirubin levels (a red blood cell breakdown product) in the amniotic fluid. This was done by amniocentesis, but this is not done very often these days due to the risks associated with amnio vs the non-invasive MCA ultrasound.

Intra-uterine transfusion in cases of Anti-E/e is rare. Most babies are born closer to term. Rarely (in cases of very high titres) they will require an exchange transfusion soon after birth. This removes the maternal antibody from their system and replaces their own "E" or "e" type red blood cells with cells from a donor which are compatible with the maternal antibody. Most babies born to Mums with Anti-E/e and moderate to high titres will have jaundice and will have treatment under the UV lights (similar to other babies who have jaundice for other reasons).

While it does sound scary, the OBs at the maternal fetal medicine unit that you will be attending really are the experts at handling immunised pregnancies. Don't be afraid to pepper them with a thousand questions. You will be in the best of hands.

edit- to make more sense (I think)

Edited by deejie, 06 March 2013 - 09:04 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Newborn baby found in a nativity scene

Police are trying to trace a woman who abandoned a baby boy in the manger of a church nativity scene.

Life would be harder without my kids

The Humans of New York Facebook page is well known for sharing touching, real stories from one of the world's biggest cities – and it's just hit the heart of parents everywhere.

Mum dresses as Wonder Woman for last day of chemo

A Brisbane mum dressed up as a superhero to celebrate the end of her chemotherapy and created a moment her family will remember forever.

How a raisin can predict a toddler's IQ

All you need to assess a child's future intelligence is a plastic cup and a raisin, according to new research.

Former Hi-5 member's cannabis hope

Former Hi-5 star Tim Harding hopes a cannabis-derived drug will help control his daughter's epilepsy, which sees the four-year-old suffering between 50 and 100 seizures a day.

The top 5 reasons your toddler throws a tantrum

Whilst to the outside world little people may appear to have it easy, it's actually not always the case – just ask any toddler who's had their toast cut up the wrong way.

Glenn McGrath thought he'd lost his wife and baby

Australian cricket ledged Glen McGrath has spoken about the moment he thought he might lose his wife, Sara and their baby daughter, Madison.

Inside my Centrelink nightmare

Mother Bec Smith has been trying for months to access Centrelink payments. A "serious error" is preventing her.

Warnings over push for hourly childcare billing

Australia's peak childcare body has called for caution around the Turnbull government's push for childcare centres to charge parents by the hour, not by the day.

Cate Blanchett thought about adopting for years

Cate Blanchett says her recent adoption of a baby girl had nothing to do with wanting a daughter after having three sons.

Kate Walsh: 'I can't have kids'

Grey's Anatomy star Kate Walsh has revealed she is unable to have children because she has experienced early menopause.

The parasite that could boost fertility

The Tsimane women of Bolivia are often revered as among the most fertile in the world - on average having 10 children in their lifetimes -- but some are even more fertile than others.

Family may sue cousin over genetics

A Melbourne couple is suing the Royal Children's Hospital for failing to diagnose a genetic disorder in their first child - an error they allege caused them to have another child with severe disabilities.

Strange things mums have done in labour

While most women in labour focus on the upcoming birth of their baby, some women do more interesting things.

Michael Clarke reveals baby's name

When Michael Clarke said he was wrapped around the finger of his little princess, he wasn't joking.

The logistics of breastfeeding twins

Our life is more or less divided into neat four hour parcels of time and it's hard to get much of anything done in the time between feeds.

How to stop people ruining Christmas

We can make a conscious effort about how we react to those curly Christmas day scenarios that can send us up the wall, or should we say chimney.

Lots of formula offers for desperate mum

The mum who was down to her last three tins of baby formula said she had received hundreds of calls and offers to send her formula.

Surviving breast cancer while pregnant

It was last thing Rebecca O'Donnell expected at 30 weeks' pregnant. One morning, while putting on her bra, she felt a pea-sized lump in her right breast.

Cot sheet brands for the nursery

With so many awesome cot sheet options these days, we thought we'd put together a list of go-to brands for you to seek out for your baby's bed.

What's hot on EB

How I survived breast cancer while pregnant

It was last thing Rebecca O'Donnell expected at 30 weeks' pregnant. One morning, while putting on her bra, she felt a pea-sized lump in her right breast.

Grieving father's letter to Bataclan terrorists: "...this little boy will threaten you by being happy and free"

A grieving father whose wife was killed in the attacks on the Bataclan Theatre last weekend has written an open letter to her killers.

5 challenges of motherhood - and how to see them differently

Despite the smiles, the sloppy kisses and the pure magic children bring to our lives, it's hard to deny that motherhood can be tough.

4 challenges of being a new dad - and how to face them

Becoming a parent is challenging – and that applies to both mums and dads.

My battle against antenatal and postnatal depression

I was five months pregnant when I realised I needed help.

Children swapped at birth will not be returned to biological parents

A boy and girl accidentally swapped on the day they were born will stay with the families who have raised them, a South African court has ruled.

A quarter of men believe they get 'man periods'

A British study has revealed one in four men believe they have a monthly cycle.

Baby deposit

How much do you need to save for a 'baby deposit'?

It's fairly straightforward to calculate a house deposit, but how much money do you need to save up for a baby?

Dad's beautiful note to his wife, a nurse

To anyone else it might just look like a picture of a mum having a nap with her toddler.

'I was a complete schmuck': Mike Baird opens up about his wife's postnatal depression

When his wife Kerryn was not well following the birth of their daughter, NSW Premier Mike Baird buried himself in his work.

Mum's desperate plea as whooping cough alert issued

A desperate mother has shared a heart-breaking video of her baby struggling to cope with a coughing fit caused by pertussis.

Coffee could help you live longer

New US research found people who report drinking three to five cups of coffee a day are less likely to die prematurely from heart disease, suicide, diabetes or Parkinson's disease.

The joy and dread of playdates

To live vicariously through your child is to rediscover anxieties you thought dead and buried.

Sick baby could die without scarce special formula, mum says

Lizzie Cann is down to her last three tins of a special formula in short supply.

Adorable toddler's strop foiled by squeaky shoes

We're probably all familiar with the pouty bottom lip and tightly crossed arms of a tot mid-strop.

More sex during World Cup created more baby boys

More sex during South Africa's World Cup meant a disproportionately high number of boys were born nine months later, a new study has found.

Win one of two ABC Shop prize packs in time for Christmas

What a boon it would be to have your toddler's Christmas gifts covered this year. We have two awesome ABC Shop prize packs to give away to two lucky winners.

Do fitness challenges really work?

Fitness challenges aren't new. There's Michelle Bridges 12WBT and a bunch of other programs if you really want to lose weight.

What are pregnant women Googling?

Pregnancy is a huge change for any woman, so it's natural we'll have questions - and turn to Google to ask them.

Can't decide?

Check out the Essential Baby Names section for some inspiration

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.