Changing OB

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Daisy1974

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:36 AM

Hi all

Just after some advice and people’s thoughts as this is our first baby and not sure if my expectations are too high.  I am seeing a private OB and am currently 13 weeks pregnant.  I am pretty anxious about this pregnancy given all our losses and this is the furthest I have ever got.  

So far I have had 2 appointments with my OB and I am just not sure about her.  There is nothing wrong exactly it’s just something I can’t put my finger on.  She is heavily accented so at times I can’t 100% understand what she is saying and when I have tried to talk about my anxiety with this pregnancy given the other miscarriages she is not really that empathetic.  At my appointment this week because my uterus is reverted (or something like that) she couldn’t find the baby’s heartbeat – and could only get a reading off the cord.  She said it was absolutely nothing to worry about it but it still upset me and when I got teary she didn’t even notice and when finally I asked for a tissue there was no empathy for how I was feeling and when I asked again if all was fine she just laughed and said yes.  She seems quite thorough and seems to know her stuff so I can’t complain about that.

So I guess what I am asking is am I expecting too much from an OB in regards to my anxiety and her levels of empathy or are most like that just factual and get on with the job with no fluff?  Plus, if I was too change doctors is it too late to change at 13 weeks?  Has anyone out there changed at this stage in their pregnancy?

TIA

#2 josh2003

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:01 AM

I don't know if there's a "right" answer for your question, but I'll tell you what happened with my last successful pregnancy.

We had TTC for nearly five years, and after many failed IVF attempts (I think it was 7 stim cycles!) we finally got a BFP. Problem was that I was bleeding fairly heavily, but somehow the baby managed to stay in place. At about 8 weeks I had a massive bleed and my FS told me I had a sub-chorionic hematoma (blood clot) next to the placenta, and that was what caused the big bleed. He also told me that if the clot remains smaller than the sac, then the outcome is usually good. So whilst I was still nervous, I was optimistic.

At 10 weeks, I went to see me new OB for the first time, and all he did was bang on about the blood clot, and that I could bleed out at any time and that I risked having a very pre-term baby.

He actually said to me, "I think it's best if you don't get too attached to this pregnancy". And then I lost it and started crying. My husband explained our infertility issues to him and told him it was too late to not get attached. Then he said to me, "Now don't go and tell everyone that I said you would miscarry, because that's not what I said, but people always only hear the negative..."

But when I asked him if the clot dissolved over time, would my risk reduce, he effectively knocked that on the head saying that I could still lose the baby at any time. So, even though I was trying to find some hope, he effectively took that away from me. So basically, he wasn't a very kind OB.

We continued to see him a couple of times, but each time I would come away crying, so finally my husband said that we can't keep going back to him and we should try and find someone else. By this stage, I was nearly 16 weeks, and it was way to late to try and get into another OB, but thankfully my SIL's good friend's husband is an OB, so she called him and got me in.

When I first saw the new OB, my husband and I kept asking about the clot, and he just checked me over and was fairly dismissive about it. Then he finally said that the reason he wasn't paying too much attention to it was because he wasn't really worried about it at all, and that if it was going to be a problem, it would have been evident by then.

This was the first day that I could start enjoying my pregnancy. And my new OB was fantastic all the way through my pregnancy and the delivery... very caring and empathetic.

As to whether you should change OBs, I'm not sure. I had a female OB for my first baby, and whilst she never did anything wrong, I certainly didn't click with her the way I did with my second. But yours seems a little cold or disengaged, and that would worry me a little bit, but honestly, you will be more involved with a midwife for delivery as the OB usually only pops in and out.

#3 Madnesscraves

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:08 AM

Well,

Some OBs lack bedside manners. I wouldn't like if my OB spoke to me like the way yours did, I'd be pretty upset!

Its difficult to find a new OB in the later stages, but It never hurts to ring around the hospitals and get numbers for OBS who practise there and see if there are any available. You might luck out and find another one. If there is any available go into for a visit and see if you're happy with them. I would expect my OB to put some effort into manners and show a caring side as I am paying them $$$$ to deliver my baby.

#4 Espoir

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:14 AM

In my opinion, start making calls to alternate OBs to make a change.

