High Interest Savings Account?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 beaglebaby

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:54 PM

Does anyone have any recommendations?  We've had money in one with a special bonus interest period and the bonus period is now over so it's earning pretty much somewhere between nothing and bugger all!  Time to move it!  Criteria - must be covered by the govt guarantee, would prefer it accessible rather than term deposit, don't care if it's only online access, don't plan on making withdrawals, would rather not have to keep making deposits - but would if it made a huge difference.

Thanks original.gif

#2 Lynneghl

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:46 PM

I have an ANZ account, as long as you deposit a certain amount each month and don't make any withdrawals, it will pay the normal interest and also the additional bonus interest.

#3 Amy 1976

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:39 AM

I like my UBank Saver account. It's online or phone banking only. It's associated with National Australia Bank.

#4 YumChaDaily

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:46 AM

Yep, ubank here too, but I started it a while ago, and I need to get around to seeing if it's still the best rate available.

#5 Escapin

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:54 AM

Check on the canstar rating site and see who's paying the most interest. All Australian banks/credit unions/etc and local subsidiaries of international banks are covered by the govt guarantee so that's not something you need to worry about. Unless you have more than $1million, in which case, I'd be getting some serious financial advice and not just putting it in a bank account!!

#6 *melrose*

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:06 AM

I will keep a eye out on this as I am on the look out as well.

#7 *melrose*

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:06 AM

Double post.

Edited by *melrose*, 25 January 2013 - 10:06 AM.

#8 beaglebaby

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:42 PM

LOL Escapin, that would be a problem I'd love to have!  Nowhere near that amount but as it's earmarked for something specific in the next couple of years and the state of both the share and property market our financial planner recommended we keep it in the bank - pretty rare advice from a financial planner!  

Off to check out ANZ, ubank and canstar, so far the best I've seen apart from the short term offers (and experience tells me I won't be organised enough to move the money every 4 months to keep using the good introductory rates) is RAMS at 4.82% if you deposit $200 a month or 4.02 if you just leave it without monthly deposits.

#9 abbyminnie

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:16 PM

Reward Saver at Westpac has 4.67% at the moment

#10 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:20 PM

ING? Intro rate of 5%.

#11 asdf89

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:59 PM

If you're happy with your current bank, can you just open a new savings account with them and transfer the money to that?

I have a savings account with NAB and each time the bonus interest expires I just open a new account. Super easy to do online (but you have to go into a branch to close the old account)

#12 jks91

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:16 PM

Me Bank online savings account.  5.1% variable intro rate for first 12 months.

http://mebank.com.au/personal/bank-account...savings-account

#13 Another one

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:24 PM

Do you have a mortgage on your home with free redraw?  Put it there.  I bet your mortgage rate would be higher than any interest rate you can find.

You will not pay tax on the interest you 'earn' as savings on your mortgage interest.

#14 sa5ha

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:31 PM

Another vote for UBank!

#15 SeaPrincess

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:37 PM

QUOTE (beaglebaby @ 25/01/2013, 02:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and experience tells me I won't be organised enough to move the money every 4 months to keep using the good introductory rates

Mum rings her bank every time her account finishes and threatens to move all of the banking unless they match the intro offers.  She's been doing it for years.

#16 mumz3

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:59 PM

I just opened a stgeorge maxisaver account. Can access it whenever you want and get 4.80% interest

#17 Moo point

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

UBank. Current interest rate is 4.66%, plus if you set up an automatic savings plan and deposit $200 per month you get an extra .7% interest (5.36% total).

#18 Sui-yat

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:30 PM

ING also offer an extra 0.75% interest if you increase your balance by $200 per month.

I would consider a personal term deposit if you don't think you need the money. If you do need to break it, most of them still give you interest, it is just their usual savings rate rather than the term deposit interest rate.

#19 pinkpineapple

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:21 PM

I had a unbank account. Great for interest and use. Had an ing for years but the rate really dropped so transferred to ubank and my online saver through my credit union.

