Returning for refund - sale items
Is this allowed?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 ~zael~

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:21 PM

Hi,

Bought 2 pairs of Lynx school shoes for the kids on 10th January at $59.99 each.  Both pairs are unworn, as new condition.  Walking past today, they are now on sale buy one pair, second pair half price.  Should I return for a refund and get back $30 when i purchase them again, or is that scabby?  And, is it allowed?  Receipt says they can be returned for refund within 30 days as long as they are unworn etc, I just want to make sure I will be able to purchase the same shoes?

Thanks original.gif

#2 EsmeLennox

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:25 PM

I think it will depend on the store. At a store like KMart etc you'd probably be able to do it. At a smaller store I doubt it.

Why do people do this though? I always think suck it up, you purchased the item when you purchased it, if it comes on sale a short while later that's just one of those 'crap happens' moments.

#3 Nepheline

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:30 PM

I'd probaly do it but not in one transaction! As in I'd return the shoes for the refund one day, and pop back on another to get the half price deal.

#4 ~kacee~

QUOTE (Jemstar @ 23/01/2013, 01:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why do people do this though?

Uh, to save money?

I would try it, for $30, if you can be bothered!

#5 katbalou

In my experience, stores refund based on the price it is when it is returned, not the price it is when purchased.  Which means it wouldn't be worth your while.

#6 CallMeFeral

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

Slightly scabby, but you can give it a go and see.

I'm not sure why the consumer should have to 'suck it up, crap happens' as opposed to the retailer. Not saying the retailer should either - just not sure why the assumption is that it's the consumer who has to.

#7 CallMeFeral

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:32 PM

QUOTE (katbalou @ 23/01/2013, 02:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In my experience, stores refund based on the price it is when it is returned, not the price it is when purchased.  Which means it wouldn't be worth your while.

I think this is usually only if you don't have a receipt. If you have a receipt, you can prove what you bought it for and they should refund that.

#8 Leafprincess

In this circumstance, They aren't obliged to give you a refund under the ACCC guidelines

Edited by Leafprincess, 23 January 2013 - 01:32 PM.

#9 9ferals

You may find that they only refund the new sale price - so you wouldn't gain anything.  I think this would depend on the store, but I've experienced this at one of the large chain stores, Target I think.
And you would need to know that they have the shoe you want in the size you need - this could backfire on you!

I tend to agree with Jemstar, it's annoying but you just have to live with it.

#10 NunSoFeral

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

Couldn't see why you couldn't return for refund and repurchase?
Regardless of store size.
I bet you are not the only one to do this at that particular store.
As for scabby - not in my opinion.
I would think it more savvy.

Stores MUST refund the full amount paid at time of purchase.

#11 vanessa71

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

QUOTE (Rubybelle @ 23/01/2013, 02:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You may find that they only refund the new sale price - so you wouldn't gain anything.

If it says on the docket that she has 30 days to return, she would have to be refunded what she paid, not what they are on special for now.

I would find it a PITA to do and would probably ask the store just to give you a refund on what you would save if you returned the shoes and purchased them again first, it would make things easier for both of you.

Edited by vanessa71, 23 January 2013 - 01:38 PM.

#12 EsmeLennox

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:38 PM

The consumer should suck it up because the item was not on sale when they chose to purchase it. What, should retailers now have to inform customers that an item will come on sale within the next week? It is life, this kind of thing happens all the time.

And retailers don't have to refund at all just for 'change of mind' (unless they state that they will on their docket etc) and in this case, it's not even change of mind, it's 'bugger I should have waited a week to buy those shoes, and now I feel hard done by.'

Edited by Jemstar, 23 January 2013 - 01:41 PM.

#13 ellebelle

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

I have found in these situations that if you go back with the items and the receipt and explain the situation, some chain type stores will just honour the special and refund the difference without making out that you are returning them and then repurchasing them. It's not worth their while getting in a bun fight about it.

#14 captain crunch

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

You are in your rights to go back and ask for a refund. you have receipt and are in original condition, you will get the full amoutn of what you paid back.

However.

The store can then choose to put those items away "out the back" and Not include them in the sale. meaning if they are the last sizes/styles you want you wouldn't be able to repurchase them. This is how they try to stop people doing what you're doing.

It most cases they won't and they'lll be annoyed but will proabbly just do it.

I would go in and but another set of the shoes at sale price (hopefully that have your size/style) and then immediatly or the next day, return your orignal pairs for full price,

#15 CallMeFeral

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:51 PM

QUOTE (Jemstar @ 23/01/2013, 02:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The consumer should suck it up because the item was not on sale when they chose to purchase it. What, should retailers now have to inform customers that an item will come on sale within the next week?

Or: the retailer should have to suck it up because it's still within the returns period. Nobody said they should inform her - though that would be polite - but it's within her rights to do the returns thing.

Again, if it's within the terms of the returns policy, I'm not sure why the assumption is that the consumer should be the one to suck it up.

#16 tibs

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

QUOTE (captain crunch @ 23/01/2013, 02:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You are in your rights to go back and ask for a refund. you have receipt and are in original condition, you will get the full amoutn of what you paid back.

