Organ donation
Should families be able to veto a donor's wish?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_AllegraM_*

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

Interesting article about whether a grieving family should have the right to veto the wishes of a registered organ donor.

http://www.thepunch.com.au/articles/should...organ-donation/

Two years ago I watched a close family member pass away from horrific injuries after he was declared brain-dead and had his life support was switched off. He was a registered organ donor. It never occured to me or other family to override his clearly expressed wishes to donate his organs and tissue. Unfortunately, he had suffered too many injuries for his organs to be donated so in the end it was a moot point. We were disappointed for my family member, as it was what he had always wanted to have happen.

Having watched the care and extensive process with check after re-check taken by the medical staff during the process of my family member being declared brain-dead, I don't have the fear of life prematurely being ended by organ-hungry doctors.

I strongly believe that if an individual has registered to be an organ donor, family should not be able to veto their instructions. My only qualification is that parents of a child under 18 should retain the final say in regards to donation of their child's organs (I would think this is the case anyway- I would presume registered donors must be over 18?)

What are other people's views?

#2 Fr0g

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:06 PM

I'm with you, OP, for the points you made.

This thread will be interesting in light of a recent thread on adhering to "last requests" or promises - from memory, most said they'd agree at the time to a last request from a dying relative but NOT fulfill it necessarily because the person would be presumably none the wiser!

#3 GoBack2Bed

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:16 PM

I very passionately and vehemently oppose family being able to override my decision to donate organs. I made the decision it should be adhered to. I personally think the whole system should be EVERYONE is automatically an organ donor unless they opt OUT of the system.

I've told my whole family repeatedly my wishes. My parents told me they would never agree to it. So my husband knows he absolutely has to agree with it which he will.

#4 CallMeFeral

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:17 PM

I agree the wishes of the owner (or ex owner!) of the organs should be respected. The family doesn't (without considerable complication) get to veto their wills - why should they get to veto their organ donation.

I think there are certainly cases where this could be traumatic for the families involved, and that is a shame. But the same can be said for wills, and they don't get to override those. I don't see it as drastic at all - in fact it seems kind of obvious.

#5 GoBack2Bed

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

Blossom77 excuse my ignorance as I've not been in your position before but my understanding is that it's extremely raw and difficult to make the decision to donate because the family is asked. If it is documented that the person planned to donate then shouldn't it just be signing the final paperwork rather than actually deciding?

#6 ubermum

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

I personally think that donation should be an opt out, rather than opt in system. As for the family having the last say, I would be extremely annoyed if mine didn't honor my wishes. They know my feelings, the husbands of one of my best friends died on a transplant waiting list.

#7 Guest_AllegraM_*

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:25 PM

QUOTE (Blossom77 @ 22/01/2013, 05:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am on the organ donor register, but I would remove my name if my family were not able to make the final decision.  I have expressed my views, and I hope that they will be honoured, but I do not wish my views to be forced on my family if they find the situation too distressing.  I have also been through the process of donating the organs of someone I loved very much.  It was incredibly raw and difficult.  If I drop dead tomorrow and my family simply cannot face having my organs donated, then I would hate for them to be further traumatised by the issue being forced.  I can't imagine the distress it would cause if their views were overridden.  

My autonomy doesn't continue after I'm dead at the expense of the feelings of the people I love the most.  I am confident they will abide by my wishes, but if when the time comes they don't feel they can handle it, so be it.  I consider their feelings more important than my wishes.

While I see your point, I don't necessarily agree. It is just not a deceased person's wishes versus those of their family, it is a deceased person's wishes, plus the numerous lives their donation may save or improve versus those of their family. I do acknowledge trauma and grief make things very hard but I maintain that the donation should go ahead regardless.

#8 Pearson

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:28 PM

QUOTE (mummy09 @ 22/01/2013, 05:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I very passionately and vehemently oppose family being able to override my decision to donate organs. I made the decision it should be adhered to. I personally think the whole system should be EVERYONE is automatically an organ donor unless they opt OUT of the system.

QUOTE (ubermum @ 22/01/2013, 05:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I personally think that donation should be an opt out, rather than opt in system. As for the family having the last say, I would be extremely annoyed if mine didn't honor my wishes. They know my feelings, the husbands of one of my best friends died on a transplant waiting list.

My bold above - It should be opt out, not opt in. The family should not be given the option to override the persons wishes whatsoever.
Besides, organ donation, for lack of a better synonym, is a fantastic form of recycling.  Imagine how many peoples lives you could save.

#9 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:34 PM

I've warned my family that if they disregard my wishes in respect of organ donation (I choose to donate anything and everything that is needed), then I will return from the dead to haunt them until their dying days.

It should be an opt out system for deceased persons. Opt in for 'live person' transplants.

#10 RHJ

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:43 PM

I agree with you girls. Should be opt out not opt in, and people shouldn't be given the chance to override the decisions of the deceased. My brother doesn't want his donated (for what I believe are stupid reasons) but I will always respect his wishes in regard to that as it is his body- and I am sure he will respect mine if he ever had to make the decision. But yes- it shouldn't be an option for him or me to decide for the other.

