Spinoff - Will DD be an ungrateful monster?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Tesseract

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:49 PM

Spinoff from the apology thread.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that I'm not the only crazy mother out there who doesn't do forced apologies.

But what about forcing pleases and thank yous? And by force I mean the child doesn't get the biscuit until she says 'please', then perhaps she is restricted from walking away/eating biscuit until she says 'thank you'.

DH and I are in disagreement about this. I model pleases and thank yous, I also say please and thank you on DD's behalf (she's 23 months), even to myself "thank you Mummy". I tell DD often that people appreciate it when you say please and thank you, so it's a nice thing to do when they are giving you something. But if she doesn't say it I don't push it. DH on the other hand is always trying to actually force her to say please (he's not so obsessed with thank yous, by then he's already distracted by something else lol!).

Anyway I know there are a lot of people who force please and thank you. But for those of you who don't - how is it working out for you? Do your kids say it? Or will DD really turn out like an ungrateful monster just like people fear?

#2 shanta

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

I did the same as you and my 6 year old has beautiful manners. I also used to say it for him if he didn't. I got annoyed with people who would force it out of him because I could see he was grateful. I think manners are extremely important and being grateful will open your energy to receive even more. It gives you an easier life.

Edited by shanta, 25 January 2013 - 02:02 PM.

#3 Propaganda

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:01 PM

I force it.

Whether it's meant or not, it's still polite to say it. I did it hoping that it would just become habit and it has.

#4 Guest_Dinah_Harris_*

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

I force it, and my 4 year old does it all the time, almost without thinking about it.  She has lovely manners.
Nothing worse than a person who doesn't say please, thank you or pardon me.

#5 Cat People

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

I have to be completely honest and say it's working out badly for us so far!   He's nearly 6 and I think his manners are a bit appalling.  But he's also a bit of an enigma of a kid so I honestly believe forcing wouldn't have made much difference.  On the other side, I have an amazingly polite 2 year old who not only uses please and thank you, but also "excuse me" and "sorry", and all of that is just from modelling rather than insisting.

#6 EssentialBludger

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:05 PM

Yes, I force please and thank yous. My kids don't get anything without manners, and it's just second nature now.

I was standing in line at a lunch bar the other day, there was a kid in front of me about 9-10 who when being served said "give me a xxx". No please. It made my skin crawl.

I'd overheard her parents talking earlier about how she goes to one of the most prestigious schools in Perth. I guess money doesn't buy manners. ph34r.gif

Yes, I'm a judgemental cow.

#7 TotesFeral

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:05 PM

I'm kind of in the middle. Sometimes I do force, sometimes I just do what you do which is say "Thank you mummy" and she repeats it.
It has gotten to the point now where 90% of the time she says please and thank you with no prompting. But if she does ask for something herself and doesn't say please I'll say "Well what do you say?" and she says "Please mummy!"

#8 Jenferal

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

I model it personally.
I DID do the whole "ta" thing for a while, but it got boring, so we just do regular please and thank you normally and my nearly 3yr old has picked it up herself.

I remember commenting to my husband about how she'd picked up saying plse and thank you and he pointed out it's how we talk to each other, and she copied us.
not everytime, but most times anyway so far.

#9 Shirley Sue

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:08 PM

I have to agree with you op. I prefer to model 'please' and 'thank you" rather than force it. Imo pushing kids to say it creates a battle of wills. My dd is 16 mo and already says thank you in the correct context. Sounds more like "ka ku" but I know what she means lol. I prefer that she says it and means it rather than saying it just to say it.

#10 ~faerydust~

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:09 PM

I encourage and model but don't force. I have had many comments on how beautiful my 4yo's manners are. My 22 month old has learnt both from us as well as her sister and consistently uses please, thankyou, and wulk (you're welcome).

#11 Feral Nicety

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:10 PM

I modelled and insisted on please and thank you.

My DSD'smother did not model and did not require her daughter to say please and thank you as she felt it was something that would naturally develop.  It didn't wink.gif.

I don't know that saying please and thank you means the kid feels more gratitude but I do think it greases the wheels of social discourse.

#12 Julie3Girls

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

At 23 months, the age of your child, I modelled it. My older two girls actually weren't talking that much at that age, so yes I would pretty much just model it myself, and praise when they did it on their own.

As they got older, I started to prompt - if they asked for something and didn't say please or thankyou I'd say "And what do you say?" and would get a response pretty quick.

A bit older again, and the manners were pretty good, but if I've noticed them dropping off, I would push for it a bit. And yes, I have done the whole not pouring a drink until I was asked nicely with manners! But that was when they were at an age when I knew they could use their manners and were simply being slack about it. Not when they were just learning to talk and how to say please and thankyou.

#13 Eirinn

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:16 PM

I model it, and I also ask them to say it. If they don't, I don't force them to, but I do explain why manners are important.

They have fairly good manners at age 3 and 2.

#14 NunSoFeral

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:17 PM

Depends on age - ovr 4's - I ignore until they ask nicely, without whinging and with manners.
Between 2-4 - I model, raise an eyebrow, and get more insistent when they are approaching 4.

Worked pretty well.
The 2 yr old is saying "pwease" and "sankyu mamma, thats lubley" regularly now.
Not usually moved by cute but this slays me.

Table manners are proving to be my bugbear.
Anyone have any hints for controlling the inner-savage?

Open mouth chewing and talking, lounging, elbows up at 90 degree angles, snags ricocheting across the table, fingers down on fork tines and on knife blade - so coated with food and the inevitable tomato sauce.

Meal times are worthy of donning a flak jacket and HazMat suit here.

