When your child moves out of home!
WWYD with their room?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 I'msoMerry

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:25 PM

So my DD (18) is moving out this weekend with his girlfriend. He has been away before for six months but that was at his fathers house and very different circumstances.

I never thought I would be ok with him going but he has caused us quite a bit of stress last year with job searching, cars. and other related teenager stuff. I am letting him take all of his bedroom furniture along with some towels and sheets and bits.

Would you keep your childs room as their room or turn it into something else? DH keeps bringing up that add an tv where the kid comes home and they have put a spa in his room, lol.

I am starting some study this year and want to put a desk in there for me but I feel guilty. I want my kids to know they always have a home here. WWYD?

Edited by michellew68, 23 January 2013 - 02:26 PM.

#2 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

We are looking at the prospect of DD moving out sometime in the forseeable future now she is 18. I think I would keep her room the same for a while as I can see her being a bit of a boomerang. In your case can you fit a desk in without completely taking over the whole room?

#3 opethmum

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:33 PM

I would put whatever takes your fancy and if it is a desk then so be it, no guilt needed. Don't keep a shrine to your son in there otherwise he might think that he has a free pass.
Your DS has made a decision with his life and you should encourage him to keep it on track. Make it known to your kids that your place is the last resort and that yes they are welcome to come home for dinner and whatnot but they are now adults and it is up to them to keep the roof over their heads now, not you.  
Your son is grown and you should bloody well celebrate and you should use your new room as a study to complete your dreams.
Good luck!!

#4 spellfall

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:38 PM

I moved out 2 years ago... My room is now an extended wardrobe for my sister / spare room / general storage room. Otherwise, it still looks the same and I have to admit I still keep a lot of stuff there.

If you are going to do something, I advise dpi g it ASAP or it may never happen!

#5 asdf89

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:40 PM

When my sisters and I moved out of home to start uni, we moved to a new town so mum kept our bedrooms as bedrooms so we'd have somewhere to stay on uni holidays.

If he's staying in the same town so won't need a bed when he comes to visit - go for it! My mum has since turned one of the bedrooms into a study, and another into a sewing room. The sewing room has got a futon in it, for guests.

#6 I'msoMerry

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:42 PM

I shouldnt feel guilty about it I know but I think there is a sadness that your once dependent little boy doesnt really need you anymore.

The room will be empty as he will take everything. It would be silly to leave it empty.

He is so loud and difficult with the rest of the family sometimes so I wont miss that. Especially dinner time. DH works nights so just DS (15) and DD (2) and me. So peaceful.

It is that little character that I watch in old videos and that mate I had through the single parent years that is gone now. It is accepting that your kids DO grow up. Now I have tears.  sad.gif

#7 Expelliarmus

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

My old room is the study original.gif all good original.gif

#8 kadoodle

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

My mum turned my old room into a guest room with an en suite.  But she left the posters on the wall.  I hope her guests like students politics and cartoons.

#9 sweetmango

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:49 PM

My poor children have never been able to keep there rooms because as a foster parent we always seem to need a spare bed! We always need an extra bedroom.

You could always put a day bed or sofa lounge in the room along with your desk.

#10 wilding

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

My room (sleepout attached to the garage) was converted into storage the moment I moved out, which to be honest made me feel like crap and unwanted. My brothers a few months later after he moved. My younger brother moved to uni 2 years ago and his room wasn't converted into anything.

I'll probably leave me son's room as it is.

#11 Lyn29

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:54 PM

Edited by bye, 29 March 2013 - 02:52 PM.

#12 julzely

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:00 PM

if he is taking all the furniture then there is no point having a completely empty room.

If you make it into a study with a desk and a couple of book cases it would still be able to put a bed back in there if he comes home.

#13 OscarAndTilly

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:00 PM

I keep joking that DD's room will become the Lego room but in reality I'd say that DS1 will move into there so the boys have their own rooms.

If she were to come back it would be easy enough to move boys back together.

#14 Foogle

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:02 PM

DSD's moved out (starting with the eldest 6 years ago) and then 2 years apart after that which only leaves DS home now.

DSD3 room - Lego room.  original.gif

DSD2 room - Star Wars/DS's computer room.

DSD1 room - Guest bedroom

They all come and stay (with their partners now) but not all together at the same time.  I reconfigured one room with two single beds and DS's bedroom with a captains bed and a trundle underneath.

If however, they all do arrive, then given the above, we also have the lounge-room suite which can sleep two adults and DS just bunks in with whatever sister he feels like on the night.

