Centrelink claims
when you can lodge

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 sarkazm76

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:46 PM

Just was on Centrelink online doing a income estimate update (DH got a new job) and thought while I was there I would start a claim for Paid Parental Leave as it asks you "are you expecting a child before xxxxxx" and a date.... as you can only claim up to 12 weeks before your due date I think.
So the date now is 30th April.

FYI.
So if you're due first week of May like me.... we should be able to lodge claims by end of next week I guess.

Last time I put a fake date in and went through most of the questions to see if it would ask me for employer info as it said your employer had to register online before you did your claim.... but it never asked me for any employer info and when I got far enough it said "you maybe eligible to complete the "claim for a newborn" form instead of this long form" but when I went looking for that other form do you think I could find it anywhere?!  I guess what it would do is take your existing info for income estimate, child care, family tax and then +1 child original.gif
So I emailed them requesting contact and laid out my questions.... still waiting for a reply of course!

So anyway.... it's for reasons such as these I get in early and thought I'd pass on in case it can help someone else biggrin.gif

#2 MrsLexiK

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:18 AM

Thanks for that, I knew it was 12 weeks but wasn't sure when.  I was registered but my CRN number was lost when my iphone went cactus, I might try registering now.

#3 MrsLexiK

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:34 AM

gah I just re did it and got to travel, who would have thought I would need my passport number to fill in the form!!!!! (I justb rought my due date to the 1st of May and they accepted it - only 1 day out and much easier to have done the form at work today while I am quiet)

#4 Beancat

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

Thanks Sarkazm, I am close to 12 weeks to go I think.  Am 25 tomorrow and am having baby at 38 weeks.  Will get onto this asap, thanks for reminding me

#5 yoohooyou

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:55 AM

I read through the crazily long form the other day at work and it looks like if you lodge before the birth you have to re-lodge aspects of it after the birth and then they assess it.

For me, it looked like it was easier to do it after junior arrives and I have all the information, although I could have read it wrong, the paper form had something like 250 questions!

#6 FiveAus

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:33 AM

QUOTE (scutterbug @ 26/01/2013, 09:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I read through the crazily long form the other day at work and it looks like if you lodge before the birth you have to re-lodge aspects of it after the birth and then they assess it.

For me, it looked like it was easier to do it after junior arrives and I have all the information, although I could have read it wrong, the paper form had something like 250 questions!

You don't have to answer them all though. The form doesn't just pertain to you and your circumstances, it's to cover all possibilities (adoption, foster children, change of care etc). And you don't have to "re-lodge" part of it after the baby is born.
The form you're given at the hospital has a lot of the same questions but if you've already answered them, you don't need to answer them again. But you do need to provide the babies details, acknowledge that you're claiming the same payments you nominated in your pre-claim, and sign it.

The easiest way to do it is to do the online claim before the baby is born. Then lodge the hospital form afterwards.

#7 butterflyme

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:12 AM

I'm not in your DIG, but as I lodged mine this week I thought I'd give you some info I found out...

You are going to need your TFN, your DP TFN (if you are in a married/de facto relationship), both passport numbers if you've travelled in the past 10? years, arrival date in country if born o/s (and then you have to go in & prove you are a citizen even though you put in your Aus passport number mad.gif ), income for both of you for 2011-2012 fin year and estimation of 2012-2013 fin year, employer details (if you have worked at the same company for over 12months they HAVE to pay the leave, rather than the govern...) including ABN.   I'm sure there was more!! I spent a good hour filling mine in, and now I have to go to centrelink with 'proof' now as I was born o/s, urgh!  

I received a letter from Centrelink yesterday saying my claim has been assessed & I will need to forward proof of birth within 28 days of child's birth (otherwise payment may be delayed from when I wanted it back paid from).  I think you get some other docs from the hospital, but not sure what.

Good luck!

#8 sarkazm76

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:28 AM

My understanding is that if you don't pre-claim you could be waiting awhile for it to be assessed so you may not get paid as quickly as you want to be.  Plus who wants to spend an hour filling out paperwork when you have a newborn?  

Last time, with DS1, I pre-lodged and all I had to do was go into Centrelink with the paperwrok from the hospital after he was born.  I filled it all out online for the pre-claim and did have to fill in the paper copy again (the one the hopsital give you) which was stupid and annoying but you can pretty much just copy your online claim form anyway.

#9 sarkazm76

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

PS - I never had to provide ID or any other evidence of anything.

#10 Bluemakede

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:39 PM

I was at centrelink yesterday so had asked about this (mostly cause I receive austudy, so wanted to know what the go was with that), but anywho the lady advised me that the easiest thing was to submit online before the birth, after birth you just need to show proof of birth and then they'll complete the process.

