The Couch-to-5K ® Running Plan

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 Zephie Chugger

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:38 AM

Has anyone used this plan?

Thoughts?

As a over weight lady hoping to shift a few kgs and get fitter would you recommend running?

#2 Georgie83

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:44 AM

I am in week two, and have found it pretty good so far! I haven't done any running for about 2 years, so I liked the way it eases you into it.

It's so easy, just put on your music and it tells you when to sart running, and when you're half way so you know to turn around!

You only start running for 60 seconds at a time, so if your Dr says it's OK for you to jog, it's free so you might as well give it a go!

#3 ~polly~

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:48 AM

Do it!  Ive been using and its great.  Ive never been a runner and Ijm finding it easy to progress up the stages.

#4 FeralSchnitzel

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:49 AM

I did this 2 years ago, and it was great. I went from not being able to jog around the block to running 10kms at a good pace inside 12 weeks. BUT, there was a big downside. I should have taken it MUCH slower, because I ended up rupturing a disc in my back from the repetitive pounding . I just got such a high from achieving something I never thought I could do, that I wanted to do it more, and more, and go further and further. I loved the changes in my body and health, and ignored the warning signs my body was giving me.

Two years later my back is almost better, thanks to heaps of intensive pilates, guided by a physio, and I may even try running again. BUT, I really think there is more merit in triathlon type training than running, because you will have a much lower chance of injury than with just running alone - especially if you are carrying extra weight. For what it is worth, I didn't do C25K to lose weight - I was 58kg and 162cm tall, and had previously had no injuries - I did it for fitness.

#5 ChunkyChook

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:50 AM

LOVED IT! I was amazed that I could actually run/jog for longer than 60 seconds as I strugled at the beginning. Was well worth it.
I am going to do it again when I have the time to commit to it and hopefully keep with it after I finish.

#6 Pompol

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:55 AM

I've done it to regain fitness after injury/babies a few times. Love it. As a PP has suggested, absolutely stick to the schedule though. Building up to 5ks in 9 weeks is challenging enough to your body, if not cardio wise for you it will be on your muscles/joints, so even if you're a bit addictive and get super enthused and want to do more than prescribed, don't ! Or cross train instead, ie no running, do something else.

#7 emma_jean

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:52 AM

I tried it before, and ended up with shin splints. I think I'll try it again when I am less overweight.

#8 Chief Pancake Make

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:58 AM

I did it just to prove I could.  I hadnt run more than 50m since I was a child cos I hate running.   In 7 weeks I got to 5ks and proved I could,I also proved I still hate running.

#9 MegzG

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:05 AM

i'm doing it now, i'm up to w8d2 and it has taken me alot longer than 8 weeks as i'm doing it at 4am before work which is a struggle to get up, but trying to do it 2-3 times a week
i'm so proud of myself, i have attempted it a few times before and never got past about w4, but i'm now up to 28 minutes running.
i'm slower than the time/distance recommendations but last run i did about 3.9km in the 28 minutes so will take me a bit longer than 30 minutes to do the 5km but hopefully i will get it if i keep going.

#10 DandS

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:42 AM

Do it! I did the C25K about 18 months ago (started it to try lose 5kg of weight that had crept on - I was still in healthy weight range, just not happy with weight), and I loved it (and lost about 12kg in the process!). I stuck to the program and felt such a sense of achievement each week when I was able to complete it.

I really love running now, and since completing it have been in several 5 and 10km fun runs, completed my first half marathon in October, and am now training for my second half in April.

Edited by DandS, 24 January 2013 - 10:43 AM.

#11 emma_jean

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:49 AM

Can I ask - those who have done it successfully - how much extra weight were you carrying at the time?

#12 MsDemeanor

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:48 AM

I have just finished week four  - Emma Jean this is the running I do! I am at least 25-30 kgs overweight.

I love it!

#13 MsDemeanor

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:49 AM

I run on an oval Emma, maybe try that if you got splints from running on the road?

#14 emma_jean

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

Yeah I was running on the road so might try the oval, thanks original.gif

#15 Canberra Chick

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:01 PM

I did it and it was great. It really kick started weight loss and I did two fun runs late last year. I still run, but find for time and my 'groove' 4 km in 20 minutes suits me better nowadays, so I do 4km three times a week.

