Juggling care and study - help!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CallMeProtart

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:56 AM

Ok, so I thought I’d post this here in case you ‘ideas ladies’ have some thoughts for me.

I work 3 days a week, at a job that I don’t either enjoy or hate, that offers me a lot of flexibility (I come in late, work from home if I need to, etc), and pays well.
The kids go to daycare on these 3 days.
I’ve started a course that has a class at 4pm on one of my work days, and it’s about an hour away from work, so I’d have to leave at 3pm.

I asked my boss if I could leave early on those days and then work from home that evening – but she wasn’t keen. She asked if I could change my workdays to do a full day.

The daycare doesn’t have a spot for DD on any other day. They MIGHT be able to find a spot for DS – but he’s the one who doesn’t really like daycare, so I’d feel pretty bad sending him in without his sister (they play during the day). I wouldn't be that hesitant if they both could go in for that day - it's only for a few months.

I think my options are:
1) Talk to my boss again about what her concerns are about my work, and see if she could come around if I can demonstrate that I really WOULD still do the work. The complications here are that I actually often DON’T have a lot to do in my workday (see EB post count). But when I do – and busy period is coming up soon – she knows full well that I work long hours and from home and out of hours etc, so me being at work wouldn’t really change anything.
2) Pull out all stops to find some care arrangements for an additional day. This would give me time to actually study for half a day, on the day that they are at daycare and I’m not at work (the day I have class). I’d probably need this study time, because of it being busy period at work, so it would be hard to be trying to fit all that study in at night if I’m working all hours as well. If it’s this option, then I think my possibilities are
a. Try to find a nanny for that day. The cost scares me though, and the unfamiliarity.
b. Contact an occasional daycare centre – there is one nearby. But I worry about the kids going to somewhere unfamiliar.
c. Send DS to daycare an additional day, and ask my SIL and her nanny if DD can go to their place on Mondays. She has 3 kids, so they can’t fit 2 extra kids in the car but they can fit one. She’s been there before and has a ball.
d. Dh’s cousin has the same nanny on a different day for half the day. Ask her if there’s any chance she can have the kids there for that half of the day, and then ask the nanny to keep my kids for the other half of the day too.
e. Put forward our planned upgrade of our car to a peoplemover, and see if SIL’s nanny would be willing to take both DD and DS and she could use the peoplemover for the day
f. Ask DH’s parents if they can do it. They used to keep the kids, but MIL has just recently gone into remission from cancer, and the FIL is getting pretty old too. The kids are low maintenance now as far as I’m concerned, but I’m not sure they’d find them so.
g. Ask DH’s parents if they could take DD only – I think they’d love this as they view her as less high maintenance (but I think this is mainly because they have never tried keeping DS). But I’d still feel bad about sending DS to daycare.
h. Try and pull together some kind of ad hoc thing. It’s just 14 weeks to get through – maybe I could ask the cousin just to do this twice, SIL to do twice (still a car issue though), PIL to do twice... maybe I could find enough friends etc who’d be willing to have the kids for one day that I could manage to make up the whole 14 weeks? It would be stressful though asking for so many favours!

What are your thoughts? Am I missing something obvious? My major concerns are partly cost, but more the trying to make that extra day of ‘care’ something fun for the kids that they’d enjoy, not a day of torture for them for their mummy’s selfishness sad.gif  And I also don't want to make it the sort of thing where it's a punishment for DS (daycare) but a treat for DD (day with rellos) as it doesn't seem fair.

Ideas?

#2 CallMeProtart

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:31 PM

Bump?

#3 Aribika

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:17 PM

Assuming that you are starting the course straight away, I would work on getting care for the extra work day that you need for the next few weeks by asking family.  If this goes fairly smoothly then agree to the different work day and then sort out more concrete plans for the rest of the 14 weeks that you need.

You never know what can change in the next few weeks.  Ask about the nanny for sure as she may be eager for extra work.  

I know what you mean about asking favours of people because I hate doing it.  I even hate asking my Mum to babysit very occasionally.  Once you start though, you may find that your family are eager to help you out for the short term.

I would avoid asking my boss again to leave early as she has already said that she is not comfortable with that.  That would be my last resort.  It sounds like you could do with the extra study day anyway and your chn would be happy to be with family.  

Good luck.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Australia's top baby names of 2013

Essential Baby has compiled the data available from government records around the country to bring you the list of Australia's top baby names of 2013.

Sara James: fighting for my daughter

Sara James was a high-profile New York journalist, but it was her own daughter's story which raised the most questions.

Siblings and best of friends

I know we'll have some tense moments. I know there will be arguments. But I also know these two will always have this most beautiful bond.

In defence of mums on the phone

I know news stories always attract a range of opinions, and I know they're a place for people to have an anonymous dig in. However, I also know that this mum bashing has to stop.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Pregnancy essentials for the second and third trimesters

So you're through the first trimester of pregnancy - congratulations! Here are some tips for getting through the next six months as comfortably and happily as possible.

Coles Easter eggs recalled due to presence of tree nuts

An allergic reaction has lead to the urgent recall of a variety of Coles brand Easter eggs.

The ultimate travel stroller: the Mountain Buggy nano

We tried the Mountain Buggy nano and give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. As the ultimate travel stroller, it's practical, has great features, and looks fab, too.

Why I love the small age gap between my kids

Six months after our son turned one, we welcomed son number two into our lives. Yes, the small age gap had been planned - and there are things I love and hate about that small gap.

Parents warned about posting kids' photos online

Parents could be putting their kids at risk by posting images and information online which give away personal details, such as where they go to school and which parks they frequent.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Mum's the word when it comes to baby news

The arrival of a baby is big news, but friends and family need to understand it is not their news to share.

What?s in your parenting toolbox?

So often as parents, we don?t really talk about our ?parenting toolboxes?. But you need to be aware of what you and your partner are working with, and to decide what does and doesn't fit in your lives.

Classroom pregnancy prank goes viral

An American college professor has had to rethink his strict rule about answering cell phones in class after being the victim of an April Fools' prank that has gone viral.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Australia's top baby names of 2013

Essential Baby has compiled the data available from government records around the country to bring you the list of Australia's top baby names of 2013.

Video: Dad turns son into action movie hero

Many kids would love to be an action movie hero in real life, but very few will ever be able to see themselves in movies like these.

Toilet training in winter

There?s no need to stop thinking about toilet training just because the temperature is dropping: winter is a good a time as any to start the process.

What do you do all day?

It's the question all new mothers dread. For Kate Fridkis, it's a question that strikes to the heart of what it is to be a woman.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Video: Baby starts his day with a dance party

Few people start their day the same way this little guy does ? dancing, smiling, and generally having an awesome time.

IKEA announces bed canopy recall

IKEA has recalled its range of bed canopies designed to suspend above children?s beds following reported cases of injuries and entanglement.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.