Teachers' strike Feb 14

• Please log in to reply
208 replies to this topic

#1 ***MEZ***

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:15 PM

In Vic. Too soon in the new year or early enough not to be too much of an imposition?

#2 Mpjp is feral

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:20 PM

Bloody annoying is what it is.

But I suppose that's the point.

My work are not impressed - all this time off over Xmas...and now more time for strikes. Lucky I can get the time. I know several families at school that can not (having used all their leave and working in positions such as health where you just cant let every parent have the day off), and have no alternatives so kids are staying at home by themselves.

#3 maurie

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:27 PM

AT least it's not on one of my work days this time  - looks like I will have dd and a bunch of her friends over.

#4 TheGreenSheep

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

Fortunately its on my day off this time. So frustrating for the kids too, DS loves school.

#5 Rachaelxxx

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:36 PM

Why the hell can't they just sort this out.  It's gone on way too long and don't get me wrong I back our teachers 150% and I know they want the parents to suffer, but why.  We signed petition after petition at our school.  Let's be honest, us as parents are really powerless and this is just another thing we have to put up with.

Ohhh and for the record I am working and our school will have already had a student free day in the mix as well  sad.gif

#6 Lyra

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:39 PM

QUOTE (Rachaelxxx @ 21/01/2013, 01:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why the hell can't they just sort this out.  It's gone on way too long and don't get me wrong I back our teachers 150% and I know they want the parents to suffer, but why.  We signed petition after petition at our school.  Let's be honest, us as parents are really powerless and this is just another thing we have to put up with.

Ohhh and for the record I am working and our school will have already had a student free day in the mix as well  sad.gif

You can also choose not to vote for the current Govt at the next state election. Not that it helps you know, of course. My daughter is at a non-government school so she is not affected. My son goes to a government school so will be having the day off.

#7 ***MEZ***

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

Rachael, the govt won't negotiate at all, despite pledging to make us the best paid in Oz. We are just asking for less than what the nurses and police got (12% over 3 years-not much more than CPI) and no rubbish performance pay ideas. Baillieu will not negotiate.

#8 Rachaelxxx

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:46 PM

Mez, I'm with you guys on this one.  In fact this year I will be working in the office at my girls school.  I just had a look at my calendar and for the month of February we have 2 student free days and this teachers strike, that's 3 days in the first month back.

So what ends up happening when the government just will not budge.  I was told that things are going to get pretty messy.  No teachers will be attending school sports, outside activities, school camps etc, it's not going to be a good year is it.

#9 kadoodle

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:46 PM

A strike for Valentine's day.  How very romantic of them.  

The kids and I will be marching in solidarity if I don't have to work.  If I do, they they'll be wearing PPE and "helping" me.

#10 ~Tranquillity~

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:48 PM

That's my son's birthday. He'll be thrilled he gets to stay home!

#11 MrsLexiK

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:53 PM

At least the traffic will be light!!!!

If I was a parent with a child at school it would really peeve me off.  But then I see no issue with performance based pay for everyone as all the industry's I have worked in over the years have had this.  Even my sister a nurse is for performance base pay.

#12 ***MEZ***

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:53 PM

This will drag on till the next election, I would imagine, then be some sort of vote-buying exercise from both labor and liberal. (As it was last time!) The 38 hour week bans start on the first day back for us and I think that will really highlight the out of hours work teachers do. My school has already cancelled the annual musical and every camp bar yr 7 (massive non refundable deposit had been paid). It has been 2 years and they absolutely will not budge. I think it's really going to get ugly.

#13 ***MEZ***

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:56 PM

Mrslexik, there's no way of quantifying how good a teacher really is using data. Too many variables. We have different students in different classes, subjects, schools, suburbs etc. all it does is stop collaboration and collegiality. It has been abandoned overseas as useless and was an abject failure under Kennett as well.

#14 Lyra

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:19 PM

QUOTE (***MEZ*** @ 21/01/2013, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This will drag on till the next election, I would imagine, then be some sort of vote-buying exercise from both labor and liberal. (As it was last time!) The 38 hour week bans start on the first day back for us and I think that will really highlight the out of hours work teachers do. My school has already cancelled the annual musical and every camp bar yr 7 (massive non refundable deposit had been paid). It has been 2 years and they absolutely will not budge. I think it's really going to get ugly.

