This Weeks Challenge is..
Delicate

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 LittleC

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:19 PM

I hope this challenge isn't too boring, I've never been in a position where I've had to be the topic chooser!

This weeks challenge is "Delicate". We probably encounter this in our day-to-day life more than we realise. Interpret this however you wish, be as literal or subjective as you want. Have fun!

The Rules:
One photo per person which has been taken this week (starting TUESDAY). Everyone is welcome to join in. Competition will start Tuesday with submissions ending the following Monday.

If you wish, please note your rating after your image:
Rating 1 Beginner (just got my camera)
Rating 2 Amateur (learning about settings)
Rating 3 Hobbyist (have a good grasp of the theory)
Rating 4 Semi Pro (improved well beyond when I started)
Rating 5 Pro/serious hobbyist (I'm well experienced and have been doing this for quite a while)

All images must be up by next MONDAY at (9pm EDST, 8pm EST, 7.30pm CST, 6pm WST) for inclusion.

Remember the EB rules state images within posts must be smaller than 500 (wide) x 470 (high) pixels and 100kb.

Challenge History
Lines (B&W) - LittleC
Architecture - rbat
Open challenge - millie71
Something New - raven74
Bokeh - mummy26
Food - rbat
Portrait - elle-M
Macro/close up - ILBB
Rule of Thirds - mummy26
Vanishing point - rbat
Patterns in nature - Jupiter123
Fun - Silverwattle
Seven - mummy26
Texture - ILBB
At Home - elle-M
Nostalgia - rbat
Reflection - Bryden
Half - Nut
Spring - millie71
Antique - elle-M
Tells a story - Ev
Postcard - raven74
Favourite things - winkwink
Long exposure - rbat
Wings - silverwattle
Sweet - rbat
Light - Skepticaemia
Wild - Mecurial
Moody - BeagleBoy
In the eye of the beholder - cat
Symmetry - JamieLee85
Serenity - winkwink
Out Of Place - Peanut
Water Drop Shot - blue4me
One - Raven74
Black & White Portrait - rbat
Red - Luckyseven
Suggestive - Abbygirl
Mostly Black/Mostly white - PrincessPinkenIt
Autumn - Superman+4Sisters
Capturing Action - Peanut
Black and white perspective - Abbygirl
Shadows - winkwink
Props - Jalex
Numbers - apocketfull

Edited by LittleC, 21 January 2013 - 09:20 PM.

#2 raven74

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:00 PM

Never had this one before - good job biggrin.gif

#3 rbat

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:45 PM

I'll start us off this week. I start work tomorrow after a wonderful 6 weeks off. I know I should be grateful for the time off but  cry1.gif!

Pink by rbat75, on Flickr

#4 raven74

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:02 PM

A bit of a differetn take on delicate and all I'm going to get this week - my dog Ruby who is feeling rather delicate after ingesting god knows what and getting pancreatitis.  Taken at home; thabkfully 12 years as a VN allows my vet to trust  me to do a lot of the treatment at home - being home last night instead of ICU hase saved me nearly a grand ffear.gif

leg by raven:74, on Flickr

#5 Red Cabbage

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:02 PM

Hi ladies, its been ages since I've entered. This is my 13yo daughter, who is delicate for many many reasons.

Delicate. by Good~Thanks, on Flickr

#6 Peanut

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:27 PM

Gosh, she's grown so much RC!

Aww, poor Ruby.  sad.gif

#7 ~Kee~In~Hawaii~

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

raven: Ruby is beautiful, without even seeing all of her I want to give her cuddles to make her feel better. My puppy-bubba Shyla had pancreatitis when she was only very young and we nearly lost her so I know how badly it can affect dogs. I hope Ruby recovers quickly original.gif

Red Cabbage: Your girl is gorgeous <3 A beautiful photo.

rbat: Great minds think alike, as soon as I read "delicate" I thought about all my new flowers blooming outside. I hope work wasn't too much of a shock to your system today.

