How much would you pay for music lessons?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 ~polly~

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:11 PM

I am planning on starting a home business teaching flute to beginners but I'm not sure how much to charge. Is $30 for 30 minutes reasonable / too high or low?  What do you currently pay for private music lessons?
I am considering offering the first lesson free and/or satisfaction guarentee with a refund for the first month of lesson if they are not happy.

I have  AMusA diploma and can prepare students for AMEB exams or playing just for fun.  I can also play piano so could accompany students.

Since I work I would only be able to conduct lessons after 6pm Mon to Thur, anytime Friday and possibly Saturday mornings.  Does this provide enough flexibility?  I would like to avoid Saturdays if I can.

I'm interested in any advice.

TIA

#2 CallMeFeral

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:16 PM

That price sounds ballpark I think.
I have paid between $60 and $85 per hour for singing lessons.

Edited by CallMeAliG, 22 January 2013 - 04:17 PM.

#3 capper

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:23 PM

I pay $35 a half hour lesson for both saxophone and guitar.  That is in Sydney.

#4 Expelliarmus

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

I pay slightly less for flute, clarinet, trumpet and piano lessons -  $21-$25. But I am aware that I'm getting it cheap original.gif

#5 Mumsyto2

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

We are on a good wicket. $120 per school term per child for piano (plus music theory books plus new practice books as required). 1hr session once a week and if child misses a lesson due to illness or whatever then too bad, they don't get a make up lesson at another time & no refund for that lesson all of which I feel is fair. She gives homework (theory & practice), amount dependant upon childs age and ability. She only does weekdays before or after school, no weekend or school holidays - she has high school age kids herself so probably needs weekends and holidays to run around after them.

I'm pretty sure the teacher does not have any quals (not sure but I am assuming) but for that price I don't care. I know some of her students do exams (you can elect to do this) and they pay the same lesson prices as we do. Twice a year she hires the local school hall and all of her students perform a piece for the parents.

I'm sure there are probably much better teachers out there whose kids are complete prodigies but for what we want out of it for the kids we are happy with her - especially for the price  biggrin.gif

Edited by Mumsyto2, 22 January 2013 - 04:32 PM.

#6 SlinkyMalinki

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:39 PM

That sounds reasonable to me.

#7 sparassidae

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:41 PM

We have paid between $30 and $40 for 1/2 hr piano, trumpet, trombone. So your price sounds fine.

#8 barrington

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:44 PM

We pay three different instrumenal teachers - all charge $30 per half hour lesson

#9 jakc_

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

I pay $30 per 30 mins per week for guitar lessons

#10 adnama

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:46 PM

I was paying $15 for $15 minutes last year for guitar

#11 Kafkaesque

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:21 PM

I paid $120 per month for a thirty hour singing lesson each week. If there were 5 weeks in a month we got a bonus.

#12 HRH Countrymel

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

I just paid $25.50 for 1/2 an hour!

(I think I might have a little crush on my teacher too..... )

#13 dashi

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:26 PM

$35 for a half hour ( in sydney and the teacher comes to the house)

#14 Shellby

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:47 PM

Its $27 for 30 minutes here for saxophone.

Not sure about only after 6pm, for primary kids that is pretty late - they may just had dinner or about to, then come home and get ready for bed - we tend to avoid anything after 5pm for something regular - currently his lesson is 3:45pm - they tend to do adults after 6pm at our music school.

#15 kerilyntaryn

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:52 PM

Depends on what other teachers are charging in the area - I have to charge less than what is recommended due to what others are charging

#16 leisamd

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:14 PM

We pay $50 an hour for violin lessons, it's a bargain because the teacher is incredible!

#17 Canberra Chick

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:30 PM

We pay $32 a half hour. This includes the exercise book t record practice and progress, but obviously not the actual music books. I think this is a fair price. DS's piano teacher is amazing and has really brought him along in the past year. Oh and she gives us hell if he has long fingernails!  blush.gif

#18 hamire

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:00 PM

Which state are you in? In Victoria there is the VMTA website which has recommended rates there. Just check with whatever state you are in that you aren't required to be registered to teach.

I think between $30-40 per half hour is reasonable. If you are teaching from home, therefore don't need to travel, I would consider being at the lower end. However if you are relatively new to teaching, then I would say $25-28 per half hour. You may have the ability to play your instrument well, but that doesn't always mean that you will be a fantastic teacher straight away. I wouldn't want to be paying top price for a beginner teacher. Please don't take offence to that - I just think that your fees should reflect your teaching experience.

Good luck original.gif

#19 Jellybean900

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:38 PM

Violin - $45 for 30 minutes in Sydney

#20 unicorn

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:55 PM

$50 an hour for drums. My piano teacher when I was a youngun used to charge a donation, she was very talented and rather flamboyant, I remember her looking something like Barbara Cartland, but an orange version.

