Birthing with an audience
Would you?

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 Reubsmum77

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-...nd-TV-crew.html

This lady had her midwife, husband, her children, mother, best friend, neighbours and TV crew around for her home birth!  Brave lady.  

Would you?

Personally, I like it just hubby and midwife...no one else.  original.gif

#2 Mille-Mille

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:20 PM

No way!

#3 statua angelam

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

I find the indignity of giving birth humiliating, and want as small an audience as possible!

#4 hanz33

never!

Hubby and me please wink.gif

#5 EuphoricDysphoria

I did but not arranged like that lol

Two midwives, the OB, four student Dr's, two nurses from the ICU(we were both in severe trouble at the time and too far along to do a CS), the anaesthetist who did my epidural plus my SIL up the business end and my DH holding my hand.

I was too out of it to care and in the undignified position of legs in the stirrups so couldn't really run away from it lol

#6 meljb

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

I find the indignity of giving birth humiliating, and want as small an audience as possible!

This!

#7 Old Grey Mare

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:27 PM

I think by the time you are giving birth it doesn't really matter who is there. I was not aware of anyone except myself and the Dr.

#8 Regular Show

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:28 PM

Um..... .hell.no

#9 bakesgirls

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:32 PM

Not if I had any choice in it! I wouldn't be keen on inviting everyone in to watch.

With DD1, after giving birth I required stitches. The doctor who was doing it asked if I minded if some students came in to watch, so I said that was fine. Next thing I knew, the room was full, there were around 20 people in there. Lucky for him I was too exhausted to tell them all to f*** off.

DD2 was 3 attempts at ventouse, then 2 attempts at forceps, she was born on the third attempt. There was me (obviously), DH, 3 midwives, the anaesthetist, paediatrician and his helper, the obstitrician and two of her registrars, and a couple of other people that I wasn't sure who they were, so again , I had a room full.

DD3 was just me, DH a midwife and the OB. DH was the one who actually delivered DD as she came so quickly that no one was able to put gloves on in time. That was the perfect birth for me. It was lovely having few people in there and felt far less clinical.

#10 SnazzySass

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:32 PM

I might not have a TV camera crew lol but I do feel that birth should be about my family welcoming the new baby to its very first birthday party. I had my son in hospital and had my mum, my aunt and my partner all touching me the whole way through. When I was in early labour at home they all chatted while I did my thing and I would join in when I could. For my next birth I am having a home birth and because I am not restricted by the hospital I will have my friends and my family and of course DS. I saw my brother being born and it remains one of the high points of my life and one of my most beautiful  memories that I take out to make me feel better when I am feeling down because I can't help but feel better when I remember such a life affirming thing.

#11 Alina0210

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:41 PM

With my last homebirth i had:
Me
Husband
Midwife
Backup Midwife
Doula
Student Midwife
Chiropactor
Cousin
Friend - who hadnt seen a birth before, she had only had ceasers
Sister in Law
my 2 kids (age at the time 5 and 2)

Everyone had a job to do, and it was lovelly... surprised everyone got there in time as it was a very quick birth.

#12 JuniPooks_

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:46 PM

Not in a billion years. Frankly I would have been happy to be alone for it.

#13 *~dee~*

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

I had my mum, 3 sisters, Dr, 2 midwives, student Dr and DD's dad would have been welcome too if he had have turned up! I had an unusual shaped uterus and huge baby, so had student Dr's and midwives popping in throughout my 24 hour ordeal.

#14 BreezaH

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:52 PM

My 2nd birth had a few more than I expected. Because my 1st had 3rd degree tearing, it was carefully managed so I wouldn't tear down the same line, but worse. Both were precipitate deliveries so just before I was ready to push out DS2, the head midwife asked me if I'd mind a pair of paramedics observing as a "class" to show them the best way to manage a speedy birth to try and avoid severe tearing in women who deliver on the way to hospital. So I also had those 2 observing closely (and I do mean closely) and a paed because DS2's heartrate was all over the place and he was distressed. They warned me before he was born that he would be going straight to the paed.

So it was me, DH, 2 midwives, a nurse, a paediatric registrar and 2 paramedics. Far more crowded than I ever expected. It was also kind of fitting, because the way my births go, I might BE that woman in the ambulance one day!

#15 FrogIsAFrogIsAFrog

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:53 PM

Not my style!  

Having said that, when I'm in labour I have very little care factor as to what is going on around me.

#16 Bluenomi

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

I prefered as few people as possible and there was no chance of any type of recording device being allowed near me. Mum was glad that I didn't ask her to be there, she said being at her own births was enough and I agree!

