No Baby seat available!
What did you do? (Without taking your own)

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 mamma bear

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:17 PM

Hi,
Husband, myself and our two boys (14months and almost 5) are going overseas to the Philippines.
There will be no baby seats where we are going and no big name car rentals either. We will be lucky to get a reliable vehicle even. Husband and his whole family have flat out said we are not taking one with us sad.gif  (Due to not much point as there is no anchor points and have just found out there is no guarantees our rental car will have back seat belts)

So have you been in this situation. My friends who have also been are saying, you just need to deal with that how it's done there. I'm finding it hard to get my head around it all.
Now I would be more comfortable if it was only short trips, but from the airport to where we stay is almost 2 hours (in minimal traffic)

I'm ok about my almost 5 year old. But how can I get around this for a young bub?

I had thought of trying to find an old school booster (with no back) so it could fit in my luggage and maybe a 5 point harness?  But I'm doubtful the age of car we get will have a bolt for it anyway??

Any advice or suggestions???? I'm dreading this holiday already and this is not helping, so after positive suggestions please!!!

Edited by mamma bear, 23 January 2013 - 11:08 PM.

#2 HeroOfCanton

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:22 PM

Husband and his whole family have flat out said we are not taking one with us

why not? the cost of extra luggage?
I don't think a few hundred dollars & a bit of inconvenience is worth the risk to my childs life.

For the 5 year old, maybe I could deal with it, but for a 14 month old, I'd not go - honestly. I just couldn't see how it would be worth the risk.

#3 IsolaBella

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:23 PM

No to the booster and add on harness. No anti sub device and the fact that research had 100% used incorrectly, putting child at risk of internal injuries from the belt.

Me I would be trying to get my hands on a EU maxi Cosi Cabriofix capsule and take that. It installs with just seatbelt (lap sash). Suits a child to approx 80cm. Gumtree or eBay sometimes have them advertised (as pram accessory)

Refer to lower post for RF Aussie seat thoughts

Edited by lsolaBella, 22 January 2013 - 08:35 PM.

#4 Fossy

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:26 PM

Your husband and his whole family have said you can't take one? Gee they sound like a cheerful bunch  huh.gif  

Take a seat, your child is a baby, they need a carseat. Even if you can't top tether it it will be safer than nothing.

#5 Agnodice the Feral

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:29 PM

2 hours travel at what speed?

I have travelled extensively with kids not in carseats - but in highly urban areas with so much traffic that the max speed (by us or anyone else) is 30-40 kph. This was an acceptable risk for me.

I would balk at 60kph plus, especially if it was on roads where other vehicles (eg trucks, busses) can also so higher speeds. That said, as a child I have travelled on such roads with no restraint (including no seat belts) because that WAS the done thing. Would I do that with my own kids, knowin what I know and having seen what I've seen. Not likely.

(You might also want to find out if, even if you take a seat, there will be anything to attach it to).

Edited by AvadaKedavra, 22 January 2013 - 08:30 PM.

#6 IsolaBella

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:30 PM

Actually at 14m I would in this case also use Aussie seat RF without TT. I would not use Aussie seat FF without TT though. That is assuming seatbelt in rear seats.

Edited by lsolaBella, 22 January 2013 - 08:31 PM.

#7 Betty_D

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:38 PM

Honestly, I would be taking a car seat and telling my husband and his family to just deal with it.

#8 IsolaBella

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:44 PM

This is a good article (yes all 6 pages) to get your DH to read. Babies get 10kgs luggage allowance so that should cover pram and car seat. Never had to pay extra for these for bubs going overseas. Also watching the video links is good too

http://www.thecarseatlady.com/taxis/using_taxis.html

http://www.thecarseatlady.com/taxis/using_taxis_3.html

Edited by lsolaBella, 22 January 2013 - 08:45 PM.

