How much would you pay for music lessons?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 ~polly~

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:11 PM

I am planning on starting a home business teaching flute to beginners but I'm not sure how much to charge. Is $30 for 30 minutes reasonable / too high or low?  What do you currently pay for private music lessons?
I am considering offering the first lesson free and/or satisfaction guarentee with a refund for the first month of lesson if they are not happy.

I have  AMusA diploma and can prepare students for AMEB exams or playing just for fun.  I can also play piano so could accompany students.

Since I work I would only be able to conduct lessons after 6pm Mon to Thur, anytime Friday and possibly Saturday mornings.  Does this provide enough flexibility?  I would like to avoid Saturdays if I can.

I'm interested in any advice.

TIA

#2 CallMeFeral

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:16 PM

That price sounds ballpark I think.
I have paid between $60 and $85 per hour for singing lessons.

Edited by CallMeAliG, 22 January 2013 - 04:17 PM.

#3 capper

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:23 PM

I pay $35 a half hour lesson for both saxophone and guitar.  That is in Sydney.

#4 Expelliarmus

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

I pay slightly less for flute, clarinet, trumpet and piano lessons -  $21-$25. But I am aware that I'm getting it cheap original.gif

#5 Mumsyto2

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

We are on a good wicket. $120 per school term per child for piano (plus music theory books plus new practice books as required). 1hr session once a week and if child misses a lesson due to illness or whatever then too bad, they don't get a make up lesson at another time & no refund for that lesson all of which I feel is fair. She gives homework (theory & practice), amount dependant upon childs age and ability. She only does weekdays before or after school, no weekend or school holidays - she has high school age kids herself so probably needs weekends and holidays to run around after them.

I'm pretty sure the teacher does not have any quals (not sure but I am assuming) but for that price I don't care. I know some of her students do exams (you can elect to do this) and they pay the same lesson prices as we do. Twice a year she hires the local school hall and all of her students perform a piece for the parents.

I'm sure there are probably much better teachers out there whose kids are complete prodigies but for what we want out of it for the kids we are happy with her - especially for the price  biggrin.gif

Edited by Mumsyto2, 22 January 2013 - 04:32 PM.

#6 SlinkyMalinki

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:39 PM

That sounds reasonable to me.

#7 sparassidae

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:41 PM

We have paid between $30 and $40 for 1/2 hr piano, trumpet, trombone. So your price sounds fine.

#8 barrington

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:44 PM

We pay three different instrumenal teachers - all charge $30 per half hour lesson

#9 jakc_

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

I pay $30 per 30 mins per week for guitar lessons

#10 adnama

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:46 PM

I was paying $15 for $15 minutes last year for guitar

#11 Kafkaesque

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:21 PM

I paid $120 per month for a thirty hour singing lesson each week. If there were 5 weeks in a month we got a bonus.

#12 CountryFeral

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

I just paid $25.50 for 1/2 an hour!

(I think I might have a little crush on my teacher too..... )

#13 petals1

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:26 PM

$35 for a half hour ( in sydney and the teacher comes to the house)

#14 Shellby

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:47 PM

Its $27 for 30 minutes here for saxophone.

Not sure about only after 6pm, for primary kids that is pretty late - they may just had dinner or about to, then come home and get ready for bed - we tend to avoid anything after 5pm for something regular - currently his lesson is 3:45pm - they tend to do adults after 6pm at our music school.

#15 kerilyntaryn

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:52 PM

Depends on what other teachers are charging in the area - I have to charge less than what is recommended due to what others are charging

#16 leisamd

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:14 PM

We pay $50 an hour for violin lessons, it's a bargain because the teacher is incredible!

#17 Canberra Chick

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:30 PM

We pay $32 a half hour. This includes the exercise book t record practice and progress, but obviously not the actual music books. I think this is a fair price. DS's piano teacher is amazing and has really brought him along in the past year. Oh and she gives us hell if he has long fingernails!  blush.gif

#18 hamire

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:00 PM

Which state are you in? In Victoria there is the VMTA website which has recommended rates there. Just check with whatever state you are in that you aren't required to be registered to teach.

