The Couch-to-5K ® Running Plan

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 Zephie Chugger

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:38 AM

Has anyone used this plan?

Thoughts?

As a over weight lady hoping to shift a few kgs and get fitter would you recommend running?

#2 Georgie83

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:44 AM

I am in week two, and have found it pretty good so far! I haven't done any running for about 2 years, so I liked the way it eases you into it.

It's so easy, just put on your music and it tells you when to sart running, and when you're half way so you know to turn around!

You only start running for 60 seconds at a time, so if your Dr says it's OK for you to jog, it's free so you might as well give it a go!

#3 ~polly~

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:48 AM

Do it!  Ive been using and its great.  Ive never been a runner and Ijm finding it easy to progress up the stages.

#4 Crap Napper

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:49 AM

I did this 2 years ago, and it was great. I went from not being able to jog around the block to running 10kms at a good pace inside 12 weeks. BUT, there was a big downside. I should have taken it MUCH slower, because I ended up rupturing a disc in my back from the repetitive pounding . I just got such a high from achieving something I never thought I could do, that I wanted to do it more, and more, and go further and further. I loved the changes in my body and health, and ignored the warning signs my body was giving me.

Two years later my back is almost better, thanks to heaps of intensive pilates, guided by a physio, and I may even try running again. BUT, I really think there is more merit in triathlon type training than running, because you will have a much lower chance of injury than with just running alone - especially if you are carrying extra weight. For what it is worth, I didn't do C25K to lose weight - I was 58kg and 162cm tall, and had previously had no injuries - I did it for fitness.

#5 ChunkyChook

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:50 AM

LOVED IT! I was amazed that I could actually run/jog for longer than 60 seconds as I strugled at the beginning. Was well worth it.
I am going to do it again when I have the time to commit to it and hopefully keep with it after I finish.

#6 Pompol

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:55 AM

I've done it to regain fitness after injury/babies a few times. Love it. As a PP has suggested, absolutely stick to the schedule though. Building up to 5ks in 9 weeks is challenging enough to your body, if not cardio wise for you it will be on your muscles/joints, so even if you're a bit addictive and get super enthused and want to do more than prescribed, don't ! Or cross train instead, ie no running, do something else.

#7 emma_jean

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:52 AM

I tried it before, and ended up with shin splints. I think I'll try it again when I am less overweight.

#8 Chief Pancake Make

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:58 AM

I did it just to prove I could.  I hadnt run more than 50m since I was a child cos I hate running.   In 7 weeks I got to 5ks and proved I could,I also proved I still hate running.

#9 MegzG

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:05 AM

i'm doing it now, i'm up to w8d2 and it has taken me alot longer than 8 weeks as i'm doing it at 4am before work which is a struggle to get up, but trying to do it 2-3 times a week
i'm so proud of myself, i have attempted it a few times before and never got past about w4, but i'm now up to 28 minutes running.
i'm slower than the time/distance recommendations but last run i did about 3.9km in the 28 minutes so will take me a bit longer than 30 minutes to do the 5km but hopefully i will get it if i keep going.

#10 DandS

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:42 AM

Do it! I did the C25K about 18 months ago (started it to try lose 5kg of weight that had crept on - I was still in healthy weight range, just not happy with weight), and I loved it (and lost about 12kg in the process!). I stuck to the program and felt such a sense of achievement each week when I was able to complete it.

I really love running now, and since completing it have been in several 5 and 10km fun runs, completed my first half marathon in October, and am now training for my second half in April.

Edited by DandS, 24 January 2013 - 10:43 AM.

#11 emma_jean

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:49 AM

Can I ask - those who have done it successfully - how much extra weight were you carrying at the time?

#12 MsDemeanor

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:48 AM

I have just finished week four  - Emma Jean this is the running I do! I am at least 25-30 kgs overweight.

I love it!

#13 MsDemeanor

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:49 AM

I run on an oval Emma, maybe try that if you got splints from running on the road?

#14 emma_jean

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

Yeah I was running on the road so might try the oval, thanks original.gif

#15 Canberra Chick

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:01 PM

I did it and it was great. It really kick started weight loss and I did two fun runs late last year. I still run, but find for time and my 'groove' 4 km in 20 minutes suits me better nowadays, so I do 4km three times a week.

I was carrying an extra 10kg when I started. I had been doing sport before, but nothing that required me to run long distances.

#16 Libertine

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:09 PM

I'm doing it just now. Did week 5, day 1 this morning. I started from zero fitness and am about 6-9kg over my happy weight.

I think it's excellent. I actually look forward to going out and doing it.

IMO i think it really ramped up a notch in week 4 and 5. On Saturday I have to run for 8 minutes!!! Saying that I have completed every run so far so no reason to think I can't do it lol.

Go for it OP! Running is such an excellent way to burn calories and it makes you feel GOOD.

#17 Zephie Chugger

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:09 PM

Thanks ladies, I think I'll give it a go when school goes back and will have a little bit of time.