****ing revolting.

#15 Canberra Chick

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

I model and force. It worked for me. Rude kids get nothing was what I was brought up with, as was DH.

#16 emlis22

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:55 PM

I'm the kind of person who forces it on adults (I'm close with, not strangers), or I say it under my breath for somebody else. I feel extremely uneasy if people don't say please.

#17 123tree

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

I agree with both modelling and insisting.  It never seizes to amaze me though to see grown ups force "please" and "thank you" but not actually use it themselves in their own dialogue.

Here is my chance to stand on my soap box and say I HATE it when old people say "What is the magic word".  It isn't a magic word.  It is a special word, a feel good word but nothing is magic about it.

#18 mpoppins92

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:14 PM

QUOTE (gettheetoanunnery @ 25/01/2013, 12:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Depends on age - ovr 4's - I ignore until they ask nicely, without whinging and with manners.
Between 2-4 - I model, raise an eyebrow, and get more insistent when they are approaching 4.

Worked pretty well.
The 2 yr old is saying "pwease" and "sankyu mamma, thats lubley" regularly now.
Not usually moved by cute but this slays me.

Table manners are proving to be my bugbear.
Anyone have any hints for controlling the inner-savage?

Open mouth chewing and talking, lounging, elbows up at 90 degree angles, snags ricocheting across the table, fingers down on fork tines and on knife blade - so coated with food and the inevitable tomato sauce.

Meal times are worthy of donning a flak jacket and HazMat suit here.

****ing revolting.

I did this for the kids I look after, I made little stick people with their faces on them and I wrote a little story about these people. I called them yummy tummy people and I wrote about what they did. (not talking with food in their mouths, trying all the food etc) you could write what the specific issues are for your kids. At the end of the story these special yummy tummy people travel from yummy tummy land because their special friends *gettheetoanunnery child a and b* aren't following the yummy tummy rules and they had to go and help them out. Like a secret mission if you will. Then I stuck the yummy tummy people in front of their placemats to remind them of the behaviour. We read the story a few times a week at first, then less and less and eventually I only needed to say "Is this yummy tummy behaviour?" and the kids would know what I meant. I incorporated sticker rewards into it aswell and eventually the yummy tummy people went back to yummy tummy land. They make occasional appearances again when needed though. Hope it helps  original.gif

#19 Propaganda

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:25 PM

I don't accept a lack of please or thank you from other children either. I will just stare at them silently if they don't use their manners and wait. If they don't catch on, I'll try and help them to see what I'm waiting for, but I'm not going to give in to a lack of manners.

I don't think I've encountered many adults that don't know how to be polite, but when my husband decides to not use his, I use them for him, condescendingly (when he doesn't thank me for handing him his dinner, which I just cooked for him, for example) in hopes he understands how unimpressed I am with the lack of his manners.

#20 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:33 PM

QUOTE (Jenflea @ 25/01/2013, 03:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I model it personally.
I DID do the whole "ta" thing for a while, but it got boring, so we just do regular please and thank you normally and my nearly 3yr old has picked it up herself.

I remember commenting to my husband about how she'd picked up saying plse and thank you and he pointed out it's how we talk to each other, and she copied us.
not everytime, but most times anyway so far.

Children learn the most by imitating those around them so you can pat yourselves on the back here. Sure, its not going to work every time but by talking politely to each other you are setting a great example.

It used to really annoy me when I was helping in the school canteen and no pleases or thank yous were forthcoming. I used to ask if they would like some manners with their order.

#21 sāta kōrsa

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:47 PM

We both model and force too, although 'force' sounds a bit brutal, lol.  DS's default at the moment is to bark orders at me.  I just look at him and generally only need to raise an eyebrow to get a smile and a 'please mummy'.  He knows that demanding what he want gets him nothing, but he still tries it on.

#22 zogee

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:27 PM

I model and insist on please and thankyou. I can't stand rudeness in  adults -or kids who are old enough to know better. I think kids who aren't taught to say this automatically will find social situations awkward as its an accepted convention in our society. That and they'll probably get reprimanded for lack of manners by strangers, and I'd rather be the one teaching my kids what's appropriate.    

Edited for typo

Edited by zogee, 25 January 2013 - 06:28 PM.

#23 ~Supernova~

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:31 PM

Model and force here. If you can't ask nicely, you don't deserve to have whatever it is IMO. I was raised very strictly with manners, and it is something that is very important to me. Nothing quite like telling another child they need to say please first, being answered with either a blank stare or rudeness...it's not hard to teach manners people!

#24 fruitbat72

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:18 PM

Ì always have been very strict on manners, even though I am a completely half a*sed mother the rest of the time. I prefer gentle reminders to "forcing" the issue. To DH and I, being polite is something that should come automatically- it shows respect for the other person

The result is DD1 (6) has beautiful manners and her teachers have commented on what a lovely, polite child she is. DD2 (19 months) says Thank You and Excuse Me now - she doesn't say much apart from that but we think it's a good start.

#25 4kidlets

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

I agree with modelling and prompting - forcing sounds a harsh word but have not given the wanted thing until please has been said, so  I guess I am a forcer too.

Here is my chance to stand on my soap box and say I HATE it when old people say "What is the magic word".  It isn't a magic word.  It is a special word, a feel good word but nothing is magic about it.

Ive probably been known to use this phrase myself ph34r.gif

I guess  I could change it to 'whats the special word' but really seems semantics - I dont think anyone, even children, take the phrase literally.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly caf goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

WIN two Sea-Bands plus $1000

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band Prize Pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos Gift Card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.