I think between $30-40 per half hour is reasonable. If you are teaching from home, therefore don't need to travel, I would consider being at the lower end. However if you are relatively new to teaching, then I would say $25-28 per half hour. You may have the ability to play your instrument well, but that doesn't always mean that you will be a fantastic teacher straight away. I wouldn't want to be paying top price for a beginner teacher. Please don't take offence to that - I just think that your fees should reflect your teaching experience.

Good luck original.gif

#19 Jellybean900

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:38 PM

Violin - $45 for 30 minutes in Sydney

#20 unicorn

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:55 PM

$50 an hour for drums. My piano teacher when I was a youngun used to charge a donation, she was very talented and rather flamboyant, I remember her looking something like Barbara Cartland, but an orange version.

#21 mindy05

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:47 AM

My DD has drum lessons at a music store with studios out the back and pays $28 per half hour. Her current teacher is a student, I believe, but has also played drums for an up and coming Aussie rock band and seems to be teaching DD a lot.
DS's piano teacher charges $30 per half hour. She has just completed her masters in Ed, taught DS Kindermusik when he was at kinder, and is brilliant.
I agree with a PP that after 6 is quite late to be taking littlies to a music lesson midweek, and you may need to seriously think about offering Saturday lessons.

#22 kerilyntaryn

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:09 AM

The going rate according to the Music Association is

Recommended 2013 Minimum Tuition Fees for a Private Studio Music Teacher:

Professional Member:    $65 (plus BST, if applicable) per hour
(A Professional Member has performance and pedagogy qualifications in their chosen instrument(s) and/or at least five years of teaching experience attested to by student results in examinations or eisteddfods.)

Associate Member:   $55 (plus GST, if applicable) per hour
(An Associate Member is working towards Professional Membership - e.g. has performance qualifications and needs to gain the appropriate pedagogy qualificiations, or is still accumulating student results.)

Student Member:    $45 (plus GST, if applicable) per hour
(A Student Member is enrolled in full- or part-time study towards any of the Professional Member qualifications.)

Recommended Minimum Group Lesson Fee:

$90 per hour (to be divided between the students in the group - e.g. $45 each for two students, $30 each for three students etc.)

Edited by kerilyntaryn, 23 January 2013 - 10:12 AM.

#23 kerilyntaryn

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:14 AM

I am considering offering the first lesson free and/or satisfaction guarentee with a refund for the first month of lesson if they are not happy -  I wouldn't - kids change their mind a lot so do their parents,  they need to pay for your time and service

I think after 6 will cut out most of your students

#24 treetree

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:29 AM

Sounds okay to me. We pay similar.

We also have an after 6 lesson. We actually chose that time because it fit in perfectly with other activities on the same day. I think after 6 is still okay for many. Sometimes it's easier than the 4/4.30 times, which are such a rush after school.

#25 Expelliarmus

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:31 PM

That's a really good point, Quill. We're really not the people to be asking the question.

FTR my children are taught by a private teacher at school and because the teacher can group students/access a large number of students and gets a stipend from the school to run the band, I think it costs significantly less. I'm very lucky that the school pretty much subsidises the woodwind and brass teacher (who quite frankly is amazing as she also plays keyboard, percussion and strings in addition to conducting!) but would expect to pay more if I was accessing private lessons out hours  in the manner of the OP.

Edited by howdo, 23 January 2013 - 12:32 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How I learnt to relax about routines

After many routine-led, tough years, we've realised that being parenting isn't about being perfect. It isn't about following a schedule to a T.

Should you have a third child or not?

I thought our family had been complete with our two boys. I had no idea how much I needed my daughter until she was here.