#20 Keepleft

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:59 AM

AUS GovCo bank guarantee stopped March 2010:-
http://www.guaranteescheme.gov.au/

Governments would be mad, to use taxpayer funds, OR rely on printing - to 'guarantee deposits', risky, particularly 2013 and on.

Edited by Keepleft, 03 February 2013 - 09:18 AM.

#21 Wallymaduka

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:50 AM

ING? Intro rate of 5%.

Yes but that's just for 4 months, before dipping back to 3.25% with a 0.7% bonus when you deposit $200/month - which brings it up to only 3.95% over all.

UBank are offering 4.66% which includes the 0.7% bonus.

Just worked out that with my deposits, I can earn over $700 interest in one year with UBank.  Not bad.

Edited by 808state, 03 February 2013 - 09:59 AM.

#22 jayskette

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:56 AM

if you would be bothered - just ask for a higher interest rate. Chances are they will give it to you rather than losing you. Or do what shy people I do - close the account, open one somewhere else

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Jammy, Hula Hoop, Rage: Reddit reveals most unusual baby names

A recent Reddit thread has revealed some of the more creative names in the world.

Woman awakens from coma, learns she gave birth

A US woman awakened this week from a four-month-long coma that doctors had feared would be permanent and learned that she had given birth to a baby boy, according to her family.

'Give us a break': mum sent shocking letter over Facebook baby pics

Posting a lot of baby photos doesn't make you a bad person. It may make your Facebook feed a little irritating, but it doesn't make you a bad person.

In defense of the dads who do so much

It's time to shift the focus off what dads aren’t doing and shine it on what they are.

The modern cloth nappies too cute to cover up

If you're only just joining the modern cloth nappy movement, or would like to spruce up your collection, we have to introduce you to Designer Bums.

How breastfeeding can affect your libido

When you’ve just had a baby, having sex isn’t usually top priority. In fact, for a lot of women it rates about as appealing as changing another dirty nappy.

Should pregnant women be allowed to use 'parent and child' car parking spots?

Is it acceptable to use these car parking spots when pregnant? How many of us would admit to doing it?

Healthy baby from sperm taken 48 hours after a man died

Fertility doctors have described their "most extraordinary case" - creating a healthy baby from sperm taken 48 hours after a man had died.

How pregnancy probiotics can help you and your baby

New research suggests that taking specific pregnancy probiotics could be the answer to a range of common pregnancy side effects.

Childcare is a big problem, but there's more to it

Let’s keep talking about these issues and not allow them to be put into a neat little box that’s labelled ‘Fix childcare and everything is solved’.

Pink's awesome response to body-shaming trolls

When trolls felt the need to comment on 35-year-old singer-songwriter Pink's weight, her answer was an awesome ode to body love.

Fertility clinic offers egg donors $5000

A national chain of fertility clinics is offering egg donors a $5000 payment to cover their expenses, a first for Australia which is raising concerns the money could act as an inducement.

Baby boy abandoned in India amid fresh surrogacy concerns

Australian officials could do nothing to stop an Australian couple from abandoning their baby son, born through surrogacy in India, after they decided they did not want to bring him to Australia.

Herd immunity and community responsibility: how free-riders can make kids suffer

Individual choice works for haircuts and handbags, but not for preventing infectious diseases that kill kids.

Photographer captures 'unexpected beauty' of birth

If there is one thing Leilani Rogers knows about childbirth, it is that no two deliveries are ever the same.

Expectations vs the reality of making a toddler's clothes

Note to self: less sewing, more life. Not the party dress, but the party. The toddler, as usual, has it all figured out.

Mum meets 'dead' daughter 49 years after birth

In 1965, Zella Jackson-Price was told her premature baby girl had died shortly after birth.

Sign up to receive 30 amazing tips and ideas for play with baby during the month of April and submit a picture or tip on our social wall for a chance to win an amazing Fisher-Price prize pack.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Sign up to receive 30 amazing tips and ideas for play with baby during the month of April and submit a picture or tip on our social wall for a chance to win an amazing Fisher-Price prize pack.

