when did you allow your DD to shave?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 butterflies

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:47 PM

DD#1 is nearly 12 and starting high school in over a week and was wondering when I would let her shave her legs and underarms (though only a few under there but long enough)

what age did you allow your DD to shave??

#2 Expelliarmus

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:49 PM

DD12 doesn't need my permission. I gave her a razor in the second half of last year and suggested she shave under her arms  for the dance concerts. She doesn't need my permission to start shaving her legs. She has the razor, she can if she wants.

So at what age did she start shaving - 12yo.

#3 Juki

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:54 PM

I don't have a daughter but I remember shaving in secret with Mum's razor when I was 11. I would have preferred permission and my own razor.

#4 erindiv

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:54 PM

I started shaving when I wanted to, not when I was 'allowed' to. Shaving isn't a bad thing so I don't see why it has to be forbidden until a certain age. I'll let DD shave her legs at 7 years old if she wants. She has really hairy legs already!

Just help her do it to get the hang of it.

#5 butterflies

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:55 PM

soooo you just gave her a razor and let her go for it??  you didn't go and show her what to do? or help her for the first time?? WOW!!

#6 erindiv

I started shaving when I wanted to, not when I was 'allowed' to. Shaving isn't a bad thing so I don't see why it has to be forbidden until a certain age. I'll let DD shave her legs at 7 years old if she wants. She has really hairy legs already!

Just help her do it to get the hang of it.

#7 butterflies

soooo you just gave her a razor and let her go for it??  you didn't go and show her what to do? or help her for the first time?? WOW!!

#8 mandarins

i started shaving at 12 after asking my mum. I was given strict instructions to only shave up to my knee.

#9 butterflies

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:59 PM

so it sounds like I am the big bad mother that won't 'allow' my dd to shave her legs when I don't think she needs to???

oh well I should have known, only on EB!

thanks you to those who answered nicely

#10 zzgirl

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:05 PM

I am thinking 1st year high school.

Shaving legs is the least of my future hair removal issues to be discussed with my daughter - I don't want to think about the other stuff!!!

#11 teejay

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:09 PM

My dd shaved under her arms at about 11 as she dances and they were quite noticeable. At about 12 she became very self conscious of her legs and asked to shave them so I was happy for her to do them. She had been using her razor for under her arms but asked me to show her how to do her legs.

#12 erindiv

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:09 PM

QUOTE (butterflies @ 21/01/2013, 09:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
so it sounds like I am the big bad mother that won't 'allow' my dd to shave her legs when I don't think she needs to???

I didn't see anyone answering nastily, but righto.

#13 Expelliarmus

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:10 PM

QUOTE (butterflies @ 21/01/2013, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

QUOTE (butterflies @ 21/01/2013, 09:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OP, I think you are over reacting. I haven't been rude.

I never said you were a big bad mother. I said my DD doesn't need my permission.

If you really must know I offered to show her how to shave her armpits but she didn't want me to and then when she had ingrown hairs and shaving rash I helped her out with suggestions on how to manage it. No I didn't just 'give her the razor and let her go for it' I gave her shave gel as well.

I approached it much the same as feminine hygiene products. I supply the various types and she decides when and how she will use them. I don't think it's my place to decide what type or amount of personal care DD engages in. FWIW DD really likes the Venus razors with the built in spa things, she finds them the most comfortable and easiest to use.

#14 evek

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:15 PM

My daughter is almost 13 and shaves her armpits but not legs yet. Sh is blessed with fine blond hairs but I know she will soon ask as all her friends are starting to shave.  I am thinking of suggesting that she wax instead in the hope she can avoid the thick black stubble I have ended up with!

#15 butterflies

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:17 PM

Howdo you started you sentence with

DD12 doesn't need my permission

and then there was nothing about showing her how to do it, I should have just guessed that bit??

and then to end it

So at what age did she start shaving - 12yo.

so obvisouly you had a problem with my wording of the post and wanted to point that out first!!