#21 mindy05

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:47 AM

My DD has drum lessons at a music store with studios out the back and pays $28 per half hour. Her current teacher is a student, I believe, but has also played drums for an up and coming Aussie rock band and seems to be teaching DD a lot.
DS's piano teacher charges $30 per half hour. She has just completed her masters in Ed, taught DS Kindermusik when he was at kinder, and is brilliant.
I agree with a PP that after 6 is quite late to be taking littlies to a music lesson midweek, and you may need to seriously think about offering Saturday lessons.

#22 kerilyntaryn

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:09 AM

The going rate according to the Music Association is

Recommended 2013 Minimum Tuition Fees for a Private Studio Music Teacher:

Professional Member:    $65 (plus BST, if applicable) per hour
(A Professional Member has performance and pedagogy qualifications in their chosen instrument(s) and/or at least five years of teaching experience attested to by student results in examinations or eisteddfods.)

Associate Member:   $55 (plus GST, if applicable) per hour
(An Associate Member is working towards Professional Membership - e.g. has performance qualifications and needs to gain the appropriate pedagogy qualificiations, or is still accumulating student results.)

Student Member:    $45 (plus GST, if applicable) per hour
(A Student Member is enrolled in full- or part-time study towards any of the Professional Member qualifications.)

Recommended Minimum Group Lesson Fee:

$90 per hour (to be divided between the students in the group - e.g. $45 each for two students, $30 each for three students etc.)

Edited by kerilyntaryn, 23 January 2013 - 10:12 AM.

#23 kerilyntaryn

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:14 AM

I am considering offering the first lesson free and/or satisfaction guarentee with a refund for the first month of lesson if they are not happy -  I wouldn't - kids change their mind a lot so do their parents,  they need to pay for your time and service

I think after 6 will cut out most of your students

#24 treetree

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:29 AM

Sounds okay to me. We pay similar.

We also have an after 6 lesson. We actually chose that time because it fit in perfectly with other activities on the same day. I think after 6 is still okay for many. Sometimes it's easier than the 4/4.30 times, which are such a rush after school.

#25 Expelliarmus

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:31 PM

That's a really good point, Quill. We're really not the people to be asking the question.

FTR my children are taught by a private teacher at school and because the teacher can group students/access a large number of students and gets a stipend from the school to run the band, I think it costs significantly less. I'm very lucky that the school pretty much subsidises the woodwind and brass teacher (who quite frankly is amazing as she also plays keyboard, percussion and strings in addition to conducting!) but would expect to pay more if I was accessing private lessons out hours  in the manner of the OP.

Edited by howdo, 23 January 2013 - 12:32 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Tell us what you think

to WIN 1 of 2 $500 Coles/Myer gift cards

Dealing with a toddler's morning tantrums

Your schedule is not important to your two-year-old, and you cannot convince her otherwise. So what can you do?

Child in suitcase 'could have died eight years ago'

A child whose remains were dumped in a suitcase in the South Australian bush is believed to have been a girl aged between two-and-a-half to four.

MP breastfeeds baby during parliamentary session

An Argentinian mum and politician has caused a stir on social media after being filmed breastfeeding her baby.

My baby's first seizure

It was 1am on a cold winter's night when I woke suddenly to the screams of my 12-month-old son. Our lives were about to change forever.

Portable pools 'more dangerous than permanent ones'

Inflatable and portable children's pools may be required to be sold with compulsory fencing to prevent backyard drownings, with some experts even floating the idea of a ban.

Heartbreaking moment mum kisses her one-week-old goodbye

At 11.07am on April 2 this year, Sarah Marriott welcomed baby Sebastian into the world.

The amazing Tee Pee bed and kid-friendly Frankie Bunk bed

These kids' beds definitely fit the brief of providing personality and personal space for little people who are moving up in the world.

The funny things kids say when you're pregnant

Since becoming noticeably pregnant, my son has taken more of an interest in the sibling he'll soon have.

The real problem with having one child

In this age of political correctness, it seems the one subject still subject to discrimination is that of the Only Child.

Six-week-old baby found dead, believed stabbed

A neighbour heard a child screaming before a baby was found dead, believed to have been stabbed, in a house in Newcastle.

The fire hazard in more than 70,000 Australian homes

So far, 206 Samsung washing machines have caught fire and some have exploded. But many remain in people's homes.

How having a baby can bring on OCD

We all know that having a baby can turn your life upside down - and it can also bring a raft of new anxieties and worries.

IVF gender selection being considered for Australian parents

Couples using IVF may be able to choose the gender of their babies and women could be financially compensated for donating their eggs.

The best age to get married (according to the latest study)

Not too young, and not too old. That's reportedly the best age to get married. Not everyone agrees.

Yes, you can get pregnant before your period returns post-baby

After giving birth, the last thing you want to think about is contraception. But you can get pregnant before your period comes back.

Fellow diner rewards mum after toddler's tantrum

Parents of toddlers everywhere know the feeling. After working up the courage to take your child out for lunch or dinner in public you are rewarded with a mid-meal meltdown. 

IKEA begins massive safety campaign after two toddler deaths

Two children were killed when pieces from their Malm furniture line tipped over.

Beaneasy: sweet nursery furniture with a twist

If you're looking to introduce an organic element into your baby's nursery but want to step away from natural timber, we have the perfect alternative.