#11 Taffyk

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:45 PM

Definitely pre-lodge, much easier!

Also, you get a form in a pack at the hospital - it's essentially double-checking aspects of your original claim.  Most important bit is the last page - which is filled in by your midwife/OB.

#12 FiveAus

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:48 PM

QUOTE (sarkazm76 @ 26/01/2013, 12:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My understanding is that if you don't pre-claim you could be waiting awhile for it to be assessed so you may not get paid as quickly as you want to be.  Plus who wants to spend an hour filling out paperwork when you have a newborn?  

Last time, with DS1, I pre-lodged and all I had to do was go into Centrelink with the paperwrok from the hospital after he was born.  I filled it all out online for the pre-claim and did have to fill in the paper copy again (the one the hopsital give you) which was stupid and annoying but you can pretty much just copy your online claim form anyway.

You should not have had to answer all the same questions again though, unless you didn't read the form properly and just went ahead and did it anyway.
After you've completed your details at the start, and nominated the payments you are claiming, it asks if there have been any changes, then directs you to the baby details, where you fill them in and provide your Medicare number. Then it asks if you've done an online claim and if you have, it directs you to the end of the form to sign it.You don't provide estimates again, or bank details or tax file numbers, or employer details as these would have already been provided in your pre-claim.
The last page will have been completed by the midwife and stamped with the hospital stamp, and this is proof of birth.

#13 Beancat

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:39 AM

Ladies - definitely prelodge!!! I did this process 12 months ago for DD and have to do it again in couple of weeks. Get it sorted now before the nb arrives, you'll have plenty of other stuff to worry about and if Centrelink has any questions you can work it out now rather than delaying your payments

#14 Jaffacakes

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:08 PM

Thanks for this info.... I have made a note on my calendar to investigate once I hit 28 weeks in late-Feb.

#15 Nervy

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:37 PM

Hi Ladies,

Im from the due in June group but I was wondering if any of you knew if it is better to claim paid parental leave or the baby bonus for baby #2, i mean do you forgo the childcare rebate/ benefits and family tax benefits? Is there a calculator to work out what is better? Sorry to jump in!

#16 sarkazm76

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:12 PM

The centrelink websit has a calculator but it's not really that good (unless they've changed it at some point) as it doesn't take all aspects into account.  When PPL first started in 2011 I used a calculator made by someone else and got the link from EB... not sure if it's still available or where to look though, sorry.

#17 MrsLexiK

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:19 PM

QUOTE (butterflyme @ 26/01/2013, 11:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not in your DIG, but as I lodged mine this week I thought I'd give you some info I found out...

You are going to need your TFN, your DP TFN (if you are in a married/de facto relationship), both passport numbers if you've travelled in the past 10? years, arrival date in country if born o/s (and then you have to go in & prove you are a citizen even though you put in your Aus passport number mad.gif ), income for both of you for 2011-2012 fin year and estimation of 2012-2013 fin year, employer details (if you have worked at the same company for over 12months they HAVE to pay the leave, rather than the govern...) including ABN.   I'm sure there was more!! I spent a good hour filling mine in, and now I have to go to centrelink with 'proof' now as I was born o/s, urgh!  

I received a letter from Centrelink yesterday saying my claim has been assessed & I will need to forward proof of birth within 28 days of child's birth (otherwise payment may be delayed from when I wanted it back paid from).  I think you get some other docs from the hospital, but not sure what.

Good luck!

I only needed my passport number because I had travelled in the last 3 years (i think it was because i stayed out for 6 weeks plus but not 100 per cent sure) Didn't need my DH's passport or TFN at all. It doesn't matter how much DH earns with PPL though, I think I filled in his estimate but I don't think that was in the PPL claim. The ABN was to verify my work though.

#18 sarkazm76

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:21 PM

QUOTE (FiveAus @ 26/01/2013, 08:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You should not have had to answer all the same questions again though, unless you didn't read the form properly and just went ahead and did it anyway.
After you've completed your details at the start, and nominated the payments you are claiming, it asks if there have been any changes, then directs you to the baby details, where you fill them in and provide your Medicare number. Then it asks if you've done an online claim and if you have, it directs you to the end of the form to sign it.You don't provide estimates again, or bank details or tax file numbers, or employer details as these would have already been provided in your pre-claim.
The last page will have been completed by the midwife and stamped with the hospital stamp, and this is proof of birth.

Yes, thanks, it was 2 years ago - I don't remember exactly how much of the form I did or did not complete but I know at least part of it was just the same info I'd already supplied.  That was what I meant.  I can assure you I know how to read and complete forms biggrin.gif
The form may not even be the same now.

