"please comfort infants outside"
note on a fancy resturuant menu

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 Chief Pancake Make

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:54 AM

DH and I went out for lunch at a very nice resturuant on the weekend with our 8 week old baby who slept the entire time we were there.  

I had been planning to BF her at the table covered in a wrap should she wake up (because I feel self conscious, not because I care what other people think)

DH noticed the note on bottom of the menu "please comfort infants outside"  this resturuant has no foyer or powder room with chairs, or any undercover area so outside is on the footpath or in the car park.

Do you interperate the note to mean - if the kid is screaming and disturbing other guests please go outside - or we dont want you breast feeding in our resturuant?

WDYT?

#2 erindiv

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:57 AM

I would take it to mean if your baby is screaming, take them outside.

#3 liveworkplay

I think it is a nice way of saying if your child cannot behave like an adult we do not want them here. I also think it gives them an out to be able to ask a BF mother to leave.

There is a very famous restaurant in Melbourne which does not allow (or didn't when I lived there) children at all. It has been taken to VCAT and found in it's favour.

#4 Riotproof

I would assume its screaming.. Breastfeeding a very young baby is a non issue.

#5 JoMarch

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:58 AM

Wow, how odd!  I would interpret it as they don't want screaming babies in their restaurant, but I'll be interested to see what others think?!

#6 countrymel

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:58 AM

QUOTE (Chief Pancake Make @ 22/01/2013, 09:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you interperate the note to mean - if the kid is screaming and disturbing other guests please go outside

I would interpret it as that.

And support it.

#7 BadCat

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:59 AM

Sounds like crying or screaming to me.  Feeding is not comforting.  Well it can be but you know what I mean.

#8 Maple Leaf

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:59 AM

QUOTE (countrymel @ 22/01/2013, 08:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would interpret it as that.

And support it.

Me too.

I would LOVE to go to that restaurant!

#9 3mummy3

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:01 AM

Its about the screaming i would say and fair enough too. Diners at a fancy restraunt shouldnt have to listen to screaming babies.

#10 MsDemeanor

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:03 AM

Wish all restaurants had that policy!

#11 lucky 2

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:04 AM

It doesn't matter if the comforting involves breast feeding, it's a given that can and does happen, I wouldn't even bother to entertain the idea that you cannot breastfeed/feed your baby.
But if your baby is inconsolable despite being offered a feed then please take said screaming infant out of the restaurant.

#12 Moo point

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:05 AM

Yeah I agree it's probably about if the baby is screaming/crying. If you breastfeed they can't force you to leave, it's against the law.

I wish they'd had a sign that said "please take your obnoxious yelling, noisy playing on iPhones and drunken behaviour outside" at the lovely French bistro DH took me to for my birthday last year... I'd have taken a crying baby over not even being able to converse with DH properly sad.gif

#13 MrsLexiK

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:06 AM

QUOTE (liveworkplay @ 22/01/2013, 09:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think it is a nice way of saying if your child cannot behave like an adult we do not want them here. I also think it gives them an out to be able to ask a BF mother to leave.

There is a very famous restaurant in Melbourne which does not allow (or didn't when I lived there) children at all. It has been taken to VCAT and found in it's favour.

I agree with this.  Also are you able to PM me the resturant that does not children, me thinks I may like to go there on my first night off without the baby original.gif

QUOTE (ange_75 @ 22/01/2013, 10:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah I agree it's probably about if the baby is screaming/crying. If you breastfeed they can't force you to leave, it's against the law.

I wish they'd had a sign that said "please take your obnoxious yelling, noisy playing on iPhones and drunken behaviour outside" at the lovely French bistro DH took me to for my birthday last year... I'd have taken a crying baby over not even being able to converse with DH properly sad.gif

Ahh but see the drunken is clearly making them more money by drinking.

#14 IsolaBella

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:06 AM

As PP said inconsolable crying outside is my view.

