Hypodontia or congentially missing teeth
Does anyone have experience with this?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 sedawson

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:31 PM

My 9-yr-old has just had x-rays and turns out he's missing four adult teeth completely - two top and two bottom front teeth. They were never present and will never appear. I had no idea this was a thing! Will be seeing orthodontist and I presume they will either whack some braces on to preserve enough room for implants in early adulthood, or try to move the remaining teeth closer together. Either way I'm not thrilled...

No one wants their child to have dental problems, right? Does anyone have any experience with hypodontia that they can discuss with me? I'd be really happy to hear them if so.

#2 ~flaxen~

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:44 PM

I will be watching this. DS2 is missing one baby tooth and according to the one dental visit we have had  blush.gif is missing the corresponding adult tooth as well. There was some talk of pulling another tooth on the other side to even things up and then braces. We are seeing a different dentist again in a few weeks time for a checkup so will see what they say.

#3 mandala

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:45 PM

I think it's not uncommon. I only had three wisdom teeth, and I know a couple of other people with missing wisdom teeth too. It's probably different with wisdom teeth, though!

#4 leo the lioness

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:47 PM

One of DD's friends has four adult teeth missing as well.  Was only just talking to her mum about it on Tuesday!  Her mum was saying they are going for braces at the moment and she will need implants down the track.

#5 morgansacre

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:55 PM

I have four adult teeth missing....in fact this runs in my family, all my children have one or more teeth missing.

Three DDs have only three wisdom teeth, I have only had two, both fell out.

I never knew there was an actual name for it, but it is very common.

Lynn

#6 **Xena**

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:07 PM

I have 4 missing teeth. 3 baby teeth have fallen out now and I still have one left that has no adult tooth to grow into the space.

It's very often hereditary.

#7 Amy 1976

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:21 PM

I have 8 teeth naturally missing. The ones next to my front teeth, two top molars and all four wisdom teeth.

I had orthodontic work as a teen in the early 1990's and, as was usual at the time, I had two more teeth pulled out on the bottom to even things up and everything was sort of pushed forward to close the gaps.

Two baby teeth (molars) were left in place on the top. These eventually had to be pulled out when I was 30 years old.

I now wear a partial denture on top to fill the gaps where the baby teeth came out. I could replace this with two dental implants if I wanted to.

My teeth look great and the missing teeth haven't caused any problems.

These days I believe it's more common to leave all existing teeth in place and make space for dental implants when doing orthodontic work.

It will be expensive but your sons teeth will end up looking great and will work as well as anyone else's.

#8 happygurl06

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:22 PM

I had six baby teeth with no adult teeth to come through.  4 are molars and two are the top canines .  So far I've lost two molars due to decay, and one canine that we keep capping.  The others we keep an eye on... At the sight if any decay the dentist cleans and fills.  Apparently they prefer not to do root canal in then that's why the two that decayed too much had to be extracted.

The canines I'm hoping last because for my vanity I'd want implants if they had to be extracted and that a lotta $$$.

#9 Cirrus

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:24 PM

Has he lost the baby ones yet? I found out through xrays that I was missing two adult teeth under baby teeth, but those baby teeth never fell out. In Uni years I had them removed at the same time as wisdom teeth and I think one may have started to wobble a bit before that.
Then once the gums had totally healed, I had implants put in which was a series of appointments over maybe 6 months, and about $10,000 I think (no private health insurance). I wonder(doubt) if they would do implants in a jaw that was still growing as the screws bond to the bone and the teeth are designed to match your other adult teeth in colour etc. Implants are great and will last a lifetime without smoking and good dental hygiene.

#10 Pretz

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:25 PM

I never had any wisdom teeth at all-Yay!

This was in interesting thread- I never knew so many people didn't get all of their adult teeth!

#11 Escapin

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:28 PM

I've had 8 removed (4 wisdom and 4 molars) due to my studiply small mouth so missing a few naturally sounds great to me! Probably not so much when it's you or your kid though...

#12 BreezaH

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:28 PM

No wisdom teeth either here!

#13 Excentrique

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:33 PM

I have one missing adult tooth. Luckily its a molar so can't be seen.

I had it capped when I was about 15 to make it the size of an adult tooth.

I'm now 26 and have been told the roots are very short on it and it was supposed to fall out by christmas. Its still hanging on though, not at all wobbly.

I've been recommended the implant over other options but find the price very off putting. I'm leaning towards having a gap and doing nothing!

Edited by Excentrique, 24 January 2013 - 08:35 PM.

