To find out or not to find out? *Updated*
Updated around post 27

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 monkeys mum

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:11 PM

So it's reached that milestone in my pregnancy, the morphology scan.... eek!

We have a divided house on whether we should find out. DP and DS want a surprise, DD and DS want to find out, I am the deciding factor. I am torn, I hate surprises, like really even as an adult I want to know what i have been bought by the kids for Christmas, or want to sneak a look at their Mothers day stall purchases. Now a surprise would be something new to me with the boys we found out. With DD I found out, ex didn't want to know, he got told when we broke up a few weeks before she was born, but this was totally different circumstances. So with every pregnancy we have had a 18/20wk surprise. This time it was DP that said how about not finding out.

My reasons for not knowing what to decide are, so we can be prepared, the usual clothes from the boys can be dug out, so can clothes from dd though there isnt many of them. We can also prepare DD if its a brother, she has wanted a sister since before DS2 came along, yes she gets its 50/50, but I know she would really love a sister. Also I can make boy or girl specific items as i crochet and sew, though obviously can do unisex. We can work out names, dp is so frustrating in this regard, girls name I have one i love, boys names dp hates all of the ones i love.

Sorry for the rambling but I just don't know what to do. Have you found out the gender in one pregnancy and not another?

Any advice for me? I really would love some to save me sitting up till dp gets home with my mind in over drive.

Edited by monkeys mum, 23 January 2013 - 01:19 PM.

#2 imamumto3

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:18 PM

we found out with ds because it was so obvious on the scan.  for dds we didn't find out.  I liked not knowing and being told at birth.  with ds delivery it was "it's a boy" and I almost felt like yeah, I know, so what.  with the girls it felt more special and  I was more emotional.

#3 bakesgirls

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:18 PM

I found out with all my pregnancies and loved knowing. So I'm in the find out camp. IMO, it's still a surprise when you find out, it's just a little earlier.

For me and my husband, it took nothing away from the birth. We were still excited to meet our daughters each and every time. To find out what they looked like, how big they were, any little quirks they may have. Just to meet the little person that you helped to create, it was no less exciting because we knew we were having girls.

EFS

Edited by bakesgirls, 22 January 2013 - 10:44 PM.

#4 R2B2

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:22 PM

We found out with all of ours. number 3 - being our last was meant to be a surprise, but i'm weak  grin.gif

I honestly think the biggest surprise is seeing what they look like!

#5 CallMeProtart

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

I could never wait to find out. Anything I can possibly know about them before they arrive just makes me feel closer to them. TBH I think that's kind of when I start bonding.

#6 abcd_efg

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:29 PM

I've done one of each, and if I go for #3, i would opt to find out.

For me, the birth was so amazing and emotional that the gender of the baby was an afterthought really. DH was all excited pre-labour to be able to annouce the gender to me, but he forgot all about it when she actually arrived. I had to check for myself.

Finding out at the scan was exciting, and meant i could prepare and shop accordingly. I much prefered this option.

#7 cinnabubble

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

We didn't find out either time. I don't care what people say, it ruins the surprise.

#8 Sunny003

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:34 PM

Sigh.

DS1 & DS2 we didn't find out. Loved the surprise, it was nice.

DD1, we found out. BUT, we were told boy. By two technicians, at the same time :0 they were certain it was a he LOL and out popped my little princess.

So I would opt for not finding out.

#9 againagain

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:35 PM

I have had 3, and we didn't find out at the scan with any of them. We tossed up finding out with #3 but didn't again. It's kind of cool to not know and wonder about it for the rest of the pregnancy, and as a PP said I just love the moments after they are born when you find out boy or girl.

Or with my first I completely forgot and was just checking out her face and talking to her for ages and then looked at the midwife and said "OMG what is it?" She said "Didn't you find out?" and then we were all laughing that I had completely forgotten to check, she had assumed that because I didn't look or ask right away I must have already known.

#10 Swahili

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:35 PM

QUOTE (cinnabubble @ 22/01/2013, 10:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We didn't find out either time. I don't care what people say, it ruins the surprise.

This.

Besides, sonographers can and do get it wrong.

#11 CallMeProtart

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:41 PM

QUOTE (cinnabubble @ 22/01/2013, 10:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

laughing2.gif I think it MAKES the surprise!

QUOTE (Swahili @ 22/01/2013, 10:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This.

Besides, sonographers can and do get it wrong.

Sometimes. If you see them pee on screen, as we did, it's pretty certain Tounge1.gif

#12 gettheetoanunnery

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:44 PM

QUOTE (cinnabubble @ 22/01/2013, 09:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ditto for all our four.

Still remember first child, DP, overcome with tears, looked up at me and said "It's a BABY!!"

Ob came out and told my mum I had a boy and she asked him if he was sure.  

These kids are doomed.

#13 Justaduck

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:01 PM

We were like this....DP wanted to know, I didn't initally.
When the time came around, I kept seeing cute things in either boys or girls (yes I know I could have gone neutral but this isn't for us.) I am a planner and wanted to have everything ready to go. I was having a c-sec so the doom & gloom stories told me that I would not want to leave the house for weeks (even though we went out first day out of hospital).