Ok, my entry this week is of a tiny blossom just opened on a native iris in my yard. How these tiny little bursts of colour survive 40+ degree days with no water, in constant sun is beyond me. This one is no bigger than the size of my thumbnail and seems so fragile and delicate but is also tough and a survivor. I think I saw something of myself in this little delicate beauty this week.

Delicate

#8 raven74

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:41 PM

I agree, RC she is beautiful!
And yeah, poor EXPENSIVE Ruby.  Our vet is a 74km round trip - I've been five times since 3.15 yesterday blink.gif

#9 katpaws

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

This week's challenge has me stumped! I am still trying to think of something... animals and flowers are out.... so thought i would post what i have until i find something better.

Bubbles

This is using a Nikon D200 (i think) which i have no idea how to use - i just point and shoot, and hope for the best...

Edited by katpaws, 25 January 2013 - 05:27 PM.

#10 tickly_rain

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:08 PM

Not really happy with this, but will see if I can get something else over the weekend.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tickly_rain/8...tream/lightbox/

Off to comment in Flickr!

#11 Peanut

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:50 PM

Gorgeous photos so far ladies!  original.gif

I'm hoping to get one tomorrow, fingers crossed.

#12 mummy26

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:17 AM

I'm going to enter this one as its the only one I've taken this week. Gnomes are delicate (handle with care)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28286225@N02/...in/photostream/

#13 SW-

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:36 PM

One of my favorite shells Paper nautilus shell, very delicate.

shell 6 by silver wattle, on Flickr

#14 Peanut

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:11 PM

Well, I had planned a visit to the Botanical Gardens today but the weather put the kybosh on that!  I took some shots here at home but can't decide which (if any) really fit the theme.   unsure.gif  

ETA:  Okay, I'll go with this one:

Rain damaged spiderweb

Edited by Peanut, 28 January 2013 - 03:43 PM.

#15 Angelot

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:30 AM

Managed to try an entry this week!

#16 Red Cabbage

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:19 PM

Peanut, I love your spider web shot. Awesome!

#17 Peanut

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

That's a beautiful pendant Ange Vert!

Thanks RC!  original.gif

#18 Bryden

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

Another vote for the spider web shot Peanut.

Here's my dismal entry for this week unless something extraordinary happens between now and closing. We've been flooded in for couple of days and there's not much left in my gardens.. even the weeds have broken over and have proven to be delicate.

EB challenge - delicate. by Bryden3, on Flickr

Teressa

#19 TopsyTurvy

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:09 PM

Getting a late entry in original.gif

Delicately Rough by Leapyleigh, on Flickr

#20 LittleC

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:48 PM

wow look at the time! it nearly got away on me. Toddlers will do that to you! i'll be picking an entry after 9pm (is that right?)

#21 LittleC

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:29 PM

That was bloody hard! so many entries this week, all so beautiful/wonderful with some great interpretations.

Rbat: This is a beautiful shot, I love the softness of the pink and fantastic DOF. Really shows off the delicate intricacies of the flower.

Raven74: A bit left field which I was hoping for, I think the black and white really compliments this shot. It’s amazing how illness in an otherwise vibrant rough and tumble dog really shows their fragility. How is she doing?

Red cabbage: What an age! Teenage girls, what could be more delicate? The composition of this shot is just perfect and her expression is lovely. I love the tone/desaturation as well.

~kee~in~Hawaii~: amazing how something to tiny and delicate can be so resilient! I love the vibrance of this shot and the DOF.

Katpaws:  Bubbles! I love bubble shots, they’re so touch and go because they’re so, well delicate! Great capture and colour.

Tickly_rain: Beautiful Orchid, such an intricate little flower. I like the composition of this shot.

Mummy26:  Very clever idea! This is a fun photo. Awesome shot.

Silverwattle: What a find! And intact as well. I love this, lovely composition.

Peanut: I love the delicate raindrop splashes and how the web catches tiny drops of water. Beautiful

Ange Verte:  Lovely pendant, I like how you’ve positioned it. The softness of it contrasted against the wood is lovely.

