Buying a house, WWYD?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 LittleMissPink

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:05 AM

Would you buy an "okish" house in a nice area, even though it may not meet all your needs (rooms size etc) just to get into the property market if you could?

Or would you wait, and save and hope that by the time you had enough to buy a better house that the prices had not risen so that you coudnt get into the market at all?

Edited by LittleMissPink, 21 January 2013 - 11:06 AM.

#2 tenar

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:08 AM

I'd buy.  

Your ideas about what is OK, how much space you really need, etc, may change.  The nice areas will also tend to increase in price faster than the less-nice areas.

#3 MintyBiscuit

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:10 AM

We did the former. Our house is on the older side, and the bedrooms are pretty small, but it's a massive block of land and there is plenty of scope for us to renovate or knock down and rebuild. We were also fortunate that we bought at the bottom of the market downturn, so our house is worth a lot more now than what we paid for it.

If we have a second child we could feasibly stay in this house for another 5-7 years. This would give us enough time to save the money needed to either sell and buy elsewhere, or do the renos/rebuild to make this place exactly what we need. If we'd waited to save a heap of money to get the "perfect" house that would last us through the entirety of our children's childhoods until they move out, we would still be renting. So if you can manage financially to get into the market now (and by manage I mean comfortably, not just scraping by), I would do it.

#4 LittleMissPink

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:13 AM

For more info, the house is a small 2 bed, on a big block of land, in a town on the pacific hwy, quite busy. In a few years there will soon be a bypass going through, so less traffic and the prices will jump as it becomes more appealing, and quieter. But I can affoord the house now.

#5 MissingInAction

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:16 AM

It's up to you and what you're happy with.

I sometimes wish we'd waited before purchasing our place.  It ticked all the boxes we thought we wanted at the time, but now I wish we had one more bedroom/spare room and lived a little further out of town.

#6 *Lib*

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:17 AM

I'd wait. We built a built a house, that we are going to list this week, because its WAY too small for what we need.

#7 bright*future

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:18 AM

I don't think the market is going to take off in a crazy way in the near future, so you have some time up your sleeve to buy the right house if it comes up soon.  Having said that, it sounds like you're looking in a fairly small area, so perhaps the right house won't come up in the near future, in that case, I'd think very seriously about buying what is on offer now.

#8 BadCat

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:20 AM

I'd do the former.

I bought a cheap unit as a single person because it was what I could afford at the time.  When I met my partner and we decided to buy a house the sale of the unit provided a very nice deposit for the house.

Depends a bit on your time frame though.  Stamp duty can be the killer if you move too fast.

#9 ~spirited~

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:25 AM

We bought a unit first, but in the area we liked. We are now in a house (stayed in unit 4 years, bought and sold at the right time) but 10 minutes further out. Doesn't sound like much, but in Inner Sydney it makes a huge difference. We have more than double the land, and an extra bedroom and bathroom than what we could have bought for the same amount in our old suburb.

#10 BellaMoja

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:27 AM

hmmm its a big decision - we just bought our smallish 3bedder in a nice area of Sydney - just couldnt afford to go to the next price bracket and knew that if we waited that we would miss out due to priced. Our house increased in value by $235k in 3 years CRAZY!

#11 CountryFeral

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:30 AM

QUOTE (LittleMissPink @ 21/01/2013, 12:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For more info, the house is a small 2 bed, on a big block of land, in a town on the pacific hwy, quite busy. In a few years there will soon be a bypass going through, so less traffic and the prices will jump as it becomes more appealing, and quieter. But I can affoord the house now.

With those two bits of information I say do it now!

We bought 4 years ago and although our mortgage repayments are slightly higher than rent, and we have all the extra expenses that home owners have we are still streets ahead.  We also have a fabulous credit history now and equity that we can use for other things..

I can't see we would have saved $50 000 in the same time - but we have paid that much off the mortgage.

#12 janeway

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:35 AM

I was going to say that personally for myself it worked out better in the long run to buy an older, smaller house next to the newer, bigger houses in the same suburb. It has taken 4 years for me realise & be at peace with the decision & only after lots of renovation! The fact that newer houses in my area have dropped considerably in price due to over supply means financially it was the best decision too, even with the renovation done (which was all DIY on a budget)

But in your case it sounds like it might be a good idea to buy now. Do lots of research about what your local real estate market is like & think about what you can do to the house to make it more comfortable for your needs while you are there (add storage, update kitchen, etc)

#13 MintyBiscuit

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:38 AM

Given the extra info you've provided I would be jumping in. As BadCat said though it does depend on your timeframe - we've been in this place four years and are planning for at least another 3-5, possibly more. If you're looking at flipping the property within a couple of years it would have to be a huge jump in property value to make up for what you'd spend on stamp duty, removal costs and all the other associated costs.

