Hospital missed broken arm WWYD?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Zmuma

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

My DD2 had an accident prior to Xmas. She pulled a glass hall table on herself. She fell backwards with the glass landing vertically on her chest and a large glass candle hit her in the head. It was horrible, I heard the crash and new what she had done. As I came around the corner there was a split second where I thought it landed across her throat. It was the worst feeling. I could have lost her so easily.

I took her straight to the local hospital rather than the Sydney Children's hospital, big mistake. They didn't even look at her chest, just listened & were just focusing on her head. I was still quite rattled and was just glad she was ok.

She was quite happy over the next 2 days but was crying every time she fell on her butt or if she fell forward. I thought she may have bruised her chest and it was hurting when she fell. Both DH and I felt uneasy.

It wasn't until I went to play round and round the garden and I turned her hand over and she screamed and took a good 10 mins to settle. I knew then that her arm was injured. I waited until she calmed down and gently squeezed down her arm until I got  near her wrist and she screamed again. Off to the Syd Children's hospital where it is confirmed that she has fractured both bones above her wrist.

After the guilt subsided I started thinking that the first hospital should have noticed or at least given her a once over.

Is it worth writing to the hospital to complain or just leave it?  I doubt my letter would change anything. But it might get back to the treating Doctor who may be more thorough next time.

#2 Kay1

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:18 PM

Oh my god yes!! They should definitely be notified, that is a terrible oversight! They should have done a thorough examination.

I'm sorry to say but this is why I always go straight to Sydney Kids Hospital.

I'm sorry your poor DD had to go through that. I hope she heals well soon, what an ordeal for all of you.

#3 Guest_3Keiki_*

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:19 PM

yes take it further, many years ago my DS had a fall, not huge but he too had pulled something over onto himself. Hospital did a full body xray to rule any break.
The doctor was very wrong in this instance and missing these kinds of things could lead to a very very serious outcome in future they need to be counselled for sure

#4 Guest_3Keiki_*

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:19 PM

dp

Edited by 3Keiki, 21 January 2013 - 08:20 PM.

#5 Juki

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:22 PM

This is horrific, I would be seeing a lawyer, not for money but to see what can be done about it.. You don't want this happening to someone else!

#6 Soontobegran

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:31 PM

So did she have any obvious bruising or swelling of her arm? Was it obviously misshapen? Was she favouring it? If she did then they have missed the ball but if no then there would be no sign they should be x-raying it. It took two days for you to have her home before you noticed that it was painful for her and you said she seemed quite happy.
They would have been focused on her head because a head injury isn't necessarily immediately obvious but if she was crying, talking and her colour was ok then the presumption would have been that she didn't have any chest damage.
It's upsetting, I understand that but you do not do full body x-raying on the chance there maybe a fracture and unless there was something immediately obvious it is really not so unusual that it could be overlooked.

I am all for making caregivers accountable for making mistakes but with young children who can not verbalise where things hurt the diagnosis is harder and dependent on observation and behaviour and it appears that a broken arm was not something that you had seen signs of immediately either.

I hope she is healing well, good luck.

#7 handsfull

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:34 PM

What STBG said.   tthumbs.gif

#8 SMforshort

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:39 PM

I don't think you need to contact a lawyer.

In your place I would write to the Director of Clinical Governance at the Hospital.  Tell them about the missed fracture and ask that this be brought to the attention of the attending doctor/s.  Ask for these doctors to have counselling or further education about assessing young children for injuries following an accident.  Ask to be advised of what action was taken.

I think it is great that you are using your experience to educate so that this doctor doesn't make the same mistake again.

#9 belinda1976

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:39 PM

It's not Ryde Hospital is it?  They misdiagnosed DH's badly broken ankle.... he had to get metal plates and screws put in his ankle, that's how bad it was... and they didn't pick it up from his X-rays.

I agree with SMforshort - I don't think you need to involve lawyers etc but I'd definatley be writing a letter to the head of the hospital.

Edited by belinda1976, 21 January 2013 - 08:40 PM.

#10 ednaboo

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:41 PM

I wouldn't do anything.  They treated her for a head injury because that is where you told them she hurt herself.  I don't want to make you feel more guilty, but you didn't notice that her arm was sore for two days, so it can't have been very obvious. A Dr can't order full body xrays for every child who comes into the ED - it would be incredibly expensive and time consuming. I would let it go.

Edited by ednaboo, 21 January 2013 - 08:44 PM.

