Overwhelming choice of nappies!

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 RellBell

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:53 AM

I'm in my second trimester, and just like my pregnancy book says - everyone will start having an opinion on my parenting - already. I get judged for having the odd coffee once a week (which I wouldn't if it wasn't safe), I get asked about breastfeeding, and now nappies "will you use cloth or disposable?"

I honestly didn't think this was an issue, I thought it was personal preference. But when I instantly reacted with "disposable, I don't need all that extra washing" - I got "I did it with twins...", and "disposable nappies are just money in the bin". Oh dear, so now i'm lazy and I waste money.

But seeing as I know nothing about nappies - I looked into it. Modern cloth look nice, but are SO expensive for the outlay (I know its cheaper in the long run and even more so if you have more children - but we only intend on having one, so I can't factor that in to the price".

Then there's the old school terry squares (the ones I wore as a kid), and now you can get flushable liners, just peel out the liner and flush it down the toilet. But you need to change these more often to prevent happy rash.

I'm actually leaning towards using the terry cloths in the day time when baby is at home and maybe disposables when we go out (to make things easier)... Maybe even investing in a few modern cloths to see what they are like? And switching to modern cloth and disposables when I go back to work to make everything easier.

Has anyone actually gone the terry square route by choice? Or even modern cloth? Was it a lot of extra work for you? Did you find it was effective?

Pregnant woman just trying to get organised here original.gif

#2 spottydog

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:24 AM

You can ge MCNs second hand, in great condition cheap, you can get china cheapies, which are around $40 for 10 nappies, in the long run you will save a heap. If you wash them according to instructions you can keep them looking good and even resell them when you are finished.

You can get sized ones, or OSFM, which would work out cheaper too.

Good luck.

spotty.

#3 salti

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:31 AM

I'd suggest waiting until you have had bub and settled in. You can use Terry squares if you want to use cloth from the get go or just use disposables until you are ready.  There are many nappy librarys these days so you can trial nappies before buying.
Heres one:
http://babymumma.com.au/nappy-library/
Or buy a couple of trial packs from a couple of suppliers and go from there.
Don't overthink it cos it is a maze of choices! Good luck

#4 TotesFeral

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:34 AM

You don't need to buy the most expensive MCNs.
I have a few expensive ones but majority of my stash is made up of cheaper brands. I originally bought 24 of the cheap brand and it cost me $240. They are still going strong on our second child but are starting to look like they will need new inserts but they are not very expensive.

I've also got a heap of terry towelling nappies but I can never get the fold right  laughing2.gif

So we use MCNs during the day but disposable overnight. Also tend to use disposable if I'm going to be out the majority of the day as MCNs take up a bit of space in the nappy bag. I've done holidays with MCNs though.
They are not an extra lot of work like some will make you believe. I wash them every second/third day depending on how full the nappy bin is. Hang them out and bring them back in just like I do with our other washing.

#5 I'mBeachedAs

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:35 AM

I use terry squares for my 6 week old son. I don't find them hard to use or wash. Cheap as chips to buy, quick to dry. Perfect for us!

#6 babycat

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:36 AM

I used disposables with my first two, but am going to cloth nappy my twins.  I've got flat terry squares with covers and a friend is giving me some fitted nappies to try.  I've also bought some MCN's to try and will decide what works once they arrive.  It may be more work washing etc, but I can't justify or afford the cost of disposables for twins (plus a 2 year old).

#7 Lorem ipsum

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:45 AM

It is great that you're thinking about using cloth, but really I think it is one of those things you have to want to do. If you are going to be doing it for others then you may find it difficult  to stick with it.

Having said that I have been using cloth full time from birth (DS almost 4 months) and I really haven't found it that much work. An extra load of washing every 2 days and a bit of time to peg them out and fold them.

Personally I do it for environmental reasons. But I am the only person I know irl that is using them. So don't worry about being judged for using disposables.

PP suggestion of osfm is good if you do decide on using mcns

#8 purple_daisy

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:45 AM

I bought 4 new MCNs from ebay sellers before DD was born but as the newborn weeks were very overwhelming I used disposables for the first 8 weeks to give myself some breathing space.

I then tried the MCNs and also terry squares. I found the terry squares were terrible for DD as she was a very heavy wetter. By comparison, the MCNs (I used itti bitti tuttos - the one size that goes from birth up to toilet training) worked like a dream. So I was glad I hadn't gone overboard buying terry squares/covers/liners/pins etc.

It will of course depend on your child and whether you are happy handling the terry squares - personally, I found them a bit yucky whereas the MCNs had a dry cover to hold onto, but that might just have been because of DD's heavy wetting.

I would recommend buying a couple of MCNs (maybe 3 or 4) off ebay so it is cheaper from different brands. Then wait and see what you like, but don't worry if you need to have a couple of months using disposables till you feel ready to cope with the washing etc.