If we have another...we will find out again. If bub#2 is a boy, we will have a surprise for #3 as we will already have everything on hand.

I do not believe it "ruined the surprise". We got the sonographer to write it down on a piece of paper and seal it. We went to somewhere special and opened it there...just the two of us. We also had enough on our minds (DD was high risk for DS and we had no amnio) so at least we had one almost definite thing to focus on.

#14 monkeys mum

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:00 PM

Thanks for the replies. I am still so lost in what to do, my main focus though is preparing the kids. DD really has her heart set on a sister, and finding out DS2 was a boy at the scan totally made her forget she wanted a sister. DS1 also doesn't take change very well, it took him easily two months to accept that i was pregnant. Actually it could have been a bit longer as the past three weeks hes been telling total strangers when out shopping, and asking if i can eat this and that, and if its the baby making me sick.

Writing this though has made me think my one biggest reason for finding out was because i've endured hypermesis, with several hospital visits due to dehydration, and am currently in my third week of recurring migraines. So theres hasn't been much time for bonding or even enjoying the pregnancy like i did with the others, so finding out might help. But, then its definately our last, big surprise initially, and i wonder if i'll kick myself for finding out because once you know, you know.

Arghhhh this decisiom sucks!

#15 Jaffacakes

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:15 PM

We found out for #1 and #2 and to be honest I loved it: got to call bub by their name, buy pick/blue clothes etc. (I am very much a planner  biggrin.gif ). Anyway this time, DH and I thought we would try for a surprise (especially as we had one of each), I was trying to be really strong and DH kept changing his mind too, so in the end we got the sonographer to write it on a piece of paper (and no we haven't peeked at it ..... yet)

I actually think doing it this way took a little pressure off as we thought we HAD to make a decision on whether to find out or not be 19 weeks, whereas now we can find out any old time....

#16 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:17 PM

QUOTE (R2B2 @ 22/01/2013, 09:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We found out with all of ours. number 3 - being our last was meant to be a surprise, but i'm weak  grin.gif

I honestly think the biggest surprise is seeing what they look like!

same here, only we had 2.

It was still a surprise.  I still think it was one of the most special moments in my life, meeting my children for the first time, seeing their face, hands, feet, outside the ultrasound, finally.

With DD2, I was positive I was having a boy.  At the scan, they told me I was having a girl and I'll be honest, it took me a few days to get used to it.  I'm glad I found out halfway through my pregnancy than at the birth.  It would have been a huge shock then.

Edited by YodaTheWrinkledOne, 22 January 2013 - 11:18 PM.

#17 againagain

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:24 PM

i wonder if i'll kick myself for finding out because once you know, you know.

I have to say this is something that I always thought too! Once you know, you cannot UNknow (excuse the crappy English) but if you don't know, you can still find out.

If you're not 100% do what others have suggested and have it written down so you can be certain you want to know before you open it. No point pressuring yourself to decide by a certain date!

#18 **Xena**

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:27 PM

I found out with all mine. I mostly hated being pregnant and that midway surprise helped give me something else to be excited about and concentrate on during the long wait. I guess it helped make the baby 'more real' to me.

#19 mini mac

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:32 PM

It doesnt matter whether anyone is for or against finding out there are pros and cons to either way. You should stop stressing about it and just pick one and go with it. Your kids will be fine either way, the sex of the baby isn't going to stop the immediate impact a newborn will have on the whole household or change your family dynamics (at least initially anyway). The baby will have clothing either way, just have to sort it later or some of both incase for early days.

FWIW I personally would not find out. I loved DH knowing before me, and I've loved receiving that call/message/email when someone has had a baby and weve not known the sex.. It's just another level of surprise that in life we just don't get much anymore   wink.gif

#20 monkeys mum

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:48 PM

Mini Mac, actually the impact of the baby on the kids will be quite big, DS1 is most probably asd (we're going the slow testing route to make sure doagnosis is correct while he has ot), DD has adhd and anxiety issues. DS probably will be fine either way, DS2 will be too but I think DD will not be ok. I know this sounds ridiculous and if it was someone else reading this i would think wtf but DD has been in tears even discussing whether we will find out or not.

I just got off the phone to DP, with migraines and him working well over 50hours a week we haven't had a chance to talk just the two of us.

He said he thinks it will be best to find out, mainly due to DD but also as he said 'you've had a crappy few weeks and i think this will make your month'. So now the kids will get to announce to their Nan, pop and granma and get to suggest some names. Also pp's are right the surprise of seeing them at birth is awesome. Plus it will help me get more organised, if its a girl I can get rid of all of DS2's outgrown clothes.

Now I really can't wait, I guess i did want to know now!!

#21 baddmammajamma

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:51 PM

QUOTE (monkeys mum @ 23/01/2013, 12:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the replies. I am still so lost in what to do, my main focus though is preparing the kids. DD really has her heart set on a sister, and finding out DS2 was a boy at the scan totally made her forget she wanted a sister. DS1 also doesn't take change very well, it took him easily two months to accept that i was pregnant.