#11 copham

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:42 PM

My sisters DD at 3 broke her arm riding a scooter, she was taken to the hospital with slight concision but they didn't pick up on the broken arm. My sister took her to her GP for a check up 3 days later who diagnosed the broken arm, understandably my sister was livid and wrote of to NSW health.

I understand they are too young to verbalise what is wrong with them but its not that hard to give the child a full check over.

#12 i-candi

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:45 PM

My brother was an adult and the ER sent him home saying he sprained his ankle. It turned out that he broke it so badly that he needed plates and screws and spent over a week in hospital.

These things happen, my brother didn't sue. Don't listen to the PP who said to go to a lawyer  rolleyes.gif

#13 Kay1

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:45 PM

I don't think you need to contact a lawyer.

In your place I would write to the Director of Clinical Governance at the Hospital. Tell them about the missed fracture and ask that this be brought to the attention of the attending doctor/s. Ask for these doctors to have counselling or further education about assessing young children for injuries following an accident. Ask to be advised of what action was taken.

I think it is great that you are using your experience to educate so that this doctor doesn't make the same mistake again.

Agreed.

#14 Mumma3

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:48 PM

When my DD was 5, she fell off our front fence. Not high, but a nasty landing on the water meter. After a couple of hours of keeping an eye on her at home, we took her to (insert well known children's hospital in our state).

DD was not a whingy kid, but she sat quietly, pale faced, not eating, and not interested in anything for a few hours in the waiting room. When she was finally taken in, I explained to the dr that she was favouring her hand, that she wasn't "herself", and that I was concerned she may have injured her wrist. I said quite clearly, that she wasn't a whingy crying kind of kid, and would always try to be brave when she hurt herself.

My concerns were dismissed, because, as he put it "if it was broken, she would be crying" he manipulated her hand and arm, and she didn't cry out, instead screwed up her face and had a few silent tears (if he had just looked at her face, he would have seen she was trying to be brave).

Anyway, we were sent home. Next day, she wasn't using it, and was cradling it to herself. I ended up taking her to a local GP clinic, where they assessed her, X-rayed it, reviewed the X-rays, and plastered it up in just over an hour. Poor thing had a fracture in her wrist.

I called the hospital the next day, and spoke to their liaison person. I didn't want to make a fuss (and I had no desire to speak to a lawyer, as a pp suggested the OP should do). What I did want, was for that youngish doctor to be reminded that parents know their child best, that not all children scream and cry and carry on when in pain, and that he have his notes on her assessment reviewed for further training.

It is hard, OP, when professionals make a mistake, and I was very upset when it happened to us. I would let them know that it did turn out to be broken, so they can at least review her case notes, and if necessary, give the doctor who assessed her some additional training.

#15 Therese

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:52 PM

I agree with STBG. I'm sorry they missed her broken arm but by the sounds of it it wasn't the obvious issue at the time.

#16 fancie

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:53 PM

What would I do in this situation?

I'd be getting rid of that glass hall table before it does some irreparable damage to a child.

Edited by fancie, 21 January 2013 - 10:03 PM.

#17 outdoorgirl81

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:56 PM

Tbh sounds more like a delayed presentation than a "missed" broken arm to me, she wasn't showing any signs, you didn't take her I with an arm injury, and both her parents, who see her all day every day and know her best didn't notice anything was wrong with her arm till 2 days later. The concept of doing a full body X-ray in such a situation is quite frankly ludicrous. The injury was detected and there was no adverse outcome, i'd be letting it go

#18 LambChop

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:59 PM

What I did want, was for that youngish doctor to be reminded that parents know their child best, that not all children scream and cry and carry on when in pain, and that he have his notes on her assessment reviewed for further training.
  Love your work !  Reality that can potentially make a real difference to future treatment for yourself and others.

Edited by LambChop, 21 January 2013 - 09:00 PM.

#19 Oriental lily

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:59 PM

I agree with soontobegran and fancie.

#20 Soontobegran

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:02 PM

QUOTE (PinkNBlue85 @ 21/01/2013, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I understand they are too young to verbalise what is wrong with them but its not that hard to give the child a full check over.

There is really nothing to say that examining the child's arms and legs would have revealed a simple fracture.

If they missed a badly aligned, bruised and swollen arm then there is definitely cause for concern but since the child was happy when she went home it seems there was nothing immediately obvious.
X-rays are not something that will be done when the child is asymptomatic, they need to be kept to a minimum in children.

As I said missing the fact that it was obviously malformed and the child was unable to use it would mean they have screwed up but the fact that she went home happy without her parents noticing her having a problem with it for more than a day it really does not have to equal negligence.

