So... Who is right?

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#1 Feral_Pooks

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:42 PM

I just got reprimanded by a relative for the following...

DS (11 months) was pretty ratty this morning while we were out shopping. He fell asleep in the car so when we got home I parked in the garage which is connected to the house, wound down the windows and I left him there with the door between garage and house while I brought in the shopping. I put it away, and then started hanging up some laundry on the clothesline in the back yard, there wasn't a lot so I would have been there five minutes, tops.

Door bell rings, it's a relative who has dropped by unexpectedly seeking a cup of tea between doing things. No worries. I pop the kettle on and tell her I just need to hang the last few things and will be right back. When I come back in she looks puzzled and asks where DS is (I figure she must have gone to look at him sleeping in his cot and he wasn't there). I tell her and she looks mortified. "Sweetie, you can't leave him out there! He shouldn't be left in a car. You were out the back yard, you can't hear him out there! I'll go bring him in". And I'm standing there like a stunned mullet, then "um, no, he is fine". Her "it's ok, I'll got get him, I want to see him anyway" me: "ah, no, let him nap, he will be up soon for his lunch anyway and can have a proper nap this afternoon". She gets all eyerolly, drinks her tea fast, then leaves and makes heaps of noise and calls out to him on her way out, then smugly notes he is awake now anyway and leaves.

Thinking about it, she was just genuinely horrified and I'm sure thinks she was doing me a big favour by telling me, but I have steam coming out of my ears.

For some context, DS is a sh*t sleeper, would not have transferred to his cot in a million years, it was not hot in the car or garage.

So, was she right to tell me off, or was what I was doing fine?

#2 andthethreebears

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:44 PM

I'm 100% on your side!

#3 bakesgirls

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:47 PM

For me it depends on the temperature for the day. Cold day, no worries, as long as I was able to check on the child frquently. Hot or even just a warm day, no, I wouldn't do it. I'd also make sure the garage door was closed for safety reasons and leave the internal garage door into the house open.

From what you have described though, I'm on your side.

EFS

Edited by bakesgirls, 23 January 2013 - 02:49 PM.

#4 iheartu

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

WT the Effin F... Some people hey?!? I would have done the same in your position original.gif

#5 Frightbat

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

I'm with you too.

The car was cool, and garaged and you had the door open so you'd have heard him (maybe not when you were outside but you wouldn't have heard him outside if he was in his cot either)

#6 Feral_Pooks

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:49 PM

QUOTE (bakesgirls @ 23/01/2013, 03:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd also make sure the garage door was closed for safety reasons and leave the internal garage door into the house open.

Yes I did that, should have clarified. I also popped in there a few times to check on him.

#7 McFly

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:49 PM

I have left my sleeping kids in the car before! Our garage is connected to the house.  The sliding door opens to our lounge room.  I have not been doing it lately as it has been too hot where we are but other times, I don't see it as a problem.  

#8 BadCat

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

Simple.  She's wrong.

#9 TheGreenSheep

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:52 PM

QUOTE (andthethreebears @ 23/01/2013, 03:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm 100% on your side!

Me too!

#10 Lil Chickens

I do it all the time with DS (and did it with DD).  I'm on your side.

#11 *~dee~*

I used to do this sometimes in the cooler weather too. DD would never transfer to her cot, and then go without a proper nap and be intolerable for the rest of the day.

Pfffft, some people!

#12 dotty27

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:55 PM

I do it all the time, but also depends on temp.

#13 BreezaH

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

I would've done the same as you - I have left DS1 in a car before to sleep. I was never able to get either of my boys out of the car without waking them! I think in a garage, windows down, door to house open is perfectly fine on a mild day. No different to having them in a bedroom with the door closed.

#14 Feral_Pooks

QUOTE (Rawr @ 23/01/2013, 03:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pooks, even if your baby was in the cot in the room, I feel that it's really rude and intrusive for anyone to just go wander in like that. I would never do that to someone, and I'd be really angry if someone did it with my kids

Yes... I am wondering if she just wanted to see the baby and exaggerated the car thing in the hopes I'd wake him and she would see him :s

She has a history of digging at me about my parenting style, that I overindulge him, and that he only won't do things like sleep or travel well because I let him rule me. So I wasn't sure if I was being over sensitive to a valid criticism or if she was just having another dig at me.

#15 Tesseract

The "Sweetie" bit would have really rubbed me the wrong way, totally patronising.

I wouldn't have minded a polite inquiry about the heat in the garage, but eye rolling and making noise = rude relative.

#16 Fr0g

I used to carry the removable capsule inside and when the kids were older, the whole car seat in and plonk it in the bedroom.  Then again, we didn't have a safe place to park the car in a cool garage.  If I did, I would do what you do.

I'm with camp You.

#17 mini mac

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

She was out of line being so rude, despite what was probably just concern.

If it wasn't a particularly warm day, I would definitely do it, especially if DS1 had been very unsettled and cranky and really needed the rest. Garage door shut or slightly ajar, car doors all open and breeze aflowing, internal door open and me within hearing distance!

WE just moved and no longer have a garage with only a carport so its not an option anymore... cry1.gif

#18 Feral_Pooks

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:00 PM

She has children my age and older and was doing the sweetie /eyeroll thing in a tone of exasperation, because I am frustrating and annoying to her with all the stupid things I do.

Like I said, I'm a bit annoyed.