#9 bikingbubs

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:44 PM

you dont get charged for taking a car seat (ie, its not included in your luggahe allowance...its goes free)

#10 baddmammajamma

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:49 PM

I would:

* Be buying a Sit 'n Stroll from the U.S. as fast as my fingers could order:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SIT-N-STROLL-NE...=item460241ce82

(too bad you aren't in Sydney -- as I have lent mine to several EBers)

or

* Be searching for a Maxi Cosi Cabriofix capsule (per IsolaBella)

or

* Be planning on taking my Aussie seat (rear facing)

-and-

* Be bringing a light weight booster for my almost 5 year old that can be secured with a lap sash

I would NOT:

* Be letting my clueless husband and clueless inlaws dictate what essential safety items I packed for my children! Really, you need to put your foot down on this one. They are being ridiculous!

Good luck & safe travels!

#11 IsolaBella

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:53 PM

For 5yo infa folding booster is less then 2kgs

http://www.infasecure.com.au/product_range...-+The+Versatile

#12 dae-gu

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:00 PM

Please take a seat for bub. My son was unrestrained and in a car accident (car overturned) when he was 6 months old. Amazingly he was uninjured, but both his foster mother and her son, who was driving, were hospitalized for a fortnight. This was in an asian country where child restraints are not mandatory sad.gif  

If you want to take a seat for the 5 yo I would recommend the Infa folding travel booster. Its veru light and does not have a tether. We just travelled interste with one, it was great. Cheap too, $60.
http://www.infasecure.com.au/product_range...---The-Foldaway

#13 epl0822

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:07 PM

I was in another country where carseats are not mandatory. It was a nightmare every time we were in a taxi because DS couldn't keep still. He was walking over everybody's knees, grabbing everything, fussing, kicking, etc. Turns out that aside from being a safety feature, being buckled up forces toddlers to sit still and be quiet! If you have a two hour trip it is well worth bringing a carseat - all airlines I've flown had allowances for an infant.

I was in a car ride for 5+ hours with no carseat....Bill Gates couldn't pay me a million bucks for me to repeat that nightmarish experience. Ugh.

#14 Lokum

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:25 PM

Do address the issue with your DH in advance.

Your point about safe and reliable cars is a good one. While I'd follow PPs advice and take a seat or two, (and it won't cost in excess baggage, it should be covered by the children's air tickets) there's a fair chance that:

Your luggage may not fit in a boot, if it includes car seats
Your car seat could be damaged on domestic airlines
The car/taxis may not have any seat belts at all, esp in the back seat, let alone a TT bolt
The car may be overloaded with rellies, who won't take kindly to the baby's car seat taking up one whole space.
Some hot headed nephew or cousin may be designated driver, and cautious driving may not be 'his thing.'

We have encountered all this and more in DH's country, before we had kids. So when we made our first trip with DS1, I had the battles long before we went. Part of our planning for the trip included car safety, and part of our budgeting included our own decent car rentals and buying a seat.

In fact, DH went before us, so he could buy a local car seat, sort out our car rental for airport pickup, rent us accommodation close to public transport so we weren't reliant on dodgy taxis etc. This is an ongoing challenge for us. However, DH knows it's non-negotiable that we move heaven and earth to make car travel safe.

We have even got our rehearsed ways of ignoring, or politely & firmly dismissing silly rellies who want us to carry the kids in our laps, so we don't get coerced into doing something we feel uncomfortable about.

One more thing. If you are ever carrying a small child unrestrained, apparently the safest place for them is on the floor between a parents feet. Less chance of them being thrown through the windscreen/out a window or flung wildly about the car in a roll over.

#15 2bundles

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:43 AM

You need to establish if the cars are likely to have seat belts. In Vietnam we had to do several taxi rides with at least a couple of us without belts.

Not much point taking a seat if there aren't any seat belts.

#16 IsolaBella

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:53 AM

With no seatbelts I would still use a capsule on the floor in the footwell over nothing.

