Injured and cannot work
can I get anything for it?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 GreenEyedGirl

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:42 AM

Hi
I broke my ankle 2 days ago (non work related) and will be having surgery later today as the bones need pins and plates in them.
Obviously I am going to unable to work and as I work in childcare I will probably not be able to go back to work for 1 month rather than the 2 weeks (had i a job where I could sit)

Am a bit stressed about the money as DHs income goes towards house repayments and other repayments and we live off my salary.

Any ideas on what I can do.

Can I claim anything from centerlink? i did read something about a sickness allowance ... at this point any money would be better than none.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Sorry wasn't sure where to put this thread so thought maybe here would be best

#2 annie13

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:51 AM

I would ask to see the hospital social worker.  They can help with things like that.

#3 giggleandhoot

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:55 AM

Do you have any  personal insurance?

#4 GreenEyedGirl

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:31 AM

DH & I have life insurance

#5 9ferals

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:38 AM

Do you have any sick leave or annual leave from work that you can take? Or is there any option for them to give you leave in advance?

If it was me I would check this with work first of all, also ask is there any option where they can give you a different job to do temporarily (I can't think of what that would be in childcare, but you could ask!) so you could go back sooner.

Good idea to talk to a hospital social worker, they should know what's available if you don't get covered by work.

Good luck with the surgery and recovery - I had pins and plates in a badly broken ankle about 10 years ago and found that it took a while to get back to normal but I can do anything now.

#6 qak

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:40 AM

Check if your superannuation has any income protection type policy.  TBH they usually have longer waiting periods, but just check!

#7 giggleandhoot

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:44 AM

yeah check if you have income protection original.gif

#8 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:45 AM

You would probably be entitled to Centrelink sickness benefit if you have used up your sick leave and meet the asset and income tests.

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/s...kness-allowance

#9 charlie23

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:48 AM

Can you have a look at your Super & see if there is any provision in there for you to claim?

Can you discuss with your Centre if you can do "paperwork" - meaning still be counted for ratios & get paid? If your centre is a good one hopefully they can accomodate you somehow?  

I have worked / had kids in centres where certain staff who have had medical issues (bad backs/ arthritis, etc) were still working but spent the day "sitting"  but still interacting with the kids.

Good luck.

#10 FeralDancesHere

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:57 AM

QUOTE (Regular Show @ 22/01/2013, 12:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
DF had an non-work related injury a few months ago. We had no income protection. He was off of work for 3 months + . 1 month of this we had no money coming in.

The centrelink sickness benefit is extremely hard to get. If you only need 1 month off of work you will be back at work before you'd be approved for the allowance and before they had a chance to start paying it.

Its a long slow process.

This unfortunately.

And if your DH earns much above minimum wage you wont get anything either.

I tried to get it when I was injured (and pregnant), and the sole income earner and it wasn't worth it.

#11 SMforshort

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

Talk to your bank.  You may be able to pause your home repayments for a couple of months.

#12 GreenEyedGirl

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:18 PM

Well I have asked work and they said because of 'duty of care' they cannot have me back at work until I am able to resume my normal duties.
Will get hubby to talk to bank and will talk to the hospital social worker.
DH does earn about 6-7k/mnth so probably will not get anything from centrelink

#13 MrsLexiK

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

QUOTE (fefe76 @ 22/01/2013, 12:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
DH & I have life insurance

Do you have income protection and are either in your super fund or out.  Call your broker/company if it is with a broker and out of super.  Some policies have "specified illness or injury"  I know the IP policies we write (which are all out of super) all have a payment for specific injury or sickness.  ie if you get cancer you will get 6 months paid regardless of any time off work.  If you break your wrist it might be one month. When insurance is in super it is has to meet tighter regulations/rules.  Most IP in Super is for 90 days (unless you specifically mention less) and it tends to only pay for TPD.  If you can prove TPD (which you maybe able to but you will most probably not meet the test) then the money will be paid to your super fund.  Whether you can access the money is a different story.

I would def talk to the hospital social worker as when we spoke to them with my uncle they were fantastic.  So wonderful.

Also your bank probably has an option where you can pause the repayments for 3 or 6 months.  This means that once the 6 months is up they recalc how much your payments will be so you still pay your mortgage out on time.  This usually means that you will pay more then you currently are when the payments resume, if you do not think you can afford that then the above isn't going to be an option unless you can cut spending elsewhere.  I know my bank only allows it in 3 month intervals and I do not think you can pay any onto the mortgage while you are taking the break.  You may however have a bit up your sleeve if you have not been moving the minimum repayment down as the interest rates have been coming down.  

I am sorry you seem to be having a sucky time OP

#14 FeralEsme

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

Yes, if you only need a month off work, it's very unlikely you'll get anything from centrelink or income protection if you have it. If money is really, really tight, the best bet is probably to contact your bank and see if your loan has a 'repayment holiday' option. That will free up some money to live off, but when you start repaying your minimum repayment will be slightly higher (but if it's only a month it would be pretty negligible).

