How did you meet your BFF's?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 me-and-my-girls

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

So I was just thinking the other day about my BFF's and the relationships I have with them.  Now it occurred to me that 2 of the 3 of them I met through my kids stuff.  I think that most of my other good friendships have also been formed through kids stuff as well.

Am I the only one that seems to have worked out this way or is it a case of once you have kids your life just seems to gravitate towards others that are at the same stage?

BFF 1 - Met through a church group before kids about 16 years ago
BFF 2 - Met at playgroup when our first borns were just babies about 13 years ago
BFF 3 - Met through an extra curricular activity that our DD's were doing together on Sat mornings about 6 years ago.

Anyway, so I was wondering how everyone else met their BFF's.

#2 katniss

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:34 PM

Mine is an old school friend who I reconnected with through facebook. She has kids around my own kids age tho so I think that has helped us reestablished our friendship as we first started catching up with our kids now we leave the kids with the hubbies to see eachother  happy.gif

#3 cameo

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:35 PM

One friend - met at KFC when we were 15 working together 23 years ago.

Second friend - met at Year 11 English class 23 years ago.

Third friend - met at mothers group 10 years ago when our babies were 6 weeks old.

#4 Bwok~Bwok

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:39 PM

BFF 1 - when we were 3 playing at the park and a bully pushed me off the swing and so she pushed him back! original.gif

BFF 2 - Year 8 in High School

BFF 3 - I met through DP

Edited by Bwok~Bwok, 23 January 2013 - 04:40 PM.

#5 greenrainbow

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:43 PM

3 of my BFF's I met in high school and have been friends with for 17+ years. Other BFF I met through work 8 years ago. I have a few friends I've met since being a mum, playgroup, mothers group etc but none I would class as BFFs.

#6 countrychic29

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

2 BFF's - met both at same primary school - grade 6 18 years ago
one - i have been BFF's with more or less the whole time with (couple of quieter late teenage years)... the other we were always friends but became a lot closer around 8 years ago.

#7 JustBeige

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:55 PM

1st - she started going out with DH's friend.   We got on like a house on fire and at one stage I was worried I was going to have to 'choose' between her and DH's friend.  Luckily he wised up and she has stuck around.

2nd - through school. But we have decided that when the kids are grown we are going to move in together and leave our DH's to fend for themselves (on the days they drive us nuts)

#8 mill85

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

Two of them I met at high school around 15 years ago and my other best girlfriend I met at Uni.

#9 solongsuckers

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:59 PM

One in grade 1 at primary school. She was the new kid and was in my class.

One on the school bus in high school.

One at high school.

#10 Apageintime

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

I have 3.

1 - I met at school (she was the only good thing about yr 11 biology)
2 - went to our sister school and we reconnected through FB
3 - my SIL, met her through DH. But I almost love her more than him now Tounge1.gif

#11 MsDemeanor

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:06 PM

I went to school with my two BFFs, one was my best friend since the first day we met at age 7 the other I have only connected with in the last four years.

The other two really close ones are school mums, and one other one is a work friend.

And my true BFF is an EB member who lives a couple of states away from me. Luff her to bits

#12 WhatWouldBuffyDo

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:08 PM

Our dads (well my step dad) worked together and then we found out that we had actually moved in across the road from them not even a week prior. We have now been best friends for nearly 19 years (I'm nearly 27 and she's just turned 26).

#13 KnightsofNi

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:35 PM

I met my besties at mothers group. So mothers groups aren't all bad!

#14 mad madam mim

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:33 PM

I met my bff through my DH I suppose, he knew her through her hubby and asked her to come help me out when I was stuck at the vets with my new puppy without a way home.

#15 i-candi

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:51 PM

Best Fornicating Friends or

Best Friends Forever????

cool.gif

#16 threetimesblessed

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:56 PM

1 - high school 21 years ago

2 - mother's group 8 years ago

3 - when DS1 started school 2 years ago

#17 knittingkitten

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:57 PM

Yr 11 in History class....passing notes. A century later and she's still my favourite bunny. original.gif

#18 Sif

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:58 PM

1st BFF - she started a yahoo list for like-minded local parents, which lead to a site and playgroups and a not-for-profit organisation, but best of all, friends!

