No benefits to breastfeeding after 3 months

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 *mylittleprince*

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:36 PM

I will start off saying I"m very pro-breastfeeding. I fed DS until he self-weaned at 17.5 months and am currently exclusively breastfeeding 15 week old twins.

In the last week I have had 3 different people tell me that breastfeeding has no benefits after 3 months and that the WHO guidelines are only because people in some countries don't have access to clean water. I've just kept quiet as they all use formula and I don't want to get into an argument. I also think fed is best rather than a starving baby.

One is a child health nutritionist who said baby's get the maximum immunity they can by 3 months.

Where are people getting this information from?

Do you agree?

#2 Ehill

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

Well no matter what they still need to eat.  And breastmilk is cheaper and easier than formula!

#3 PurpleNess

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

As a mum who really struggled with BFing and was predominately feeding EBM for the first 3 months ( along with trying to get bub to attach etc) but ended up chucking in the towel ( supply issues - you name it) which wasn't easy emotionally I think I'm in a position to say what a load a twaddle!

I would have given anything to successfully breastfeed as I feel the nutrition and immunity boost far outway formula but there is certainly a place for formula for mums like me, without it who knows what would have happened.

I'm surprised that professionals are feeding mums this rubbish, is it to make them feel better about not BFing? Perhaps.?

#4 CharliMarley

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

That is absolutely NOT TRUE! The ABA have researched breastmilk more than anyone and breastmilk is forever changing as the child grows and antibodies and all the other good stuff are still very important to a baby for as long as you and your child want to breastfeed.

#5 cinnabubble

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

Well, that's just bullsh*t.

#6 julz78

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

I think the people telling you this are completely ignorant. If people start the WHO guildelines are only for countries without clean water crap I usually call them out on it and say it is the WORLD Health Organisation's recommendations not the THIRD WORLD Health Organisation, they generally don;t know what to say to that original.gif

#7 CharliMarley

What qualifications does this "Child health nutritionist" have? A PhD in dumb?

#8 Jax12

I really don't understand why people are so quick to encourage mothers to stop breastfeeding.  What business is it of theirs and what difference could it possibly make?  My limited understanding is that this information is not correct - I am sure that perhaps the benefits may be less significant after three months but they don't disappear completely.  I strongly disagree and would find it difficult to bite my tongue, particularly the child health nutritionist who should certainly not encourage mothers to stop feeding their baby such a perfect food source.  It just boggles my mind.

If a mother was struggling to establish breastfeeding and was expressing I can understand saying, you know what, you've made it through the first three months and that is really when your baby will have received the best possible benefits of having your milk, don't feel bad, look after yourself etc etc, but if you're fine with it and so is bub, why why why???   wacko.gif

#9 deejie

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:46 PM

QUOTE (*mylittleprince* @ 25/01/2013, 01:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've just kept quiet as they all use formula and I don't want to get into an argument.

This is how I would respond to such nonsense as well. Nod and smile if needs be, then change the topic.

#10 Pup-pup

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:50 PM

In my personal experience,  whilst being breastfed my girls were definitely receiving extra immunity.  They didn't get any illness whatsoever,  not even the common cold whilst other members of the family had colds or illness.  So especially during their first winter,  it made a difference.

However,  once weaned (around 1),  I'm not convinced they are any better off than babies given formula for the first year.  And in their 2nd year,  think they had colds, gastro and other bugs the same as everyone else.

#11 Great Dame

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

QUOTE (PurpleNess @ 25/01/2013, 12:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would have given anything to successfully breastfeed

Your baby received breastmilk for three whole months?  Sounds pretty successful to me.  I hope that doesn't sound condescending because it's definitely not my intention, but I often notice a lot of posts with mums saying "... I failed/wasn't successful at b'feeding, baby only fed for X weeks/months".  I think even one day of b'feeding is a success, and three months is amazing.  

OP, I have no idea where that idea comes from.  I mean, NO benefit?  Really?  Perhaps I could believe the majority of benefit is in the first three months, but NO benefit after then?  Makes no sense.

#12 ez21

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:22 PM

Rubbish!

Perhaps these people may have been sprouting this rubbish to make themselves feel better about their own decisions?  Either way, this sort of bad information is not good for encouraging the uptake and continuation of breastfeeding.