A dad's guide to hyperemesis

I am in no way qualified to advise women on how to cope with hyperemesis, but I've learnt some lessons that might be worth sharing with other partners.

Woman adopts best friend's four daughters after cancer tragedy

Best friends share everything - and for these two life-long friends, that includes family.

Baby Leo's mum excluded from $500K trust 'for her own protection'

Samuel Forrest didn't want his wife as a trustee of their baby Leo's half million dollar trust for her own "protection", it has emerged.

Confirmed: men gain weight when they become dads

Men who become fathers experience weight gain and an increase in body mass index, a measurement of body fat based on height and weight, according to a new, large-scale study

Carer investigated over washing machine photo posted 'for a laugh'

She said the photo of a boy with Down syndrome in a washing machine was taken just for fun, but no one else was laughing.

Mum's premature labour nightmare after high tea salmonella outbreak

An opulent high tea at a luxury Melbourne hotel has left 44 people with salmonella poisoning - including a pregnant woman, who went into early labour.

The day my son started a fire

Would you know what to do in a fire emergency? How safe is your home and family?

Prince George celebrates second birthday

Prince George's second birthday has been marked by the release of an official picture showing the toddler smiling as he is held by his proud beaming father.

Which beauty treatments are safe in pregnancy?

Is it safe to use fake tan, hair dye and nail varnish during pregnancy?

The five ways I know my 'baby' is no longer a baby

The truth is, I can no longer deny that my walking, babbling, somewhat-independent little miss is no longer a bona fide 'baby'.

Review: Cybex Platinum PRIAM pram

I'm not usually one who believes in love at first sight but that's exactly what happened when I first saw the Cybex PRIAM.

Get your FREE Baby & Toddler Show ticket!

Get your free ticket to the Sydney Essential Baby & Toddler Show for September 25-27 - register online now.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Tell us what you think

to WIN 1 of 2 $500 Coles/Myer gift cards

Why I'm choosing to be a single mother right from the start

I believe that you get out of families what you put into them, and I will give mine my all.

Mother and baby units are a necessity for mental health, not a luxury

I have had two postnatal psychotic episodes. The first when my eldest child was six weeks old, and another after my second child was born.

30 French baby names

French names are always in fashion, but a few have risen in popularity in recent years.

New mum's Spanish maternity nightmare

A British woman who gave birth in Spain has told of her ordeal after spending weeks trying to convince medics the baby girl was hers.

Preparing Rover to be a good dog with baby

Some friends of ours say that it's dangerous to have a dog around a newborn and that we should start looking for a new home for him. Is it?

Company offers to ship working mums' breast milk home

First Apple and Facebook announced they would pay $20,000 towards the cost of their female employees freezing their eggs, now IBM in the US has come up with an innovative new policy aimed at retaining female employees.

Prince William speaks of his pride at wife Kate and 'little joy of heaven' Charlotte

The Duke of Cambridge opened up about family life and his plans for the future in an interview to mark his first day as an air ambulance pilot.

'Glowing' eye saves baby Mason's life

A simple photo taken in front of an evening fire gave new mother Sarah Bowers the power to save her baby's life. 

Parenting and decision overload

Of all the advice people told me before having a baby, no one warned me about the amount of decisions involved.

Proof that toddlers can't be left unsupervised - ever

Parents of toddlers all know the moment when realise your child is being suspiciously quiet. It can only mean one thing - trouble!

Meet Jeremy Ryan, The Voice contestant with seven kids

If you have trouble recalling the ages of Jeremy Ryan's seven children on The Voice, you're not alone. So does he.

Baby's adorable reaction to wearing glasses for the first time

Getting glasses can be a formative moment in a person's life.

Police officer buys supplies for family after mum of six caught shoplifting

When a mum of six was caught shoplifting nappies, clothes and shoes for her kids, the last thing she expected was for a stranger to pay for her haul.

Why pregnant women on antidepressants shouldn’t panic about birth defect claims

The risk of having uncontrolled depression is far greater than the small increased risk of birth defects that may be associated with specific antidepressants.

Arrests made over children's birthday party brawl

Police have raided properties and arrested a number of people over a brawl at a child's birthday party at a play centre in Sydney's west.

Family shares awesome drone baby announcement

Looking for a creative way to share some big news? Look to the skies, like this family did.

Young warrior Owen defies doctors' predictions

Little Owen DiCandilo's name means "young warrior", and it's a description that perfectly fits the inspiring 18-month-old

Advice for dads: when to approach your wife for sex

The exhaustion that comes with caring for young children often means romance between parents becomes a thing of the past.

I might be fat, but I don't need saving

I've been fat for pretty much most of life, besides a few crazy moments of being less-fat, but for the most part I've existed on this earth with a little more meat on my bones than desirable.

The rookie mistakes we make as parents

Since the dawn of civilisation, generation after generation of new parents have had to rely on instinct, trial and error - and sometimes get it wrong.

FREE TICKET

See Pinky McKay live in Sydney

Get your free ticket to The Essential Baby & Toddler Show and save $20 - register online now!

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.