#18 Moo point

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

Just adding I did it about 4 years ago. Have always hated running, and hadn't run in about 17 years (since they forced us to do it at school). I started in January and did the City 2 Surf in August with a friend of mine, 14km in just under 2 hours. I was pretty stoked original.gif

I can't remember weight, I think I was about 94kg (about 20kg over my ideal for my height/frame), and got down to around 82kg. I definitely lost a couple of dress sizes and gained some muscle, too. I used to put music on my iPod that fit within the 30 min program so I could run to my own music, then once I got past the last week I just chose whatever music got me in the mood.

I am back around 85kg, have a 7 month old DS, and am thinking of doing this again once my body has healed properly (my knees, back and feet are giving me a bit of grief, not to mention the old pelvic floor).

Best of luck!

#19 *Lib*

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:15 PM

I did week 1, then moved onto week 2, struggled a bit with week 2, (I am seriously unfit) so I am back on week 1. I feel so good when I have finished. I run at the gym, on a treadmill, and I have tunes in the background.

#20 monet

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:33 PM

I did it last year, for fitness though not weight loss.  I hadn't run properly since high school...and I'm 48 now...so was fairly skeptical but I found the program reasonably easy to complete.  I have done a few 5km fun runs since and aiming for a half marathon this year.  I am in Singapore so found the heat one of the hardest things to deal with.

Good luck with it!

#21 Leggy

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:41 PM

Especially if you're overweight and not been doing much exercise, you should start out walking for 30 minutes a few times a week - I think they recommend for a month - before starting C25K. Also, if like me you try it a couple of times and have to keep stopping due to knee injury, despite following the program and not skipping ahead, get your hips checked - it turned out that my weak hip muscles were requiring my knees to do too much work, so they got very unhappy with me. I'm in the process of fixing that up now so maybe this will be the year that I will *finally* get to 5km!

Like some PPs I never imagined that I could run, let alone enjoy it. It's the most amazingly good feeling to find out that actually you can. That's probably worth more than any weight loss.

#22 minxy07

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:06 PM

You can also try an app called ease into 5. Much the same except it uses the music from your iPod/iPhone and then just drops in when you start and stop.

#23 Feral-Lausii

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:19 PM

I'm doing it. I still have another 30 kilos to lose to be in a healthy weight range. I started exercising slowly for two or so months. Got my fitness up a little. Have been repeating days here and there, and I also use it as a HIIT when on the x trainer. I'm currently at week 5, and have been repeating it for two weeks now. lol Time to stop freaking out and go to week 6.

#24 the wudges

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:25 PM

I did it last year and loved it! I was about 10kg overweight when I started and lost 12kg in total (combined with the 12WBT program).

Week 5 Day 3 is a real milestone, but once you do it you will never look back original.gif

#25 9ferals

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:31 PM

Love it!
It got me off the couch and into running 2 years ago, and I'm still running now.  Including races - 10k, 14k and half marathon last year.

But, start slow.  Really slow.  Don't worry if you can't do all the running intervals, do what you can and walk the rest.
And repeat weeks if you need to.
If you are overweight and unfit (like I was when I started) then you need to be cautious. I've had issues with my knees, hips and ankle since I started running, but a great physio has helped me get over those.
Make sure you have good shoes and a good bra - everything else is optional.

Enjoy!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)

Special Ticket Offer, Save $8!

The Essential Baby & Toddler Show is back this April! Save $8 off the door price for a limited time only!

Finding baby name inspiration in unusual places

Sometimes the greatest baby name ideas come from the most unexpected places, as these EB members show.

The case for inducing at 37 weeks

While we often think of pregnancy as a 40 week affair, experts agree that 37 weeks is actually “full term". So is there an argument for inducing all births at 37 weeks?

Does controlled crying really work?

Controlled-crying techniques may help some babies sleep through the night, but for many exhausted new parents, it's just a recipe for more tears all round.

How I taught my infant to use a toilet

As people become more aware of these benefits, I hope more parents will practice this method, so we can cut down on nappies and improve baby bonding.

'I thought it was impossible': Emily Symons pregnant at 45

Aussie actress Emily Symons has announced she is pregnant with her first baby.

Shallow water blackout kills fit, healthy dad

A little girl will grow up without her father after the fit and healthy 34-year-old passed away while doing something he had practised his whole life.

Afternoon naps may be bad for toddlers' sleep

You could be doing yourself a disservice by encouraging your toddler to have an afternoon nap, according to new research.

Best gifts for newborns, new mums and christenings

We've compiled a guide to some of the most popular presents for newborns and new mums, and for christenings and naming days.

Jaime King to be a mum again

Actress Jaime King is pregnant with her second child, giving 16-month-old James a sibling.

Nannies should receive government funding

The Abbott government should extend funding to nannies, and direct childcare payments to low and middle income families, a landmark study on childcare has found. 

Common skin irritations in newborns (and how to treat them)

As many as one in two newborn babies suffer from skin irritations in their first few weeks. So what are the most common rashes and irritations to look out for?