Good luck, and maybe next time someone is being critical of your nappy choice you could just say that you don't believe in nappies and will let your child run free Tounge1.gif that should keep them guessing!!

#9 Guest_Dinah_Harris_*

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:46 AM

I have some BumGenius all-in-ones (wash them in machine,  hang them out to dry and that's it) that I have for sale.
PM me if you are interested, ill send some photos. happy.gif

#10 Furfeathersfleece

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:51 AM

I used terry squares for the first 7 months (we've been temporarily living at my parents house while ours is being sold so have switched to disposable temporarily for convenience).

I used terrys with a disposable liner from big w and baby beehinds cover and snappis. Worked a treat! Never had nappy rash but they do get wet a bit quicker than disposables so need more frequent changing. Not hard to put on, means an extra load of washing every couple days but otherwise I think they're a great way of doing nappies.

#11 GoodGollyMolly

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:03 AM

And they don't work out cheaper when you get addicted to buying them and end up with 50+ of them  ph34r.gif

There are cheap ways to try though and you might surprise yourself at how easy they are.

And they're pretty cute too  wink.gif

#12 Le-a

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:19 AM

I have never payed full-price for any of my stash! most of the big name brands have great sales regularly, sock slowly built up my nappy drawer over time. Most were around 50% off...

I have all OSFM nappies, from about four different companies. They all use different systems, so I've found certain nappies more useful for certain situations. If DS is due for a poo I'll put him in a cushie tushie, if he's just had a big drink, I'll put him in an Itti bitti, for example. I've found this mix of nappies quite beneficial.

#13 Akeyo

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:34 AM

As not all MCNs suit all babies, I would wait till after your baby comes before building up a stash if you decide to go down the cloth route. I used terry squares initially with DS1 with a flushable liner and a PUL cover and that was fine. It's standard issue in the hospital so I had had a bit of practice before I came home. Then as PP have suggested, I got a couple of trial packs - one from Baby Beehinds and another from Mandy Mac - and worked out what fit best and went from there.

The bonus of terry squares is the quick drying time but they are nowhere near as absorbent as MCNs so there is a higher turnover.

Personally I've actually found Mandy Mac nappies the best for us - they are made of bamboo so super absorbent and you can get as snug a fit as you need for a tiny little newborn to a strapping toddler. And of course, the one size fits all is very economical.

As PP have said, you don't need to spend a fortune (but it is possible because it can be addictive!)

Good luck with whatever path you choose. Remember, whatever works!

#14 raone

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:42 AM

I would buy newborn at lest for the hospital. (My hospital you had to as they didn't provide them or have cleaning facilities.) I also bought terry flats and about 8 covers. First of all don't trust the sizing as even at the right weight DS was too small. Also DS would flood them each time he peed. I would end up changing the bed everytime. I could probably do it now as he doesn't always do one big pee at once (he is 5 months) and I would love to it's just getting the motivation to try again. wink.gif

#15 RellBell

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:44 AM

I want to do it to save money, but the environment would be an added bonus!

I'm thinking I might do as PP said and keep the first few weeks in disposables - not to overwhelm myself and DP. We'll be pretty buggered. In the lead up to baby I will buy a couple of terry toweling squares and a few different cloth nappies (in a small size) so I can try these with bub. From my research i'm liking the look of GroVia, Hippybottomus, and there's also a place on gumtree called Ozzybots (GroVia has really good reviews, and the other two are home made and very reasonably priced). Then there's others like Peapods, Itti bitti, Baby Beehinds, Cushie tushies. From all the reviews i've read, there's no "perfect" nappy - it must just depend on the baby. Really hoping one of the $10 - $15 nappies works better on mine than the $30 ones!!

I personally don't know a single person who uses modern cloth nappies (I know one lady who uses terry squares), so i'm taking a stab in the dark here!

#16 Le-a

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:56 AM

Sounds like a great plan, OP. you won't know until you've given it a go!

I had plenty of people poo-poo the idea when I asked about it when I was pregnant. Most of them hadn't even tried MCNs! How would they know?

I know plenty of people who use MCNs now, but I do live in a pretty alternative community. It's actually a great conversation starter, I've found. "hey, that's a cool nappy, what is it? Do you rate them?". Lol, nappy gags.

All the best!

#17 RellBell

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:02 AM

It's such a pity that I can't just buy them now - I wanted to get all my baby costs out of the way, but I guess if I just put money aside it should be fine original.gif

#18 Le-a

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:09 AM

Seriously, I would keep an eye on the websites for sales. NEVER pay full price! Some even 'run out' nappies made from a certain colour/pattern cloth- just because it's being replaced/old stock.

