Travelling to the US with 14 month old
-no bassinets on Virgin Australia?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 hernette

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:20 AM

Flying Melbourne to LA then Chicago and Cleveland in May. Was very happy to read that the weight limit for bassinets on international flights was 18 kg as my little girl will be nowhere near that by May. Unfortunately, my travel agent told me yesterday that there are no bassinets on the plane we'll be flying (Boeing 777-300) doesn't have bassinets. Find it hard to believe that they would use a plane for such a long haul flight that has no bassinets, but there we are. We are booked in aisle and window seat of a row of 3 so hopefully we'll have a spare seat, but otherwise DH and I will have to take turns holding her for 15 hours!!! Anyone have any experience of this?  Also would appreciate any tips on doing long haul flights with a baby.

Thanks in advance.

#2 tiggy2

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:44 AM

I've done regular overseas travel with small kids and never used a bassinet yet, I've booked one for the first time for our US trip this year. I haven't found it a problem, my kids have all liked sleeping on me anyway.
Going to the toilet and meals are a pain though as the tray can't really come down when you have a toddler asleep on you.

If you can get a front row seat it's much easier to get out to go to the toilet.

Take it in turns to eat, put the two meals on top of each other, first person eats, moves their tray to the bottom, second perso. Eats off that tray too if tht makes sense.
Make a toilet stop for both of you just before your hold looks likely to fall asleep.
I found it easiest being in the window seat with the child, you can use the wall to lean against with pillows.
Take an extra inflatable pillow and sarong for blanket.
It won't be comfortable but it's doable.

#3 handsfull

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:47 AM

Ring Virgin Australia and have a chat to them.  I cannot believe they don't have bassinet facility on board.  Just about all airlines long haul cater for them.

I do know when my family was travelling to Las Vegas via Bris - LA the other year back with an 11 month old, that it was first in first served at the check-in counter and if a much younger baby checked in they could still lose their seats.  

So I'd be calling and checking them out.

#4 Bluenomi

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:55 AM

I've flown on a Virgin AUs 777 and DD was in a bassinet. The travel agent booked us one and confirmed it the day before flight and we got one both ways.

#5 Pop-to-the-shops

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:56 AM

http://www.virginaustralia.com/au/en/plan/...stance/infants/

I read this as available on all international flights, but can't be booked, just requested.

No bassinet would be a bit annoying, would probably make me change airlines if they didn't have any on offer, but i guess they are never guaranteed anyway.

Edited by Akatara, 24 January 2013 - 09:05 AM.

#6 MrsLexiK

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:14 AM

It could be that it is already allocated? I think they prefer to give them to the youngest of babies, and if there is a baby under 6 months already flying this baby will have the preference.  (This is my understanding anyway so I could be wrong)

#7 joy6328

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:14 AM

I've done over 40 flights with my DD - now 21m - and never once in a bassinette.

I wouldn't rely on your TA as a source of info - just the make of the plane doesn't guarantee there will / wont be a basinette. Call Virgin and put in a request for one. Keep in mind they are given away on an age basis - so the youngest babies will get them first.

#8 mandala

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:23 PM

Looking at www.seatguru.com, there are bassinets on the Virgin Boeing 777. I would call and request the bassinet just in case.

However, having flown a number of times with our 13 month old, I wouldn't necessarily have my heart set on using the bassinet. At 9 months, DS would just try to stand up in the bassinet, and it was pretty squeezy lengthways for a pretty small baby. For our trans-Pacific flight in two months, we're actually planning not to get a bassinet for him and have requested non-bulkhead seats. For us, being able to store all the baby stuff under the seats in front of us and being able to lift up the armrests between seats is worth more than the extra leg room or potential bassinet.

Having said that, we're also booking a dedicated seat for DS as United offer a cheaper 'reserved seat for infant' fare. It was just so hard keeping out of our neighbour's hair (literally) when we flew with him at 12 months that I can't face it for 15 hours.

#9 Expelliarmus

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:30 PM

They really are too big for a basinette at that age. I flew with DD1 when she was 12 months old and well under the weight limit but she didn't fit at all. I didn't even bother using it after the first hour or so. I don't think they are much use at all once the baby can sit unaided, because they just sit up and try to lean out.

#10 Fabulous

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:53 PM

Yeah you can't really rely on the basinnette. We travelled to the USA on Virgin when my DS was the same age. He basically fitted in it but kept on waking himself up every time his arms and legs hit the sides. On the way back we had a bassinette but there was so much turbulence that we gave up after having to take him in and out of the bassinette every time the seatbelt light came on.

The bassinettes can only be requested and are not confirmed until you actually check-in.

Edited by Fabulous, 25 January 2013 - 07:56 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Special Ticket Offer, Save $8!

The Essential Baby & Toddler Show is back this April! Save $8 off the door price for a limited time only!

Finding baby name inspiration in unusual places

Sometimes the greatest baby name ideas come from the most unexpected places, as these EB members show.

The case for inducing at 37 weeks

While we often think of pregnancy as a 40 week affair, experts agree that 37 weeks is actually “full term". So is there an argument for inducing all births at 37 weeks?

Does controlled crying really work?

Controlled-crying techniques may help some babies sleep through the night, but for many exhausted new parents, it's just a recipe for more tears all round.

How I taught my infant to use a toilet

As people become more aware of these benefits, I hope more parents will practice this method, so we can cut down on nappies and improve baby bonding.

'I thought it was impossible': Emily Symons pregnant at 45

Aussie actress Emily Symons has announced she is pregnant with her first baby.

Shallow water blackout kills fit, healthy dad

A little girl will grow up without her father after the fit and healthy 34-year-old passed away while doing something he had practised his whole life.

