what happens if someone calls DCP about you?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 hiddensecrets

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:52 PM

I am asking this question because something weird happened today:

About 3 weeks ago a young man (17) moved in (will call him A) with us as he had no where else to go after his mum kicked him out and his aunt basically used him for slave labor and wouldnt let him have any freedom etc.

Today I was on the phone to my super company and my mobile rang.  DH answered it and they asked for me but I was busy.  So they then asked to speak to A.

When I finished my phone call, A was already finished.  He said that it was from DCP and they asked him if he could go live with any other family members (he had already gone through this with centrelink and was approved for living away from home).  When he said no, they then demanded to know his mothers address and phone number (they asked for his mum's details using her name).  Then they hung up.

I tried ringing them back, and the receptionist sent an email to everyone but so far we have no call back.

A rang centrelink to see if they knew anything about it as they were the ones that signed off on his living away from home allowance.  The social worker (who gave us her direct line) said centrelink dont do that, and that the report would have come from someone else.

We are now wondering if someone has reported him or myself to DCP (as they didnt talk to my DH who answered the phone)....

Do DCP make weird phone calls like this when you have been reported?  or do they generally just turn up?

#2 erindiv

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:57 PM

Was it a genuine call from DCP? Or could it have been someone from his family?

edit: Sorry, just saw the bit about calling them back. I guess you would assume it was the aunt that reported you? I have known of someone who had DCP just show up.

Edited by erindiv, 21 January 2013 - 06:58 PM.

#3 JustBeige

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:05 PM

My understanding (no experience with) is that it has to be a fairly severe complaint OR they are finally acting after a series of complaints about the same thing - especially with a child of his age.

Weird that they didnt know his mothers address and phone number though.  I would expect that DCP would have those details already.

Next time get their full name, title  and extension number.   Then ring the DCP and find out if they are a true person.

I have to wonder if its a dodgy family member trying to track him or his mother down also.

ETA: Is he working or on newstart or the like or is he still a student?

Edited by JustBeige, 21 January 2013 - 07:06 PM.

#4 hiddensecrets

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:08 PM

THe thing that got me was that the number that called me was the reception number.  If it was legit (I am now wondering if someone was "borrowing" their phone to call and was playing with us as the aunt plays dirty) wouldnt it have come from the case workers number which wouldnt be the actual reception number???

This is all so confusing but they will have a fight on their hands if they try to go through with it.  I have nothing to hide.  A has nothing to hide.

Apparently the aunt has done this before.

#5 Kismama

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:08 PM

Just showed up here.

We weren't home so they left a card. I called. I went in. They sent a letter to say all was well.

#6 hiddensecrets

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:09 PM

QUOTE (JustBeige @ 21/01/2013, 05:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My understanding (no experience with) is that it has to be a fairly severe complaint OR they are finally acting after a series of complaints about the same thing - especially with a child of his age.

Weird that they didnt know his mothers address and phone number though.  I would expect that DCP would have those details already.

Next time get their full name, title  and extension number.   Then ring the DCP and find out if they are a true person.

I have to wonder if its a dodgy family member trying to track him or his mother down also.

ETA: Is he working or on newstart or the like or is he still a student?

He is a student.  There would not have been a series of complaints unless they were all from his aunt, or they got other people involved on a bogus claim.

Its actually kind of freaking me out.

His dad is mentally ill but we called to see what he knew and all he could say was get a VRO against the aunt as she has done this before.

#7 Mummytoyou

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:10 PM

What is DCP?

#8 Guest_Dinah_Harris_*

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:13 PM

Department of child protection?

#9 hiddensecrets

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:14 PM

QUOTE (Dinah_Harris @ 21/01/2013, 05:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Department of child protection?

Bingo.

A said they didnt give him their name either, and just said they were from DCP. That in its self was weird.

DH cant remember if a name was given.

#10 Bwok~Bwok

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

No not weird - if she's done it before there will be a file.

I had my 5 year old GNiece stay with my for 2 weeks. DCP called just to verify with ME that I was ok with her being here, how I would go about looking after her because I work full time Etc etc

You'll find that's why they want to talk to you. They may even want to do a visit.

#11 WinterDancesHere

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

QUOTE (hiddensecrets @ 21/01/2013, 08:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
THe thing that got me was that the number that called me was the reception number.  If it was legit (I am now wondering if someone was "borrowing" their phone to call and was playing with us as the aunt plays dirty) wouldnt it have come from the case workers number which wouldnt be the actual reception number???

No help on the rest, but you can set up phone systems to show a different number as the callback/caller ID number.

It is often done in office environments where they don't want clients to have direct contact numbers.