#14 ms flib

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:42 AM

Get in while you can.

Over 10 years, our 2 bedroom house more than doubled in value. We sold it and bought a fantastic bigger, older place nearby. We love it.

I can see now that buying the less desirable house first was a great decision.

#15 jibsi

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:43 AM

It depends on what the downsides of the house you can afford now are.... Think about your lifestyle or family size.

From personal experience, a big mistake was to buy something with the thought "oh well we can just build a deck on later" when there was no outdoor living area etc.... The existing layout of the house needs to enable what you want to do later on. For example, if you like entertaining etc, don't buy a house with a kitchen at the front and bedrooms at the back. That deck you want to build on the back just won't work if your kitchen and living areas are at the front... But sometimes you don't realise this until after you've bought!!  

To be honest, with the current property climate I would wait and save up for something you want (or has the potential to be what you want) before buying just to get in. You can waste a lot of money buying and selling short term with stamp duty etc if you know the house isn't going to suit you. Also sometimes there is a good reason certain properties are "cheap".

I hope this helps :-)

#16 .:Natty:.

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:53 AM

Down the road from me wink.gif

We bought smaller with and now I am itching to move as I have gone on to have 2 extras and we are literally living on top of each other. The house prices around here really haven't gone up since we bought. I wish we did wait and saved an extra 20 as that's all we would of needed to get 4 bdrms around here.

#17 MrsLexiK

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:55 AM

Depends, if I was single with no plans of a family down the way then yes.  We have brought in the area that we wanted, I would love to upsize, but there is no real need to upsize.  We do have plenty of room, it would just be nice to have a larger backyard, bigger ensuit etc.  The issue we will be (and what we were facing if we bought even smaller) is that whilst we are getting equity into our house now and will then have a deposit, when we needed to upgrade we would of had a child or two and maybe be on one or one and half wages - and not wanting a large mortgage or perhaps not able to qualify with the children for the mortgage, so we would have been stuck in the small house.  It depends on the area, and what your plans are.  There is nothing wrong though with renting the place out if you out grow it and not buying but renting yourself.

#18 Rachaelxxx

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:58 AM

I think if it's a house you can work on down the track or add rooms and such then yes go for it and get in while you can.

#19 Therese

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:10 PM

I think I would buy now if I was sure I would be happy to stay there for a few years.

#20 Cat People

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:20 PM

If it's in a nice area, I would buy it.  You can't really go wrong with buying in a nice area regardless of the house.

#21 epl0822

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:39 PM

QUOTE (LittleMissPink @ 21/01/2013, 12:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Or would you wait, and save and hope that by the time you had enough to buy a better house that the prices had not risen so that you coudnt get into the market at all?

It's sad but I don't think house prices will come down by much. There will be slight ups and downs but overall my prediction is it will become progressively worse. I would just buy when I can. I certainly wouldn't wait more than a few months.

#22 LittleMissPink

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:53 PM

Thanks everyone, you have given me things to think about.

My family is not likely to grow any more at this stage, and although the area I am considering is not a sellers market at the moment, it has been in the past, and probably will be again. It really is a buyers market at the moment!

The design of the home could lend itself to extending in the future (kitchen/dining at the back) and there is plenty of space around the house (827sqm block). Its 2.5 bedrooms, which is fine, my girls can share original.gif

Its close to a couple of schools, off the main highway, but close to walk to shops etc.

I would be comfortable making the repayments needed, I am unlikely to increase my income at this stage (working part-time) but this may change in a couple of years. I would plan to stay in the house for at least 5 years, and if not, there is plenty of people looking for rentals here.

Thanks again original.gif

#23 Holidayromp

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:58 PM

Buy now.  Get your foot in the door.  It sounds like the house has heaps of potential especially with the large block of land.  ATM you will be paying rent and trying to save on top of that - how about putting your rent amount each week plus what you would normally save on a weekly basis straight onto the mortgage and you would get ahead very quickly.  Also opt for weekly payments you save the most interest doing it this way and pay off your home quicker.

#24 FeralSqueakyBee

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:06 PM

I'd buy. It's what my husband and I did, we bought a little 40 year old 2x1 in a growing area. It was ugly as sin (still is, but we're working on that!) and too small for us in the long term, but you can actually do a lot with a small space if you plan it right.