But willing to accept maybe I got something wrong. Coz, I do. We all do, I guess.

#19 solongsuckers

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:01 PM

I'm with you for sure

#20 Oriental lily

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:01 PM

With my first dd it was oe of the only few places she would sleep for day naps.

As long as its cool and secure its perfectly fine in my books.

Just always make sure the engine is of .

#21 mini mac

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

QUOTE (Pooks_ @ 23/01/2013, 12:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes... I am wondering if she just wanted to see the baby and exaggerated the car thing in the hopes I'd wake him and she would see him :s

She has a history of digging at me about my parenting style, that I overindulge him, and that he only won't do things like sleep or travel well because I let him rule me. So I wasn't sure if I was being over sensitive to a valid criticism or if she was just having another dig at me.

OMG I have a family member that does this EVERY time she visits! So annoying. I'm so not strict with quiet and sleeping during the day (ie I don't clang around with the pots but I will make whatever noise I want and generally have music playing) but really hate it when people intentionally make loud noise just to wake a kid up for a cuddle or a play! mad.gif

#22 CallMeFeral

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

She was WAY out of line!

How is in a garage with the doors/windows between you open any different from in their room, hearing wise???
And then to intentionally wake him - RUDE!

#23 Mrs Dinosaurus

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:05 PM

I'm a 'context is everything' person but it was pretty cool this morning and the garage is cool, no problem and I'm on your side.

I think (I may be wrong) the law is on her side though?

#24 Dylan's Mummy

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:06 PM

If I come home and bub is asleep in his pram I leave him sleeping and park the pram in it's usual place in the garage. Our garage is under the house and I will hang the washing out while he is sleeping in the pram. I can't see too much difference between bub having a nap in the car while you are around the house and having a nap in his room, especially if the garage is connected to the house, it would just be like another room.

Sounds like a mother in law type of thig to criticise.

Edited by Dylan's Mummy, 23 January 2013 - 03:08 PM.

#25 steppy

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:09 PM

Even if she didn't approve, which is her prerogative, she didn't have to go and make sure he woke up and then leave. Nasty. Hate underhanded stuff like that.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clever panda fakes pregnancy

News that a giant panda was pregnant prompted much excitement, but it appears there were never any cubs on the way.

'I survived placenta percreta'

When writing her birth plan, Simone Pavil included an item most women wouldn?t even think about: what should happen if she was put on life support. The mum had the potentially fatal condition placenta accreta.

Managing personal space as a mum

In the midst of the early parenting years, our bodies and minds can seemingly be overtaken by our offspring. How can we balance our need for personal space with the needs of our children?

'If love could have saved you, you'd have never left'

The words "spontaneous abortion" on the hospital paperwork really got to me. My baby died; I didn't spontaneously decide to abort him.

15 classic Aussie ads

Watch some of the classic Australian ads of the 80s, 90s and 00s, and remember the catchphrases and jingles we all used to know so well ...

For and against

Should Blue Ivy have been at the VMAs?

Many were quick to condemn Beyonce and Jay Z after appearing on stage at the MTV Video Music Awards with their two-year-old daughter, but others thought it was a sweet family moment. What do you think?

Toddler attacked at gym creche

Two-year-old girl Eva Ness was left with a black eye and bite marks on her face and body after an altercation with an older child at a health club's child-minding facilities. Now her parents are calling for the centre to be closed.

Pregnancy a tricky matter of timing for FIFO couples

Manipulating rosters, coordinating 'conjugal' visits, working on site with your partner; getting pregnant can prove stressful for FIFO workers.

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

Carseats have twice as many germs as a toilet

Most parents know their child's carseat is not always squeaky clean, but they might not realise just how dirty it really is.

Doctors remove foetus from 'medical marvel' after 36 years

Doctors in India have removed the skeleton of a foetus that had been inside a woman for 36 years.

Nine months in six seconds: new parents' Vine clip a hit

We?ve seen some memorable time-lapse pregnancy and birth announcement videos before. Now one new couple has taken it to the extreme, capturing it all in just a six-second Vine video.

Sonia Kruger speaks of baby joy

Celebrity mum-to-be Sonia Kruger has spoken candidly about using donor eggs and IVF to fall pregnant at age 48.

Dressing to not impress: life through the eyes of a three-year-old

When it comes to getting dressed, my three-year-old has only one criterion: ?I don?t want to look beautiful.? And now I've worked out why.

Special nappies made with love for angel babies

Angel Baby Nappies make and provide tiny bereavement cloth nappies for pre-term stillborn babies and premature babies who pass away in the NICU.

Inside the brain of a tantruming toddler

What's going on in your child's mind in the lead-up to a tantrum? And what?s the best way to respond?

5 secrets to a long-lasting relationship

When it comes to keeping your relationship strong, it?s what you do - and not what you want - that really matters.

When 'furbabies' meet real babies

I am obsessed with my dogs, and can't imagine loving them any less once my baby arrives. But that doesn't stop everyone from telling me I will.

The least popular baby names of 2013

Looking for a baby name that?s nowhere near the top 10 ? or even the top 1000? Try the bottom five.

'I was so sleep deprived I crashed my car'

There are no laws regulating driving while tired, but statistics show that driver fatigue is one of the top three contributors to the road toll.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Going viral

Weirdest pregnancy products

From pee stick keepers to stylish sick bags, there are some very strange inventions out there for pregnant women.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.