Edited by Jemstar, 22 January 2013 - 12:22 PM.

#15 Therese

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:27 PM

You poor thing.

I think the best thing to do is to ring your bank and have a chat to them about your mortgage repayments too.

#16 9ferals

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

QUOTE (fefe76 @ 22/01/2013, 10:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well I have asked work and they said because of 'duty of care' they cannot have me back at work until I am able to resume my normal duties.

Good idea to talk to the bank and the social worker.
And ask your doctors or physio about when they anticipate you could return to "normal duties" at work - when I had pins and plates in my ankle there was no way I would have been back to normal mobility in 1 month - I had plaster for 6 weeks and crutches for a few more weeks after that. Hopefully yours is not so severe, but your will be able plan better if you can anticipate how much time you need off.

#17 qak

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

Is there any possibility your work has a policy on you?  My work has one on me as a key person.

#18 charlie23

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:46 PM

QUOTE (fefe76 @ 22/01/2013, 01:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well I have asked work and they said because of 'duty of care' they cannot have me back at work until I am able to resume my normal duties

That sucks Fe. I am sorry your centre isn't a bit more accomodating to your situation.

The centre my DD & DS went to had an older lady who basically couldn't walk for more than a few steps & couldn't stand for anymore than 5 minutes & seriously if a chid had hurt themselves she wouldn't have been able to do a thing and yet she was working FT in a 3-5 room. (This was a private kindy)

Another centre where I worked / DD went had an morbidly obese room leader (2-3 room) & once again she had a very difficult time getting up & down, so spent her day "sitting" on a chair. (This was an alphabet centre)

Very frustrating for you. sad.gif

Edited by charlie23, 22 January 2013 - 12:47 PM.

#19 GreenEyedGirl

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

That sucks Fe. I am sorry your centre isn't a bit more accomodating to your situation.

unfortunately since i have been with them i seem to have had nothing but bad luck.
my dad was seriously ill so i had to go overseas for 2 weeks to see him
then i had an ectopic removed so had time off then
then had a gastro infection recently so had a few days off and now this
at the end of the day I am just relief staff and one of 40+ staff they employ so in the big scheme of things I am nothing!
will just have to see what I can manage to come up with elsewhere and get onto the bank and maybe check my super

#20 solongsuckers

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

omg totally feeling your pain here. My DH broke his ankle too on Friday and he will be off work for at least 6 weeks although the more I read about his injury the more it seems it might be longer. We don't even know yet if he will need surgery.

He has 2 weeks holidays and 1 week sick leave but after that we are screwed. Even that will suck because most of his wage is overtime. I really don't know what we are going to do!

He has income protection through super but it has 60 day waiting period

#21 flopsy

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:25 PM

My DP was off work for over 6 months with an injured knee and we were entitled to a big fat nothing! My $32k a year is apparently enough to cover us both (our rent alone was $20k).

I feel for you OP and hope that your recovery is as swift as can be. Would your boss let you put feelers out for families at your centre that might require babysitting in the evenings/on weekends? Could be a nice little earner while you are out of work and the parents would probably be comfortable with you as their kids already know you. Might be worth a shot.

#22 MrsLexiK

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:35 PM

QUOTE (qak @ 22/01/2013, 01:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is there any possibility your work has a policy on you? My work has one on me as a key person.

We have clients we have structured with this, all to often the company that owns/pays for the insurance doesn't always give it to the client as it is to cover the loss to the business.  (This should be that the said person can still be paid wages rant.gif , can you tell I have had clients companies screw them over.)

But OP if is there a group policy you are part of at all with your employer? being 40 + workers these types of policies are taken out in lots of different areas and industries and all employees (as long as full time) are able to opt in.

#23 Escapin

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

The other thing is with your super, under SOME conditions, you can apply for financial hardship and get up to $10k of your super. It's definitely worth a phone call to your super fund to find out if you would qualify.

#24 Lil Chickens

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

QUOTE (fefe76 @ 22/01/2013, 01:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

His income is way too high for you to get Sickness Allowance.

#25 JRA

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

QUOTE (Jemstar @ 22/01/2013, 12:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, if you only need a month off work, it's very unlikely you'll get anything from centrelink or income protection if you have it. If money is really, really tight, the best bet is probably to contact your bank and see if your loan has a 'repayment holiday' option. That will free up some money to live off, but when you start repaying your minimum repayment will be slightly higher (but if it's only a month it would be pretty negligible).

As has been said, generally income protection will only come in to play after X days off work. To have the X a small number like 10 or 20 generally makes the insurance a lot more expensive.

Good luck OP, and I hope the ankle improves quickly

Edited by JRA, 22 January 2013 - 08:14 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.