#17 HappyPhantom

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:12 AM

When we travelled around Thailand last year, most cars didn't even have anchor points, so a car seat would have been a pain, and completely useless. They didn't even have adult seatbelts. I can't imagine the Philippines being any different. I just strapped my 18 month old to me in the ergo.

Well worth it. My kids had such a great learning experience, no hesitation in doing it again.

#18 IsolaBella

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:23 AM

Ergo and Baby Bjorn use please  see my PP links. Not pretty in an accident.

Edited by lsolaBella, 23 January 2013 - 08:00 AM.

#19 Bluenomi

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:56 AM

QUOTE (2bundles @ 23/01/2013, 07:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You need to establish if the cars are likely to have seat belts. In Vietnam we had to do several taxi rides with at least a couple of us without belts.

Not much point taking a seat if there aren't any seat belts.

Also most cars won't have anchor points so if you need a seat with a tether strap you probably won't be able to use it.

When we took DD to Vanautu at 6 months none of the cars had car seats and most didn't have seat belts. I usually put her forward facing in the baby bjorn. That was she was 'loose' and I could hold onto the car to keep us stable. I did a similar thing when she was 15 months in UAE with the Bubba Moe sling.

#20 HappyPhantom

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:19 AM

QUOTE (lsolaBella @ 23/01/2013, 08:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ergo and Baby Bjorn use please  see my PP links. Not pretty in an accident.

Of course I don't expect it to protect like a car seat, but in the absence of anything that can even begin to strap down an active squimy toddler, it's better than nothing. Because that's my alternative,

#21 mamma bear

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:46 PM

Thanks HappyPhantom original.gif

And whilst I appreciate the replies from everyone else, it would of been more beneficial if the replies answered my question. I specifically asked for other options to a standard car seat. It is essentially a 3rd world country and it's not reasonable to expect the same conditions to be maintained.
Yes my child's safety is very important but I also must be realistic.

I have checked with the car yard where we hire the car and there are some seatbelts but not all in every car and no guarantees!

Thanks again HappyPhantom, looking into that and other options.

#22 TeaTimeTreat

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

So you can afford to fly there and back but cannot afford to take car seats? Unless you are going to a country where seatbelts in the back of cars do not exist I am feeling a tad sceptical, I was in a carseat in Zimbabwe in 1980, use a light RF seat with no TT, or a cabriofix, and take the booster linked.

If I had to choose between seeing my own relatives OS or my child's safety I would pick safety everytime, how would you live with youself if there was a crash and your toddler was not restrained?

Sorry but this can be life and death not just conveinient or not.

Edited by sparkler, 23 January 2013 - 07:57 PM.

#23 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:18 PM

I agree with what PPs said about either taking a seat (it won't count towards the baggage allowance) or buying one there.  I just googled and about 20 entries came up with seats for $100 or so.  

Seat belts are compulsory for front and rear passengers in private cars in the Phillipines since 2000.  

http://www.lawphil.net/statutes/repacts/ra..._8750_1999.html

I've been to the crash lab and seen the films of what happens, and worked on cases of unrestrained children.  

I think the only thing you can do if you don't want to use a restraint is to try to travel in buses or larger vehicles which will give you all more protection.

#24 mamma bear

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:57 PM

QUOTE (sparkler @ 23/01/2013, 08:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So you can afford to fly there and back but cannot afford to take car seats? Unless you are going to a country where seatbelts in the back of cars do not exist I am feeling a tad sceptical, I was in a carseat in Zimbabwe in 1980, use a light RF seat with no TT, or a cabriofix, and take the booster linked.

If I had to choose between seeing my own relatives OS or my child's safety I would pick safety everytime, how would you live with youself if there was a crash and your toddler was not restrained?

Sorry but this can be life and death not just conveinient or not.

Thank you for the positive response.

#25 mamma bear

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:01 PM

QUOTE (meggs1 @ 23/01/2013, 08:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree with what PPs said about either taking a seat (it won't count towards the baggage allowance) or buying one there.  I just googled and about 20 entries came up with seats for $100 or so.  