However.

The store can then choose to put those items away "out the back" and Not include them in the sale. meaning if they are the last sizes/styles you want you wouldn't be able to repurchase them. This is how they try to stop people doing what you're doing.

It most cases they won't and they'lll be annoyed but will proabbly just do it.

I would go in and but another set of the shoes at sale price (hopefully that have your size/style) and then immediatly or the next day, return your orignal pairs for full price,

Yes this.  Definitely go in and make sure they have the sizes/styles you need before you return because they are entited to take returned items off the floor for a period of time presumably to stop this kind of thing.

#17 ~zael~

For what it's worth, the store I purchased them from is Williams, so they are a chain.  Meh, I'm going to give it go, and just ask for a refund of the difference.  If they gey shirty, I'll get my refund and buy them elsewhere.  Theses shoes are a dime a dozen, I don't think it would make much sense for them to not allow me to re purchase them.  I bought the velcro shoes and think I should have bought the lace ups (same price) as my 8 year old still can't tie her laces, and will never learn if I don't buy lace ups eventually so I may just refund and purchasse those instead. original.gif

#18 Julie3Girls

Not something I would do personally, but I'd guess they can't stop you.  Although I'd probably do what the PP suggested, if I was really needing that $30 price difference.

would go in and but another set of the shoes at sale price (hopefully that have your size/style) and then immediatly or the next day, return your orignal pairs for full price

It's actually a good idea to keep an eye on things like the back to school shoe sales, notice the timing. Because they will probably do similar sales next year.  I always wait for the sales before I buy the girls' school shoes.

#19 Oriental lily

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

No the shop does NOT have to get a refund.

I really wish people would learn their consumer rights before giving out ill informed advice.

The only time a refund needs to be given is if the item is faulty or does not live up to description or purpose.

Not for changing of mind.
Not for wrong size

Certainly not for item now being on sale.

This does not mean that good customer service will not allow refunds for these reasons, but they don't have to,even with a receipt or how much you throw a tanty.

Op I would not ask.

But you can ask, just don't expect or demand it.

#20 katbalou

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

What if I change my mind? Can I get a refund?

No. The consumer guarantees do not require a seller to give you a refund if you change your mind and decide that you don’t like or need the goods or discover that the goods are cheaper elsewhere.

from ACCC website

If the particular store you are referring to has a unrestricted refund policy, you may be lucky, but they are under no obligation to refund you at all.

#21 EsmeLennox

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

Even if the store has a 'change of mind' refund policy (and this store does, I checked) what the OP wants to do is not a 'change of mind'. She hasn't changed her mind, she just wants to get the shoes at the now cheaper price. It does not fit the terms of the returns policy.

#22 darcswan

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

QUOTE (Oriental lily @ 23/01/2013, 02:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I really wish people would learn their consumer rights before giving out ill informed advice.

The only time a refund needs to be given is if the item is faulty or does not live up to description or purpose.

Not for changing of mind.
Not for wrong size

Certainly not for item now being on sale.

This does not mean that good customer service will not allow refunds for these reasons, but they don't have to,even with a receipt or how much you throw a tanty.

Op I would not ask.

But you can ask, just don't expect or demand it.

Untwist those knickers - Kmart has a return policy that goes above and beyond their legislated obligations.  That policy now forms part of the 'contract of sale', so they must abide by it.

Kmart offer flexible returns because it reduces the barriers to people purchasing (don't worry, you can just bring it back if you change your mind!)  Their data shows that once people buy, they are less likely to return, so it makes financial sense for them.

If you read the fine print, they do say they reserve the right to refuse change of mind purchases, but as the OP meets their criteria, its unlikely they would.

OP, I wouldn't go in asking for a refund of the difference.  I would return the shoes and repurchase.  Lots of people do it... The staff will probably roll their eyes, but who cares what they think anyway? wink.gif

Edited by darcswan, 23 January 2013 - 02:20 PM.

#23 CallMeFeral

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:18 PM

QUOTE (Oriental lily @ 23/01/2013, 02:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The OP stated in her first post that there was a 30 day refund policy stated on the receipt.
Nobody is saying she's entitled to it by law - she's entitled to it because it is their policy.

Actually, just everything darcswan said.

QUOTE (Jemstar @ 23/01/2013, 03:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Even if the store has a 'change of mind' refund policy (and this store does, I checked) what the OP wants to do is not a 'change of mind'. She hasn't changed her mind, she just wants to get the shoes at the now cheaper price. It does not fit the terms of the returns policy.

She's changed her mind about the price she's willing to pay for it wink.gif

#24 Oriental lily

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

Store policy is not the law.
Some stores try and say that you can have no refund on sale items. Which is a load of crappolla if item is faulty or damaged.
They MUST give a refund and have the law to back them up.

And since the shoes were not bought at Kmart, wat do they have to do with anything?

It used to be that the big department stores would give cash refunds with no receipt.
They now will only give store credit.

Stores policies can change from month to month .

The law is not so easily changed.

So basically store policies mean nothing if they are not also backed by legislation.