Tips for flying with a baby

Travelling with kids requires a whole other set of skills - ones that I have learned through (sometimes unfortunate) trial and error.

How to stay calm in an emergency

I’m not expecting you to be as calm as you might be right now. What I mean is that if your panic levels are through the roof during a stressful situation, let’s bring them down to just under the ceiling.

Toddler gets 'drunk' after cranberry juice mix-up

A toddler was taken to hospital after a waitress served her sangria instead of cranberry juice at a US restaurant.

We need to stop using this word when we talk about childbirth

Is it shaming to point out that women are often being let down in birth?

The certificate helping parents deal with pregnancy loss

For some people, this certificate will offer a sense of validation that their child was acknowledged as being here and now gone, and will help them with life post-loss.

The phenomenon of phantom pregnancy kicks

'Phantom pregnancy kicks’ are encountered by many mums months - or even years - after their pregnancy is over.

The health insurance advice you can't afford to ignore

There's one simple switch that could save you hundreds of dollars a year in private health insurance.

4D scans show how smoking affects babies still in the womb

The harmful effects of smoking during pregnancy on unborn babies may be seen in tiny movements in their faces using 4D ultrasound scans, research has found.

The most dangerous toddler food trends

Pete Evans' paleo cookbook for kids caused a storm, but there are plenty of other unsafe food trends for babies and toddlers.

Infection killed new mum of twins

Modern medicine could not save 19-year-old Sophie Burgess who died 48 hours after giving birth to twins in the UK.

How to babyproof your job interview

Once upon a time, I was a fan of job interviews. That all changed after I'd switched careers, had a baby and decided to spend the first year at home with her.

Grieving families give warnings after toddler deaths

Two Queensland families are grieving the loss of their toddler sons after the boys drowned in separate incidents last week.

Man faces jail after giving woman abortion pill smoothie

A Norwegian man is facing jail after putting abortion pills in his ex-girlfriend's smoothie, causing her to have a miscarriage.

'He's a blessing': family of baby born without eyes

Jordy Jackson was born without eyes. He has anophthalmia, which affects one in every 100,000 babies born.

Super fit model Sarah Stage defends her pregnancy body

Model Sarah Stage has defended her pregnancy body after critics claimed her slim figure at eight-and-a-half months pregnant wasn't "normal".

Why I post breastfeeding photos online

I love to take pictures of my children. In some of the pictures, my younger son is nursing.

The day I broke my baby

There are things I wish I didn't know. I wish I didn't know that companies make tiny braces, small enough to hold necks no bigger than a wrist.

Geeky baby gear

If your family is more into Star Wars, gaming and the periodic table than most, you might want to check out these geek-chic baby items.

Grandbabies: the babies born looking old

Not a day under 65 and a lifetime of struggle! That's the look of these newborns, who look adorably older than their real age. Social networking site Reddit recently featured user submissions of adorable grandbabies, here are our favourites.

53 creative pregnancy announcements

Announcing that you're expecting can be a time to express your creativity, sense of humour and imagination. Check out how other parents and parents-to-be have broken the news to friends and family.

IKEA hacks for the nursery and kids' rooms

Are you one of those that know the whole IKEA catalogue by heart? Love their stuff but want to personalise it? Here's some inspiration to help you realise the potential of IKEA furniture and fittings.

36 baby names inspired by food and drinks

A French court may have ruled out Nutella as a baby name, but that doesn't have to stop you from taking inspiration from the supermarket (or bottle shop). See what parents in the US have chosen for their delicious little ones.

Clever breastfeeding products

Check out this range of products designed to help make your breastfeeding journey more enjoyable, manageable and convenient.

ENTER NOW!

Win a year's worth of toys

Receive a daily email from Essential Baby for just the month of April with great play tips and ideas, then submit your baby at play photos to our Playwall, Instagram or Twitter for your chance to win.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.