#21 matt1972

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:05 PM

I would be extremely upset if a piece of furniture of mine injured my young daughter and that feeling would be immensely compounded if I didn't notice that she had a broken arm for over 2 days but I wouldn't try and make some body else responsible for it.

For the PP who said contact a lawyer "but not for money" what other reason could there be for contacting a lawyer in this instance?

#22 Academic

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:07 PM

I had a similar thing when I was hit by a car about seven years ago. It was obvious that I had broken my shoulder, and that is what they x-rayed in the hospital (after first making sure I didn't have any life-threatening injuries). They didn't x-ray anything else, even though my whole body felt like it was on fire and I couldn't really pinpoint one pain over another.

Two weeks later, I noticed that my wrist was still aching a lot, particularly since I was restricted to using that arm to do everything as the other was held in a cuff and collar. I mentioned it at my follow-up appointment with the orthopedist and he sent me to x-ray. Sure enough, I had a fracture in that wrist.

About two weeks after that, I realised my left big toe hurt a lot (it had hurt a lot in the hospital initially and I pointed it out, but no-one seemed particularly interested, I guess it seemed minor compared to the other potential injuries they were testing me for) and again had it x-rayed, again it was broken. Of course there is little that can be done for a broken toe anyway.

I was surprised that I didn't have my whole body x-rayed given the impact my body had suffered. It really annoyed me, more so with my wrist because I'd been using it and I shouldn't have been. I never followed it up, I'm not sure what it would have accomplished, but you are well within your rights to complain to the hospital about your poor DD, especially as children are less able to articulate their pain or realise they might have a fracture.

Edited by Academic, 21 January 2013 - 09:09 PM.

#23 bakesgirls

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:08 PM

TBH, I wouldn't make a big deal over it. She was examined for a head and chest injury, as that was the injury that you knew of. It took you, her parent who knows her best, 2 days to notice that something was amiss. A doctor, or any person for that matter wouldn't have known to check her arm if she was showing no signs of distress, and there was no obvious deformity.

I also agree with PP's that have said that hospitals can't be ordering full body xrays for every kid that shows up with an injury 'just in case'. It would cost a fortune that our health system just can't afford, not to mention exposing people unnecessarily to xrays they don't need.

Hope your daughter is feeling better soon OP.

#24 flopsy

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:12 PM

Twice I have presented at the hospital and been sent home with a "sprain" and have had broken bones. Recently DP got sent home with "cramp" and he had a fractured leg. Unfortunately it happens and some of the time fractures don't show up on xrays until days later anyway.

If you didn't realise her arm was even sore for two days after the event I don't think its too outrageous that the doctors didn't pick it up when you told them she hurt her head and chest. She must be a very tough little girl!

#25 TeaTimeTreat

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:12 PM

You can check for fractures without doing a full xray, when we have taken DS in for a fall they have manipulated limbs and watch him and how well he is able to walk/stand, took 5 mins tops for them to diagnose a foot fracture and clear his arms, wrists, collarbone etc, they then sent him of for a foot xray.

I would complain in writing and request they be more thorough.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Ambulance service under fire: baby seats to go, response times 'worse than ever'

The NSW Ambulance Service is removing child-safety seats from ambulances, while the Victorian service is facing criticism over lengthy response times following the death of a three-year-old.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Is e-reading to your toddler story time or just screen time?

When reading increasingly means swiping pages on a device, and we're advised to read to their children early and often, should parents be turning to e-readers for storytime?

Community mourns inspiring young dad

A young dad who fought a five-year battle with cancer has been remembered for his inspiring legacy at a funeral service attended by hundreds of family and friends this week.

Meningococcal kills Queensland toddler

Public health authorities say the death of a toddler in north Queensland from meningococcal disease highlights the danger the illness poses.

Nicole Kidman: 'I hope every month that I'm pregnant'

Nicole Kidman is hoping to add to her family, but says she's doubtful it will happen.

Recall: Aldi Wooden London Bus play set

Aldi has announced a recall of their popular Wooden London Bus play set.

Great gift ideas for first birthdays

From soft toys to balance bikes, here are some great ideas for first birthday gifts.

Mum learnt she was pregnant hours before giving birth

Kim Walsh arrived at the doctor with abdominal cramps. Hours later, she was cradling the baby experts told her she could never have.

How cancer has made me a better, happier person

I'm a far better person post-cancer than I ever was before. The goal now is to stay around long enough to find out who I can become, and what I can achieve.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Warnings over child pain relief doses

The Therapeutic Goods Administration has warned parents and carers over a "confusing" pain relief dosage system.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.