----

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 **Tiger*Feral**

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:08 PM

----

Edited by Tyrone Finkelmeyer, 26 March 2013 - 08:12 PM.

#2 Juki

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:11 PM

I think it would be fine. I used to ride heaps of places at that age. I would just give him my mobile number to take along if they questioned it.

#3 EsmeLennox

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:12 PM

It'd depend on the kid. I think I would let my 10.5 year old do it. I wonder if the school would hand it over to them though?

#4 mum850

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:16 PM

I think it's fine, assuming it's practical for him to carry them home. Is he at home by himself? (I do not think it's bad to leave a sensible 10.5 year old by himself, don't' want to hear about how I am going to go to jail in QLD thank you all!)

#5 Fr0g

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

Yep, I'd do it.

Our day is Friday, but ironically all books were sent home first week of Jan - so we 'have' to go and drop the labelled/ covered things in to school. I know it'll be hectic first day back, but I would've preferred it!

#6 Expelliarmus

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

I saw a Year 7 today at school picking up her uniform tops and I would have sent DD herself if it had been tomorrow. They're 12, mind you, but I can't see the issue with it. I also picked up DD1's BFF's tops as well because her mum was ... at work!

You gotta do what you gotta do IMO.

#7 JustBeige

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

I would.

What is the difference between him riding too and from school and riding to and from school to pick up books.

If I thought he might get accosted by an overzealous secretary or teacher, I would send a note with him stating that he has your permission to do this.

#8 **Tiger*Feral**

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:28 PM

----

#9 i-candi

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:28 PM

Is he home by himself? can an older sibling (or person) go with him?

I personally wouldn't have an issue with it. If DD could get to school safely (there is a road between here and school with no path and minimal space - one side a drop to the creek, one side a massive hill) I'd get her to pick up the stuff.

ETA send him with older sibling. Easy. BTW I leave my 13 home alone, he is fine and for very short periods I leave 10 and 13 year old home (very well behaved and they actually get on well).

Edited by i-candi, 23 January 2013 - 07:30 PM.

#10 Foogle

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:50 PM

No issue with your hypothetical OP, - would probably prefer an older sibling to go with him but that's just me - safety in numbers.

But, and I have never understood this, why do schools want books picked up prior to school going back?

It makes no sense.  Where is the efficiency gain here?

DS's school issue all the books in the first week back.  He will, in the first week, come home with a clutch of books that need to be covered (covers provided together with name labels) and we are expected to cover them and send him back with them over the following week.

I don't get it.  Maybe I'm missing something.   unsure.gif  

Children arrive first week back, school issues books.  That's the way it was when I was going through primary - NZ admittedly but that shouldn't matter.

Disclaimer: I am not talking about High School and electives.  Different ball-game.  The OP's son being 10 1/2 means he is still in primary.

#11 BadCat

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:57 PM

I'd be happy for him to go by himself.  He goes to school himself so I don't really see a difference.  I can't imagine why anyone at the school would even question it.  I've sent my kids to pick up book packs heaps of times over the years.  Whether I send them from home or I drive them and wait in the car, how would the school even know?  I've never had any problems.

#12 **Tiger*Feral**

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:03 PM

----

#13 MsDemeanor

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:25 PM

I have the same issue tomorrow and I am flat out with meetings at work. i have decided to do the unthinkable and just not get them. there are no texts only stationery and a large levy to pay the office. Surely if they decide I can't get it from the supplier the next day, I will just go to Officeworks and source my own. I would never normally do this but schools need to be a lttle more flexible.

#14 ~strawberry~

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:40 PM

I'd let him pick them up, but try and get one of his siblings to go with him.

Our book packs are picked up now so they can be named and covered (if you want) and then sent back to school on the first day to be stored by the teacher, but not for communal use.

Ours could be picked up between 2-6pm today or tomorrow morning 9-1pm.

#15 againagain

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:08 PM

What a stupid arrangement! (The school that is, not you.)

Our books are sent home in the last week of the year, unless you haven't paid, in which case you have 8.30-4 in the two student free days at the start of the school year.

#16 Julie3Girls

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:44 AM

Personally I'd send the older sister with him, if you are unsure. I would also be dropping in a letter requesting in future could they please arrange a time more accessible for working parents.

We get our book packs when the kids go back to school ... Usually at the parent info meeting during the 2nd week, so the parents can take them home. If the parents don't attend, the book pack is handed to the child the next day at school. During the first week, they usually work from last years books, or the teacher simply hands out a book to everyone.

#17 Therese

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:27 AM

I think it would be fine to let him pick them up but I would probably send one of his older siblings along with him.

#18 ~~~

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

What an unfriendly policy for working parents huh.gif I'd be saying, no, we can't do it, please send home on day 1 or equivalent....

How common is this at schools? DDs public primary school has nothing like this at all....

#19 bunny2

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:38 AM

QUOTE (Foogle @ 23/01/2013, 07:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But, and I have never understood this, why do schools want books picked up prior to school going back?