Bryden: I don’t think this is dismal at all, everything about this is lovely. The tiny drops of water on the tiny petals (for lack of a better word) is beautiful and delicate.

TopsyTurvy: Great find, I like the DOF and the colours are so rich and vibrant. Amazing how it can hold on so sturdily.

A few stood out for me this week

rbat
Bryden
Silverwattle

I've chosen Silverwattle this week. I keep coming back to look at this shot. I love everything about it. Gorgeous composition, I love the reflection of the shell on the wet sand and I still can't believe it survived it's way intact to the shore! Delicate and tough!

Edited by LittleC, 28 January 2013 - 08:37 PM.

#22 SW-

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:40 PM

OMG, cannot believe I won original.gif thank you!

I must confess I took the shell to the beach.

#23 Peanut

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:52 PM

Well done Silverwattle, it's a beautiful shot!  original.gif

#24 LittleC

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:45 PM

QUOTE (silverwattle @ 28/01/2013, 09:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OMG, cannot believe I won original.gif thank you!

I must confess I took the shell to the beach.

Cheeky!

It was such a tough one, I loved all of your photos

Edited by LittleC, 28 January 2013 - 09:45 PM.

#25 Millie71

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:32 AM

Well done Silverwattle :-)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Christina Aguilera announces daughter's name

Christina Aguilera and her fiance, Matt Rutler, have welcomed their daughter into the world.

Couple caught in surrogacy crackdown

An Australian couple caught up in Thailand's surrogacy crackdown have said many parents are distraught and facing dire financial difficulties as are they are unable to bring their surrogate-born babies home.

'Tired' mum dies of undiagnosed diabetes

New mum Nicky Rigby thought her exhaustion was due to the demands of looking after her baby. But the 26-year-old was seriously ill with diabetes, and died due to her condition not being diagnosed.

5 co-sleeping myths busted

In case you are co-sleeping with your baby, and all the ?helpful? advice from others is sending you down the slippery slope of self-doubt, let?s bust a few myths on the topic.

When pregnancy takes you down memory lane

One mum-to-be discovers pregnancy hormones can give rise to some surprising emotions.

What?s your love language?

The secret to making your partner feel special is to know which language of love they favour ? and it?s the same for your kids, too.

Returning to exercise after a caesarean

I had my daughter four months ago via caesarean, and I want to get back into exercise. What are some good first steps I can take?

20 signs of a great relationship

The secret to a perfect relationship is admitting you are wrong after an argument, five kisses a day and sex twice a week, a new survey suggests.

Video: emotional 60-second Robin Williams tribute

Take a minute to remember some of the greatest films of your childhood ... and have a few tissues close at hand.

The realities of escaping domestic violence

?Why doesn?t she just leave?? is the common question people ask when trying to understand domestic violence. For many, leaving the relationship is far from straightforward.

Home truths: the DIY dos and don'ts

A professional renovator gives advice on which jobs you should do yourself, and which you should outsource.

Parenting lessons I?ve yet to learn

Instead of writing about the stuff I do know since becoming a mum, I thought I'd share some of the things I don't. These are the lessons that motherhood hasn't taught me.

Will I be wrecked 'down there' after birth?

Did you worry about how you would look "down there" after giving birth? This mum-to-be found plenty of women willing to share their knowledge.

The new weekend playgroup for working mums

Playgroups are great for kids and parents alike - but the downside is that they often meet during the week, leaving working mums out of the loop.

Letting your toddler be the boss at bedtime

Sick of spending hours trying to get your toddler to sleep? These experts say giving your child more of a say at bedtime might be the answer.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

Consulting 'Dr Google' when you're pregnant

We're all guilty of turning to the internet for a quick answer when we need medical advice, but Dr Google should be approached with caution - especially when you're pregnant.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

Mum gives birth at school

Chinese manufacturers tap into the cute factor with tree-grown babies.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.