#15 Therese

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:07 AM

I also think it means if your baby is screaming, please take them outside.

#16 Funwith3

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:07 AM

Yes I agree with others - its about crying babies, not breastfeeding. And I agree with it, particularly because its a top restaurant. I've come across several restaurants that do not accommodate children under 12 and I think this is ok. Its not like there aren't millions of alternative restaurants.

#17 50ftqueenie

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:09 AM

People really don't need to be told to take their crying babies outside do they?  Do they?!!  *sighs* maybe they do...

I can honestly say that in any "fancy" restaurant I have ever been to, I've never witnessed any badly behaved children or crying babies.  

If this is some kind of code for "don't breastfeed your baby in here" then I hope this restaurant is ignored.  The last thing I want is a restaurant getting the benefit of free publicity (even negative stuff) the way Kochie & Sunrise have this week.

#18 EsmeLennox

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:09 AM

I would take it to mean noisy/upset children. Gawd, taking children to a really fancy restaurant would be a bit like torture to me, something to (generally) be avoided I reckon!

#19 SCARFACE CLAW

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:10 AM

I'm surprised there even needs to be a note. Whenever our kids have been screaming or crying in a restaurant they were taken outside until they settled or we paid and left.

#20 soontobegran

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:13 AM

I do not think it has anything to do with feeding at all.
It is a shame that this restaurant has had the need to ask parents to do the right thing. There is nothing rude about this, if I am paying to have a quiet meal out then I would be disturbed by screaming, just as I would be disturbed by obnoxious drunken behaviour but there are laws that can deal with that...this is just common sense.

#21 countrymel

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:13 AM

QUOTE (3mummy3 @ 22/01/2013, 10:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Its about the screaming i would say and fair enough too. Diners at a fancy restraunt shouldnt have to listen to screaming babies.

Friends of mine went to a VERY fancy restaurant  a few years back, they had to book 6 months in advance (plus fly there - not a restaurant problem but factored in to their experience of it all) and pay a large sum of money for the experience.

There was a screaming baby plus a food throwing toddler at the next table - as my friend said later "I'm impressed that someone can afford to have their toddler chuck a $110 entree around but less impressed when it sticks to the back of my head.."

They didn't say anything - sadly they were too afraid to say anything as they were concerned that a banshee scream of "You pooftas just hate children!" would be forthcoming.. (that has happened to them before - when a polite "Ah.. those things aren't for children to touch.." to a child destroying delicate items in their store..)

But it utterly ruined what should have been a really special experience.

The restaurant was aware too, they wrote and apologised to them and offered a discount on their next visit (not going to happen alas it was a very expensive exercise) they explained that they were unable to do anything at the time as the parents involved are rather litigious barristers!

#22 lozoodle

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:14 AM

I would interpret that to mean take your baby outside to settle them if they are unsettled so as not to have the other patrons disturbed by noise.

#23 CallMeProtart

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:14 AM

I'd interpret it as screaming. They didn't say don't feed infants - and it's fairly evident that a screaming infant would disturb everyone. A person can look away but they can't shut their ears!

#24 IVL

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:16 AM

I am so in favour of this, I do believe they are refering to comforting as crying baby rather than feeding the baby, basically please respect other diners and don't let your baby cry so as to disturb others.

My DH and I went out to a very nice restaurant for degustation menu as a treat when our second DD was about 3 months old and we left her at home with my mum and some expressed milk. I had expressed for days and was so looking forward to a relaxing and uninterupted meal. However there was another couple sitting at the table next to us with a very unhappy baby in a pram. The baby was crying very loudley (looked about 9 months old) and the parents were totally ignoring the baby, they seemed to be having some kind a Mexican stand off with each other over who's turn it was to attend to the child. The looks they were giving each other were not that of happy diners staring lovingly at each other if you get the drift.