#19 Beancat

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:27 AM

QUOTE (Jaffacakes @ 27/01/2013, 06:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for this info.... I have made a note on my calendar to investigate once I hit 28 weeks in late-Feb.

Hi Nervy, Google Centrelink Estimator and you'll get a link to their general estimator, one of the options in the first question is to do this comparison.  Every case is differnet so its hard to tell - alot depends on your partners and your income and when you plan to return to work

BB is not taxed and my understanding is you are still entitled to both FTB A and B.  PPL forms part of your taxable income for the year and you cannot get FTB B whilst receiving it and it will also impact upon your eligibility for FTB A as it is counted as income.  Unfortuntately I have no choice with no 3 as I have not returned to work between 2 and 3 as they are so close together

#20 Moo point

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:36 AM

Can I make a suggestion - keep a copy (scan or paper) of the newborn paperwork form you get from the hospital before handing over to Centrelink. They scan and shred this document - unfortunately for us they didn't scan the last 2 pages, the last one of which is the proof of birth form the hospital completes!! Took us over a week to fix it all up, and it was only because DH had scanned and kept the last page we were able to submit it without having to get the hospital to re-do it all over again.

#21 Nervy

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:19 PM

Thank you so much due in May ladies! I'm due June 1 but went early with #1 so heres hoping we will get a May birthdate!

#22 Jenganoosh

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:29 PM

I lodged mine this morning! Wow, makes #2 feel even more oh-so-real ohmy.gif 13-wks to go this Wed til CS on the 1st May eeek yayyy!

#23 Blossom73

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

I just did the online estimator and with PPL we come out 1640 ahead of baby bonus. Need to make sure I have my sums right on future earnings.

#24 sarkazm76

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:50 PM

I found a proper calculator!!  Yay!  I think this is the one I used last time.

http://www.investmentpropertycalculator.co...calculator.html

#25 Gixxie

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

Nervy  If your bub is born from 1 July, go Paid parental leave as Baby bonus is reduced to 3 K instead of 5K for baby #2 onwards.

There are a couple of things to be careful of with paid parental leave.. original.gif

1. You cannot claim FTB while on PPL.

2. We are having our babies in the 12-13 financial year, so new financial year is only a month after bub is born... or there abouts. with FTB u get a extra $300 supplement when u lodge your tax. You cant get this if your on PPL as far as im aware as your not eligble for ftb while being paid PPL.

3. Paid parental leave is TAXED! baby bonus is NOT Taxed!
Anyone who is a high income earner, you may want to work out your sums... but for me... i actually am better off with Baby bonus then PPL because i get the FTB supplement, can claim FTB immedialtey.. this works out to be about $200 better.   If your taxed 30 c in the dollar rate then your going to be close call on which to claim.  But anyone earning above 80K you should be working out the figures. Do not use centrelink site because it gives me im better off on PPL, but it does not take into consideration what tax u pay and your tax rate!

If u were having bub in next finanacial year, then PPL would be better off, but due to being so close to end of financaial year for me personally baby bonus i will be about $300 better off.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Teaching our son to say no to violence against women

Today, on White Ribbon Day - and every other day - we're teaching our son to say no to violence against women.

Mothers told to breastfeed in 'spacious' toilet

If there is one thing the owners of Tillings Cafe can be certain of, it is that the eatery won't win the award for Britain's best baby-friendly coffee shop any time soon.

Mother gives name to son dumped down drain

A woman who admitted to dumping her newborn baby down a Sydney drain has reportedly been allowed to give him a name.

Taking small steps to reduce stress

Are you feeling used up by life's stress, family problems and a demanding job you can't turn off? Many people are way beyond work-life exhaustion. They are functioning as robots.

Bad news: we're running out of chocolate

The world's biggest chocolate-maker says we're running out of chocolate.

Born at 23 weeks, 'Chopstick Baby' survives first week

A baby who was born at 23 weeks has survived her first week of life outside the womb.

Manic stations: the nesting instinct in pregnancy

It might sound like temporary insanity, but almost obsessive nesting as you near your due date isn’t uncommon – even if you’re not usually a particularly clean person.

How a baby can survive alone for days on end

The baby found abandoned in a Sydney drain may have been alone for up to six days without being fed, leaving many asking how he could have survived.

When it begins to look a lot like Christmas

A child's excitement at Christmas time is a beautiful thing, but one dad ponders whether his toddler daughter is getting into the festive mood a bit too soon.

Hospital lets dads the experience some of the pain of childbirth

A new experience is radically altering men's views of childbirth.

Italian doctors questioned over formula bribes

Italian police have placed 12 doctors under house arrest on suspicion of promoting baby milk formula over breastfeeding.