#12 tamjk

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

In my experience the only time you get a warning phone call is if they suspect you are not currently living at the address they have you down at.

BIL got a phone call because at the time the complaint had been made he was living in a house that ended up burning down.
I did not get a call when they showed up on my door step. They just showed up the day after we got home from a family holiday.

The first thing they did was give their names and show me their credentials. Then they made sure they had the right family and made sure I knew exactly what the issue was they were investigating. We had a follow up visit two weeks later to see that I had fixed what they were concerned about. Then they referred me to another organisation that could help me fix other issues that had arisen since the initial complaint that would become cause for concern if they weren't treated promptly.

#13 wintergirl

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

If it was DCP the may just show up, but always have to wear ID, provide you with their name etc. If it was them that called, the number would have been a blocked/private number, but again they would have had to ID themselves. It is very very unlikely they would "just hang up", they would have had to give some info on where to from here. Plus they normally just ring to arrange a meeting time so they can discuss complaints/concerns and get a response so that next steps can be arranged. You could just ring the local office (that's who would have the case if there is one) and ask for the intake officer or case assessment officer and they would have been the person who called, again if DCP at all.
In response to PP they don't necessarily have parents details already, will only have details that the complainant gave.
I wouldn't worry unless they cal back/come over.
Good luck

#14 adl

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:32 PM

Don't you think it's weird OP said he was 17? Although a minor , hardly a child as from 16 they don't have to live at home??? Surely that makes it a bit suspect it really was DCP??

#15 hiddensecrets

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

QUOTE (adl @ 21/01/2013, 05:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't you think it's weird OP said he was 17? Although a minor , hardly a child as from 16 they don't have to live at home??? Surely that makes it a bit suspect it really was DCP??

Well I rang the number and it was DCP (googled it first) because, as you said, I was finding it a bit weird as he is 17.  This aunty did make it obvious she wants him because she wants his youth allowance.  Even his dad said to get a restraining order.  Centrelink had no issues with him living here.  We went through a lot of hoo har with them (social worker appointments etc).

#16 immismum

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:31 PM

No experience with an older child, but when my DD was 1 my X reported me.  (We were in the middle of a nasty family law case)

In my experience they called me, and then requested that I take my DD to the GP and to the MCHN.  They then called them, and spoke to them.  The file was closed, and I never actually saw them.

I doubt DCP will get involved, given the child is 17, if you are in Victoria, I don't think they even have jurisdiction when it is a new case and the child is that old.
Just checked, and the children's court, family division can only make orders for the protection and care of children aged under 17.

Dn't worry about it OP, if there is something to be concerned with it will show itself in time, in the meantime do what you are doing now, which is to provide a stable secure place for this young man to live, while grows.

#17 hiddensecrets

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:40 PM

We are in WA and there was no request to that extent (regarding GP's etc).

I spoke to a friend of a friend that works in DCP and she said firstly we wouldnt have been reported as they turn up first they dont call.
She also said if its me being reported, no matter what they would not have talked to A which means that the call was pertaining to him and only him.

The two scenarios she has given as possible are:

a) Centrelink may have cross referenced as his living away from home has been approved just last week.  She said even if the centrelink social worker claimed she didnt call them, they dont generally tell someone if they did.  and it does happen.  or youth allowance people may have called to check up to make sure the claim is completely legit.

b) The aunt may have reported A and said he could be living with her (family).  In which case, if she does pull this one all A has to do is say he doesnt want to live with her at all and no judge will sign off on it.

Basically she said to stop worrying because if there was anything to worry about we would have been dropped in on.

The other possibility is that someone "borrowed" dcp's phone using some excuse then called us from that number....but we will know for sure in the next few days if they call back.

#18 unicorn

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:09 PM

When DS17 enquired about the living away from home allowance he had to get me and the family he was staying with (temporary, closer to town) to sign forms stating that there was major conflict, as in not ordinary family spats, and for is own welfare he couldn't live at home. He didnt go through with it so i dont know what would have happened.
But maybe in your case they are following that up. Does he have younger siblings still at home? They could be doing a welfare check for them too.?.

Edited by unicorn, 21 January 2013 - 10:11 PM.

#19 hiddensecrets

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:15 PM

QUOTE (unicorn @ 21/01/2013, 08:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When DS17 enquired about the living away from home allowance he had to get me and the family he was staying with (temporary, closer to town) to sign forms stating that there was major conflict, as in not ordinary family spats, and for is own welfare he couldn't live at home. He didnt go through with it so i dont know what would have happened.
But maybe in your case they are following that up. Does he have younger siblings still at home? They could be doing a welfare check for them too.?.

