Does anyone else have to do sneaky sleep feeds due to outright breast refusal?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 deejie

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:53 AM

I am feeling pretty down today.

I have battled intermittent bouts of breast refusal (more refusing than accepting) with DS2(13m) for 4 months. He never took a bottle or had any other milk, so I have no idea why he is this way. At 10 months, an LC I saw successfully got him back to the breast. He would feed before his day nap, before bed at night and then reverse cycle and feed all night. Frustrating, but hey, at least he was feeding.

I had a good month where he would accept the day feed before his nap after lunch, but for the past 5 days have had outright refusal. Screaming at the sight of the breast, arching his back, pushing away. He will (surprisingly) go to sleep very happily without the feed. Offering at other times of the day produces the same behaviour. Now the 7pm BF before bed is starting to go the same way sad.gif

Problem is: he will only sleep for 40min without the day feed or the feed before bed. This tells me he still *needs* it, even if he doesn't think he *wants* it (if that makes any sense). So I let him go to sleep without it, then ten minutes in to the sleep, rouse him gently and being 90% unconscious, he will happily take the feed and sleep for 2 hours through the day or do a 3-4 hour stretch until 10 or 11pm when he feeds again. A comfort feed somewhere in the night and a big one between 4-5am.

All my tricks the LC showed me are failing miserably. He will *not* feed when he is awake. Has anyone else been in this situation where their baby will only feed when they are asleep? I have no idea what to do from here sad.gif I can't help but feel terribly rejected sad.gif

I remember telling myself in the middle of his terrible breast refusal episodes that I would be thrilled just to make it to a year with this child. But now we're at 13m, I still don't feel ready to stop sad.gif

EFS

Edited by deejie, 22 January 2013 - 11:54 AM.

#2 Mummy Em

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

Sorry to hear that. It hasn't happened to me, but i have heard of it happening to other women so you are not alone. I can't offer any ideas though, sorry.

#3 brindle

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:05 PM

Yep. My DS2 was the same from about 8 mths of age. I was keen to keep going too, but he wasn't that interested. He wasn't taking a bottle either. Just keep for food and cups... and being part of the activity around him.

I ended up BF to 12 mths, but getting him sleepy from his cot in the morning, and doing a sleepy night-time feed too. Just gave up with the day-time stuff unless he really seemed keen (usually over-tired). I figured 2 BF a day was pretty good going.

Don't feel rejected - at 13m your fella is growing up and busy. As with food, all we can do is offer - it is up to them whether they take it or not.

#4 lucky 2

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:38 PM

Hey deejie, sorry to hear you are feeling down.
I suppose you do have options, you keep trying to get him to take feeds when he is awake and he keeps refusing or starts to take some or he doesn't and you stop offering, thus weaning has occured.
Or you keep doing the sneaky feeds if it value adds, ie longer naps, you feel better getting some breast milk into him.
What might tip you one way or the other is the impact it is having on you rather than him and I could see that a mother could forget that aspect.
Could you give him an extra magnificently nutritious snack prior to his day nap to see if that will help him sleep longer?
I think the sneaky feed in the evening is pretty ingenious.
You can continue to do that as long as you wish, I've not heard of it but kudos to you for coming up with the idea.
Or you do what I did, sort of accept the refusal (begrudingly) but refuse not to give breast milk, express and give it to him by another method, which hopefully he will take, in a cup would be the easiest for you. If he refuses the cup you could put it in his food (fresh milk ideal) and maybe he will eventually take it in a cup.
Which sounds easiest? Maybe there are other options but you are doing your best re techniques for coaxing a baby back to the breast.
Best wishesx.

#5 iwanttosleepin

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:47 PM

I gave up with the breastfeeding at 11 months because my DS just refused.  First it was the day feeds, then the night feed and then eventually the only one he would want was 3am.  Game over little fella!

He never had a bottle and just moved to food including cows milk.

#6 beaglebaby

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:12 AM

I think you've been totally ingenious to find a way to make him feed and sleep, well done.  DS2 (now 4) went through refusal at 8-9 months, it lasted several weeks and we never worked out what caused it.  I expressed and added milk to everything he ate but he wouldn't drink anything from a cup or bottle.  I tried feeding him in the usual places, strange places, outside, in the bath, while he was sleeping etc etc, nothing worked.  I saw a LC and the most useless GP I've ever met!  I was a mess.

One day he started playing with the button on my cardi and tried to shove it in his mouth - it gave me an idea.  I grabbed a nipple shield (we'd never used one before - I still had a brand new packet DS1) and he tried to shove that in his mouth.  So I expressed a little into it, put it in place and let him put his mouth on it and it was like he suddenly remembered feeding!  He wouldn't lie still and feed any more but he ended up feeding until after he turned 2!