10 wall decals for the nursery or playroom

Wall decals are the answer to creating a beautiful nursery or children's space without lifting a paint brush, a spirit level or even a hammer.

Preschooler walks 2.4km home alone

Three-year-old Cain Trainor headed off home after his first day at a new preschool without telling anyone.

Video: Why mums get nothing done

In spite of being in an almost constant state of motion while looking after the kids and trying to keep things together at home, it can seem as though parents have managed to get nothing on the to-do list done by the end of the day.

The middle name game

The middle name is no longer an afterthought, and parents' inspiration comes from many places.

Have a baby or your money back - but there's a catch

A new IVF scheme offers couples the chance to fall pregnant and give birth - or get their money back. But there's more to it than you might think.

A rare glimpse inside the womb

A baby born still inside the amniotic sac gave US doctors a rare glimpse at life inside the womb.

Battered mum forced to write to her attacker ex in jail

Three years ago Jason Hughes viciously attacked his ex-partner. Now she has to write to him three times a year.

Woman pleads not guilty to ultrasound scam

A West Australian woman will fight allegations that she scammed expectant mums by selling them fake ultrasound pictures of babies.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Brain damaged mum receives compensation

A Sydney mother who suffered brain damage when she was hit by a car while pushing her newborn baby in a pram has reached a confidential out-of-court settlement with the driver's insurance company.

Indigenous midwives break down the barriers

A culturally sensitive midwifery service has gained the trust and respect of Aboriginal women.

The Katering Show's next big delivery

Most mums-to-be plan to take things easy and perhaps have a little break from work as the birth of their baby draws near. Not Kate McCartney.

53 creative pregnancy announcements

Announcing that you're expecting can be a time to express your creativity, sense of humour and imagination. Check out how other parents and parents-to-be have broken the news to friends and family.

Why I have mixed feelings about Cindy Crawford's leaked photo

Last week an un-retouched photo of model Cindy Crawford surfaced, showing the 48-year-old mother-of -two posing in underwear.

How to create a Peppa Pig pancake

Thought your toddler could not love pancakes any more than they already do? How about if the breakfast treat came in the shape of every two-year-old's favourite cartoon character?

'It's a little life, not a little loss': pregnancy after miscarriage

I thought I was never going to be able to have a successful pregnancy. I decided that I wasn't going to form an emotional attachment with this baby.

Bonds Baby Search 2015: what you need to know

February 18 marks the start of one of the most prolific annual baby competitions in Australia: the Bonds Baby Search. And this year is going to be more special than ever.

Who will manage your Facebook account when you're gone?

This is not something that people like to talk about, but Facebook has announced that it will grant users more control over what happens to their pages after they die.

Struggling mum of four wins $188 million

Mother of four Marie Holmes was financially struggling after quitting her jobs at Walmart and McDonald's in order to care for her children.

Pregnant obese women a 'relatively new problem', coroner hears

A first-time mother whose daughter died hours after her frightening birth insists she was never told of the risks of being obese and pregnant.

'I'm angry as hell': the story behind mum's passionate vaccination plea

She has labelled parents who do not vaccinate their children "misinformed imbeciles" - and for that, she makes no apologies.

IKEA hacks for the nursery and kids' rooms

Are you one of those that know the whole IKEA catalogue by heart? Love their stuff but want to personalise it? Here's some inspiration to help you realise the potential of IKEA furniture and fittings.

8 different kinds of tantrums

I never thought I’d say this, but for a brief moment last week, Kim Kardashian and I had something in common: both our kids had public tantrums.

Polycystic ovary syndrome: symptoms, treatment and your fertility

Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is the most common female hormonal condition, affecting roughly one in 12 Australian women.

What's the best position for giving birth?

If doing it on your back is out, what's the best position for labour and birth?

Wife forgives snake catcher husband for car surprise

With Valentine's Day coming up, Nat Gilbert could be forgiven for thinking her husband might be planning a surprise for her.

Kids who meet milestones at their own pace

We usually only hear the success stories: tales of the two-year-old who’s talking, running and completely toilet trained. But other stories need to be told too.

Ruby shines as Bonds Baby

Sarah Kiss has a word of advice for proud mums and dads who are keen to enter their babies in this year's Bonds Baby Search Competition - just have fun.

Why dads should go to sleep school

If your family needs to go to sleep school, go with them. You are part of that family and you are part of the solution.

36 baby names inspired by food and drinks

A French court may have ruled out Nutella as a baby name, but that doesn't have to stop you from taking inspiration from the supermarket (or bottle shop). See what parents in the US have chosen for their delicious little ones.

Clever breastfeeding products

Check out this range of products designed to help make your breastfeeding journey more enjoyable, manageable and convenient.

Win a KitchenAid Mixer

Let's celebrate 300,000 fans on Facebook

To celebrate, and to thank our amazing fans, we?re giving away a KitchenAid Artisan Tilt-Head Stand Mixer.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.