#19 RellBell

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:16 AM

Thanks, i'll keep an eye out original.gif

I can't believe how much some of those cloth nappies cost though. At that sky high price, I wonder how much money they can actually save you on one child.

#20 Koobie83

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:35 AM

Disposables for me....
I thought about the cloth ones but knowing me, my DH and our lifestyle I don't think it would suit. I know it's probably not good for the environment but I don't want to muck around all day with nappy buckets and putting loads and loads in the washing machine.

#21 ras500

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:54 PM

There are also quite a few MCN buy swap and sell facebook groups where you can get real bargains

#22 monkeys mum

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:23 AM

If you are doing it for the money saving aspect then go fitted OSFM- one size fits most. Some that I have used and found good were Baby Beehinds, Mandy Macs, MM have one of the best fits imo as it does up with a snappi instead of snaps or velcro. MM's dry quickly too and by buying them in bulk you save more money. BB's can be bought in bulk too and the hemp dries quickly but the bamboo ones are much more absorbent so great for night time use.

I have used terry squares and loved the bat fold for my boy and used it quite a bit before he was walking as they are quite bulky. I also used a snappi as i found they did up more securely and my older brother accidently got pierced by a neighbour when he was a baby.

Another thing you can do to make the terry squares more absorbant is to use a 'booster' in it. I did this by making my own, i bought a meter or two of bamboo fleece and sewed two layers together in a rectangle, and if you want it that bit more absorbant put a layer or microfibre between the two layers of bamboo.

Other then sales the Baby expo often has good nappy retailers who also give a show special price.

Covers, i found baby beehind covers were best for both fitted nappies and terry squares.

I also agree that using sposies in the first few weeks or till bub out grows newborn is a great idea. Get used to becoming a Mum and bubs settled into a better routine before adding more to your day. Saying that though mcns really dont add much more.

I haven't used cloth in quite a few years so am just going to go with the nappy makers that i used back then, and not get into the wahm makers who make the gorgeous nappies as then i'll not only spend too much but also might get too many that don't work well for my baby.

#23 NicolinaO

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:43 PM

I bought a whole stash on ebay dirt cheap. best buy I ever made. the stash included a few mcn's which the hubby uses. I use the oldfasioned rectangular ones (can't remember what they are called again). I use them + fleece liner + snappy + pul-cover. works a treat.

I did however use disposables right from the start to make it easier on myself, and as I had to bring disposables to the hospital and also as I was given a few packets.

I find cloth not all that much work and I think DS seems to get a little irritated in disposables.

#24 PurpleNess

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:51 PM

I use both. I found MCN's weren't right for my newbie so I used disposables in the early days.

Then I bought some second hand Peapods & now use those when we are at home but still use disposables if going out for longer than an hour & overnight.

I tried MCN's overnight & DS just got really bad nappy rash so back to sposies we went.

It is saving us money & I only spent $100 on 15 second hand nappies and do a wash every second day on a short hot wash.

Try a few, ask around ( its SO confusing with all the lingo!), get some second hand, plenty of FB pages selling MCN's and see how they go with you & your bub...

#25 PatG

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:10 PM

Don't forget prefolds as an alternative to terry squares....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Teaching our son to say no to violence against women

Today, on White Ribbon Day - and every other day - we're teaching our son to say no to violence against women.

Mothers told to breastfeed in 'spacious' toilet

If there is one thing the owners of Tillings Cafe can be certain of, it is that the eatery won't win the award for Britain's best baby-friendly coffee shop any time soon.

Mother gives name to son dumped down drain

A woman who admitted to dumping her newborn baby down a Sydney drain has reportedly been allowed to give him a name.

Taking small steps to reduce stress

Are you feeling used up by life's stress, family problems and a demanding job you can't turn off? Many people are way beyond work-life exhaustion. They are functioning as robots.

Bad news: we're running out of chocolate

The world's biggest chocolate-maker says we're running out of chocolate.

Born at 23 weeks, 'Chopstick Baby' survives first week

A baby who was born at 23 weeks has survived her first week of life outside the womb.

Manic stations: the nesting instinct in pregnancy

It might sound like temporary insanity, but almost obsessive nesting as you near your due date isn’t uncommon – even if you’re not usually a particularly clean person.

How a baby can survive alone for days on end

The baby found abandoned in a Sydney drain may have been alone for up to six days without being fed, leaving many asking how he could have survived.

When it begins to look a lot like Christmas

A child's excitement at Christmas time is a beautiful thing, but one dad ponders whether his toddler daughter is getting into the festive mood a bit too soon.

Hospital lets dads the experience some of the pain of childbirth

A new experience is radically altering men's views of childbirth.

Italian doctors questioned over formula bribes

Italian police have placed 12 doctors under house arrest on suspicion of promoting baby milk formula over breastfeeding.