#11 Let_it_Rain

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:47 PM

QUOTE (FrogIsAFrogIsAFrog @ 22/01/2013, 06:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This thread will be interesting in light of a recent thread on adhering to "last requests" or promises - from memory, most said they'd agree at the time to a last request from a dying relative but NOT fulfill it necessarily because the person would be presumably none the wiser!

I was thinking this as well. I think there might be a double standard here.

I have had the conversation with DH and hope he respects my wishes should it ever be an issue. I will respect his even though we differ.

My cousin died when I was young while on the waiting list, and my uncles life was saved by donation. When I am gone I am gone and if I can save someone that is the best thing that could happen.

#12 CrunchyNut

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:48 PM

If you're a registered donor then no the family should not have any right to over ride it!

#13 la di dah

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:52 PM

I know my parents would override and say no but my husband knows I want to donate and said he'll look after that.

#14 Sentient Puddle

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:52 PM

This! Plus - like Spikey I have also told my family if they go against my wishes then I too will haunt them! I will be dead. If someone can benefit from my body - then I want it to be of use.

#15 liveworkplay

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:54 PM

I strongly believe that if an individual has registered to be an organ donor, family should not be able to veto their instructions.

I agree.

I also think we should have an opt out rather then opt in system as well.

#16 babybeli

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:00 PM

As someone on the waiting list for an organ I just want to say what a fantastic gift organ donation is.  Its a chance for a second life for many and for some unfortunately it won't come soon enough.  I know it's selfish but I want to see my children grow up and would be forever grateful to anyone that gave me that opportunity.

#17 CFMummy

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:01 PM

I think all organs should be used if the dececed is/was a doner regardles of other familys wishes. It is/was the wish of the doner. I also think it should be opt out not optin. We may be relying on a doner in future years for our DD2 I would hate for her to lose her life because family was selfish and didnt want to donate. as the sying goes Dont take your organs to heaven cause heaven knows we need them here

#18 Mamabug

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:03 PM

Which family member/s have the legal right to override the deceased's wishes?

If married, is it only the spouse who has that legal right?

#19 lizzie04

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:09 PM

There are not many things I am as passionate about as organ donation, and I hate the fact my family might be able to override it. I vehemently believe it should be opt out - it just seems to get harder though to make a definitive statement while I am alive that will be 100% followed? What else can I do?

#20 JapNFeral

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:10 PM

QUOTE (Blossom77 @ 22/01/2013, 06:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My autonomy doesn't continue after I'm dead at the expense of the feelings of the people I love the most.  I am confident they will abide by my wishes, but if when the time comes they don't feel they can handle it, so be it.  I consider their feelings more important than my wishes.

I think that's a quite beautiful sentiment.

I agree that after death the family is the one to pick up the pieces and deal with it. Often the death of donors is in quite tragic circumstances and unless I stand in their shoes I can't know how they feel.

#21 Jembo

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:48 PM

I also wish it was an opt out system instead of opt in. I have told my family if they overide my wishes I would haunt them original.gif.  

I lost my close friend a year ago who was waiting for a transplant and upon her passing was an organ donor herself.  

I could never imagine them doing it because they know how strong I feel and they all watched my friend suffer as well and are very for organ donation.

#22 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:49 PM

I am a registered organ donor and my family knows it, ad nauseum.  While it's not my mother's thing, I know DH would step in if she tried to stop it.  If DH wasn't around, I reckon my brother and sister would instead.

QUOTE (Blossom77 @ 22/01/2013, 05:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can identify with this.  However, all the more reason why I think it is important for families to talk about this on occasion.  So people get used to the idea, realise how strongly you feel about it.  Realise how disappointed you would be if they stopped it.  That they realise the implication for other families that you want to help.  So that your family don't overturn your intentions, as much as they may not choose that for themselves.

I am also one who would prefer an opt-out system rather than the existing opt-in system.

Edited by YodaTheWrinkledOne, 22 January 2013 - 09:50 PM.

#23 I'm Batman

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:57 PM

I dont know if my mother is an organ donor not but I would donate her organs, she has funny religious ideals but at the end of the day she doesnt believe the body does anything other then die.

If she expressed to me she never wanted it done i would feel different

#24 bluecardigans

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:24 PM

Apologies for reviving and old(ish) thread, but I am very supportive of an opt out process being implemented in Australia.  I came across this WA paper and was wondering if anyone knew if it actually went anywhere? WA Organ donation Opt out

#25 JapNFeral

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:44 PM

QUOTE (Display anemone @ 18/02/2013, 06:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Apologies for reviving and old(ish) thread, but I am very supportive of an opt out process being implemented in Australia.  I came across this WA paper and was wondering if anyone knew if it actually went anywhere? WA Organ donation Opt out

I don't mind this model because it still allows the family to have final say.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

The myths and truths of gender swaying

Here are a few popular methods hopeful parents-to-be use to try to get a baby of their preferred gender – and what an expert says about whether they really work.