QUOTE (monkeys mum @ 23/01/2013, 12:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the replies. I am still so lost in what to do, my main focus though is preparing the kids. DD really has her heart set on a sister, and finding out DS2 was a boy at the scan totally made her forget she wanted a sister. DS1 also doesn't take change very well, it took him easily two months to accept that i was pregnant.

It sounds like you could swing either way but that you have compelling reasons for your children to be well prepared for the new arrival.

If I were in your shoes with a "spectrummy kid" (wait a sec, I HAVE a spectrummy kid as well... but I'm not pregnant wink.gif ), I would be trying to prepare that child in particular as much as possible. And that means I would be finding out.

Good luck with your decision & with the rest of your pregnancy.

On a different note, I've never understood the "It ruins the surprise..." It's a SURPRISE whenever you find out. And if you've never found out early, how would you even know what it feels like to have the surprise ruined? wink.gif

#22 mini mac

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:01 AM

QUOTE (monkeys mum @ 22/01/2013, 09:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mini Mac, actually the impact of the baby on the kids will be quite big, DS1 is most probably asd (we're going the slow testing route to make sure doagnosis is correct while he has ot), DD has adhd and anxiety issues. DS probably will be fine either way, DS2 will be too but I think DD will not be ok. I know this sounds ridiculous and if it was someone else reading this i would think wtf but DD has been in tears even discussing whether we will find out or not.

I just got off the phone to DP, with migraines and him working well over 50hours a week we haven't had a chance to talk just the two of us.

He said he thinks it will be best to find out, mainly due to DD but also as he said 'you've had a crappy few weeks and i think this will make your month'. So now the kids will get to announce to their Nan, pop and granma and get to suggest some names. Also pp's are right the surprise of seeing them at birth is awesome. Plus it will help me get more organised, if its a girl I can get rid of all of DS2's outgrown clothes.

Now I really can't wait, I guess i did want to know now!!

Ah, ok. Makes sense. So maybe you really knew you wanted to know but wanted to be sure?? And it will be another weight off your mind, wondering what clothing you need out of storage or what to buy.

Have fun at your scan. Hope its what you want it to be. A baby would be great, wouldn't it? Oh, I crack myself up! biggrin.gif

#23 **Xena**

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:03 AM

Have fun OP original.gif I still enjoy the surprise even if the surprise comes earlier than birth original.gif

You do realise we will need an update right?! biggrin.gif

ETA:
Have fun at your scan. Hope its what you want it to be. A baby would be great, wouldn't it? Oh, I crack myself up!

I took DS#1 to my scan for DS#2 and he got all excited and said "You're having a puppy. I think it's a puppy!! Luckily it turned out to be a baby boy instead laughing2.gif

Edited by **Xena**, 23 January 2013 - 12:05 AM.

#24 ~shannon~

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:06 AM

I think all your reasons for finding out now are really relevant so I would choose the surprise at the scan, instead of the birth.

I wanted surprises at the end for my first two kids, but DH really wanted to know for DD1 so we found out, and then when we had the scan for DD2 we both kind of cheated and looked at the images later and guessed it was a girl!

I was adamant we would find out #3 at the scan because I also wanted to be prepared and DH couldn't stand waiting. I also didn't want negative comments after the birth if we ended up with three girls (which it appears we will have!)

#25 mini mac

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:12 AM

I took DS#1 to my scan for DS#2 and he got all excited and said "You're having a puppy. I think it's a puppy!! Luckily it turned out to be a baby boy instead laughing2.gif
[/quote]

Bahahahaha! That is adorable. But very funny. 21st material right there.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Britain's youngest parents: mother 12, father 13

A 12-year-old schoolgirl and her 13-year-old boyfriend are believed to have become Britain?s youngest parents, after the birth of their baby girl earlier this week.

When Prince George met Bilby George

Prince George has met an Aussie marsupial named after him in his first official engagement in Australia.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Pregnant woman dies after doctor removes ovary instead of appendix

When a UK woman went to hospital suffering appendicitis, doctors mistakenly removed her healthy ovary - with tragic consequences.

The milestones I can't wait to celebrate

Nothing can beat the feeling of witnessing that first smile, first step and first word - but here's a list of 'firsts' I'm really looking forward to now.

How you develop in your baby's first year

Just as babies undergo rapid growth as they learn and change in their first year, we?re learning and changing quickly as parents, too. Don?t underestimate the developmental stages you go through when you have a baby.

Can you make your baby smarter even before birth?

A product new to Australia claims to help babies be born "as intelligent as possible", but not all experts agree on the benefits of educating babies while still in the womb.

How a mother's love helped unearth the skills of an autistic savant

Autistic savant Ping Lian Yeak, a prodigious artist who has had his work shown all over the world, couldn't have done it without the support and love of his proud mum.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

A tiny heart: a baby?s death gives life to another

Simon Alexander Garcia lived only one brief hour. But somewhere, a little girl?s heart is beating today because of him.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Why is childbirth still such a pain?

The options given to women to help them cope in labour have barely changed in years.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.