No way are you 'expecting too much'.  Having said that, you wont click the same way with every OB however, I can speak from experience that changing OBs at the 11 week mark was the best decision we made.  The first OB dismissed every question I had and by the time I reached the end of my list I stopped asking questions because I knew she wouldnt answer them.  Utterly unprofessional and, given I am paying steep dollars for the expertise, I wanted some kind of rapport and mutual respect with my OB.

If you are delivering at North Shore Private or Mater in Sydney
I can, without hesitation, give you a recommendation.

All the best - trust your instincts on this one.

#5 katpaws

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:17 AM

I am trying to remember when i changed OB, maybe halfway through? The reason i ended up on EB was that DH was concerned about the first OB and wanted us to change to another one, so we posted to ask if anyone had had this doctor and how they had found them as an OB. We found this OB very distant and dismissed our concerns about our first baby etc. An EB member gave us some information that gave us confidence to move to another OB, and we got recommendations on EB. The one we choose was fantastic, and gave us a totally different experience - a more positive one - and a better outcome. Yes it can be difficult changing mid stream but i think it is important that you have confidence in your OB and that you trust them. Certainly my OB was the best in terms of care and we are so thankful we changed.

#6 againagain

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:24 AM

I would find someone else. You certainly should be getting some empathy and reassurance.

If she makes you feel like crap now, she probably will for the whole pregnancy.

#7 pjemc

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:24 AM

I expect my OB (and he is) to be understanding and reassuring for all my worries and panics and stresses and I have never gone through any sort of loss. For someone who seems to have suffered loss the way you mentioned I think it would be important for you to feel comfortable, supported and reassured by your OB otherwise it is just going to cause further stress. So, you could see if you can get in with another OB and if that fails can you just say straight out to her (if you are brave enough) what you need and want and the way she has been is not helping you or making you feel better, its better than going the next 27 or so weeks and not ever feeling good about seeing her. I know for the full day after I see my OB and know everything is fine I feel so happy and relaxed, you should not feel stressed, anxious or upset.
I think some doctors in general just get so used to the same thing over and over and they reassure so many patients of the same thing they dont stop and think for you this is the first time and so it becomes second nature and they dont realise the way they are speaking to you or the stress it is causing.

Good Luck, I hope all goes well!!

#8 Rusky99

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:40 AM

QUOTE (Espoir @ 25/01/2013, 11:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you are delivering at North Shore Private or Mater in Sydney
I can, without hesitation, give you a recommendation.

If you are going to one of these hospitals, I am also happy to PM you with some info - both good and bad.

For my first pregnancy I saw an OB who delivers at the Mater.  At my 12 week scan, there was no heartbeat.  She was not sympathetic at all - the OB and her receptionist were just focused on getting the bill paid and getting me out of there as soon as possible.  Meanwhile I was crying while trying to sign a credit card payment slip.

As a result, when I became pregnant again, I changed OBs.  I also miscarried the second pregnany, bu the reaction when I had a scan with no heartbeat was so different.  Both the OB and midwife were focused on doing their best to comfort me.

When I became pregnant for a third time (the successful one), I didn't hesitate to go back to the second OB.

Changing was the best decision I made.

#9 MrsLexiK

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:42 AM

I am very anxious as well OP, I actually picked a straight talking OB who wouldn't take my anxiety crap.  At 13 weeks in my area you wouldn't get into another OB, but I would phone around and see you never know.  I guess the main thing is, is that I am comfortable with my OB, and I like he is straight forward if you are not comfortable with her then do look into other OB's if you can.

#10 Daisy1974

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:45 AM

Thank you all for your responses so far - I think I will do a ring and around and see if I can find someone else at this stage.

I am going to RPA in Sydney so if anyone has any recommendations I would love to hear from you via PM.

Thanks again

#11 Eirinn

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:54 AM

I agree you should change if you are not comfortable with your care provider.

Just wanted to say that it is hard to hear a heartbeat via doppler at 13 weeks, whether or not you uterus is retroverted. Getting the cord sounds is fine, and they are able to extrapolate the heartrate from those cord sounds.

So it sounds like an insensitive OB is your only problem!

#12 KateElwood

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:04 PM

I changed at 20 weeks.
I went from Dr 'Best In Town, Sorry What Was Your Name Again?' to a really nice, old school OB.
I should have left after he told me I wasnt pregnant twice while doing an internal scan at 6 weeks and then a follow up a week later.
He was looking at a blood clot - and told me it was an empty sac. As he was taking out the wand (for want of a better word) he nudged up against a pregnancy sac and with a heartbeat!!!! 'Oh sorry about that...'
That was the first of his stuff ups, lets just say.