Afternoon naps may be bad for toddlers' sleep

You could be doing yourself a disservice by encouraging your toddler to have an afternoon nap, according to new research.

Best gifts for newborns, new mums and christenings

We've compiled a guide to some of the most popular presents for newborns and new mums, and for christenings and naming days.

Jaime King to be a mum again

Actress Jaime King is pregnant with her second child, giving 16-month-old James a sibling.

Nannies should receive government funding

The Abbott government should extend funding to nannies, and direct childcare payments to low and middle income families, a landmark study on childcare has found. 

Common skin irritations in newborns (and how to treat them)

As many as one in two newborn babies suffer from skin irritations in their first few weeks. So what are the most common rashes and irritations to look out for?

10 wall decals for the nursery or playroom

Wall decals are the answer to creating a beautiful nursery or children's space without lifting a paint brush, a spirit level or even a hammer.

Preschooler walks 2.4km home alone

Three-year-old Cain Trainor headed off home after his first day at a new preschool without telling anyone.

Video: Why mums get nothing done

In spite of being in an almost constant state of motion while looking after the kids and trying to keep things together at home, it can seem as though parents have managed to get nothing on the to-do list done by the end of the day.

The middle name game

The middle name is no longer an afterthought, and parents' inspiration comes from many places.

Have a baby or your money back - but there's a catch

A new IVF scheme offers couples the chance to fall pregnant and give birth - or get their money back. But there's more to it than you might think.

A rare glimpse inside the womb

A baby born still inside the amniotic sac gave US doctors a rare glimpse at life inside the womb.

Battered mum forced to write to her attacker ex in jail

Three years ago Jason Hughes viciously attacked his ex-partner. Now she has to write to him three times a year.

Woman pleads not guilty to ultrasound scam

A West Australian woman will fight allegations that she scammed expectant mums by selling them fake ultrasound pictures of babies.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Brain damaged mum receives compensation

A Sydney mother who suffered brain damage when she was hit by a car while pushing her newborn baby in a pram has reached a confidential out-of-court settlement with the driver's insurance company.

Indigenous midwives break down the barriers

A culturally sensitive midwifery service has gained the trust and respect of Aboriginal women.

The Katering Show's next big delivery

Most mums-to-be plan to take things easy and perhaps have a little break from work as the birth of their baby draws near. Not Kate McCartney.

53 creative pregnancy announcements

Announcing that you're expecting can be a time to express your creativity, sense of humour and imagination. Check out how other parents and parents-to-be have broken the news to friends and family.

Why I have mixed feelings about Cindy Crawford's leaked photo

Last week an un-retouched photo of model Cindy Crawford surfaced, showing the 48-year-old mother-of -two posing in underwear.

How to create a Peppa Pig pancake

Thought your toddler could not love pancakes any more than they already do? How about if the breakfast treat came in the shape of every two-year-old's favourite cartoon character?

'It's a little life, not a little loss': pregnancy after miscarriage

I thought I was never going to be able to have a successful pregnancy. I decided that I wasn't going to form an emotional attachment with this baby.

Bonds Baby Search 2015: what you need to know

February 18 marks the start of one of the most prolific annual baby competitions in Australia: the Bonds Baby Search. And this year is going to be more special than ever.

Who will manage your Facebook account when you're gone?

This is not something that people like to talk about, but Facebook has announced that it will grant users more control over what happens to their pages after they die.

Struggling mum of four wins $188 million

Mother of four Marie Holmes was financially struggling after quitting her jobs at Walmart and McDonald's in order to care for her children.

Pregnant obese women a 'relatively new problem', coroner hears

A first-time mother whose daughter died hours after her frightening birth insists she was never told of the risks of being obese and pregnant.

'I'm angry as hell': the story behind mum's passionate vaccination plea

She has labelled parents who do not vaccinate their children "misinformed imbeciles" - and for that, she makes no apologies.

IKEA hacks for the nursery and kids' rooms

Are you one of those that know the whole IKEA catalogue by heart? Love their stuff but want to personalise it? Here's some inspiration to help you realise the potential of IKEA furniture and fittings.

8 different kinds of tantrums

I never thought I’d say this, but for a brief moment last week, Kim Kardashian and I had something in common: both our kids had public tantrums.

Polycystic ovary syndrome: symptoms, treatment and your fertility

Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is the most common female hormonal condition, affecting roughly one in 12 Australian women.

What's the best position for giving birth?

If doing it on your back is out, what's the best position for labour and birth?

Wife forgives snake catcher husband for car surprise

With Valentine's Day coming up, Nat Gilbert could be forgiven for thinking her husband might be planning a surprise for her.

Kids who meet milestones at their own pace

We usually only hear the success stories: tales of the two-year-old who’s talking, running and completely toilet trained. But other stories need to be told too.

Ruby shines as Bonds Baby

Sarah Kiss has a word of advice for proud mums and dads who are keen to enter their babies in this year's Bonds Baby Search Competition - just have fun.

Why dads should go to sleep school

If your family needs to go to sleep school, go with them. You are part of that family and you are part of the solution.

36 baby names inspired by food and drinks

A French court may have ruled out Nutella as a baby name, but that doesn't have to stop you from taking inspiration from the supermarket (or bottle shop). See what parents in the US have chosen for their delicious little ones.

Clever breastfeeding products

Check out this range of products designed to help make your breastfeeding journey more enjoyable, manageable and convenient.

Win a KitchenAid Mixer

Let's celebrate 300,000 fans on Facebook

To celebrate, and to thank our amazing fans, we?re giving away a KitchenAid Artisan Tilt-Head Stand Mixer.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.