#16 A.K.A

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:21 PM

I needed to shave around 11, for my own sanity. I think if a child has dark enough hair to want to shave early, get her started on waxing, better in the long run IMO.

#17 statua angelam

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:24 PM

QUOTE (evek @ 21/01/2013, 10:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am thinking of suggesting that she wax instead in the hope she can avoid the thick black stubble I have ended up with!

I never used to shave my legs, and found that my fine blonde hair has also turned into thick black hair.  I suspect it's not the shaving that does it, but just part of hormonal change over time.

#18 epl0822

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:25 PM

OP what is your problem? Nobody here has been snarky to you. I personally believe a 12 year old is old enough to make certain decisions over her body, including whether she wants to shave or not. Why is shaving something a parent needs to forbid or permit?

QUOTE (butterflies @ 21/01/2013, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
soooo  you just gave her a razor and let her go for it??  you didn't go and  show her what to do? or help her for the first time?? WOW!!

When I started shaving my legs I didn't want my mum to get involved (teenagers are sensitive over random stuff like that). In fact I was quite comfortable figuring it out myself. It's not rocket science, if your DD wants you to show her what to do, great, but geez, seriously, what is your problem? We're talking about shaving legs here, not learning how to drive while solving complex algorithms!

#19 mnmnm

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

Not sure how old I was when I first tried it, but I sneakily took my mums razor and tried shaving my legs, as I had seen her do. Unfortunately my legs were dry and her razor was just a blade. A very painfull lesson! I will be sure to give my daughter a bit of  safety info when she is older and interested...

#20 IsolaBella

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

I dry shaved once or twice at twelve, then saved up to get myself waxed.

I have very sparse hair as a result. Seriously these days I could tweezers my underarms (and do in a pinch).

When my DD wants hair removal I will be sending her in that direction.

#21 BadCat

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:27 PM

My nearly 14yo doesn't shave anything.  When she was about 13 I asked her if she wanted to.  She said no.  If she had asked earlier I would have let her do it sooner but would have discouraged it if I thought she was too young.  I'm pleased that she doesn't feel the need right now.  The longer she can ignore societal beauty dictates the better as far as I'm concerned.

Personally I didn't shave anything until I was about 18.  I was somewhat sporadic for a while then gave it up almost entirely in my 30s.

#22 ani1

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:31 PM

My DD12 is starting high school next week. I asked if she want to shave her legs , as she had not mentioned it yet, she said no. I said that's fine. She has fair blonde hair on her legs which you can't even see. So it's her choice. original.gif

Edited by ani1, 21 January 2013 - 09:33 PM.

#23 asdf89

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:37 PM

I started shaving my legs before year 8 - as I wanted to seem like a grown up high schooler Tounge1.gif I gave up frequent shaving soon after when I noticed most of the girls only had smooth legs the day of a school social (it was an all girls school)

Started shaving my underarms in... maybe year 6 as I was doing swimming lessons and was self conscious of the few stray hairs I had.

My mother didn't show me how to do it, it's pretty self explanatory, and I don't think it's possible to learn how to shave your legs without taking a few strips off every now and then. If you are going to show her, make sure you dispel the myth (already mentioned) that the more you shave, the thicker and darker your hair comes back. I monitored my leg hairs like a hawk, terrified of the day my blonde legs hairs would come up thick and black. Then I noticed my mum's were still blonde, and calmed down a bit (and mine are still blonde).

Edited by asdf89, 21 January 2013 - 09:40 PM.

#24 butterflies

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:40 PM

OP what is your problem?

my problem is that the first sentence was about how I worded my post, not answering the question, all howdo could have said was 'I didn't feel the need to give my child permission'  that is all

I personally believe a 12 year old is old enough to make certain decisions over her body, including whether she wants to shave or not. Why is shaving something a parent needs to forbid or permit?

Our DD's ask us for advice and are extremly open with what is going on with their bodies which is how we have taught them to be, not to lock them selves in a room and start shaving their legs!!  we discuss at length what would be the best option for htem, not the first time they suggest it, they can do it.

When I started shaving my legs I didn't want my mum to get involved (teenagers are sensitive over random stuff like that).