In the end we asked to be moved but the waiter said there were no other tables available. We had booked this weeks in advance as it was a popular restaurant. The waiter then asked the couple if they would attend to the child in the lounge area but was met with a very rude " we have the right to eat here if we want" from the women. At the end of their meal the couple left in a huff with the baby (still cyring) and it really did take away from our experience. We don't recall the details of the food that night, just that poor baby screaming and the rude parents.

I get that parents need to get out and eat, but I don't think it is beyond the relms of common courtesy to ensure your child is not disrupting people around them and creating a unpleasent experience.

#25 ubermum

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:18 AM

That doesn't bother me at all as I would take it to mean comfort a screaming/crying baby. I also think this is quite reasonable, as would be any request to remove an infant that has obviously soiled immediately,  not when the parent finishes their meal. I have suffered through stinky nappy in dining room. Some people have no respect for other people.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Britain's youngest parents: mother 12, father 13

A 12-year-old schoolgirl and her 13-year-old boyfriend are believed to have become Britain?s youngest parents, after the birth of their baby girl earlier this week.

When Prince George met Bilby George

Prince George has met an Aussie marsupial named after him in his first official engagement in Australia.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Pregnant woman dies after doctor removes ovary instead of appendix

When a UK woman went to hospital suffering appendicitis, doctors mistakenly removed her healthy ovary - with tragic consequences.

The milestones I can't wait to celebrate

Nothing can beat the feeling of witnessing that first smile, first step and first word - but here's a list of 'firsts' I'm really looking forward to now.

How you develop in your baby's first year

Just as babies undergo rapid growth as they learn and change in their first year, we?re learning and changing quickly as parents, too. Don?t underestimate the developmental stages you go through when you have a baby.

Can you make your baby smarter even before birth?

A product new to Australia claims to help babies be born "as intelligent as possible", but not all experts agree on the benefits of educating babies while still in the womb.

How a mother's love helped unearth the skills of an autistic savant

Autistic savant Ping Lian Yeak, a prodigious artist who has had his work shown all over the world, couldn't have done it without the support and love of his proud mum.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

A tiny heart: a baby?s death gives life to another

Simon Alexander Garcia lived only one brief hour. But somewhere, a little girl?s heart is beating today because of him.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Why is childbirth still such a pain?

The options given to women to help them cope in labour have barely changed in years.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Ideas for recording baby milestones

Get the props, lights and camera ready to record the milestone moments in your baby's first months and years. Tip: set a reminder in your phone (or jot it in a calendar) to make sure you remember it every month.

From penis amputation to fatherhood

After a botched circumcision as a child, Mike Moore was left without a penis. Years later, and after meeting the right surgeon, he was able to become a dad - naturally.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Your baby's first shoes, made with your own hands

Imagine someone saying to you, "Your baby?s shoes are magnificent, where?d you get them?" And you reply, "Oh, these? I made them."

Mother bites off pit bull's ear to save toddler

What would you do if your child was being attacked by a vicious dog? One mother recently had to learn the hard way.

Couple dies 15 hours apart after 70 years of marriage

A couple who held hands at breakfast every morning even after 70 years of marriage have died 15 hours apart.

Behind the scenes of Kate and George's cuddly photo

Every face is partially obscured, but there's no denying the happiness and love in the faces of the royal mum and bub.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Your baby?s developmental roadmap

Caring for your new baby can feel like driving along a dark highway without a GPS: you know your destination ? a happy, healthy human being ? but you?re not sure whether you?re heading in the right direction.

Breaking out of the isolation of motherhood

There can be many reasons for mummy isolation ? and you don?t have to be a new mother to feel like you're often doing it all alone. Here, mums share their stories of feeling isolated, and what they do to try to break out of it.

The billionaire baby with $10,000 worth of prams

When money is no object you can go all out when it comes to baby transportation, as this billionaire socialite has shown.

Medication helps depressed mums to breastfeed

Breastfeeding mums are often told their medication may pass into their milk, but a new study suggests the benefits of taking antidepressants are greater than any risks to baby.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.