I'm no expert on when the immunity benefits of breast milk diminish but, even if there was no immunity benefit after 3 months (which I find hard to believe), there are other benefits to both mother and child apart from this.

#13 Tesseract

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:24 PM

The childcare workers at my work swear black and blue that they can pick the breastfed babies/toddlers based on how often and how severely they get sick. They would know which children are breastfed, so I'm thinking confirmation bias is a big deal, but still!

I also recently read this article http://www.jpeds.com/article/S0022-3476%28...1036-1/abstract which states:

"Breastfeeding for less than 6 months compared with 6 months or longer was an independent predictor of mental health problems through childhood and into adolescence."

(And yes they do control for socioeconomic status, family dynamic etc!)

I have a feeling that the "no benefit after 3 months" line actually comes from the fact that it is actually very difficult (expensive etc) to study the impact of breastfeeding past 3 months. It requires quite a lot of research to actually tease out those impacts. It also requires enough study participants and the fact is that there isn't just that many babies exclusively breastfed for that long (in the west). (Yes there are lots of us, but not 'lots' on a population level hence study participants are hard.) Hence many of the earlier breastfeeding studies only looked at children up to 3 months - because of that they couldn't actually make definite conclusions about older babies - they would state "We have shown a benefit for babies breastfed for 3 months" - but this was wrongly interpreted as "there is no benefit after 3 months".

I *think* that's where it came from. Does that make sense lol?

But as an aside, well so what if it only has immunological benefits up until 3 months? What about the benefits of the intimate relationship? What about the benefits of cost and convenience? What about the benefits of comfort and hydration when a baby is sick?

And even if there weren't all those benefits too, it still doesn't matter! Certainly feeding past x months/years is not damaging in any way (general population, individual circumstances aside). They're my boobs and my child and I'll do as I please. It's an attempt to control womens bodies and police their mothering to say that since there is "no health benefits" after 3 months or 1 year or 4 years you should stop doing it.

#14 Justaduck

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:32 PM

Never heard that one, DP is always coming home with stories from the boys at work similar though...Ie So&so said they stopped feeding their child because your immunity runs out?? So&so isn't my Dr so I don't pay any attention.

At the very least, if you can bf and are happy to do so...it is free..

I worked in childcare (with bubs from15mths) and have never been able to 'pick' who was bf and not. The only thing we notice is that kids who haven't been in care before are sick more often that those who have been in care most of their lives. That is all

#15 meggs1

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:53 PM

You could always say "oh I'm not doing it for the kid, I'm in it for the extra 14 weightwatchers points".

#16 cabbagepatch

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:05 PM

QUOTE (meggs1 @ 25/01/2013, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You could always say "oh I'm not doing it for the kid, I'm in it for the extra 14 weightwatchers points".

roll2.gif

I agree with a PP who said there are more benfits than immunity and they continue ALOT longer than 3 months - close cuddles, hydration when sick, convenience, lowers risks of asthma and mothers risks of cancers...

If you CAN'T breastfeed thats fine - thats why there are alternatives, but to stop purely because there is an alternative is nuts... especially coming from people who would know all the trials and tribulations with trying to find the 'right' formula...

I would like to think I would just smile and nod in such a situation but I know thats just not true and I would give them what for

#17 JuniPooks_

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

QUOTE (Madame Protart @ 25/01/2013, 01:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your baby received breastmilk for three whole months?  Sounds pretty successful to me.  I hope that doesn't sound condescending because it's definitely not my intention, but I often notice a lot of posts with mums saying "... I failed/wasn't successful at b'feeding, baby only fed for X weeks/months".  I think even one day of b'feeding is a success, and three months is amazing.  

OP, I have no idea where that idea comes from.  I mean, NO benefit?  Really?  Perhaps I could believe the majority of benefit is in the first three months, but NO benefit after then?  Makes no sense.

This exactly original.gif

#18 Sif

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:09 PM

Children's immunity fully matures by age fourteen YEARS (edited because I was thinking of a different stage of development), not three months - so that part is complete bullsh*t.

People tell themselves whatever they need to believe to comes to terms with their life circumstances and choices.

Edited by Sif, 25 January 2013 - 02:13 PM.