My husband was wondering about the knock-on effects for all the places that have camps etc. Obviously, they will get income from non-govt schools but surely it will still have an impact

QUOTE (***MEZ*** @ 21/01/2013, 01:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mrslexik, there's no way of quantifying how good a teacher really is using data. Too many variables. We have different students in different classes, subjects, schools, suburbs etc. all it does is stop collaboration and collegiality. It has been abandoned overseas as useless and was an abject failure under Kennett as well.

this is so true. I also think there is a massive misunderstanding about what teachers actually 'do'. I had the discussion recently with someone about all the holidays and why don't we have pupil free days ie PD in the holidays. And, it wasn't until I explained that many PDs are school-centric and if you are a contract teacher you don't get paid in the holidays (and might not even know where you will be working) then you can't access the PD

#15 MrsLexiK

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

What bringing in a HR type person? perhaps not school specific but for area or something like that?  I can tell you the teachers that didn't deserve as much as the teachers that did as a student. I would love to be a teacher, honestly I would but I understand what my conditions would be - that is not the reason I am not school studing it though.  The reason I am not at school studying it is because I don't like how you blamed and thought of if you are not in the union. So whilst I would love to do it, and I believe I would be good at it (as do some teachers and ex teachers I know) I will stay out.  

The fact that Deakin now has an enter score of 60 to get in to teaching is actually something that should be highlighted as well.  I remember the score I needed to get into teaching when I was in yr 12 and it was not 60, it was a very long way from 60. In an occupation which is dealing with spelling, maths and grammar and teaching these things I would like to think the person doing the teaching is able to understand the concepts behind it all not just know the rules.

#16 FeralBob!

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

Exactly. Which teacher is better, the one who gets outstanding naplan results or the one whose results are average? But what if I point out that the first teacher teaches in an upper socio economic area full of wealthy, educated  engaged parents and the second teacher has spent most of the the year teaching her refugee students English and getting them up to speed with all the education they missed in the war zone they grew up in? You're not comparing apples with apples, you're not even in the same bloody orchard!

#17 ***MEZ***

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:39 PM

Exactly, happynewbob!

MslexiK, are you saying that students should be the ones to decide which teachers get performance pay? A lot of popular teachers are also pretty ineffective.

The deakin atar was actually 46, which is someone who would have failed HSC back in the day. Blame the federal govt for getting rid of the student cap for that one. Yes, it's a concern. Good students will not become teachers with the current pay and conditions.

#18 Illiterati

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:02 PM

Because of the way they have decided to stage their industrial action this year - depriving kids of the things they most look forward to in their school lives (eg camps), the teachers at my childrens school have lost my support.

#19 Rachaelxxx

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

Well maybe it might not all be doom and gloom, just got this from a friend in parliament.  Not giving an opinion either way, I'm just a parent wanting a resolution for the sake of our children.

Following is a statement by Minister Hall from last Friday regarding the strike action.

Minister responsible for the Teaching Profession Peter Hall said that the
AEU had stepped over the mark when it directed its members not to write
student reports and to now ban school camps and extra-curricular activities.

“The Coalition Government will no longer tolerate actions like the planned
state-wide strike on February 14 that will cause significant disruption to
the start of the school year and to the education of Victorian government
school students,” Mr Hall said.

“Today we are urging the unions to call off their escalated industrial action which puts at risk school camps, excursions, school fetes and sporting activities. In addition, union members have indicated they won’t
be undertaking essential parts of the teaching role, such as assessment, reporting and marking.”

The Coalition Government has notified the unions that it believes some elements of their current log of claims are illegal.

“We have informed the unions that if they do not cease their threatened industrial action by January 29, it is the Coalition Government’s intention to seek an injunction from the Federal Court, under the Fair Work Act, to
prevent such actions,” Mr Hall said.

The Coalition Government has invited the unions to meet in the week commencing 28 January to resume discussion towards a resolution of this prolonged dispute.

“All teachers received a 2.75 per cent salary increase last year, putting teachers’ salaries in the range of $56,985 for a graduate teacher to
$91,883 for a leading teacher at the top of the salary scale. The AEU is denying its members further increases by now refusing to negotiate,” Mr Hall said.

