AF weirdness - WDYT?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 TBen

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:53 PM

So AF came this month, 3 days late, and she only stayed for 3 days (she ALWAYS stays for at least 5 days, often 7), much lighter than usual. Then a week after AF started (5 days after it stopped) I got cramps like an normal period and some very light spotting with mucus for two days, and today just cramps, no spotting.

WTH? I usually have a regular and predictable cycle, so this is confusing me big time.

I took a HPT on the first day late and got a negative, should I take another one? I am pretty sure I ovulated late in the last cycle - I got EWCM approx 9 days before AF. Also one of my breasts is sore. But only one! huh.gif

Should I take another test or is my body just being weird?? unsure.gif

#2 MummyLyss

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:38 PM

Well i vote POAS!  happy.gif The "period" could have been implant spotting. With my DD i had implantation spotting, but in my case it wouldn't have been enough for a panty liner. Good luck!!

Edit: Re-read what you wrote and changed my wording to make sense.

Edited by MummyLyss, 25 January 2013 - 01:40 PM.

#3 TBen

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:51 PM

It was definitely more than spotting during the three days I did bleed, one day was reasonably heavy, but usually I have about 2-3 heavy days. I asked my doctor on Monday when I was there for something else and she said it was nothing but a short period and not to worry about it. It's just been the added cramping and spotting this week that's confused me!

#4 TBen

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:11 AM

Did a test this morning and BFP!!!!! ddance.gif

#5 Neko NoNo

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:18 AM

Congratulations!

#6 TBen

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:29 AM

Glad I trusted my own instincts (and the wisdom of the EB forum!) and not my doctor! I probably would have had a bit to drink today because I'm only day 10 of my 'cycle' for this month.

Going to be interesting working out the due date....

Edited by Bake-o-rama, 26 January 2013 - 10:38 AM.

#7 MummyLyss

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:30 AM

Woohoo!! Congrats!! Care to share a pic of your test?, its always nice to see the +ves

#8 TBen

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:45 AM

QUOTE (MummyLyss @ 26/01/2013, 10:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Woohoo!! Congrats!! Care to share a pic of your test?, its always nice to see the +ves

Here it is! original.gif

The line looks really pale now that I've scaled the image size down! It's definitely quite a strong line.

#9 lynneyours

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:59 AM

Congratulations, I could see that line from the doorway with no squinting, when I walked back in the room!

#10 Mischief Managed

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:48 PM

Woo Hoo! biggrin.gif

#11 midnightmadness

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:15 PM

Congratulations! biggrin.gif Please just be aware though that bleeding early on and a late bfp can be a sign of an ectopic, so maybe an early scan to rule that out. Good luck!

#12 MummyLyss

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:18 PM

That is a definite line! No confusion there! ^_^

I agree with PP to get an early scan! But then I would want to make opportunities to see my baby grow. Fx its a healthy, sticky one!! eexcite.gif ddance.gif eexcite.gif ddance.gif

#13 TBen

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:34 PM

Thanks for the info about ectopic - I didn't know these were symptoms so I'll make sure I discuss that with my doctor just in case.

#14 delli

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:42 PM

Good luck and Congratulations! original.gif

#15 erindiv

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:42 PM

Congratulations! Wow that's a dark line!

A lot of people have early bleeding without an ectopic pregnancy. If you don't have any other symptoms then I wouldn't be concerned. A friend of mine had an ectopic pregnancy recently and the pain is apparently excruciating.

#16 TBen

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:41 PM

Well I went to the doctor today and she immediately suggested an ectopic and sent me off for bloods and a scan. They found nothing, no ectopic, but no evidence of a pregnancy either and the blood test showed very low levels of pregnancy hormones so she's ruled it a miscarriage.
I'm shocked and so emotional right now. It really doesn't make sense to me and I was too emotional when she told me to ask any questions. I can't figure out why the test was negative right before I had the bleed that was apparently the miscarriage, yet it showed up more than two weeks later? I'm probably just in denial but it seems so wrong. She tested me today and it was still positive, but very faint compared to previous, but I'd already peed twice and it was only 10:30 am so not as strong as first morning pee. Should I just accept it or get a second opinion?
She said I would feel a bit sh*tty for the next few days while the hormones return to normal - does anyone have some advice for me as to what I can expect?

