No school uniform
Thoughts on this?

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 tiefbloom

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:25 AM

I've been looking at the websites of the primary schools in the area we're looking to move to and very few have school uniforms (inner north of Melbourne) and I found this strange.

What are your thoughts on school uniforms? Do you children have to wear one/do they not wear one?

I've always liked the idea of uniforms precisely because they unify!

#2 ~sydblue~

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:33 AM

I've never heard of a school that doesn't have them. Except for the one I attended when I was about 7-9yrs old.
DD8's uniform this year is black skorts and a maroon polo or the dress. She has 2 dresses & 3 skorts & polos.
DD13's is bottle green long pants or green tartan skirt & white blouse. She has 2 pants, 1 skirt & 3 blouses.

#3 Mummalovin

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:43 AM

We have uniforms, sky blue polo - navy shorts/skort.  

I love the idea of a uniform.  No having to decide what to wear and having to keep up with the latest fashions.

My kids know they have to wear them and that some things in life are not negotiable.

#4 newphase

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:34 AM

A lot of schools around Brunswick, Carlton, Princess Hill etc don't have uniforms, I don't no why, I too found this interesting when I found out as I persumed all schools had a uniform these days...in VIC anyway. I always knew University High didnt have a uniform and Princes Hill SC, didn't know a lot of the PS around same area din't either. Wonder why when all others these days do. I know when I was a kid many moons ago uniform was optional, but nowadays was surprised to find quite a few without.

#5 TinyTeddys

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:57 AM

A friend of my cousin went to school in Canberra...they didn't have a uniform but were suppose to wear school colours (red, black & white). In saying that but, apparently it wasn't strongly enforced.

#6 liveworkplay

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:07 AM

I am very pro uniform for many reasons one bring it saves all the hassle of trying to find something to wear! My kids school has a very strict uniform code, as did the school I attended. we have one local, alternative, independent parent run school that do not do uniforms, all the rest do.

#7 The Old Feral

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:12 AM

I'm from the same area, our school has a uniform but as you say it's uncommon. I wouldn't read too much into it though, some of those schools without uniforms have a great reputation (Brunswick South for example) so it doesn't seem to make a difference.

I probably prefer no uniform simply because my kids already have a heap of clothes and didn't need more! Plus replacing lost hats and jumpers is a pain in the bum if you are required to use a particular school one.

#8 msro82

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:12 AM

The only school I can think of in southern Tasmania without a uniform is the local Steiner school!

DD goes to a catholic school and the uniform is quite strict and I love it!

#9 JRA

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:19 AM

I love school uniforms. I love the "belonging", I love the ease of it.

DS seems to live in a uniform, school uniform, hockey uniform, nippers uniform, basketball uniform

#10 2bundles

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:23 AM

DS goes to a school with an optional (although encouraged) uniform.

Most of the younger kids wear it. Most of the year 7s (Qld) don't.

After a year in Canada where very few schools have uniforms, my take is it is easier to have a uniform, but its not essential.

#11 kpingitquiet

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:27 AM

Ohhh where? I strongly dislike uniforms original.gif

#12 Single.mum.nz

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:32 AM

My daughters primary school (in NZ) doesn't have a uniform, it's getting more common that schools here do but I'm so so glad that my daughters doesnt. There is no competition, I'm a single mum on a low income and the daughter of a quite prominent politician who is in the same class couldn't be told apart, they semi often turn up in the same tshirt etc etc. Kmart clothes are just as common as pumpkin patch or botique type stores, as are cotton on and Farmers the Myer equivalent. I like the individuality it brings. Have to admit the first day oversized uniform pics are cute though!!  Intermediate (2 years between primary and high school so 11-12 year olds give or take) and high school have uniforms and for that I'm grateful as that's when competition is rife!

#13 handsfull

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:27 AM

Love a uniform, absolutely hate it when you don't.  I went to school in America when I was young and it was so competitive, had to have the right brand jeans, bag etc to fit in.  

Love that my girls can go to school and not feel different from the rest.  

#14 Genabee

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:34 AM

The school my DD will be going to doesn't have a uniform. It was the one thing I was a bit iffy about... This is because it relates to the school's philosophy (which I obviously do like). They are also not allowed to wear clothes that have brand names or logos all over them, which I am all for. I don't like the idea of kids competing to outdo each other's wardrobes.

In general, I am pro-uniform though. It makes knowing what to wear so much easier! And as others have mentioned, it creates a sense of belonging and community.

I will probably create a uniform of sorts anyway - a whole bunch of the same t-shirts, shorts and trackies... And they won't be fancy!

#15 farfaraway

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:40 AM

Pro-uniform all the way here. We're in Canberra, DD1 is at a Catholic primary school with a great sense of pride in their school, in part expressed through how they wear the uniform.

I've taught in schools both with and without uniforms, including a couple overseas. Uniforms are a great equaliser in my experience.

#16 Jenferal

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:55 AM

Slightly off topic...but do your make your kids get out of the uniform(even if it's just a school polo top and black pants) when they get home from school?
I went to catholic schools with a strict uniform(can't ever wear bottle green or pin striped shirts because of the horrible flashbacks) and we always had to take ours off after school, but the kids next door who go to the local school wear theirs till bedtime.
I find it strange, and they look really crappy by the end of the year, holes in the pants knees etc.
So do your kids get changed after school or not worry?