Heartwarming prank gives single mum the house she was hired to clean

Cara Simmons arrived at work to clean a large and beautiful house in time for a party planned for that evening. It was soon hers.

Those special moments of sibling bonding

Every now and then your child does or says something that is truly memorable.

Why we should stop telling new parents to 'enjoy every moment'

A few weeks ago, some dear friends of mine had their first baby. As the proud dad texted me a picture I had to fight the natural instinct to say “Enjoy every moment!”

Baby monitor footage posted online

Footage of Australian babies and children sleeping in their bedrooms are among the images on a Russian site showing live feeds from thousands of homes and businesses around the world.

Did this new dad really hit on his wife's midwife?

Was there really a man who was actually there by his wife’s side as she laboured and gave birth to his child, all while he was making what he perceived to be meaningful eye contact with a midwife?

Keep calm and ignore the Tantrum Trolls

Tantrum Trolls are a small but growing species of predatory bottom-feeders who delight in picking on parents at their most vulnerable.

It's okay to never 'get over' the death of a loved one

The death of children, siblings, and parents has long term impacts on the rest of our lives.

What Mark Latham needs to know about depression and motherhood

Love has nothing to do with mental illness. But love may drive a mother to do something about it.

'We're just trying to keep our child alive': life with FPIES

We have a beautiful seven-month-old son, and his allergy rules our life.

Transgender dad breastfeeds his babies

A transgender man who breastfed his first baby - despite having his breasts removed as part of his transformation from female to male - has now had a second child.

Couple face $1 million medical bill and bankruptcy after babymoon birth

A Canadian couple were slammed with a million dollar medical bill after their daughter was prematurely during their babymoon.

Cigarettes, junk food dominate supermarket sales growth

One in every five dollars spent at supermarkets goes on cigarettes or junk food, according to industry data.

Teacher under fire for breastfeeding in class

There is no doubt mums have a right to continue breastfeeding after they have returned to work, but one teacher in the US has taken it to the extreme.

Win a family pass to Disney Live!

We have 4 family passes to give away to see Disney Live! presents Three Classic Fairy Tales, touring Australia this December/January.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Join PADDINGTON on the red carpet!

To celebrate the release of PADDINGTON, we are giving five lucky winners the chance to win a family pass to the exclusive Australian Premiere in Sydney on December 7!

The tragedy of losing a favourite teddy bear

We were green and uninitiated, perhaps a little naïve when it came to the favourite toy responsibility.

Video: Baby sniffs beardless dad to make sure it's him

She looks him up and down and then touches his chin, but baby Lindsey still isn't sure this clean-shaven man is her dad.

It's possible to workout while pregnant

Medical experts say intense fitness routines can be done safely during pregnancy - if the mums-to-be follow some guidelines.

What parents really want for their kids

Are our hopes, dreams and expectations for our children what they really need?

'I had a feeling something was seriously wrong'

Before even giving birth, Katie Myers' maternal instincts warned her something was wrong with her baby.

When your pregnancy causes a relationship rift

Some dads-to-be don't miss a beat when their partner is pregnant; others struggle with a range of issues and can become withdrawn, right when their support is needed most.

Couple uses group photo trick to announce pregnancy to loved ones

Katharine and Kris Camilli devised a clever trick to immortalise their family and friends' reactions to their exciting pregnancy news.

Why Tracey Spicer has given up make-up

"After 30 years on television, I had become what I despised: a painted doll who spent an hour a day and close to $200 a week putting on a mask."

Knowing you are one of the lucky ones

I am secure, confident and strong, but the responsibility of protecting my children can almost bring me undone.

Why I am so emotional now I have kids?

There are so many ways in which parenthood changes us as women, but one of the most noticeable, for me, has been the changing state of my emotions.

Baby survives despite sharing womb with 'foreign body'

Baby Maia was conceived against the odds, only to find she was sharing a womb with an ominous "foreign body".

Video: Baby shows dog how to jump - or vice versa

They say dog is man's best friend, but this playful pooch seems to have chosen a jumping baby as her number one buddy.

10 ways to soothe a crying baby

New paernts can get frustrated when their newborn gets fussy and can't settle down. When you're feeling overwhelmed, try some of these simple tips to help soothe your baby.

20 baby names that are becoming more popular every year

The data-lovers at nameberry.com have been at it again – this time, they’ve discovered the names that are continually rising up the ranks, ready to take out some top spots in the next few years.

10 great meals to make for new parents

Ideally, you want to give food that isn’t expensive to make, isn't too difficult to create, and freezes well; stews, bakes, soups and pasta sauces are perfect.

Weird pregnancy products

Some pregnancy products come to market and are just awesome. Others just leave you scratching your head.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

Twin brothers have become dads on the same day ? with their partners giving birth in the same hospital, and even the same birthing pool.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.