Best of luck, I hope this isn't the beginning of the end of your BF journey but if it is you know you have tried absolutely everything possible and given your son a wonderful start to life.

#7 deejie

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:37 PM

Thanks everyone. I am feeling really bummed today. I don't understand why he will take a feed so willingly at night time and refuse the same thing during the day.

QUOTE (beaglebaby @ 23/01/2013, 01:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Best of luck, I hope this isn't the beginning of the end of your BF journey but if it is you know you have tried absolutely everything possible and given your son a wonderful start to life.

The logical part of my brain knows this. The illogical, emotional part feels like a breastfeeding failure. DS1 was a real boobie baby and self weaned just shy of his second birthday, and I kind of expected DS2 be the same, you know? Instead I seem to have this child who seems to have no survival instincts at all. I don't think he eats adequate amounts of solids, yet he refuses his one real source of sustenance sad.gif

I don't really know what to do. My heart isn't in it to keep feeding this way and my heart isn't in it to wean him either sad.gif

#8 crankybee

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

Well unfortunately you're being told by your LO that what your heart wants doesn't matter! He doesn't want to be breastfed any more. End of.

#9 deejie

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:03 PM

QUOTE (crankybee @ 23/01/2013, 01:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well unfortunately you're being told by your LO that what your heart wants doesn't matter! He doesn't want to be breastfed any more. End of.

Just charming, Crankybee. Thanks for that. Way to go in the breastfeeding support forum and all.

#10 axiomae

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:43 PM

I know the feeling! I've just been through a breast refusal phase with DD (7 months) where she fought the breast during the day but would have a big feed at the dreamfeed. Oh how I love that dreamfeed! So calm and snuggly original.gif

#11 Isobell

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

Hi deejieI know this thread is a few days old and I hope you're feeling better now. I just wanted to let you know that I am going through a similar thing and also feeling really sad. My 14 month old DS has refused his regular 2 x daily feeds for the past 5 days. I have no idea why, he just doesn't want it at all. I have tried various times of the time but its always the same, he pops on for a second or two, them pops off and rolls away and won't g0 back on. shrug.gif  shrug.gif
In theory I was hoping he would self -wean around now as we would like to TTC #2 and that will require IVF, which means no more BFing. But now the time has come I am not ready and I feel he is too young to really be self-weaning and that I must be doing something wrong. I know it's silly but I feel so rejected by him. So anyway (hug)

#12 SplashingRainbows

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:33 PM

Hey Deejie

Just wanted to send you a big hug. You've done so well. 13 months is a cracker effort.

You know I know you want to do the best thing by your son, but it sounds like you're not quite sure what that is as he is giving mixed signals. Maybe then, since it might be easier to determine, you could think about what you think might help you best (no doubt the bf rejection isn't easy to take on a long term basis) and give that a trial?

My MIL had one milk addict baby and one who was never keen. FWIW both of them positively adore her (so do I - she is awesome). Both got what they needed throughout their whole lives. While your son might not need or want breast milk right now, it doesn't mean you won't do what it takes to give him the things he does identify he needs. So hard though isn't it - working out the difference when they can't tell you.

I'm sure you'll do a wonderful job.

Take care

#13 deejie

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:00 PM

Thanks to everyone for their positive comments and kindness.

He took his 7pm feed before bed last night without a fuss.... thank goodness. The screeching, wailing and general hysteria of trying to get him to sleep without it was enormously stressful. He might refuse it again tonight.... who knows with this child.... but having a good night has much improved my spirits.

I still have to sneak in and rouse him to breastfeed 10min after he falls asleep for his midday nap and if he refuses the evening feed otherwise he wakes in 40minutes in hysteria and won't take it. Or go back to sleep if it's the day nap. Strange way of going about things, I guess.... but it seems to be working okay so I guess I'll just keep on keeping on for now. WIth him still not consuming anything near a decent amount of solids it makes me feel a bit better to know he is having some BM.

He is still waking every 2.5-3 hours overnight and will BF then  if I offer it rolleyes.gif If only he showed such any enthusiasm through the daylight hours.

Having DS1 climb into my lap and bat at my shirt for a BF was so sweet. I am a bit sad I will never get to experience "properly" feeding DS2 in to toddlerhood. But for now I think my aim is to do what I can to get any in to him and enjoy what BFing time we have left.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss, as it involves toilet talk. But it needs to be talked about.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.