2nd BFF - Visited the site 1st BFF started just to read, not post, then realised our kids were going to the same school, found me in the school yard, sidled up and whispered, 'I've been stalking you online, you're so-and-so from such-and-such forum, aren't you?' LOL

3rd BFF - Went to a mothers group for pregnancy and breastfeeding supporting and a couple of years later we both had boys within 3 weeks of one another.

Edited by Sif, 23 January 2013 - 06:59 PM.

#19 andyk

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:58 PM

1. Is my sister but only since we became adults.
2. Work about 8 years ago.
3. At poker about 7 years ago.

#20 Velocinag

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:00 PM

My BFF and I have been friends for our whole lives. Our parents grew up in the same street and we were born two months apart (she's older). We were 'made to be friends' but actually ended up getting along fabulously. In a freakish coincidence our bubs are exactly the same age apart as we are and her LO is the older one. And our DHs have the same first name and our last names begin with the same letter.

#21 leo the lioness

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

... changed my mind!

Edited by leo the lioness, 23 January 2013 - 07:57 PM.

#22 F1widow

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:06 PM

I feel so weird using BFF in a non-ironical way. Am I old?

Anyway, I guess there are three girls I talk to all the time and they were my BMs. I met them, and actually most of my female friends, through my ex. They were, or still are, partners of his friends. I'm not the only ex to still around either. We're all a big 'group' some of whom form smaller groups who see each other all the time, and others who I would consider 'good' friends but I don't see often because they live elsewhere.

#23 TheGreenSheep

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:13 PM

1 we met at work
2 we met at work
3 we met at mothers group

Unfortunately they're all interstate. Makes me very sad how much I miss them. But life's like that, upwards and onwards and all that.

#24 Veryclucky

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:21 PM

I met both of my BFFs and my DH in grade 5 when we all ended up at the same primary school (BFF1 and myself that year, DH the previous year and BFF2 went there from grade 1).

We all went to the same high school in Grade 8 but then BFF1 moved to Sydney and we had a penpal/phone call relationship with the occasional visit until she moved back to Brisbane after her marriage ended when we were 23.

Grade 5 was a banner year for me when it comes to meeting important people in my life  biggrin.gif

#25 IsolaBella

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:26 PM

QUOTE (i-candi @ 23/01/2013, 07:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Best Fornicating Friends or

Best Friends Forever????

cool.gif

I failed this test of female friendship.

I am going withnDH as my BFF so he fits both categories above.

We met on holiday overseas.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Britain's youngest parents: mother 12, father 13

A 12-year-old schoolgirl and her 13-year-old boyfriend are believed to have become Britain?s youngest parents, after the birth of their baby girl earlier this week.

When Prince George met Bilby George

Prince George has met an Aussie marsupial named after him in his first official engagement in Australia.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Pregnant woman dies after doctor removes ovary instead of appendix

When a UK woman went to hospital suffering appendicitis, doctors mistakenly removed her healthy ovary - with tragic consequences.

The milestones I can't wait to celebrate

Nothing can beat the feeling of witnessing that first smile, first step and first word - but here's a list of 'firsts' I'm really looking forward to now.

How you develop in your baby's first year

Just as babies undergo rapid growth as they learn and change in their first year, we?re learning and changing quickly as parents, too. Don?t underestimate the developmental stages you go through when you have a baby.

Can you make your baby smarter even before birth?

A product new to Australia claims to help babies be born "as intelligent as possible", but not all experts agree on the benefits of educating babies while still in the womb.

How a mother's love helped unearth the skills of an autistic savant

Autistic savant Ping Lian Yeak, a prodigious artist who has had his work shown all over the world, couldn't have done it without the support and love of his proud mum.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

A tiny heart: a baby?s death gives life to another

Simon Alexander Garcia lived only one brief hour. But somewhere, a little girl?s heart is beating today because of him.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Why is childbirth still such a pain?

The options given to women to help them cope in labour have barely changed in years.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.