#17 intrigued

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:00 PM

I am so sorry to hear that this hasn't gone well for you :-( Look after yourself..

I  had sth similar happen in December... bit of spotting first, then what I  thought was AF (but only for a couple of days), week later more  spotting. Did a test as GP asked if I could be pregnant, that was  positive. Bloods to confirm, then couple of days later more bleeding,  then another blood test to confirm it was a - very early -  miscarriage.  

It is hard to say if how / what I felt was due to hormones or  more due to the disappointments. My head and thoughts were all over the  place. I tried to really take it easy, get a lot of sleep, baths,  massages, me-time etc. My body was fine, no cramps or more bleeding (if  you have that you should go back to the doctor as it's not right..)
It  did help that my doctor really highlighted that it wasn't anything that  I had done, and that it occurs very often and doesn't mean that you can  not get pregnant successfully straight away (which apparently happens a  lot)..

take care. I am sure you will get your BFP again soon..

#18 TBen

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:18 PM

Thanks intrigued - it helps to know I'm not alone.
I totally lost it at DH earlier because he was acting as if everything was normal. He told me he didn't think we'd lost a baby, that it was no big deal. But it hurts me, and I guess it's different because its happening in my body, and it's been so much to take in over the last 4 days. It also doesn't help that you have to have all these invasive tests and still have wishy washy results.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

5 workplace lessons for new parents

Take heart in these principles that will transfer seamlessly from the workplace into your new life as a parent.

Review: The Volvo 2015 XC90 SUV has all the safety features your family needs

The new Volvo XC90 SUV's focus on keeping you safe does not come at the expense of comfort in the XC90.

Kim Kardashian reveals she may have hysterectomy

Kim Kardashian has revealed complications during pregnancy means she might have to have a hysterectomy after the birth of her second child.

Why late night snacks wreak havoc on weight loss

Loath as you may be to admit it, chances are that at some point you have found yourself in the kitchen late at night, devouring food.

Toddler twins pretend to be asleep to fool mum

They say twins have a unique connection. If this cute clip is anything to go by, these toddler sisters like to use their special bond to try to fool their mother.

Dads who do their share have more sex: study

For women trying to encourage their partners to take more interest in fatherhood, it could be the ultimate incentive.

Think you might have IBS, coeliac disease or Crohn's? Here's what you need to know

Conditions affecting the gastrointestinal tract are common in modern humans, and many are on the rise - including irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) and coeliac disease.

Couple poses for newborn shoot with adorable puppy

Tired of being asked about their baby-making plans, Australian couple Matt and Abby decided to give a creative answer.

Win a Mountain Buggy Swift

To celebrate Essential Baby reaching half a million Facebook fans, we have a Mountain Buggy Swift to giveaway to a lucky fan.

When your toddler disagrees

There comes a time when your child starts having different views to you. I didn't realise that time would come so soon.

The exercises you know you should be doing (but probably aren't)

I bet your to-do list today is long. But somewhere on that massive list, are you making time for your pelvic floor?

How did we have babies before apps came along?

Three months ago, my wife, Chrysta, and I were driving along Melrose Avenue in Los Angeles when she let out a harrowing cry.

This baby really loves the family cat

Some babies get excited when mum or dad come to get them from their cot after a nap.

Woman gives birth after having her own mother's uterus transplanted

In a world first, a healthy baby has been born from the same womb that nurtured his own mother.

Home brand foods contain less salt than pricier rivals

Supermarket home brand foods, long derided as cheap and inferior, contain far lower levels of salt than pricier, branded rivals, new research shows.

Early exposure to peanuts recommended for allergy prevention

A paediatricians' group is recommending that infants at high risk of peanut allergies be given foods containing peanuts before they turn one.

Nannies for hire, wherever you're flying

Ever dreaded the prospect of a long flight, dreaming about how wonderful it would be for a nanny to entertain the kids?