I was carrying an extra 10kg when I started. I had been doing sport before, but nothing that required me to run long distances.

#16 Libertine

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:09 PM

I'm doing it just now. Did week 5, day 1 this morning. I started from zero fitness and am about 6-9kg over my happy weight.

I think it's excellent. I actually look forward to going out and doing it.

IMO i think it really ramped up a notch in week 4 and 5. On Saturday I have to run for 8 minutes!!! Saying that I have completed every run so far so no reason to think I can't do it lol.

Go for it OP! Running is such an excellent way to burn calories and it makes you feel GOOD.

#17 Zephie Chugger

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:09 PM

Thanks ladies, I think I'll give it a go when school goes back and will have a little bit of time.

#18 Moo point

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

Just adding I did it about 4 years ago. Have always hated running, and hadn't run in about 17 years (since they forced us to do it at school). I started in January and did the City 2 Surf in August with a friend of mine, 14km in just under 2 hours. I was pretty stoked original.gif

I can't remember weight, I think I was about 94kg (about 20kg over my ideal for my height/frame), and got down to around 82kg. I definitely lost a couple of dress sizes and gained some muscle, too. I used to put music on my iPod that fit within the 30 min program so I could run to my own music, then once I got past the last week I just chose whatever music got me in the mood.

I am back around 85kg, have a 7 month old DS, and am thinking of doing this again once my body has healed properly (my knees, back and feet are giving me a bit of grief, not to mention the old pelvic floor).

Best of luck!

#19 *Lib*

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:15 PM

I did week 1, then moved onto week 2, struggled a bit with week 2, (I am seriously unfit) so I am back on week 1. I feel so good when I have finished. I run at the gym, on a treadmill, and I have tunes in the background.

#20 monet

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:33 PM

I did it last year, for fitness though not weight loss.  I hadn't run properly since high school...and I'm 48 now...so was fairly skeptical but I found the program reasonably easy to complete.  I have done a few 5km fun runs since and aiming for a half marathon this year.  I am in Singapore so found the heat one of the hardest things to deal with.

Good luck with it!

#21 Leggy

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:41 PM

Especially if you're overweight and not been doing much exercise, you should start out walking for 30 minutes a few times a week - I think they recommend for a month - before starting C25K. Also, if like me you try it a couple of times and have to keep stopping due to knee injury, despite following the program and not skipping ahead, get your hips checked - it turned out that my weak hip muscles were requiring my knees to do too much work, so they got very unhappy with me. I'm in the process of fixing that up now so maybe this will be the year that I will *finally* get to 5km!

Like some PPs I never imagined that I could run, let alone enjoy it. It's the most amazingly good feeling to find out that actually you can. That's probably worth more than any weight loss.

#22 minxy07

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:06 PM

You can also try an app called ease into 5. Much the same except it uses the music from your iPod/iPhone and then just drops in when you start and stop.

#23 Feral-Lausii

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:19 PM

I'm doing it. I still have another 30 kilos to lose to be in a healthy weight range. I started exercising slowly for two or so months. Got my fitness up a little. Have been repeating days here and there, and I also use it as a HIIT when on the x trainer. I'm currently at week 5, and have been repeating it for two weeks now. lol Time to stop freaking out and go to week 6.

#24 the wudges

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:25 PM

I did it last year and loved it! I was about 10kg overweight when I started and lost 12kg in total (combined with the 12WBT program).

Week 5 Day 3 is a real milestone, but once you do it you will never look back original.gif

#25 9ferals

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:31 PM

Love it!
It got me off the couch and into running 2 years ago, and I'm still running now.  Including races - 10k, 14k and half marathon last year.

But, start slow.  Really slow.  Don't worry if you can't do all the running intervals, do what you can and walk the rest.
And repeat weeks if you need to.
If you are overweight and unfit (like I was when I started) then you need to be cautious. I've had issues with my knees, hips and ankle since I started running, but a great physio has helped me get over those.
Make sure you have good shoes and a good bra - everything else is optional.

Enjoy!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sonia Kruger speaks of baby joy

Celebrity mum-to-be Sonia Kruger has spoken candidly about using donor eggs and IVF to fall pregnant at age 48.