Go with your instincts.

#13 Juju38

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:27 PM

Hi Daisy

I have tried sending you a PM re my OB at RPA medical centre, who I am really happy with, but PMs are not working at my end.  If you like, can you try sending me a PM and I will try responding to it?

#14 Daisy1974

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:30 PM

Juju

Thanks so much - I just sent you a PM.  Hopefully it is working from my end.

Cheers

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

For and against

Should Blue Ivy have been at the VMAs?

Many were quick to condemn Beyonce and Jay Z after appearing on stage at the MTV Video Music Awards with their two-year-old daughter, but others thought it was a sweet family moment. What do you think?

Toddler attacked at gym creche

Two-year-old girl Eva Ness was left with a black eye and bite marks on her face and body after an altercation with an older child at a health club's child-minding facilities. Now her parents are calling for the centre to be closed.

Pregnancy a tricky matter of timing for FIFO couples

Manipulating rosters, coordinating 'conjugal' visits, working on site with your partner; getting pregnant can prove stressful for FIFO workers.

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

Carseats have twice as many germs as a toilet

Most parents know their child's carseat is not always squeaky clean, but they might not realise just how dirty it really is.

Doctors remove foetus from 'medical marvel' after 36 years

Doctors in India have removed the skeleton of a foetus that had been inside a woman for 36 years.

Nine months in six seconds: new parents' Vine clip a hit

We?ve seen some memorable time-lapse pregnancy and birth announcement videos before. Now one new couple has taken it to the extreme, capturing it all in just a six-second Vine video.

Sonia Kruger speaks of baby joy

Celebrity mum-to-be Sonia Kruger has spoken candidly about using donor eggs and IVF to fall pregnant at age 48.

Dressing to not impress: life through the eyes of a three-year-old

When it comes to getting dressed, my three-year-old has only one criterion: ?I don?t want to look beautiful.? And now I've worked out why.

Special nappies made with love for angel babies

Angel Baby Nappies make and provide tiny bereavement cloth nappies for pre-term stillborn babies and premature babies who pass away in the NICU.

Inside the brain of a tantruming toddler

What's going on in your child's mind in the lead-up to a tantrum? And what?s the best way to respond?

5 secrets to a long-lasting relationship

When it comes to keeping your relationship strong, it?s what you do - and not what you want - that really matters.

When 'furbabies' meet real babies

I am obsessed with my dogs, and can't imagine loving them any less once my baby arrives. But that doesn't stop everyone from telling me I will.

The least popular baby names of 2013

Looking for a baby name that?s nowhere near the top 10 ? or even the top 1000? Try the bottom five.

'I was so sleep deprived I crashed my car'

There are no laws regulating driving while tired, but statistics show that driver fatigue is one of the top three contributors to the road toll.

Why are there so few sexy maternity bras?

Rather than feeling ashamed of their post-baby bodies, women should be free to buy lingerie that makes them look attractive and pretty - no matter what stage of life they're in.

Toddler Alliyah one step closer to first trip home

She has lived the first 14 months of her life in a hospital intensive care unit, but Alliyah Broadby's parents hope to finally take their little girl home with them.

'Put people before IVF profits': IVF pioneer Alan Trounson

IVF could be done for hundreds of dollars in Australia instead of $8500 if clinics stopped charging what ''the market will handle'', a pioneer of the technology says.

Expectant parents urged to swap the pub for bub

Nearly one in five women drink while pregnant, but a current campaign is trying to drive down that unhealthy statistic.

Nutella supplies threatened by bad weather

There's bad news for fans of Nutella, the gooey, chocolatey hazelnut spread.

The cost of growing your own vegies

Does it make financial sense to grow your own veggies, or are you better off ordering produce from the local food co-op?

Breastfeeding mums less likely to suffer from PND, but all need support

A new study has shown the a complex relationship between a mother?s intention to breastfeed, her ability to do so, and postnatal depression.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

Going viral

Mum gives birth at school

After four decades in the industry, pest controller John Birkett couldn't believe what he found in one woman's bedroom.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.