Helping a toddler embrace an adopted sibling

A single parent by choice, I am preparing to adopt a second baby from Morocco. And I face a special challenge.

When pregnancy messes with your self-esteem

Pregnancy doesn't make all women feel beautiful. It certainly doesn't raise every woman's self-esteem.

Join us in The BIG nappy change

Introducing the new Coles Little Explorer Nappies! You can confidently rely on Coles Little Explorer nappies at each stage of your child's growth, so take the Big Nappy Change and try new Coles Little Explorer nappies for yourself!

Robbie Williams live tweets wife's labour

And the award for most patient woman in labour goes to ... Robbie Williams' wife, Ayda Field.

Vaccine ignorance is deadly and contagious

In the absence of credible, strong political leadership, paranoia about disease can go viral.

Parenting differently based on birth order

All children have unique personalities, but keeping birth order in mind could help when parenting.

How to get rid of the mum guilt

Motherhood and guilt seem to go hand in hand, but there are ways to focus

Paid parental leave scheme grinds to a halt

The future of Prime Minister Tony Abbott's paid parental leave scheme appears to be up in the air, despite the fact it is due to begin in less than nine months.

The devastation of foetal alcohol spectrum disorders

No one's sure how many Australians are affected by foetal alcohol spectrum disorders, but the consequences for those who are can be devastating.

The pros and cons of finding out the sex of your unborn baby

It’s often one of the biggest choices parents make during the course of their pregnancy; to find out, or not to find out, the sex of their baby before it’s born.

Toddler's awesome dress up month

Two-year-old Willow and her photographer mum, Gina Lee, made October "Dress Up Willow Month". She posted photos of Willow's costumes on her Instagram account, and her creative takes on popular culture are simply adorable.

Childhood around the world

It can be easy to assume our ideas around childhood are universal, but they are particular to where we live, as these practices show.

Best picks for baby and toddler shoes

Here's a great selection of footwear from pre-walker to walker ensuring comfort and style for growing feet.

I lost my wife and daughters to Ebola - then it came for my son

Sunday, September 21, is a day I will never forget.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss. It involves toilet talk, and probably caused my miscarriage. But it needs to be talked about.

Prenatal testing: the facts

Prenatal testing is done to check if a baby has certain medical conditions before birth. Here is some important information about what the tests are for and the risks involved.

5 things to do with your baby?s old clothes

Did you think your only option for your baby?s old clothes was to pack them away or give them to the Salvos? Think again.

Why it's possible to not realise you're pregnant until the baby arrives

After hearing about 'surprise babies' born to mums who didn't know they were pregnant, it's common to ask "how did she not realise?" But experts say it's entirely possible for it to happen.

'My miracle is finally here'

How has the world continued on its pace when mine has been altered so drastically?

Dairy can help older women fall pregnant: study

Ice cream may be the ultimate comfort food, but a study suggests it could also help older women to have children.

Megan Gale goes topless for 'sexiest people' cover

Six months after a heavily pregnant Megan Gale posed nude for Marie Claire, the glowing new mum has gone topless for the cover of another magazine.

A new perspective on life from living with two diseases

A mother shares her personal story about the difficulty of living with two conditions, one of which stops her from being able to see her daughter's face.

Warning about Children's Panadol dosage

The Therapeutic Goods Administration has issued a safety advisory warning parents about confusion when using the dosing syringe supplied with Children's Panadol.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Take 'The Coles Big Nappy Change' Challenge

You could become part of our Test Drive team and win one of 200 packs of Coles Little Explorer Nappies as part of our 5-day challenge.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Join us in The BIG nappy change

Introducing the new Coles Little Explorer Nappies! You can confidently rely on Coles Little Explorer nappies at each stage of your child's growth, so take the Big Nappy Change and try new Coles Little Explorer nappies for yourself!

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Weird trend

Couple has five babies in 14 months

Julie and David Grygla weren't sure they'd ever have kids - but their dreams have now well and truly come true.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.