Everything tastes gross!
Didn't have THIS last pregnancy...

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Le-a

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:50 PM

So. It's like I have a strangers spit in my mouth, but without the pashing, lol.

It's kind of a sweet, metallic taste and even food I usually really like tastes wrong.

So weird, I dont remember experiencing this when I was pregnant with DS.

As its only really early days in this pregnancy, can you tell me when/if this symptom went away for you?

#2 (feral)epg

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:55 PM

I had that weird metallic taste thing quite early, had forgotten about it so it must have gone away fairly quickly.

#3 Vienna

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:14 PM

I had that throughout both my pregnancies - metallic taste, food all seemed to taste wrong, and just excess saliva in general.  For me it eased about halfway through the pregnancy, along with the morning sickness.

#4 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:34 AM

I still remember watching the first series of "Sixteen and Pregnant" and there was one girl who had to spit constantly (including while in labour). She walked around carrying a Pringles can to spit into.

#5 ma-ma

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:42 AM

Oh I know that feeling! I'm always hungry but everything taste yuck! Everyday is a struggle trying to decide what to make / eat. sad.gif I'm 17 weeks along now and it's still hard!

#6 againagain

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:52 AM

Yes same and I haven't had this before. I constantly have a funny taste in my mouth it's gross and makes me feel ill. I'm only 7.5 weeks.

#7 Le-a

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:28 AM

QUOTE (Kiwi Bicycle @ 25/01/2013, 06:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I still remember watching the first series of "Sixteen and Pregnant" and there was one girl who had to spit constantly (including while in labour). She walked around carrying a Pringles can to spit into.

Oh now that is disgusting.

#8 Jenferal

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:33 AM

My first pregnancy I had the horrible metallic taste, but not my second one.
Not even chewing gum got rid of it.

#9 nonny1

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:14 AM

I've had this with 2 pregnancies. Mine was more of a sour taste and nothing took it away. It lasted the whole of my first pregnancy but was definitely more tolerable towards the halfyway mark. My second pregnancy ended at 15 weeks mellow.gif and I had the bad taste for another 3 weeks after! My normal sense of taste came back just in time for Christmas...which was a good and a bad thing...

#10 robot sm

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:30 AM

I have no idea, but could it be something you're missing in your diet?? I remember reading that sometimes people crave strange things when they are low in certain nutrients; could a metallic taste mean lower levels of iron or something? Just a suggestion!  Maybe have a look at your latest blood test results for anything that is on the lower side.

#11 Koobie83

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

I had it. I had it more over nausea. It's so awful. Try licking lemons. I know it sounds gross but it cleans your tongue and gets rid of that taste for a while.

Oh - and all my blood work was fine. I think it's just one of those wonderful by-products of progesterone. Mine was probably all gone by 15 weeks or so.

Edited by Koobie83, 25 January 2013 - 01:10 PM.

#12 HappyWomble

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

It's the HCG in your body. I had that taste when I was getting fertility treatment and was taking HCG shots. A definite metallic taste and the only pregnancy symptom I got while taking the HCG.

#13 RealityBites

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:30 PM

This was my first symptom and went away at about 14 weeks; I had to suck lollies at night to get rid of the taste.

I also had bad HG.

#14 fun_fairz

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

I had it the whole way through my first but not second pregnancy. Particularly certain vegetables like broccoli, which used to be my all time favourite. I developed cravings for mandarins, steak and Pad Thai as they were three of the only things which did not taste off. I would carry around handfuls of mandarins.

#15 Le-a

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:10 PM

QUOTE (robotsimone @ 25/01/2013, 11:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have no idea, but could it be something you're missing in your diet?? I remember reading that sometimes people crave strange things when they are low in certain nutrients; could a metallic taste mean lower levels of iron or something? Just a suggestion!  Maybe have a look at your latest blood test results for anything that is on the lower side.

INteresting point. I'll ask at my first Drs appointment to get bloods done for iron. I think I was a bit low in iron during my last pregnancy.

Thanks everyone, it's nice to know I'm not the not person on the planet who's walking around with what feels like a mouth full of 50c pieces!

I'm hoping it's a good sign and this pregnancy is healthy.

#16 MsFeral

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

I'm 11 weeks and have had it on and off since about 6 weeks. It's awful, and it really gets me down. The days I have it I seem to have worse nausea too. I suck butter menthols, chuppa chups and chewing gum constantly.

#17 i_like_cake

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:33 PM

It's funny, i found this post, because I was searching for "loss of sense of taste", and found this thread.

I am actually 27 weeks, and feel like everything has started to taste really bland and kind of weak like warm salty water.

I dont remember this happening with my first pregnancy, and with both my pregnancies, I had a heightened sense of smell and taste at the beginning...

but now, it feels like stuff has actually changed in flavour. for example, today I ate a gourmet hamburger and chips, and a sugared donut (I know, lashing out at a BBQ picnic) .... but they tasted really bland and ... uninspiring, yet my husband was saying they were awesome.

I felt sad!!!! HAHA! I had lashed out on that crappy food, hoping to get that lovely sugar/salt high, and there was nothing.

It felt wasted...

Oh well.........

From what Ive been reading/googling, it will all return to normal after the babies out.

*sigh* only 3 months to go. :unsure:

#18 marley*and*me

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:45 PM

36 weeks here and I have had it since 4 weeks! I also suffer from hyper salivation and constant nausea. So yes I find spitting helps me.

I have tried just about everything and nothing gets rid of the metallic taste and those those that work short term make the salivation do much worse. Then the nausea gets worse... It is a shocking cycle.

I seriously can't wait for this baby to arrive do I can give my teeth a really good brush. That has been the hardest part, not being able to brush as it just makes everything do much worse.

#19 bree18

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:39 PM

I had it badly for the first few weeks and then just occasionally for the rest of first trimester.

I_like_cake- I'm 26 weeks and feel like over the last week or two things have stopped tasting nice. My DH and eldest DD keep telling me things are nice too but I feel like I've lost some taste buds somewhere in the last few weeks.

#20 i_like_cake

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:33 PM

Glad others are experiencing the same thing! that makes feel heaps better - thanks Bree18!

Also, when I was googling tonight, of all the crappy articles I found, there was one standout research-based article that was really interesting - about taste changes in pregnancy - have a look here. looks reassurringly legitimate, i.e. from a uni.

Taste changes during pregnancy:  http://ajcn.nutritio.../3/414.full.pdf

#21 ScarfaceClaw

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:41 PM

Second pregnancy I found food really unsatisfying. Even if I craved it, or at least had decided I'd be ok eating it, I found it all tasted a bit meh. I'd look forward to something and then be rather disappointed at the result.
I never got a taste tho.

#22 Mel ...

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:42 AM

im 32 weeks and would happily give up food all together........... it all smells gross or makes me feel sick. except ice cream and oranges - but not together!

#23 Le-a

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:49 AM

Oh hello old thread!

It's the OP here, just thought I'd report back to say I'm 34 weeks now, and The Taste and I parted ways, probably about week 9. Sorry to those who are still experiencing it.

Also, my iron was fine initially, it's a little bit in the low side now, but nothing to worry about.

Interestingly, we found out we are having a girl this time, and my first pregnancy resulted in a boy, so even my OB agreed with me that this could result in different preg symptoms due in part to differing hormones.

May all our tatebuds return to normal ASAP!

#24 Ali-Nan Plum Jam

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:55 AM

Le-a - I didn't have this symptom with my first pregnancy, a boy, but did with my second pregnancy, a girl, too! Mine disappeared around week 9/10 as well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss, as it involves toilet talk. But it needs to be talked about.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.