Is it okay to name your baby with a sense of humour?

My husband was sure that Danger was a good option for a boy. And as the pregnancy progressed, it actually started to sound really good.

So hot right now: double-barrelled baby names on the rise

It's one way to make your baby stand out from the pack – giving them not one, but two first names.

Second time around: is it really better the devil you know?

When I fell pregnant with my second child I was, naturally, very excited. Then it all started to come back to me - and I freaked.

Shopping with kids: breaking the pester-power cycle

You're out shopping with your little one and they're incessantly whining that they want a treat. It's easy to say no ... the first time, at least.

Get your FREE Baby & Toddler Show ticket!

Get your free ticket to the Sydney Essential Baby & Toddler Show for September 25-27 - register online now.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

The worst 20 minutes of my life

Thirty seconds was all it took to turn a shopping trip into my worst nightmare.

Top baby names for England and Wales in 2014

George has overtaken William in the official rankings of most popular British baby names - and Game of Thrones is still having an impact on parents.

Baseball or baby? Dad's tough choice

What's more important, a baby or a baseball? That's a question this dad seems to struggle with.

Childbirth choices: five star or free?

It's not often you hear the words labour and luxury in the same sentence but for some, a 5-star start to parenthood is exactly what they seek. And with a number of private hospitals now offering packages which include a post-birth stay at a sumptuous first class resort, many mums are choosing to recover in style.

'Where did your boobies go, Mummy?' and other soul-destroying comments from kids

Most women carry a smidge of baby weight after giving birth. If you're lucky enough to have an older child in the house, they can keep you on track with your weight loss goals.

Do you read me, baby?

Is it too soon to be reading to my two-month-old son? If not, what should I read?

Minimising sibling rivalry when you've got a baby

Sibling rivalry is an act of competition, but if your children feel involved and special, this type of jealousy will be minimised.

Will studying on maternity leave take you away from your most important job?

I remember when I was trying to decide if I could combine motherhood and furthering my university education.

Win a Pacapod this Father's Day

To celebrate dads and families, we are giving away a Picos Pack from Pacapod Australia filled with a few extra goodies ENTER NOW

Preschooler hit by car shortly after baby brother's death

A mother has had a frantic race to the hospital after her daughter was hit by a car, just four weeks after her infant son died.

Gay couple and Thai surrogate in custody tug-of-war

A six-month-old baby girl is trapped in the Thai capital in a bitter custody wrangle between her Thai surrogate mother and her biological father.

Couple denied IVF over parenting concerns

A mother of six has been denied access to IVF treatment in order to have another child over concerns about her parenting skills.

The book that promises to put your children to sleep

Exhausted parents from around the world are singing the praises of a "miracle" book which promises to put even the most restless child to sleep in just minutes.

5 things every parent who feels guilty needs to know

Parenthood can make you feel bad, but you're not alone.

Royals criticise 'dangerous' attempts to photograph Prince George

The British royal family criticized paparazzi on Friday for what it called their increasingly dangerous attempts to photograph young Prince George.

'No jab, no play' rule to cover Victorian kindergartens and childcare centres

"Anti-vaxxers" face not being able to send their children to childcare centres or kindergarten if they refuse to have them immunised.

15,000 birthing kits on their way to developing countries

Giving birth in a hospital surrounded by medical experts is tough enough, but some women deliver babies without a clean sheet to lie on.

Photo of premmie 'too graphic', fundraising site says

When their son Jacob was born at just 27 weeks, Christina and Jeff Hinks were thrown into an uncertain world.

The latest Bugaboo collections: cool chevron and runner prams

Bugaboo sure likes to keep things fresh, and with the Australian spring/summer season coming up, there are two new Bugaboo pram releases.

Making room for two in the bed

Mum's room or their own room? Cot or bassinets? Deciding where twins will sleep can be tricky.

FREE TICKET

See Hi-5 LIVE in Sydney!

Get your free ticket to The Essential Baby & Toddler Show and save $20 - register online now!

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.