Yes he has younger siblings so that could make sense

#20 sarahs_three

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:26 PM

When i had care of a family member via them, they would always call from a private number, state who it was. id be having doubts it come from them.
i also doubt that someone could walk in and use there phone.
Ive been into the Victorian Footscray branch and the receptionist is right next to the phone so they would of heard.

#21 hiddensecrets

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:33 PM

QUOTE (sarahs_three @ 21/01/2013, 08:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When i had care of a family member via them, they would always call from a private number, state who it was. id be having doubts it come from them.
i also doubt that someone could walk in and use there phone.
Ive been into the Victorian Footscray branch and the receptionist is right next to the phone so they would of heard.

Well it came from them because when I googled the number that the call came from it came up as DCP.  So unless you can make a call from another phone but tap into DCP's number then it was definitely from them.  But I always thought it would be like centrelink and be a blocked number as well....and I thought she would have disclosed her name and title to A.

something doesnt make sense.

#22 Green Fairy

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:38 PM

Perhaps A isn't being entirely truthful about the contents of the conversation or being a 17yr old boy didn't really pay attention to what was said?

#23 hiddensecrets

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:43 PM

QUOTE (Green Fairy @ 21/01/2013, 08:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Perhaps A isn't being entirely truthful about the contents of the conversation or being a 17yr old boy didn't really pay attention to what was said?

DH was listening in (my phone is rather loud) and backed him up so I dont think he would be lying about it.  If he was DH would be the first to say so.  Mind you it could be possible but highly improbable.  I will just await DCP's call back and see what this is really about.

#24 Tiger Lilly

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:55 PM

I'd be wary of anything given your current situation.

#25 hiddensecrets

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:39 AM

QUOTE (Mexy @ 21/01/2013, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd be wary of anything given your current situation.

Completely understand that but my friend from DCP did say that they are well known to doing checks based on centrelink info so they might be checking into his welfare and into the welfare of his siblings as they are all for families staying together (which is nice).

We will attempt to call them again in the morning.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Australia's top baby names of 2013

Essential Baby has compiled the data available from government records around the country to bring you the list of Australia's top baby names of 2013.

Sara James: fighting for my daughter

Sara James was a high-profile New York journalist, but it was her own daughter's story which raised the most questions.

Siblings and best of friends

I know we'll have some tense moments. I know there will be arguments. But I also know these two will always have this most beautiful bond.

In defence of mums on the phone

I know news stories always attract a range of opinions, and I know they're a place for people to have an anonymous dig in. However, I also know that this mum bashing has to stop.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Pregnancy essentials for the second and third trimesters

So you're through the first trimester of pregnancy - congratulations! Here are some tips for getting through the next six months as comfortably and happily as possible.

Coles Easter eggs recalled due to presence of tree nuts

An allergic reaction has lead to the urgent recall of a variety of Coles brand Easter eggs.

The ultimate travel stroller: the Mountain Buggy nano

We tried the Mountain Buggy nano and give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. As the ultimate travel stroller, it's practical, has great features, and looks fab, too.

Why I love the small age gap between my kids

Six months after our son turned one, we welcomed son number two into our lives. Yes, the small age gap had been planned - and there are things I love and hate about that small gap.

Parents warned about posting kids' photos online

Parents could be putting their kids at risk by posting images and information online which give away personal details, such as where they go to school and which parks they frequent.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Mum's the word when it comes to baby news

The arrival of a baby is big news, but friends and family need to understand it is not their news to share.

What?s in your parenting toolbox?

So often as parents, we don?t really talk about our ?parenting toolboxes?. But you need to be aware of what you and your partner are working with, and to decide what does and doesn't fit in your lives.

Classroom pregnancy prank goes viral

An American college professor has had to rethink his strict rule about answering cell phones in class after being the victim of an April Fools' prank that has gone viral.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Australia's top baby names of 2013

Essential Baby has compiled the data available from government records around the country to bring you the list of Australia's top baby names of 2013.

Video: Dad turns son into action movie hero

Many kids would love to be an action movie hero in real life, but very few will ever be able to see themselves in movies like these.

Toilet training in winter

There?s no need to stop thinking about toilet training just because the temperature is dropping: winter is a good a time as any to start the process.

What do you do all day?

It's the question all new mothers dread. For Kate Fridkis, it's a question that strikes to the heart of what it is to be a woman.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Video: Baby starts his day with a dance party

Few people start their day the same way this little guy does ? dancing, smiling, and generally having an awesome time.

IKEA announces bed canopy recall

IKEA has recalled its range of bed canopies designed to suspend above children?s beds following reported cases of injuries and entanglement.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.