#17 Cacti

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

I wouldn't plan for it, but I think there were at least 6 other people in the room when I gave birth (I have no idea how many there actually were - 6 is the minimum) so I guess I did have an audience. At that point though, I was happy for the whole hospital to come crowding in if it meant that baby arrived safely (which he did).

#18 Spring Chickadee

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:10 PM

I had a drug free birth in a private hospital, it was a 38 hour labour mostly at home. The experience was an intense and beautiful one, you really surrender all control. For me I needed privacy to focus on my breathing.

midwives, talking, sounds etc were all distractions that needed to be kept minimal. so for me having all those people would be my worst nightmare!

#19 opethmum

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

I had 2 x c/s so a whole theatre full of people but in my eyes it was the OB, DH, Me and bubs.

#20 MrsSmith247

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

My hospital only allows 2 support people, but if I had a choice Id love my husband, mum, 2 sisters, and my husband's nan to be there. Only problem is they're the only ones Id leave DD with.

#21 glowlight

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

No way! My in laws showed up uninvited so I reluctantly called my mum too so she wouldn't get upset. Thankfully the midwife kicked everyone out after I had an epidiural and I gave birth in peace with DH, MW and OB a couple of hours later. Strict instructions for next time not to let anyone in!

#22 axiomae

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:24 PM

DD came so quickly and no one was expecting that the midwife wasn't even in the room! Baby was out and it was just DP and I, then the midwife and student midwife when we managed to alert them! I arrived at the hospital at 6cm and within an hour had DD!

#23 CallMeProtart

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:24 PM

You know, DH fell asleep when I was in labour, and my dad was on hand to pass me drinks but I couldn't really ask him for a massage, and the midwife was mean. It was quite a lonely experience.  
I think I would have quite liked more people around to cater to my whims, keep me distracted, generally fuss over me, etc.

Of course, they'd have had to be people who were focused solely on ME and my welfare/pleasure/entertainment, and they would have had to be people who would not annoy me. Unfortunately I did not know any of these!

#24 Propaganda

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:23 PM

I would happily have anyone who I knew wouldn't irritate me attend.

That counts out all inlaws, any siblings and their partners. I plan to have at least my midwife, mother, husband and child all in attendance. I have even spoken of perhaps hiring someone to film it for me, so that's another person. If I have a close best friend who I believe will be of support to me, I'd have her along too without any problems.

I have no real issues with people watching me in that situation unless I think they'll hinder my progress by being a nuisance.

#25 Leggy

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

I'd have no trouble with my DP, mum, sister, student dr/nurses/midwives, and some close friends. Not sure about the TV crew though! As for older kids, it would depend on how old, and how they had responded to discussions and possibly youtube videos before the event.

ETA in fact they could fill the whole room up with student practitioners if they wanted to, they have to learn somewhere and I'm  lucky enough to not be uncomfortable with bodily processes, even the extreme ones.

Edited by Leggy, 23 January 2013 - 04:37 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Britain's youngest parents: mother 12, father 13

A 12-year-old schoolgirl and her 13-year-old boyfriend are believed to have become Britain?s youngest parents, after the birth of their baby girl earlier this week.

When Prince George met Bilby George

Prince George has met an Aussie marsupial named after him in his first official engagement in Australia.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Pregnant woman dies after doctor removes ovary instead of appendix

When a UK woman went to hospital suffering appendicitis, doctors mistakenly removed her healthy ovary - with tragic consequences.

The milestones I can't wait to celebrate

Nothing can beat the feeling of witnessing that first smile, first step and first word - but here's a list of 'firsts' I'm really looking forward to now.

How you develop in your baby's first year

Just as babies undergo rapid growth as they learn and change in their first year, we?re learning and changing quickly as parents, too. Don?t underestimate the developmental stages you go through when you have a baby.

Can you make your baby smarter even before birth?

A product new to Australia claims to help babies be born "as intelligent as possible", but not all experts agree on the benefits of educating babies while still in the womb.

How a mother's love helped unearth the skills of an autistic savant

Autistic savant Ping Lian Yeak, a prodigious artist who has had his work shown all over the world, couldn't have done it without the support and love of his proud mum.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

A tiny heart: a baby?s death gives life to another

Simon Alexander Garcia lived only one brief hour. But somewhere, a little girl?s heart is beating today because of him.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Why is childbirth still such a pain?

The options given to women to help them cope in labour have barely changed in years.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.