In my completely non-professional opinion the most important things to look for are:
Is the house structurally sound? (Go for brick over weatherboard/asbestos if you can - not sure what your area's like but ours had lots of old asbestos houses)
How much do you need to do to live comfortably there? (Look at both the amount of work and potential costs)

#25 libbylu

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

It depends.
In most places in Australia the property market is going nowhere fast (house prices are on a plateau) , so if you are currently saving at a high rate and could afford a significantly better place if you waited and saved for two years, then I would wait a bit longer.
We bought a crappy house in a good area, but we bought it 8 years ago in Melbourne when house prices were increasing sharply, so that was definitely a good idea at the time, as if we had waited 12 months more we would have paid $100,000 more for our place and we were saving at a far lower rate than that.
It is expensive to sell and buy again as you have to pay stamp duty each time, so best to avoid having to do that.  If you must buy a crappy place, buy one you can renovate.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

For and against

Should Blue Ivy have been at the VMAs?

Many were quick to condemn Beyonce and Jay Z after appearing on stage at the MTV Video Music Awards with their two-year-old daughter, but others thought it was a sweet family moment. What do you think?

Toddler attacked at gym creche

Two-year-old girl Eva Ness was left with a black eye and bite marks on her face and body after an altercation with an older child at a health club's child-minding facilities. Now her parents are calling for the centre to be closed.

Pregnancy a tricky matter of timing for FIFO couples

Manipulating rosters, coordinating 'conjugal' visits, working on site with your partner; getting pregnant can prove stressful for FIFO workers.

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

Carseats have twice as many germs as a toilet

Most parents know their child's carseat is not always squeaky clean, but they might not realise just how dirty it really is.

Doctors remove foetus from 'medical marvel' after 36 years

Doctors in India have removed the skeleton of a foetus that had been inside a woman for 36 years.

Nine months in six seconds: new parents' Vine clip a hit

We?ve seen some memorable time-lapse pregnancy and birth announcement videos before. Now one new couple has taken it to the extreme, capturing it all in just a six-second Vine video.

Sonia Kruger speaks of baby joy

Celebrity mum-to-be Sonia Kruger has spoken candidly about using donor eggs and IVF to fall pregnant at age 48.

Dressing to not impress: life through the eyes of a three-year-old

When it comes to getting dressed, my three-year-old has only one criterion: ?I don?t want to look beautiful.? And now I've worked out why.

Special nappies made with love for angel babies

Angel Baby Nappies make and provide tiny bereavement cloth nappies for pre-term stillborn babies and premature babies who pass away in the NICU.

Inside the brain of a tantruming toddler

What's going on in your child's mind in the lead-up to a tantrum? And what?s the best way to respond?

5 secrets to a long-lasting relationship

When it comes to keeping your relationship strong, it?s what you do - and not what you want - that really matters.

When 'furbabies' meet real babies

I am obsessed with my dogs, and can't imagine loving them any less once my baby arrives. But that doesn't stop everyone from telling me I will.

The least popular baby names of 2013

Looking for a baby name that?s nowhere near the top 10 ? or even the top 1000? Try the bottom five.

'I was so sleep deprived I crashed my car'

There are no laws regulating driving while tired, but statistics show that driver fatigue is one of the top three contributors to the road toll.

Why are there so few sexy maternity bras?

Rather than feeling ashamed of their post-baby bodies, women should be free to buy lingerie that makes them look attractive and pretty - no matter what stage of life they're in.

Toddler Alliyah one step closer to first trip home

She has lived the first 14 months of her life in a hospital intensive care unit, but Alliyah Broadby's parents hope to finally take their little girl home with them.

'Put people before IVF profits': IVF pioneer Alan Trounson

IVF could be done for hundreds of dollars in Australia instead of $8500 if clinics stopped charging what ''the market will handle'', a pioneer of the technology says.

Expectant parents urged to swap the pub for bub

Nearly one in five women drink while pregnant, but a current campaign is trying to drive down that unhealthy statistic.

Nutella supplies threatened by bad weather

There's bad news for fans of Nutella, the gooey, chocolatey hazelnut spread.

The cost of growing your own vegies

Does it make financial sense to grow your own veggies, or are you better off ordering produce from the local food co-op?

Breastfeeding mums less likely to suffer from PND, but all need support

A new study has shown the a complex relationship between a mother?s intention to breastfeed, her ability to do so, and postnatal depression.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

Going viral

Mum gives birth at school

After four decades in the industry, pest controller John Birkett couldn't believe what he found in one woman's bedroom.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.