I'm team uniform too, it looks neater and saves wear and tear on the rest of their clothes, and there's no "my jeans are a better brand/colour/fit than yours!"

#17 B.feral3

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:27 AM

What a nightmare. I don't think I would send my kid to a school that didn't have a uniform. I experienced it for the 2 years I lived in the US and it was a royal PITA.

#18 seepi

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:36 AM

I think there are issues with uniforms:

- people hate that colour for the rest of their lives

- kids never learn to coordinate colours

- they end up with heaps of half worn clothes - eg the ones from afteschool

- they have way too many clothes, as they have uniform AND casual/party/outdoor etc outfits.

- uniforms are often expensive

#19 slvhwke

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:40 AM

My DS's school doesn't have a uniform.  It's a Steiner though so part of their general philosophy.

The clothes aren't allowed to have logos or brands on them. However very few places sell unlogoed t-shirts around here so all the boys have the same range of K-Mart/Target essential shirts and plain cargo pants. biggrin.gif

I ended up getting 7 plain shirts in various colours & some plain cargos.  DS just rotates them throughout the week.  

I may possibly be missing the point of the "self-expression" that the school encourages... ph34r.gif

#20 mombasa

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:44 AM

I love having a uniform, DD is at a Christian College so the uniform is strictly enforced, they all even have the same bag, I think it looks great and tidy. Was also extremely useful at a recent excursion where there were around 5 other Schools, made it easier picking our kids original.gif

#21 liveworkplay

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:53 AM

I think there are issues with uniforms:

- people hate that colour for the rest of their lives

- kids never learn to coordinate colours

- they end up with heaps of half worn clothes - eg the ones from afteschool

- they have way too many clothes, as they have uniform AND casual/party/outdoor etc outfits.

I happen to still love the main colour my uniform was Tounge1.gif I don't know about half worn clothes, my kids just need less clothes then if they didn't have a uniform. They are all, fine with coordinating colours. I don't see how 6 hours, 5 days a week in uniform would stifle that. DD3 (who isn't at school yet) has daycare clothes, home clothes and party clothes so I don't see the difference?

IME I have found more and more schools being a lot stricter on uniforms now days then when I went to school so there must be a lot of people that find them a positive.

#22 Soontobegran

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:00 AM

I would have been reluctant to have sent my children to a no uniform school I am afraid.
Uniforms stop the morning angst when it comes to choosing what to wear, they create a sense of pride and belonging, they stop the peer issues between those who have and those who have not and this is definitely an issue throughout the 13 years of schooling.
On uniform free occasions such as camps, some excursions, some sports it is not uncommon to see children being teased for their clothing and footwear.......it is horrible but it happens so I would rather that there was not this ammunition provided every single school day.

Clothes are not identifying the person so I've never subscribed to the self expression theory. I have worn a uniform my entire school and working life, there was never references made about us that mentioned our uniforms but us as individuals.

OP, if the school is a great one then I would very much consider buying our own 'uniform' of a few clothes that we could rotate throughout the week but then I'd be getting onto the school council or P&C to suggest they think about bringing in a uniform original.gif

ETA- Our kids had navy and gold for primary and navy with a navy and green tartan for secondary, they loved their uniforms so I think it is important that schools do put some thought into the colours and styles of uniform.

Edited by soontobegran, 22 January 2013 - 09:06 AM.

#23 seepi

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:17 AM

I had egg yolk yellow and baby sh*t brown so maybe that's why I'm not a big fan.

#24 ubermum

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:22 AM

It's the hippy factor in the area where you are living. A large percentage of parents that want their kids to "express themselves" rolleyes.gif I love uniforms and would be dissapointed if our chosen school chose not to have one.

#25 elizabethany

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:23 AM

QUOTE (seepi @ 22/01/2013, 10:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I had egg yolk yellow and baby sh*t brown so maybe that's why I'm not a big fan.

I had these too, but it wasn't a problem because everyone wore it too.  I was pleased to see that they have now changed it to yellow and black...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Ambulance service under fire: baby seats to go, response times 'worse than ever'

The NSW Ambulance Service is removing child-safety seats from ambulances, while the Victorian service is facing criticism over lengthy response times following the death of a three-year-old.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Is e-reading to your toddler story time or just screen time?

When reading increasingly means swiping pages on a device, and we're advised to read to their children early and often, should parents be turning to e-readers for storytime?

Community mourns inspiring young dad

A young dad who fought a five-year battle with cancer has been remembered for his inspiring legacy at a funeral service attended by hundreds of family and friends this week.

Meningococcal kills Queensland toddler

Public health authorities say the death of a toddler in north Queensland from meningococcal disease highlights the danger the illness poses.

Nicole Kidman: 'I hope every month that I'm pregnant'

Nicole Kidman is hoping to add to her family, but says she's doubtful it will happen.

Recall: Aldi Wooden London Bus play set

Aldi has announced a recall of their popular Wooden London Bus play set.

Great gift ideas for first birthdays

From soft toys to balance bikes, here are some great ideas for first birthday gifts.

Mum learnt she was pregnant hours before giving birth

Kim Walsh arrived at the doctor with abdominal cramps. Hours later, she was cradling the baby experts told her she could never have.

How cancer has made me a better, happier person

I'm a far better person post-cancer than I ever was before. The goal now is to stay around long enough to find out who I can become, and what I can achieve.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Warnings over child pain relief doses

The Therapeutic Goods Administration has warned parents and carers over a "confusing" pain relief dosage system.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.