“We are prepared to talk business with the union. If the AEU want more than
a 2.5 per cent salary increase for their members, then they need to talk to
us about how student learning outcomes can be improved and how teachers can
contribute to that improvement

#20 MrsLexiK

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:24 PM

QUOTE (***MEZ*** @ 21/01/2013, 02:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Exactly, happynewbob!

MslexiK, are you saying that students should be the ones to decide which teachers get performance pay? A lot of popular teachers are also pretty ineffective.

The deakin atar was actually 46, which is someone who would have failed HSC back in the day. Blame the federal govt for getting rid of the student cap for that one. Yes, it's a concern. Good students will not become teachers with the current pay and conditions.

I was just trying to make a point that if you are a student you normally know the ineffective teachers.  I do think that something could be implemented.

You have got to be kidding me! 46! I must have read it wrong because I was shocked when it read 60! I don't think that current pay is such an issue as long as you understand the conditions.  (Remember I am coming from someone who did infact want to be in that, and who understands it is not a 9-3 job)  

I do think it is a tough industry to actually be family friendly in (for both males and females so whilst I may have the balls to stand up to the teachers that I feel don't agree with my non union membership I don't am not at a stage in my life where working full time is what I want).  By that alot of couples I know have one parent full time and one either at home or part time and normally the part time worker works much closer to home then they used to. Teaching part time close to home in some areas is really hard, there are limited jobs in your area for a start and whilst times might be changing I don't know to many primary school teachers that are able to work part time.  Looking at myself it woul have been disruptive as a student.  Much different if you were a high school teacher though.  But primary school teaching is hard however this isn't the only industry that has family firendly issues, and I can't see how you could put flexi working hours etc into primary school teaching which would make it more appealing to students or to teachers to stay in the work force after having children.  A second yr grad student on a full time role is earning a heck of a lot, much more then 2nd time grad students in my industry and in my industry they are also working crappy hours. I do think that alot of students perhaps see that money, see what their teacher did (ie teach a class a few times a week, mark their work etc), and see the holidays, but not realise that you do have marking, you do have teacher meetins it is not the hours of the school but rather normal business hours.  In some of those holidays you will have some marking and reports to write.  To me the job includes those tasks, and I think the pay is good.  But then I can't think of one person who thinks they get paid fairly for what they do original.gif even the big development managers that I work with in billion $$ companies think they do too much work for not enough money.

#21 erypmaV

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

Mrslexik, there's no way of quantifying how good a teacher really is using data.

Of course there is, it isn't simple but it should be looked at.
Doctors are able to do it, and yet the best doctors often have higher mortality rates as they take on riskier cases.  You can apply the 'different conditions' to almost any job and yet everyone else seems to manage reward excellence.

At the present time, there's no incentive to excel. It's one of the few industries where self improvement and talent are no reward. They need to work out a proper system, sure. But it can be done.

But in regards to the current strike, the teachers have a valid point. The promise wasn't for better pay based on performance, it was for better pay. I'm fed up with politicians on both sides that don't keep their promises.

#22 SaintJoe

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:36 PM

QUOTE (SlowEmotionReplay @ 21/01/2013, 03:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Because of the way they have decided to stage their industrial action this year - depriving kids of the things they most look forward to in their school lives (eg camps), the teachers at my childrens school have lost my support.

Well they are not getting paid for it. Would you rather they cut back on educational teaching time instead? Something has to give.

#23 Illiterati

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:41 PM

Then why did they accept an offer of employment when it was made to them and when they were aware camps and so on were part of the duties?

I will support strike days but not when they target things that mean so much to the kids.

#24 Hayleymumof3

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:47 PM

The Coalition Government has notified the unions that it believes some elements of their current log of claims are illegal.

They used this same tacit with the nurses and it didn't work.  

I will support strike days but not when they target things that mean so much to the kids.

Kids will get along just fine without going on school camps, what they won't get along with is a crappy education because a teacher is much to focused on performance based tests and not the actual skills they need to learn to cope in the real world.

#25 CountryFeral

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:26 PM

QUOTE (hayleymumof3 @ 21/01/2013, 03:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Kids will get along just fine without going on school camps, what they won't get along with is a crappy education because a teacher is much to focused on performance based tests and not the actual skills they need to learn to cope in the real world.

Thank you - well said!

I work in the TAFE sector and spend far more time fulfilling assessment criteria than I do lesson planning - it is such a waste of the teacher's skill.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly caf goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.