#14 LuckyDucky

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:38 PM

Hello! I was missing 4 adult teeth - which we discovered when I was 15. My orthodontist arranged for me to have the baby teeth that hadn't fallen out (since there were no adult teeth behind them) pulled out, and used braces so I didn't have gaps. They said it was best to get the baby teeth out so they didn't fall out later (since they would wear out quickly) and leave big gaps. It was no big deal at all.

#15 little lion

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:39 PM

My cousin had this. I forget how many teeth it was but they were important ones (not just wisdom teeth). After braces and implants (titanium screws I think) as a teenager, he has really amazing teeth now as an adult.

#16 **Xena**

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:44 PM

Oh I also didn't get wisdom teeth!

#17 SUSIE25

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:49 PM

I have heard its hereditary too. My tooth on the right side of my front teeth is like this. no adult tooth was coming. I had braces for 3.5yrs and the implant done about 1 yr ago.
Not cheap but worth it as they were a front tooth. I was in my mid 30s when I started treatment.

Edited by SUSIE25, 24 January 2013 - 08:50 PM.

#18 SusieGreen

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:33 PM

My 6 yr old does not have the teeth either side of her top front ones (eye teeth?) It is quite noticeable. Youngest son is missing one of his and eldest son has them but they are very, very small and will need to be capped. I also did not have one of mine. My niece has one missing as well as a tiny one. Definitely genetic in our family.
At this stage I'm not sure what will be done for the youngest. Eldest currently has braces and will have caps after they come off.

#19 jazzpup

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:45 PM

I have just one baby tooth, it has survived with no capping, no braces or implants and only one filling.
I am 40 and it is still hanging in there!!!
Wait and see what the dentist has to say, with me they took the option of wait and see...
Still waiting for something to happen..............
Every one is different, so try not to panic just yet!!

#20 AMPSyd

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:12 AM

DS (aged 11) has this - 3 missing adult teeth.

At the moment he has plates to correct an overbite (which is working really well). When he is in High school he orthodontist will look at braces and implants.

I have not heard of anyone on wither side of the family with this problem.

#21 sedawson

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:50 AM

With those who've had braces for their kids, is anyone interested in telling us roughly how much that cost? I'm feeling a bit glum about the money to be frank, but I can't have my son with poor teeth. What happens if you don't have the money up front? Do they let you pay it off?

#22 AMPSyd

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:18 PM

I don't know about braces but my son's plates cost $2500 (or thereabouts). I paid an up front payment of around $900 and the rest in instalments of $150 per month. I would say most orthodontists would do a payment plan like this.

#23 KatakaGeoGirl

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:24 PM

I only ever had 1 wisdom tooth. I know of someone who never had adult teeth at all but as the adult teeth never pushed them out of the way she still has them all (20's I believe).

#24 SusieGreen

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:37 PM

QUOTE (sedawson @ 25/01/2013, 10:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
With those who've had braces for their kids, is anyone interested in telling us roughly how much that cost? I'm feeling a bit glum about the money to be frank, but I can't have my son with poor teeth. What happens if you don't have the money up front? Do they let you pay it off?

$6300 for top and bottom braces for my DS. Had to make an initial payment of $1200 and then $800 every 3 months.

I'm a single parent and his dad wouldn't contribute ANYTHING so I understand your 'glumness'  It's a huge expense  sad.gif

#25 123tree

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:34 PM

I am an identical twin.  My sister was missing her wisdom teeth but I got them despite the fact we are supposed to be genetically the same.

As for prices on braces we both had them but because my teeth were more crooked than hers I know my braces cost at least $1000 more (20 years ago) plus surgery on the roof of my mouth.  So what I am saying is that asking people how much braces cost may be the same as asking how long is a piece of string.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Life with anxiety

At times, I feel pretty worthless. In those moments, all I want to do is curl up into a ball and hide in the dark. I can try to quiet my mind, but it won?t shut up.

IVF leaves woman pregnant with another couple's twins

An Italian woman has been told the twins she is three months pregnant with are not hers.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

What you need for the 'fourth trimester'

In my opinion, the first three months after the birth are the most intense. Here's what got me through that time after welcoming my baby.

Weaning a toddler off a dummy: a 15-day plan

Weaning your child off the dummy can be a traumatic experience for both of you. Here are some tips to help you through.

Choosing to be a solo parent

Two women share their stories of longing for a baby so much that they each decided not to wait for a partner before becoming a mum.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

The ultimate travel stroller: the Mountain Buggy nano

We tried the Mountain Buggy nano and give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. As the ultimate travel stroller, it's practical, has great features, and looks fab, too.

Mum's heartbreak as son dies in road accident

Daly Thomas and her two young sons were walking home from church on Tuesday afternoon. Her youngest son never made it.

New Kate Spade baby bag designs

Don?t adjust your screen: this bright beauty is coming to you in full colour.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.