Jump to content
Ate unpasteurised cheese ....
8 replies to this topic
Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:41 PM
I just ate some ossua iraty cheese, which afterwards I found out is not only made from unpasteurised sheep cheese but was subject to a listeria recall in 2011
I thought it was a hard cheese, turns out it is classed as semi-soft... Imported from France.
I made myself throw up as much of it as I could, but now I'm so worried...this was about 30 minutes after I had eaten it.
I'm 31 weeks pregnant. What should I do? Is there anything I can do?
How much do you need to have consumed to become infected?
Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:43 PM
Maybe seek the advice of a GP, they may prescribe antibiotics if they think the risk is significant.
Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:45 PM
I guess you can only contact your GP. Listeria takes a long time to become active from what I understand, so I'm not sure there would be much you could do about it now. Try to relax, chances are you will be absolutely fine. Maybe make an appointment for tomorrow
Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:56 PM
I'd never forgive myself if something happened now ... how could I have been so stupid, I should have checked...
GP tomorrow, definitely...
Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:57 PM
Oh OP I can feel your stress. Remember that listeria is extremely rare so try not to stress too much (absolutely easier said than done I know, ive been a shocker for stressing about food during this pregnnancy). I would also go to the GP tomorrow, they may prescribe you some anti-biotics to be safe.
Sending you big hugs.
Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:34 AM
Just because it wasn't pasteurised doesn't mean it is infected! It is so easy to eat things and then kick yourself afterwards. I'm sure you and the baby will be fine, please let us know what the dr says.
Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:43 AM
I can tell you a few times I've accidentally eaten something or drank something on the naughty list and freaked out about it. Granted, it wasn't soft cheese.
Perhaps your doc can put you on a precautionary antibiotic just to be on the safe side. Most of the GP's I saw about my lapse in judgement (wasn't that bad, it was only fresh unpasturised OJ from a cafe - didn't see them put it together. DH did and told me afterwards) and most of them seemed unconcerned. Even the OB was unconcerned.
Given yours was cheese maybe they will take better action about given the big recall on those soft cheeses here.
I'm sure you will be fine. The risk is very very low.
Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:09 AM
They tell you not to drink it because of listeria - the machines may not be cleaned thoroughly and listeria can live inside the machines.
I know... it's crazy.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users
As most parents know, finding time for sex post-kids is one of life's not-so-little challenges.
Kids birthday parties sound fun in the abstract but the reality is they often end up an introverts worst nightmare – forced social interaction in the name of good parenting.
A 92-year-old Canadian woman has become a great-great-great grandmother this week after the family welcomed a baby boy.
Simply put the pram brake on, set the wheels on top of the Pramrolla, plug it in and off they go ... or so they think.
Pop superstar Beyonce on Thursday released a slew of photos of herself posing pregnant and nude.
A Singaporean mum of two has spoken about her humiliation at the hands of German airport security guards who ordered her to prove she could breastfeed.
Child-proofing tips that will ensure your home remains a safe haven for curious toddlers and babies on the move.
When the couple conceived their first human child they came under enormous pressure to give up their dogs.
A bereaved mother has spoken about her decision to take her daughter's body home to spend time as a family before her funeral.
A note posted by a US daycare facility has urged parents to get off their phone when collecting their children:
We've all been there – you need to hold the baby, but you also need to eat.
Nameberry has crunched the numbers, predicting which monikers will see a rise in 2017.
Five years ago firefighter Marc Hadden took an emergency call that changed his life.
A British safety blogger has shared a graphic photo of the damage a seatbelt can do in a car accident in a bid to persuade more parents to use rear-facing car seats for as long as possible with their kids.
Now that's a good way to start the new year.
It's such a neat idea for those living in high density apartment blocks where children may struggle to get enough physical activity.
The lightweight and compact Bugaboo Bee has been on the scene for a decade now.
It is okay to be worried, nervous, anxious, in love and happy all at the same time.
Top 5 Articles
There is less of a focus on fine motor skills, but they're just as important as others. (SPONSORED)
There are at least five other compelling reasons to get musical around your toddler. (SPONSORED)
Free ticket offer