Dressing to not impress: life through the eyes of a three-year-old

When it comes to getting dressed, my three-year-old has only one criterion: ?I don?t want to look beautiful.? And now I've worked out why.

Special nappies made with love for angel babies

Angel Baby Nappies make and provide tiny bereavement cloth nappies for pre-term stillborn babies and premature babies who pass away in the NICU.

Inside the brain of a tantruming toddler

What's going on in your child's mind in the lead-up to a tantrum? And what?s the best way to respond?

5 secrets to a long-lasting relationship

When it comes to keeping your relationship strong, it?s what you do - and not what you want - that really matters.

When 'furbabies' meet real babies

I am obsessed with my dogs, and can't imagine loving them any less once my baby arrives. But that doesn't stop everyone from telling me I will.

The least popular baby names of 2013

Looking for a baby name that?s nowhere near the top 10 ? or even the top 1000? Try the bottom five.

'I was so sleep deprived I crashed my car'

There are no laws regulating driving while tired, but statistics show that driver fatigue is one of the top three contributors to the road toll.

Why are there so few sexy maternity bras?

Rather than feeling ashamed of their post-baby bodies, women should be free to buy lingerie that makes them look attractive and pretty - no matter what stage of life they're in.

Toddler Alliyah one step closer to first trip home

She has lived the first 14 months of her life in a hospital intensive care unit, but Alliyah Broadby's parents hope to finally take their little girl home with them.

'Put people before IVF profits': IVF pioneer Alan Trounson

IVF could be done for hundreds of dollars in Australia instead of $8500 if clinics stopped charging what ''the market will handle'', a pioneer of the technology says.

Expectant parents urged to swap the pub for bub

Nearly one in five women drink while pregnant, but a current campaign is trying to drive down that unhealthy statistic.

Nutella supplies threatened by bad weather

There's bad news for fans of Nutella, the gooey, chocolatey hazelnut spread.

The cost of growing your own vegies

Does it make financial sense to grow your own veggies, or are you better off ordering produce from the local food co-op?

Breastfeeding mums less likely to suffer from PND, but all need support

A new study has shown the a complex relationship between a mother?s intention to breastfeed, her ability to do so, and postnatal depression.

The #loveyourlines Instagram account taking on body issues

A new Instagram account, LoveYourLines, has put the call out for to change the way we view stretch marks.

Mum gets diploma 51 years after being thrown out of school over pregnancy

Sandra Lantz was about six months pregnant and four months from graduation when she was forced to leave high school. Now, more than half a century later, she has finally graduated.

The lowdown on male midwives

How would you feel about having a male midwife assist your baby's birth? For a growing number of mums, the idea is a reality - and the experts all agree that it's something that should be encouraged.

Bomb threat at daycare centre

Worried parents took to social media yesterday after their children's daycare was evacuated due to a bomb threat.

Unusual celebrity baby names

Celebrities love to use their imaginations when it comes to naming their kids! Here's a gallery of some of the most memorable monikers in show biz families.

5 fears I've overcome since becoming a mum

Motherhood has a way of putting any phobias you had pre-parenthood into perspective: you either realise they?re a pointless waste of energy or they simply vanish in a sleep-deprived haze.

Mums review the Dymples range from Big W

The Big W Dymples range offers parents a vast selection of quality products to keep their little ones happy and healthy. We asked the Real Mums Test Drive team to review some items - here's what they said.

Recall: Another cot deemed unsafe

Parents are being warned to check their baby's cot is not one of those which have been recalled in recent weeks due to safety concerns.

The truth about breastfeeding and weightloss

Celebrities often state that their post-baby weight loss is down to breastfeeding, and breastfeeding alone. But that's not the reality for all women.

10 weird things little kids do

Most kids have their own personal brand of oddity. It's usually nothing to worry about, but every now and again you might find yourself scratching your head and asking, ?Really? Is that really a thing??

The app that helps detect signs of autism

Parents can assess their children's progress at critical developmental stages, thanks to this new app.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

Mum gives birth at school

She went to a doctor complaining of stomach pains, then had an unexpected operation to remove a decades-old fetus.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.