It makes no sense.  Where is the efficiency gain here?

This is what I think too!!!!!

Why do I have to go and pick up a heap of books only to then have to drop them off a few weeks later?

And I know it's probably to go home and cover them, but why do I have to cover them?

It wasn't compulsory for me to cover my books when I went to school and the books were fine.  I didn't go to school in Australia though, and I must admit I was surprised when we got here and found out I had to cover DD's books.

Sorry for going off on a tangent in your thread OP!

Edited by bunny2, 24 January 2013 - 11:40 AM.

#20 Heather11

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:52 AM

QUOTE (~~~ @ 24/01/2013, 11:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What an unfriendly policy for working parents huh.gif I'd be saying, no, we can't do it, please send home on day 1 or equivalent....

How common is this at schools? DDs public primary school has nothing like this at all....

My children's school doesn't do it.  I do remember, however, that half way through my high schooling years it was introduced.

They would have to have contingency plans in place though.  There would simply be some parents who can't take a day off or others who are still on holidays at this time.

To me it would make sense that those that can do it pick them up, those that can't get them on the first day of school.  I mean what are they going to do if you can't make it?  Hold the books to ransom?

#21 Rock of Empathy

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:59 AM

I would also send one of the girls along with him but I don't know why.

Probably becuase I'm comparing him to my 10.5 year old, who would crumble if there was an issue (ie books heavier or more cumbersome than expected, a long line of people where he could be overlooked etc etc).

#22 unicycle

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

Maybe send him with a note from you, explaining he has permission to collect.

#23 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:46 PM

Our books are available from the school next Thurs (31st) between 1-3pm. Not a huge time frame is it. I've had it written on the calender for weeks so as not to miss it.

#24 Heather11

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:25 PM

QUOTE (~THE~MAGICIAN~ @ 24/01/2013, 01:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Our books are available from the school next Thurs (31st) between 1-3pm. Not a huge time frame is it. I've had it written on the calender for weeks so as not to miss it.

What happens if you can't make it that day/time?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Ambulance service under fire: baby seats to go, response times 'worse than ever'

The NSW Ambulance Service is removing child-safety seats from ambulances, while the Victorian service is facing criticism over lengthy response times following the death of a three-year-old.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Is e-reading to your toddler story time or just screen time?

When reading increasingly means swiping pages on a device, and we're advised to read to their children early and often, should parents be turning to e-readers for storytime?

Community mourns inspiring young dad

A young dad who fought a five-year battle with cancer has been remembered for his inspiring legacy at a funeral service attended by hundreds of family and friends this week.

Meningococcal kills Queensland toddler

Public health authorities say the death of a toddler in north Queensland from meningococcal disease highlights the danger the illness poses.

Nicole Kidman: 'I hope every month that I'm pregnant'

Nicole Kidman is hoping to add to her family, but says she's doubtful it will happen.

Recall: Aldi Wooden London Bus play set

Aldi has announced a recall of their popular Wooden London Bus play set.

Great gift ideas for first birthdays

From soft toys to balance bikes, here are some great ideas for first birthday gifts.

Mum learnt she was pregnant hours before giving birth

Kim Walsh arrived at the doctor with abdominal cramps. Hours later, she was cradling the baby experts told her she could never have.

How cancer has made me a better, happier person

I'm a far better person post-cancer than I ever was before. The goal now is to stay around long enough to find out who I can become, and what I can achieve.

Pete Evans says a paleo diet can prevent autism. He's wrong

Pete Evans is not a paediatrician or even a nutritionist or dietitian. So why should we believe his extreme views and remove food groups from our children's diets over the advice from those more qualified?

Let's get back to commonsense parenting

Forget the new 'Lawnmower' parenting trend; try using plain old-fashioned commonsense instead.

Woman sues after having a mixed-race baby

A US woman is suing a sperm bank after it sent her vials from African-American man, instead of the white donor she had selected.

Bonding ideas dad will love

Dad may not say it, but he could be feeling lost, confused and seriously left out. However, there are lots of things new fathers can do to be more included in the excitement of pregnancy and new parenthood.

The house that hope built for childhood cancer

Baby Laelani Baker was diagnosed with cancer before she was even born. Her heartbreaking story is just one of the reasons the Build for a Cure project is raising money for vital research into childhood cancer.

Does stay-at-home parenting get better?

Parenting doesn’t ever get easier; the challenges just change. But the challenges of caring for young children definitely lessens as they get older.

Inquest into the short and tragic life of Chloe Valentine

As the first phase of an inquest into the death of Chloe Valentine drew to a close, there was no doubt Chloe's life was marred by appalling neglect.

When mothers kill

The act of killing one's child is unthinkable for most, and a mother who kills her offspring has a special power to inspire shock and revulsion.

6 beauty tips for tired mums

For those of us with young children, eight hours sleep is a distant memory. And while we can’t do much to secure more shut-eye, there are some ways to fake it.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Awkward grandparents

When Grandma and Grandpa pose for a snap with the kids, things can get very weird, very quickly.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.