10 easy DIY Christmas decoration ideas

It's officially time to get into the Christmas spirit. Why not branch out when you put up your tree this year and add a personal touch with a few DIY decorations? We've found the perfect easy-to-make ways to put more festive fever into your home.

The dangerous new trend of glucose challenge test refusal

A dangerous trend is seeing more mothers-to-be declining a relatively simple and painless test to check for gestational diabetes.

Office of Fair Trading reveals naughty toys ahead of Christmas

The Office of Fair Trading has pulled seven toys from shelves ahead of Christmas after they fail safety tests.

Video: Baby boy's trouble with twins

These twin girls will no doubt have fun fooling people in years to come, but nobody will be as confused as baby Landon.

Long-term reversible male contraceptive on its way

Men could soon have access to an injectable long-term contraceptive which works in a similar way to a vasectomy but promises to be easily reversed.

'I tried to kill my baby': one mum's story

After bathing and dressing her three-month-old son, Amanda had a rare moment alone with her baby.

Attack of the 'mummy brain'

I feel that almost every day, someone in my life - be they a friend, family member or complete stranger - feels the need to excuse my behaviour as I have other things on my mind.

Mum of baby who fell ill after drinking raw milk speaks out

A Melbourne mother has described how her son turned grey when he became seriously ill after drinking raw milk.

Australian divorce rate lowest since 1976

Modern newlyweds are now well into their 30s and marriage still offers something powerful a new book argues.

The aftermath of a traumatic birth experience

In Australia, 30 per cent of women find their birth experience traumatic, with 6 per cent going on to develop post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Young mum burns 'from inside-out'

A young mum is in intensive care after she took a friend's antibiotic and wound up with an ailment that is burning her body 'from the inside-out'.

The disagreement that can break a relationship

If he doesn't change his mind, all I can hope is that I will. It would be a waste to spend the rest of my marriage mourning a baby that never was.

Co-sleeping or no-sleeping? Mum videos worst nap ever

One mother's futile attempt to sleep in caught on camera in a hilarious - and very cute - video.

Why children misbehave during the festive season

While we all like to imagine the holiday season as being a fun, loving and bonding experience; often our reality is quiet different.

I was fat-shamed by my doctor

The fear of being weighed is the most significant factor in women cancelling medical appointments - and now weight-shaming has happened to me.

End of an era: no more childcare

As we reach the end of 2014, we're closing the book on many things for another year, most notably childcare. Our last child has attended childcare for the very last time.

The 7-year itch is more like the 10-year itch: study

Contrary to popular belief, making it past the seven-year mark doesn't mean your marriage will be smooth sailing from there on.

Stop telling us that parenting gets harder

I’m sure that parenting will get harder. But life isn’t exactly smooth sailing for many of us right now, either.

Should children be forced to sit on Santa's lap?

We teach kids it’s okay to say no if they don’t feel safe, so why do some parents force their children to climb in to Santa's lap?

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Baby born weighing almost 14 pounds

Yes, the bouncing baby girl was born by caesarean section. And mum says no more kids.

The dummy debate

I'm the first to admit that when I used to see tiny babies with dummies in their mouths, I thought "Hmm, lazy parenting." And now I apologise.

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

'I thought I was an only child'

Imagine meeting your double at a school sports event, or regularly being mistaken for someone you haven't met. Separated twins Margaret and Joy tell their story.

Mums reveal their nappy bag essentials

Ever wondered what other mums carry in their nappy bags? We have, so we asked mums to tell us their must-have nappy bag items.

Toddler died because he wasn't given antibiotics soon enough

A 15-month-old boy would almost certainly be alive today if doctors had given him antibiotics sooner, a coroner has ruled.

VIDEO: moment a toddler falls on to train tracks in Melbourne

Shocking footage has emerged capturing the moment a pram carrying a toddler rolled off a platform and onto train tracks in suburban Melbourne.

Sold on natural birth? Read the fine print

In the excitement and anticipation of a first pregnancy, I ignored the fine print: some women, some of the time.

Child with alcoholic mum who drank while pregnant won't win pay-out

A young child is not entitled to criminal injuries compensation after her mother drank excessively while pregnant.

Superbugs killing India's babies, posing wider threat

A deadly epidemic that could have global implications is quietly sweeping India, tens of thousands of newborns dying because antibiotics no longer work.

Can you teach a toddler to sleep in?

Parents share their tips on getting their early risers to sleep in, even for just a little bit longer.

Keeping your relationship on track as new parents

About 70 per cent of couples experience a slump in their relationship within three years of having a baby. Here's how we tried to get back on track.

America's favourite baby names of 2014

Americans are turning to television, Netflix and sports for ideas for what to name their wee ones.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

As Sydney grieves the loss of Sydney siege victims Katrina Dawson and Tori Johnson, reports have suggested that both died as heroes.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.