#19 Melons

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:10 PM

QUOTE (Madame Protart @ 25/01/2013, 12:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

cclap.gif cclap.gif cclap.gif

#20 SWMonkey

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:16 PM

It's a load of baloney, breast milk is a LIVING fluid. When your child is sick your body creates antibodies to help him/her recover and this is not cut off at three months!

Plus, formula is a SUBSTITUTE, i.e. when breast milk is not available for whatever reason. I don't understand why people think that breast milk should just be replaced by its substitute if the breast feeding relationship is going well?

I also think it's a beautiful thing that my body nurtured my child and then makes milk for him which is perfectly tailored to his needs - how amazing is that?

#21 SWMonkey

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

Also, a child health nutritionist doesn't make them an expert on breast milk. It's like GPs giving advice on breast feeding when they are not lactation experts.

#22 Lil Chickens

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

QUOTE (Madame Protart @ 25/01/2013, 01:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well said.  Looking back on my own breastfeeding with DD I wish I had believed it for myself.  I put SO much pressure on myself to keep going with DD (and got to 13mo) and she cried/spewed during/after EVERY feed.  If DH was home he had to take her as soon as I finished as I was myself in tears and just wanted her off me.

That said by the time all that came under control I loved BF'g DD and then DS.

#23 Sir Dinosaurus

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

I am also pro-breastfeeding and have a lot of FF around me (including 2 sisters) who also tell me FF is better, easier, dad can do it...blah blah and BF has no benefit.

I recently had a conversation with my closest sister who is bordering on disgusted that I still BF DS2 (nearly 18 months) and when will I stop.

I explained to her as nicely as possible that I thought the benefits of BF through the second year was worth it, that I loved BF and it was a lovely time for the two of us to spend alone together, that it was a truckload cheaper than any other option (ie it's free) and that it was my and my sons choice, not hers so please mind her own business.

I have heard that WHO line at least 50 times - it must be doing the rounds on the pro-FF sites (ie the ones who sell it!) because it seems everyone 'knows' it laughing2.gif

Smile and nod, I agree completely with fed is better than not fed and I try not to enter the discourse unless people (mainly family) are genuinely offending me by basically telling me I'm a pervert or weirdo or my son will be a pervert or weirdo. They're the weirdos.

#24 ubermum

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:21 PM

People say lots of things to justify or feel better about their own situation, whether chosen or otherwise. It doesn't make it true.

I don't believe it because it's just not correct.

#25 Bottom

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

Oh, yes it does have benefits: they are called: broke single Mummy would have been even more broke if I'd switched to formula, end exhausted single Mummy got a lot of sleep because bf was the greatest conforter and settler. Any health benefits for my child are even more of a bonus, but if the above was all there is, I am still so glad I bf til my child was two.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Britain's youngest parents: mother 12, father 13

A 12-year-old schoolgirl and her 13-year-old boyfriend are believed to have become Britain?s youngest parents, after the birth of their baby girl earlier this week.

When Prince George met Bilby George

Prince George has met an Aussie marsupial named after him in his first official engagement in Australia.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Pregnant woman dies after doctor removes ovary instead of appendix

When a UK woman went to hospital suffering appendicitis, doctors mistakenly removed her healthy ovary - with tragic consequences.

The milestones I can't wait to celebrate

Nothing can beat the feeling of witnessing that first smile, first step and first word - but here's a list of 'firsts' I'm really looking forward to now.

How you develop in your baby's first year

Just as babies undergo rapid growth as they learn and change in their first year, we?re learning and changing quickly as parents, too. Don?t underestimate the developmental stages you go through when you have a baby.

Can you make your baby smarter even before birth?

A product new to Australia claims to help babies be born "as intelligent as possible", but not all experts agree on the benefits of educating babies while still in the womb.

How a mother's love helped unearth the skills of an autistic savant

Autistic savant Ping Lian Yeak, a prodigious artist who has had his work shown all over the world, couldn't have done it without the support and love of his proud mum.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

A tiny heart: a baby?s death gives life to another

Simon Alexander Garcia lived only one brief hour. But somewhere, a little girl?s heart is beating today because of him.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Why is childbirth still such a pain?

The options given to women to help them cope in labour have barely changed in years.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.