What's the worst thing to find out about someone after they've died?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Dinah_Harris_*

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

This week,  after doing a little family research,  I stumbled across a distant relative who had secretly married another woman and had a secret family that the rest of my family knew nothing about until he died.
It got me thinking about people leading double lives,  and people who have secrets that only come out once they've died.
What do you think would be the worst thing to discover about a loved one upon their death?   Has this ever happened to you?

#2 Maple Leaf

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:26 PM

Not me personally, but a family friend. Her father disappeared and presumed dead (fishing boat accident). Years later he was spotted in another state with another family. He had faked his death.

So, kind of not what you were asking, but it was really awful for her to find out someone wanted to get away so badly that they faked their death (and had loved ones mourn them and left their children/wife) and just started over.

She never got over it actually.

#3 librablonde

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:31 PM

I know someone whose DH died and after he died she discovered he had squandered absolutely every cent of their money without her knowledge. She was left grief stricken and penniless.

#4 aidensmum

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:31 PM

I be annoyed to find out that they had left their estate to charity instead of little old me. Tounge1.gif

#5 Peppery

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:33 PM

My great  great grandfather left my great great grandmother and 5 kids. Went on to have another family, the second family had no idea until my dad started doing family history and contacted them

#6 galba

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:34 PM

My grandfather, a highly-respected businessman had an affair with my mum's best friend and fathered a baby with her in the early 1960s.  She disappeared for 6 months, had the baby adopted and then came back.  My grandmother and mum knew nothing about it.   The secret only came out about 5 years ago after my grandmother died - they are still best friends to this day.  Her friend was only 18, he was 46.  My mum's regret is that she wasn't there to support her friend - we all suspect that he forced her to give up the baby.

#7 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:34 PM

I know of someone who attempted to fake his own death by leaving his clothes and wallet on a beach, but was found a week or so later.  It them came out that he was about to be charged with a very nasty crime.

#8 CountryFeral

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:36 PM

It wasn't 'the worst' and I actually found out before she died but it was just so sad, and explained so much about how she lived her life - but an elderly beloved spinster relative of mine admitted (through tears) that she had had an abortion in the 1930s.

This event shaped the whole rest of her life  and it broke my heart to think that she had felt she had to keep that secret alone for more than 70 years.

#9 bluecardigans

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:37 PM

This would have to be the worst

Nephew of Sir Jimmy Saville disgusted at allegations of sexual abuse

#10 RealityBites

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:38 PM

Paedophilia eg Jimmy Saville would be pretty bad.

Eta Snap DisplayAnemone.

Edited by RealityBites, 24 January 2013 - 05:39 PM.

#11 mum850

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:41 PM

A friend had to clean up her grandfather's house after he died. It turned out that he was  a cross dresser and had all sorts of weird sex equipment and stuff. Not the worst thing to find out by any means, but probably a bit of a shock.

#12 sāta kōrsa

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:43 PM

I'd agree with finding out about the worst of the worst crimes, paedophilia, rape, murder, etc.  Or if I found out they were a secret member of the KKK or similar group.

(Ed to make sense!)

Edited by ++----++, 24 January 2013 - 05:44 PM.

#13 FeralHez

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:44 PM

We found out after he'd passed that my grandfathers cancer was a lot worse than the family knew. Different kind of sad I guess.

#14 FiveAus

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:45 PM

After my husbands grandmother died, he found out she'd been married 13 times.

And after his mother died (which was before I met him), he found out that his step-father (also deceased) wasn't the father to his youngest brother. Apparently the brother knew, but no one else did.

#15 FeralHez

Double post.

Edited by HezzaB, 24 January 2013 - 05:47 PM.

#16 RealityBites

QUOTE (++----++ @ 24/01/2013, 06:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd agree with finding out about the worst of the worst crimes, paedophilia, rape, murder, etc.  Or if I found out they were a secret member of the KKK or similar group.

(Ed to make sense!)

Sorry totally OT but I love your pic!

#17 Guest_3Keiki_*

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:51 PM

My Dad wasn't my biological dad

#18 sāta kōrsa

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

QUOTE (RealityBites @ 24/01/2013, 06:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry totally OT but I love your pic!

Thanks!  I can only dream about being a talented enough artist to capture such a tender moment.

#19 elmo_mum

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:03 PM

not really bad... but weird and horrible!!!

when my cousin was cleaning her g'mothers house after she passed, they found passport pics with horns and goatees on em -

she escaped nazi austria .. so explains a bit...

#20 Feral_Pooks

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

I know a man who, after he died, 6 people came forward to say he had been their abuser. No doubt there were more. He had a bit of a public profile and apparently when he died, he was mentioned on the news/in newspapers and it was triggering for the victims, the poor things saw everyone gushing over what a lovely bloke he was and half a dozen felt compelled to tell the family what he had done, all independently, in case there were more victims including among the family. Turns out, there were victims among the family. Horrible.

I know someone else who found out after his death that a great grandfather "war hero" had never gone to war!

#21 andyk

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:02 PM

Found out on the of his funeral what a scumbag of a person my grandfather was. I knew some of it before but not all and the all was horrific.

#22 katpaws

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:13 PM

I found out that my grandma had been raped by her husband and my mother was the result, as well as finding out how much damage this caused three generations of women and how much my grandma suffered. My mother does not know.

#23 LibertyLady

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

Not me but my ex.

When his Mum died, he found out that his Mum had been married before and that is older brother is his half brother. He could handle the fact his Mum had married before, but that they had different Dad's was a bit much for him.

He was about 32 and his brother about 40 when they found out.

#24 JustBeige

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:32 PM

QUOTE (Dinah_Harris @ 24/01/2013, 06:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This week,  after doing a little family research,  I stumbled across a distant relative who had secretly married another woman and had a secret family that the rest of my family knew nothing about until he died.
It got me thinking about people leading double lives,  and people who have secrets that only come out once they've died.
What do you think would be the worst thing to discover about a loved one upon their death?   Has this ever happened to you?

About  40years ago, a close friend of my mums found out, about a month before her mum died, that she was adopted. She came across some papers when doing a clean up of her mums place.  Unfortunately they had no extra identifying information on them.  A lot of family behaviours all started to make sense when she found these papers.
She spent the month seriously distressed and asking her mum - at least daily - questions about it and her mother with her dying breath told her that the papers were false (they werent) and denied she was adopted.   She never found out any information about herself as her mother changed her name completely and she wasnt able to find any other information.    She was absolutely gutted and there was no other aunts or uncles or cousins left that she could ask.   She also went to her grave never knowing who she was or if she had any siblings.

Just so wrong and so damn sad

Edited by JustBeige, 24 January 2013 - 07:40 PM.

#25 Propaganda

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:34 PM

That they were not who I thought they were, but in a really bad way. Like they were secretly a serial rapist, when I had loved them and thought they were near perfect. I would just be so furious and hurt, but I wouldn't have anyone to direct that anger at.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly caf goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Why couples with daughters are more likely to divorce

Couples with daughters have higher divorce rates than those with boys. A new study reveals why that is the case.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.