Sunscreen and sunburn

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 2littledarlings

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:14 PM

Our DS starts school soon and I am feeling really worried about him getting sunburnt at lunch time.  

I keep seeing the ad for the 50+ banana boat sunscreen on my side bar and am wondering does that give him 50 x his natural sun protection?  So for example if he burns in 15 minutes without suncream does 50+ mean he has 50x 15 mins?

Does school help the kids reapply? Will of course send him to school with it on already, which will cover recess but want last until lunch.

What do people do?

thanks original.gif

#2 mini mac

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:18 PM

Not sure about every school but I vaguely recall a teacher friend saying a few years back they weren't allowed to apply sunscreen on a child but they could encourage them to do it themselves.

#3 albo

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:24 PM

My DS is hopeless with sunscreen (at 8 years old), hates me putting it on him, wont reapply himself, but in three years of school he has never been burnt in the playground. I think with compulsory hats and quite a bit of shaded areas he is not exposed to much direct sun during the lunch break - probably no more than 10 or 15 minutes. I wouldn't start worrying until he actually gets burnt at school, it is pretty unlikely, so don't waste your energy on a problem that doesn't exist yet!

#4 ellebelle

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

Same as Albo here - DS has two breaks at 11am and 1pm for about 30 minutes. He has tanned where his arms and legs are exposed but has not come home with a dose of sunburn.

#5 Lil Chickens

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

^^^ To quote the ad "tanning is skin cells in trauma".

I would be concerned about tanning.

#6 KnightsofNi

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

I have bought DD a roll on sunscreen and taught her how to apply it herself. I am going to leave the sunscreen in her school bag and told her to put it on when she is going to play outside.

She is very good at getting all her parts and really likes putting it on.

I got the tip of keeping some in her school bag from EB. Thanks whoever it was.

#7 CharliMarley

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:49 PM

I think most schools have a sunblock table and the kids are encouraged to put it on themselves, when going outside. The uniform with the hat for outside should stop any sunburn and as the pp's said, there is plenty of shade nowadays.

#8 foom

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

My non-expert gut feel is that if you are concerned about burning, then you need to teach your son to re-apply sunscreen before lunch. Even with a 50+ I would have thought it would need to be re-applied before lunch to be sure. Have a look at at bottle in the shop - does it say re-apply after 2 hours?

From what I have read going from a 30+ to a 50+ sunscreen does not give you a huge amount of more coverage. I think at 30+ it is already blocking out more than 90% of UVB rays. So the increased protection is on UVB rays is going to be minimal. (I just did a quick google - if the news coverage on the ABC is correct 30+ filters 96.7% and 50+ is 98% filtering.)

My guess is that a new application of SPF 30+ would give better coverage than SPF 50+ done potentially 4 hours before.

What do I do - well right now I'm teaching my son to do it himself and my son's Kindy helps them re-apply sunscreen. I hope that by the time he is at school he will be able to re-apply it himself.

#9 mummy2amelia

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:09 PM

I put a little roll-on inside her lunch box.  So when she finishes her lunch (inside) it is right there to remind her.  She is good at putting sunscreen on though.  

You could wrap his lunch, then wrap the sunscreen to it with a big note saying ‘put this on or else!! ’. wink.gif

Edited to add: You had better specify to put the sunscreen on.  I have a son who would wear the sandwich on his head.

Edited by mummy2amelia, 25 January 2013 - 04:13 PM.

#10 sparassidae

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:47 PM

Honestly we have been at many different schools and they have never even allowed time for suncream, let alone supervised or encouraged it's use. I tried sending a roll on when our first child started, but there just isn't time to put it on (remembering it needs to go on 15 minutes before to be effective).

And in 8 years of school so far our "burn in 5 minutes" children have never had a burn at school (or tanning, our skin type doesn't tan anyway)

#11 2littledarlings

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

Thanks for all the replies, I feel much better hearing your kids have not burnt at school! I have a roll on and a tube on a keying thing to clip to his bag, but I don't think he will put it on without someone standing there getting him to do it.

I will cover him in the morning and with his hat and the shade over the playground, hope for the best!

It's a bit silly really, they should have a 5 min break 15 before lunch to all put some on!

#12 Percoriel

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:06 PM

Wide brimmed hats and lots of shade plus sunscreen applied at home before school has always worked for my fair skinned daughter. Never been sunburnt at school.

#13 soontobegran

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:16 PM

This is a long time ago for me but even 10 years ago our school had a strict sun smart policy. Children were not allowed out to play unless they had a hat on and sunscreen.
The children had their own sunscreen in their bags and they were all given time to put it on before they went out. Even at age 5 they should be able to manage this but the teachers did help children who had some trouble.
The office had a table outside it with a huge pump pack of sunscreen for those children who had lost/misplaced their own tube. This was supplied by the school. The sunscreen and spare hats also went on all sports days, excursions and camps.
OP I would be checking their Sun smart policy and if it lacking then I would get myself onto the PCA and try to make some changes.
Our kids never got burnt at school in thirteen years.

#14 mintjoolips

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

We put sunscreen on before school they have to wear a hat when outside, in 7 years of school my 3 fair kids have not been burnt.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Life with anxiety

At times, I feel pretty worthless. In those moments, all I want to do is curl up into a ball and hide in the dark. I can try to quiet my mind, but it won?t shut up.

IVF leaves woman pregnant with another couple's twins

An Italian woman has been told the twins she is three months pregnant with are not hers.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

What you need for the 'fourth trimester'

In my opinion, the first three months after the birth are the most intense. Here's what got me through that time after welcoming my baby.

Weaning a toddler off a dummy: a 15-day plan

Weaning your child off the dummy can be a traumatic experience for both of you. Here are some tips to help you through.

Choosing to be a solo parent

Two women share their stories of longing for a baby so much that they each decided not to wait for a partner before becoming a mum.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

The ultimate travel stroller: the Mountain Buggy nano

We tried the Mountain Buggy nano and give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. As the ultimate travel stroller, it's practical, has great features, and looks fab, too.

Mum's heartbreak as son dies in road accident

Daly Thomas and her two young sons were walking home from church on Tuesday afternoon. Her youngest son never made it.

New Kate Spade baby bag designs

Don?t adjust your screen: this bright beauty is coming to you in full colour.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.