Natural mc or d&c?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Sassi

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:56 PM

I had my 9 week scan this morning and found out that our little baby's heart has stopped beating. I am inconsolable - at 42 pregnancy is a real (and rare) gift. This happened to me at about the same time in my pregnancy 12 months ago and I really thought this time everything would be fine.
Last time I had a d&c as it was a 'missed' miscarriage. This time I have started spotting and have the option to let nature run its course or have a d&c later this week. My inclination is to have another d&c and just get it over and done with so I can start healing (mentally and physically) but am concerned about the risk of permanent damage from multiple  d&c's. I would appreciate anyone's advice or experience from similar experiences.
My best wishes to everyone - hope everything goes well for you.
Many thanks

#2 BellO'Feral

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:28 PM

Have PM'd you

#3 RCTP

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

I am so sorry you lost bub Sassi x

I have had two miscarriages and have let both happen naturally but the bleeding went on for a few weeks with the second one so that was extra unpleasant.

#4 hanz33

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

QUOTE (Bell07 @ 21/01/2013, 01:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have PM'd you

What are the reasons you wouldn't want to go natural? original.gif

#5 libbylu

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:41 PM

Sorry for your loss.  It is such a heartbreaking experience.
My miscarriage was at 7 weeks, but had stopped growing at 5.5. I let it happen naturally and it was mostly fine. There was only one day where the cramping was very painful and I was really incapacitated. I think it was the third day of bleeding.  I bled for about a week all up and the other days were just like a normal period.  In hindsight I should have taken some painkillers on that hard day.  You'd want to be able to take a few days off work anyway, which is probably the best for your mental health in any case.

#6 LumpySpacePrincess

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:28 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss.

I recommend a d&c. I had a natural miscarriage afew months ago and it was excruciating. I bled for nearly 12wks. The bleeding started 2wks before I actually lost the first bub then it was another 2wks till i lost the second and the feeling of them passing out is something I'll never forget nor wish upon anyone. I wish I had been offered a d&c. In the days leading up to passing each bub I was in utter agony, I was writhing in pain and couldn't walk or even sit up most of the time. And because I bled for so long I ended up with a rash from having to wear pads so that long. There are pros and cons for both options but for me I'll never let it happen naturally again.

#7 caroldiem

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:38 PM

Hi Sassi,

Firstly I am very sorry for your loss, it truly is heartbreaking too many angels in heaven.

D&C is surgery and there are risks associated to that, for me i would always opt for natural miscarriage. The biggest risk is getting Ashermans Syndrome this is where you have uterine scarring and it can affect your fertility and ability to have more children there is a link on my blog which takes you to a website explaining Ashermans Syndrome and the risks of mulitple D&Cs there is also a sticky at the top of the Miscarriage thread which was a thread a fellow EB member posted unfortunately due to multiple D&Cs she did suffer Ashermans it's not something you want to get

Edited by caroldiem, 21 January 2013 - 03:39 PM.

#8 Sassi

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:20 PM

Dear Bell07, RCTP, hanz33, libbylou,choesmum2008 and caroldiem,
Thank you so much for your support at this really difficult time. It is not an easy decision and I really appreciate your advice and support.
Best wishes

#9 big blue sky

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:42 PM

Hi Sassi
I have had two mis-miscarrriages (one at 13 weeks, one at 9 weeks). I know what you are going through and I'm sorry for your loss.  I had to have a d&c for both mine as I was not going to pass them naturally and I have had no problems or scaring, I'm now 11 weeks pg with everything looking fine (at 9 weeks, can't wait for the next scan to check everything is still ok). It is a very personal and hard choice, I hope it all works out for you.

#10 bettinae

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:41 AM

Sassi: I am so sorry for you loss xxxx and the fact that you have to even have this decision xxx bbighug.gif

I have had several M/C's and in the beginging mine were like yours where there was no heatbeat on ultrasound and on all occassions I have gone naturally..even on our latetest which was in dec 2011 and that was IVF and the nurse said that they now recomend that you just go natural...I was quiet suprised because 15 years ago when we first started having our M/C's they put you straight in and had a Dand C  and I had to fight to wait and go natural  Natural seemed complete then to me as horriable as it was ..... bbighug.gif  hheart.gif

Thinking of you and be kind to you and DH xxxxx

#11 fancie

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:49 AM

OP, I'm very sorry for your loss.

When I had my M/C 15 years ago (I was 38yo back then) and no heart beat was detected at 7.5 weeks and slight bleeding, my dr advised me that it was better for the uterus to m/c naturally than to have a d&c.  He said that it was less traumatic for the uterus and it would 'heal' faster than having a procedure to hasten the loss.

Again, I'm so very sorry.  Take care

#12 envs

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:13 AM

Hi Sassi

So sorry you have to go through this.

Fwiw, I let my bub go naturally at about 11 weeks. I had read in some magazine somewhere that a girl had almost been forced to do a d&c but the hospital relented. She had a natural miscarriage but it turned out that the u/s didn't pick up the second foetus, and had she had a d&c, her second bub would have been aborted needlessly along with the twin that had passed.

Hence, in vain hope, I went natural, but also to avoid the possibility of perforation of the uterus....i figured, if there were unexpelled products after going natural they could do the d&c then. It was absolutely excruciating, my dh stayed home with me and even though it was our first, he was compelled to say we didn't have to have any children if it meant that much pain for me ever again. Bless him : )

I wish you all the best whatever your decision.

#13 Sassi

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:11 AM

Thank you to everyone who has posted
I know how hard it is to reflect on angel babies and truly appreciate you sharing what is such a heartbreaking and painful experience. Just knowing that I am not alone means so much. bbighug.gif

As painful and uncomfortable as it is (here I am at 3am), I think nature's way is probably the best way for me on this occasion.
I wish you all the very best for beautiful healthy bubs.

#14 KDA

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:35 AM

So sorry for your loss.

I had 2 MC last year, the first one I had a d&c as I was in hospital and in far too much pain to go home. The 2nd one I wasn't as far along so decided to let nature do its job. I bled for about 2 weeks and passed many clots, so I thought it was over and done with. About 2 weeks later I started what I thought was AF returning. Within about 2 hours I had bled so much I was changing pads before I could even step out of the bathroom, turns out my body didn't naturally expel everything it should have and a lot of it was retained so I ended up having to have another d&c.

I wish you all the best.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Student shocked by surprise baby

Kate Hudson, 22, was on a dream European holiday with friends. She didn't realise she was about to become a mum.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.