Help, advice, anything?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Rubyduck

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:11 PM

A little bit of info....I'm 32 yrs roughly 163/64 cms and ATM weigh 78kgs and no matter what I do can't seem to shift this weight!!! I usually sit between 65 - 67kgs and am happy with that but in the last 12 months the extra kgs have sort of snuck up and I'm at a loss as to why and why it won't budge!
I work a fairly physical job with a early start but I've managed to sacrifice sleep to get up a hour earlier to exercise (cross trainer) and grab breakfast as I hear early exercise is good for you and breakfast is a good idea I'm pretty new to eating so early so for the moment it's usually one of those weight loss slim shakes or a musli bar. I don't really eat again until after 2-3pm when I'm home for the day and have to sit to do paper work, it's not that I wouldn't eat during the day it's more of a I don't have time and work on the road constantly in and out of the car and the thought of warm or soggy car food puts me right off. Anyway what I eat in the arvo is generally light a tin of tuna or sandwich at worst just cereal which means I'm never too fussed on dinner I will either have a small serve or snack on parts of it while cooking it! I also drink a ton of water and rarely drink soft drinks, I do drink alcohol but only white wine not beer, spirits or premixed drinks. I don't eat crap due to IBS and lactose intolerance I would if I could though I'm sure!! What else can I do?? I'm thinking of adding a walk in the afternoons but honestly because I have to come to a stop to do paperwork I get lazy and find it hard to get motivated afterwards. I've had blood tests ect and ruled out any new medical conditions I do have PCOS but I've had that for many years so I find it hard to believe that I would now suddenly get weight issues with it when I was of normal weight since being diagnosed a few years back. The doc tried me on diabex telling me because I have PCOS that would help with the weight and I did lose 2 kgs within a week but it also made me incredibly sick which I have no time for, his now given me a smaller dosage but I'm too scared to take them and get sick again. I was thinking of trying a over the counter weightloss tablet but there's so many to choose from, has anyone had any success with anything over the counter??
Does anyone have any suggestions for me??

Edited by Rubyduck, 25 January 2013 - 02:48 AM.

#2 bluecupcakes

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:26 PM

From what you have said here it looks like you need to eat more.  You eat very little and there is hours between meals it's not enough to keep your metabolism going.  You could try taking fruit, muesli bars, nuts etc with you on your travels as these things tend to travel well.
Another weight loss tip is to mix up your exercise a bit, if you are allways doing the same thing your body gets used to it.  Try something different and see if that helps.

#3 beaglebaby

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:01 AM

I agree, you need to start eating good healthy meals, not diet shakes or muesli bars!  Start the day with some protein and a little carb, so an egg on toast, some yoghurt with berries and nuts etc, have a mid morning snack, even if it's only a piece of fruit and some sunflower seeds or pepitas.  Your tuna sounds good, maybe tuna and salad in a wrap or tuna and cream cheese on some rice thins for lunch.  Another snack mid afternoon, maybe nuts or similar, then lean meat and salad or vegies such as sweet potato and broccoli for dinner.

It might also be worth you seeing a dietician seeing as you have the PCOS to deal with as well so you should be staying on a lot GI diet.

With your exercise you're off to a great start.  Try doing some intervals on the cross trainer to really get your heart rate up, go flat out for 30seconds then easy for a minute etc etc.

Good luck, it's a long slow road but you can do it.

#4 Bazinga

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:09 AM

The above posts have said it perfect. You need to eat more. Your body is probably in starvation mode and holding onto everything it can. I also have PCOS and diet is crucial in maintaining our weight. The tablets will help, diet pills will not. It may take a week or so but the sick feeling will pass.

#5 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:35 AM

Talk to a dietician. They're qualified to give great advice on eating and exercise, and they know how to deal with health issues (from an eating perspective) as well.

#6 maryanneK

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:22 AM

I agree with the others..but the thing that stood out was the muesli bars. People think they are healthy but they are nutritionally just like eating a mars bar - VERY high in fat, sugar and calories. Have a bowl of muesli for breakfast instead. Good luck

#7 ani1

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:32 AM

From what you have said here it looks like you need to eat more

This, you are not eating enough . Try calorie king , it will tell you how much you should be eating a day. It's a fantastic site. Lots of great info, and a fantastic way to keep track of what you are doing and what you need to be doing. I would try that before any over the counter weight loss pills, which in my experience never really work and are unessary if you do the right thing. original.gif

http://www.calorieking.com.au/

#8 Rubyduck

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:39 AM

Thankyou for the advice, I've heard the food thing before that I need to eat more and I do struggle with that especially breakfast and week days. I'm not really a food person I guess cause I can't eat a lot of it I'm not really interested in it and scared of things making me sick (IBS really is a b**ch at times!) I could improve on the breakfast to 1 piece of toast and a apple and take nuts or seeds in the car but that's about it during the day I really do have a thing about food in the car and as my day varies there's no option of my food not having to be in the car all day. I'm interested to hear more about the diabex tablets Bazinga, have you taken them yourself? What dosage? I was on the 1000mg (1 per day) now I've been given the 500mg to take once a day. What type of sickness did you get? I had awful stomach pains, gastro, vomiting and headaches so all round pretty crappy I lasted 5 days 2 different times trying them and the symptoms didn't ease up in those 5 days either time.Is there a best time to take them? I suppose it would be ok if I felt a bit sick in the afternoons/nights but defiantly not in the mornings or before 3pm there are no toilets available to me other than the odd public loo if I'm really desperate while I'm working.
The interval thing on the cross trainer is a great idea I tried it this morning and really felt it and I think I will add in a arvo walk each day it will give me an incentive to speed up the paperwork and not get so lazy in the afternoons I hope!
Anymore info on the low gi thing would also be good if anyone has some easy to follow guides? I've just googled it and there's like a million sites about it I don't know where to start and due to my lack of interest in food it just kind of seems like a Mount Everest of info that I will never get through!

#9 avjg

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:44 AM

Rubyduck

Go to www.paleoplan.com and get some recipies for good real basic food.

Check out paleo eating - basically meat/veg/fruit - no dairy/cereals/breads/sugars.

I have never been overweight but I could never get rid of the last 2 kilograms of my bodyweight which would allow me to feel completely comfortable - until I learnt about paleo eating (including learning about what lectins are and what grains/cereals do to our bodies).

I eat all I want Rubyduck. I'm never ever hungry. I have so much energy and I'm rarely sick.

Please please, everybody check out paleo eating (and also www.marksdailyapple.com if your keen).

Learn what you can about lectins and what it does to insulin in your body.

It blew my mind and changed my whole way of eating.

I pretty much eat sweet potato chips (baked with coconut oil) every couple of days. I love hot chips!!

I currently weigh 57 kgs, but before paleo I sat at 59kgs and could not budge my weight.

#10 sedawson

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:57 AM

Paleo plan?

I don't know if life would be worth living if I never ate a ham sandwich on fluffy white bread. I really don't.

#11 avjg

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:23 PM

ha ha!

I thought the same!! My husband started first and I reluctantly followed after seeing how he finally lost that (smallish) floppy gut!!

Now, white bread tastes really funny to me and as for the ham, I still eat that sometimes!

Actually, I'm more like 80/20 - 80% paleo and 20% crap (cereals/breads). The more I eat paleo though, the more I realise how bad non-real food tastes!!

Never thought I would love cashews nuts like I do!!

#12 avjg

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:24 PM

Oh, and baked cauliflower chips are fab.

Also, cant beat the carrot/banana muffins on paleoplan.com - very moreish!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss, as it involves toilet talk. But it needs to be talked about.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.