Re-configure your rooms to the way you would best use them on a day to day basis.  Solutions can always be found for when people stay over.  

#15 NunSoFeral

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:05 PM

QUOTE (michellew68 @ 23/01/2013, 02:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It is that little character that I watch in old videos and that mate I had through the single parent years that is gone now. It is accepting that your kids DO grow up. Now I have tears.  sad.gif

Me too.
cry1.gif

Edited by gettheetoanunnery, 23 January 2013 - 03:08 PM.

#16 Overtherainbow

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:10 PM

My parents turned our old rooms into a kid's bedroom, a couple's bedroom and a kid's playroom.  It makes it so easy for my siblings and I to return and visit.

I want our home always to be set up to be welcoming for our own children and guests so will probably do the same.  We have enough living areas that I have no need to turn them into more.

I would love to have it bed and breakfast style but for family and friends so we can supply them with a holiday when they need it.

We have family/friends from country/interstate use our home now as a base.  As long as we know which meals they'll be around for, they come and go as pleased.

#17 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:13 PM

Edited by lifehacker, 09 February 2013 - 10:13 PM.

#18 Funwith3

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

I moved out of home 9 years ago and my room at mum and dads is exactly as I left it!! They use it as a spare bedroom for guests.

I suppose as an 18 year old, it would be nice to know your room is there at home if and when things don't work out with your current venture. It's not like he's 25. At 18 there is a good chance he'll need to come back at some point.

#19 Propaganda

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:20 PM

My old bedroom is now set up a share bedroom for a small girl, with a girly single bed (my old one, actually, from when I was about 4), girly covers, and a whole bunch of toys.

My mother only has 2 grandchild, both girls. My room was quite large, so it works well, and it's where my child sleeps when she goes to visit overnight.

My brother's bedroom is just a generic spare room, set up for a single adult, with a few items neatly stored in there too.

I returned how for a few months after initially moving out, and I just used that small spare room with the bed it had in it. It was small and cramped, but it wasn't too bad. I wouldn't have expected my room to remain set up as it was when I was living there.

#20 Zesty

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

Since you will have no furniture in it, I would make it a study for you with the addition of a sofa bed or the like. Enjoy the extra space biggrin.gif

#21 mantilla

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:35 PM

OUr youngest son (now 22) has a sleep-out bedroom with small bathroom & since we moved here about 7 years ago had made it totally his "place".  He has moved out now 3 times in the past few years - once to NSW to work for his big OE (& was back 2 mths later lol) - but like the pp said, he is like a boomerang coming back.  I had made over his room for my craft room & it was to be my own retreat to be away from the phone etc but for the foreseeable future hes back.  His older brothers laugh as they both had left before they were 19 yrs- I guess he will leave finally but prob by then I will have dear Gchn to be coming to stay (from older brothers families).  I can see I wont be getting my dedicated sewing space any time soon.  original.gif

#22 roses99

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:51 PM

He's taking all his bedroom furniture? Then it's hardly going to be an option to leave his room 'as is', given that it'll be empty  wink.gif

I'd put a desk in there and a futon/sofabed. That way you get a study, but he still has a place to stay if he comes back.

#23 countrychic29

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

If he is taking his furniture, then no need to leave it set up.
When i left at 20 i took my furniture .. i had no bed at home, didnt bother me i choose to move in with DH i wasnt going back.
However my parents weekender is still set up as 'my room' some old furniture and my stuff still in draws. even though my mum now sleeps in there.

#24 Apageintime

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:06 PM

QUOTE (opethmum @ 23/01/2013, 03:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would put whatever takes your fancy and if it is a desk then so be it, no guilt needed. Don't keep a shrine to your son in there otherwise he might think that he has a free pass.
Your DS has made a decision with his life and you should encourage him to keep it on track. Make it known to your kids that your place is the last resort and that yes they are welcome to come home for dinner and whatnot but they are now adults and it is up to them to keep the roof over their heads now, not you.  
Your son is grown and you should bloody well celebrate and you should use your new room as a study to complete your dreams.
Good luck!!

I agree with this 100%!

#25 JustBeige

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:14 PM

QUOTE (Zesty @ 23/01/2013, 05:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Since you will have no furniture in it, I would make it a study for you with the addition of a sofa bed or the like. Enjoy the extra space biggrin.gif

This is what I would do too.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The mum who never met her baby

There was one more thing Kymberlie Shepherd wanted to experience in life - motherhood. But a rare illness took her first.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.