So my post was referring to previous posters saying to get a refund and repurchase as its their rightto get a refund.

When it's not and creates misleading expectation that can lead to an ugly confrontation.
Which is not fair on the salesperson needing to deal wth misled people.

#25 CallMeFeral

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:27 PM

QUOTE (Oriental lily @ 23/01/2013, 04:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Store policy is not the law.

So my post was referring to previous posters saying to get a refund and repurchase as its their rightto get a refund.

Nobody has argued store policy to be the law - straw man there.

However it IS her right to obtain a refund if that is the stated store policy under which she bought the shoes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

Toddler freed after getting trapped in escalator

A shopping centre escalator needed to be pulled apart to free a toddler's trapped hand.

Why I'm kind of excited about my daughter's nits

Is it weird to say that I am secretly thrilled to find that my daughter Edie has nits?

Baby born at 10:11 on 12-13-14

Well, it's actually 13-12-14 to us over here. But still, Clare Elizabeth Keane's consecutive numerical birth time is pretty special.

On holding tightly and loving fiercely

We can't live in fear. This post is about Christmas and how at this time we should be celebrating life and grateful for what we have: our loved ones who we cherish fiercely.

Babies, relatives and coping with Christmas day

Everyone will love your baby but your baby may not be so happy to be passed around a lot of new people - nor may you want to feed with an audience.

Why I won't be posting pictures of my baby on Facebook

There are pros and cons to this policy.

The myths and truths of gender swaying

Here are a few popular methods hopeful parents-to-be use to try to get a baby of their preferred gender – and what an expert says about whether they really work.

10 easy DIY Christmas decoration ideas

It's officially time to get into the Christmas spirit. Why not branch out when you put up your tree this year and add a personal touch with a few DIY decorations? We've found the perfect easy-to-make ways to put more festive fever into your home.

The dangerous new trend of glucose challenge test refusal

A dangerous trend is seeing more mothers-to-be declining a relatively simple and painless test to check for gestational diabetes.

Office of Fair Trading reveals naughty toys ahead of Christmas

The Office of Fair Trading has pulled seven toys from shelves ahead of Christmas after they fail safety tests.

Video: Baby boy's trouble with twins

These twin girls will no doubt have fun fooling people in years to come, but nobody will be as confused as baby Landon.

Long-term reversible male contraceptive on its way

Men could soon have access to an injectable long-term contraceptive which works in a similar way to a vasectomy but promises to be easily reversed.

'I tried to kill my baby': one mum's story

After bathing and dressing her three-month-old son, Amanda had a rare moment alone with her baby.

Attack of the 'mummy brain'

I feel that almost every day, someone in my life - be they a friend, family member or complete stranger - feels the need to excuse my behaviour as I have other things on my mind.

Mum of baby who fell ill after drinking raw milk speaks out

A Melbourne mother has described how her son turned grey when he became seriously ill after drinking raw milk.

Australian divorce rate lowest since 1976

Modern newlyweds are now well into their 30s and marriage still offers something powerful a new book argues.

The aftermath of a traumatic birth experience

In Australia, 30 per cent of women find their birth experience traumatic, with 6 per cent going on to develop post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Young mum burns 'from inside-out'

A young mum is in intensive care after she took a friend's antibiotic and wound up with an ailment that is burning her body 'from the inside-out'.

The disagreement that can break a relationship

If he doesn't change his mind, all I can hope is that I will. It would be a waste to spend the rest of my marriage mourning a baby that never was.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Co-sleeping or no-sleeping? Mum videos worst nap ever

One mother's futile attempt to sleep in caught on camera in a hilarious - and very cute - video.

Why children misbehave during the festive season

While we all like to imagine the holiday season as being a fun, loving and bonding experience; often our reality is quiet different.

I was fat-shamed by my doctor

The fear of being weighed is the most significant factor in women cancelling medical appointments - and now weight-shaming has happened to me.

End of an era: no more childcare

As we reach the end of 2014, we're closing the book on many things for another year, most notably childcare. Our last child has attended childcare for the very last time.

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

The 7-year itch is more like the 10-year itch: study

Contrary to popular belief, making it past the seven-year mark doesn't mean your marriage will be smooth sailing from there on.

Should children be forced to sit on Santa's lap?

We teach kids it’s okay to say no if they don’t feel safe, so why do some parents force their children to climb in to Santa's lap?

Stop telling us that parenting gets harder

I’m sure that parenting will get harder. But life isn’t exactly smooth sailing for many of us right now, either.

Baby born weighing almost 14 pounds

Yes, the bouncing baby girl was born by caesarean section. And mum says no more kids.

The dummy debate

I'm the first to admit that when I used to see tiny babies with dummies in their mouths, I thought "Hmm, lazy parenting." And now I apologise.

'I thought I was an only child'

Imagine meeting your double at a school sports event, or regularly being mistaken for someone you haven't met. Separated twins Margaret and Joy tell their story.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

As Sydney grieves the loss of Sydney siege victims Katrina Dawson and Tori Johnson, reports have suggested that both died as heroes.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.