Heartwarming prank gives single mum the house she was hired to clean

Cara Simmons arrived at work to clean a large and beautiful house in time for a party planned for that evening. It was soon hers.

Those special moments of sibling bonding

Every now and then your child does or says something that is truly memorable.

Why we should stop telling new parents to 'enjoy every moment'

A few weeks ago, some dear friends of mine had their first baby. As the proud dad texted me a picture I had to fight the natural instinct to say “Enjoy every moment!”

Baby monitor footage posted online

Footage of Australian babies and children sleeping in their bedrooms are among the images on a Russian site showing live feeds from thousands of homes and businesses around the world.

Did this new dad really hit on his wife's midwife?

Was there really a man who was actually there by his wife’s side as she laboured and gave birth to his child, all while he was making what he perceived to be meaningful eye contact with a midwife?

Keep calm and ignore the Tantrum Trolls

Tantrum Trolls are a small but growing species of predatory bottom-feeders who delight in picking on parents at their most vulnerable.

It's okay to never 'get over' the death of a loved one

The death of children, siblings, and parents has long term impacts on the rest of our lives.

What Mark Latham needs to know about depression and motherhood

Love has nothing to do with mental illness. But love may drive a mother to do something about it.

'We're just trying to keep our child alive': life with FPIES

We have a beautiful seven-month-old son, and his allergy rules our life.

Transgender dad breastfeeds his babies

A transgender man who breastfed his first baby - despite having his breasts removed as part of his transformation from female to male - has now had a second child.

Couple face $1 million medical bill and bankruptcy after babymoon birth

A Canadian couple were slammed with a million dollar medical bill after their daughter was prematurely during their babymoon.

Cigarettes, junk food dominate supermarket sales growth

One in every five dollars spent at supermarkets goes on cigarettes or junk food, according to industry data.

Teacher under fire for breastfeeding in class

There is no doubt mums have a right to continue breastfeeding after they have returned to work, but one teacher in the US has taken it to the extreme.

Win a family pass to Disney Live!

We have 4 family passes to give away to see Disney Live! presents Three Classic Fairy Tales, touring Australia this December/January.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Join PADDINGTON on the red carpet!

To celebrate the release of PADDINGTON, we are giving five lucky winners the chance to win a family pass to the exclusive Australian Premiere in Sydney on December 7!

The tragedy of losing a favourite teddy bear

We were green and uninitiated, perhaps a little naïve when it came to the favourite toy responsibility.

Video: Baby sniffs beardless dad to make sure it's him

She looks him up and down and then touches his chin, but baby Lindsey still isn't sure this clean-shaven man is her dad.

It's possible to workout while pregnant

Medical experts say intense fitness routines can be done safely during pregnancy - if the mums-to-be follow some guidelines.

What parents really want for their kids

Are our hopes, dreams and expectations for our children what they really need?

'I had a feeling something was seriously wrong'

Before even giving birth, Katie Myers' maternal instincts warned her something was wrong with her baby.

When your pregnancy causes a relationship rift

Some dads-to-be don't miss a beat when their partner is pregnant; others struggle with a range of issues and can become withdrawn, right when their support is needed most.

Couple uses group photo trick to announce pregnancy to loved ones

Katharine and Kris Camilli devised a clever trick to immortalise their family and friends' reactions to their exciting pregnancy news.

Why Tracey Spicer has given up make-up

"After 30 years on television, I had become what I despised: a painted doll who spent an hour a day and close to $200 a week putting on a mask."

Knowing you are one of the lucky ones

I am secure, confident and strong, but the responsibility of protecting my children can almost bring me undone.

Why I am so emotional now I have kids?

There are so many ways in which parenthood changes us as women, but one of the most noticeable, for me, has been the changing state of my emotions.

Baby survives despite sharing womb with 'foreign body'

Baby Maia was conceived against the odds, only to find she was sharing a womb with an ominous "foreign body".

Video: Baby shows dog how to jump - or vice versa

They say dog is man's best friend, but this playful pooch seems to have chosen a jumping baby as her number one buddy.

10 ways to soothe a crying baby

New paernts can get frustrated when their newborn gets fussy and can't settle down. When you're feeling overwhelmed, try some of these simple tips to help soothe your baby.

20 baby names that are becoming more popular every year

The data-lovers at nameberry.com have been at it again – this time, they’ve discovered the names that are continually rising up the ranks, ready to take out some top spots in the next few years.

10 great meals to make for new parents

Ideally, you want to give food that isn’t expensive to make, isn't too difficult to create, and freezes well; stews, bakes, soups and pasta sauces are perfect.

Weird pregnancy products

Some pregnancy products come to market and are just awesome. Others just leave you scratching your head.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

Christa Engles was changing her baby's nappy when tragedy struck.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.