I am sorry that you didn't have an open relationship with your mother that you could discuss these things with her.

and also she is not a teenager, she is still 11 for a few more days and then will be 12.  and again we have taught not to be sensetive to things like that, be open and honest and discuss.

To the others

I was thinking of getting her legs waxed, she has very fine blonde leg hairs.  biggrin.gif

#25 Expelliarmus

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:41 PM

Holy Crap. Not much I can do if you're going to take offence at

'DD12 doesn't need my permission.'

vs.

'I didn't feel the need to give my child permission'

I wasn't thinking at all about how you worded your bloody post. I answered the freaking question 'at what age did you allow your DD to shave?'

She already has a frakking razor she doesn't need my permission because she already has a razor. What the hell is wrong with what I said?

Edited by howdo, 21 January 2013 - 09:46 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Britain's youngest parents: mother 12, father 13

A 12-year-old schoolgirl and her 13-year-old boyfriend are believed to have become Britain?s youngest parents, after the birth of their baby girl earlier this week.

When Prince George met Bilby George

Prince George has met an Aussie marsupial named after him in his first official engagement in Australia.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Pregnant woman dies after doctor removes ovary instead of appendix

When a UK woman went to hospital suffering appendicitis, doctors mistakenly removed her healthy ovary - with tragic consequences.

The milestones I can't wait to celebrate

Nothing can beat the feeling of witnessing that first smile, first step and first word - but here's a list of 'firsts' I'm really looking forward to now.

How you develop in your baby's first year

Just as babies undergo rapid growth as they learn and change in their first year, we?re learning and changing quickly as parents, too. Don?t underestimate the developmental stages you go through when you have a baby.

Can you make your baby smarter even before birth?

A product new to Australia claims to help babies be born "as intelligent as possible", but not all experts agree on the benefits of educating babies while still in the womb.

How a mother's love helped unearth the skills of an autistic savant

Autistic savant Ping Lian Yeak, a prodigious artist who has had his work shown all over the world, couldn't have done it without the support and love of his proud mum.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

A tiny heart: a baby?s death gives life to another

Simon Alexander Garcia lived only one brief hour. But somewhere, a little girl?s heart is beating today because of him.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Why is childbirth still such a pain?

The options given to women to help them cope in labour have barely changed in years.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Ideas for recording baby milestones

Get the props, lights and camera ready to record the milestone moments in your baby's first months and years. Tip: set a reminder in your phone (or jot it in a calendar) to make sure you remember it every month.

From penis amputation to fatherhood

After a botched circumcision as a child, Mike Moore was left without a penis. Years later, and after meeting the right surgeon, he was able to become a dad - naturally.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Your baby's first shoes, made with your own hands

Imagine someone saying to you, "Your baby?s shoes are magnificent, where?d you get them?" And you reply, "Oh, these? I made them."

Mother bites off pit bull's ear to save toddler

What would you do if your child was being attacked by a vicious dog? One mother recently had to learn the hard way.

Couple dies 15 hours apart after 70 years of marriage

A couple who held hands at breakfast every morning even after 70 years of marriage have died 15 hours apart.

Behind the scenes of Kate and George's cuddly photo

Every face is partially obscured, but there's no denying the happiness and love in the faces of the royal mum and bub.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Your baby?s developmental roadmap

Caring for your new baby can feel like driving along a dark highway without a GPS: you know your destination ? a happy, healthy human being ? but you?re not sure whether you?re heading in the right direction.

Breaking out of the isolation of motherhood

There can be many reasons for mummy isolation ? and you don?t have to be a new mother to feel like you're often doing it all alone. Here, mums share their stories of feeling isolated, and what they do to try to break out of it.

The billionaire baby with $10,000 worth of prams

When money is no object you can go all out when it comes to baby transportation, as this billionaire socialite has shown.

Medication helps depressed mums to breastfeed

Breastfeeding mums are often told their medication may pass into their milk, but a new study suggests the benefits of taking antidepressants are greater than any risks to baby.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.