Seat belts are compulsory for front and rear passengers in private cars in the Phillipines since 2000.  

http://www.lawphil.net/statutes/repacts/ra..._8750_1999.html

I've been to the crash lab and seen the films of what happens, and worked on cases of unrestrained children.  

I think the only thing you can do if you don't want to use a restraint is to try to travel in buses or larger vehicles which will give you all more protection.

Thanks for your positive response...
FYI, my in laws are Filipino and regularly visit (last being over Christmas) and no back seats had belts. Only the front.
Anyway thanks for trying.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

The 'no children' wedding invite

It was the wedding of one of my oldest and dearest friends, and she had invited me to be her bridesmaid. It was quite an honour. But there was one problem.

Baby Dylan recovering well after spending five days alone

For up to five days he lay alone after his mother died of a suspected drug overdose, but eight-month-old Dylan Micallef has made an incredible recovery.

The mystery of William Tyrell, little boy lost

The question remains: How does a little boy simply vanish without a trace?

Woman fights off robber, then gives birth

A thief in the US got more than he bargained for when he try to rob a woman who was nine months pregnant because he figured she would be an easy target.

Video: Two-year-old tells mum off for laughing at her

This little girl is not happy that her mum started laughing during her performance - so she tells her exactly how she feels about it.

Coping with a bolter

My 15-month-old has suddenly added a burst of real speed to her toddle. She should be classed a flight risk.

Single, 51 and pregnant

Tracey Kahn didn't realise she wanted to become a mother until she was well into her 40s. Now 51, she is pregnant with her second child.

An open letter to Tony Abbott: please salvage our super

We face financial ruin, but most of us don?t realise it. If we don?t act together to salvage our superannuation, I have no doubt the new GFC will be the Girls? Financial Crisis.

'I'm happy to know I'm changing lives': surrogate mum of two

I know that once the baby is born, I will focus on the gift I have given, and watch the parents with their new child. I can't wait for that day.

Birth trauma and the issue of informed consent

There is a perception that women should just be happy they have a healthy baby in their arms. But for women who experienced birth trauma, there's a lot more to it.

Tips for managing pollen allergies and hayfever

They're simple tips, but they can have a big impact on those who suffer from hayfever and pollen allergies.

Ada Nicodemou shares tribute to her stillborn baby

Just over one month since Ada Nicodemou and her husband lost their second son, the Home and Away star has shared a touching poem for her baby.

Mum causes stir breastfeeding on train

?To the woman breastfeeding her kid on the train. Seriously! On the train?" began the letter of complaint.

10 things they don?t tell you about being pregnant

As I slowly waddle my ever-changing pregnant body towards the finishing line of my due date, it?s becoming increasingly clear there are a lot of things they just don?t tell you about pregnancy.

Overcoming a fear of the dark

A toddler's fear of the dark is very normal, but there are ways parents can help children through this stage in their development.

Kids, TV and movies: how young is too young?

It seems you don't have to throw the TV and iPad out the window - it all boils down to moderation, supervision and interaction.

Video: Baby's first birthday is a special day for mum, too

?A baby?s first birthday is also mum?s first birthday.?

The day Supernanny came to tea

Prince William's favourite celebrity child trainer Jo Frost puts Bryony Gordon and her toddler through their paces.

The words I hated hearing as new mum

It was less than a week after my son was born that I first heard it - from my mother.

To the pharmacist who sold me baby formula

On the rare occasion I catch sight of you at school, or around town, I think back to our earliest exchange. I?m sure you have no recollection of it at all.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

The 'no children' wedding invite

"It's her wedding, so the day is all about her, not your baby." How major fall-out can occur over a simple wedding invitation.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Reader offer

2 FOR 1 TICKET OFFER

For Shopping, For Advice, For Baby & You. Enjoy a special day out with fabulous shopping from over 200 brands, leading parenting experts offering advice on a range of topics, and amazing children?s entertainment

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.