Could you give up Facebook - really give it up.

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#26 Expelliarmus

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:57 AM

Well it's full of breast feeding photos at the moment! People are spamming Kochie!!!

#27 hazelhazel

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:59 AM

I gave it up, closed my account for good, when I had ds 2.5 years ago. Best thing I ever did. I was finding myseld addicted, checking multiple times a day, and it was too tempting being at home all day. I also got this thing about not wanting people to know everything thats going in with me without even catching uo. I kind of find it creepy now and dont miss it much.

#28 FeralBob!

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:06 AM

QUOTE (**Xena** @ 21/01/2013, 10:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No I wouldn't. It helps me stay a part of people's lives who I otherwise would see rarely or (in the case of friends I have made online) never.

Exactly. I have friends, real life one no less, on every continent on this planet except Antarctica. These are people I value and I like the fact that we are a part of each others lives even though we're not geographically close.

Plus, I like the political info I get from Facebook. Recently in Ireland a group of workers staged a sit in at HMV Limerick because the shop had closed down and they hadn't been paid. I learnt about it from friends who had interviewed the occupiers, and gone down to support them. I was able to send a message of support to them, and I found out far more, and far easier than I would have trawling through mainstream media. I get updates like that al the time, and I love the fact it's so easy.

#29 bakesgirls

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:11 AM

No. I enjoy Facebook too much. I find it useful to keep up to date with what's going on with friends and family, overseas and here in Australia.

I also like playing the games.

#30 Kalota

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:13 AM

I know how you feel, OP. My fiancé is a chef so he worked right through Christmas and everything. I absolutely hated everyone on Facebook updating about spending Christmas with their families, going away, etc, when I was all alone! I tend to get massive Facebook envy.

But in the end, I have to realise how lucky I am and how thankful I am for the life I live! When people update all these fantastic things on Facebook, you don't know what is really going on in their lives, they are probably struggling with something too - no family is perfect original.gif So try not to compare yourself and get envious, it can really wear you down!

#31 BadCat

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:14 AM

QUOTE (Jane Jetson @ 21/01/2013, 10:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Apart from the privacy issues I have with Facebook, I don't like it ideologically in that it shrugs and says there's nothing it can do about the racism and misogyny plastered all over it, but last I looked it was still removing breastfeeding photos as "inappropriate".

This was the straw that broke the camel's back for me too.  It's fine for some disgusting old man to have a page full of pics of all the little Asian girls he's shagged and speaking about them in appalingly misogynistic ways but it's an outrage to post a picture of yourself feeding your child.  Vile organisation.  Vile.

#32 lactasticmama

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:15 AM

I gave it up for 6 weeks. It was weird without it, but I didn't miss it. I finally logged back i, and am on it almost as more as I was before I nuked it.

I joined twitter a few days ago, and yeah, I'm doomed, lol. So addicted already (always said I'd never fall into the trap and join, ooops!).

#33 wallofdodo

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:20 AM

I did once, because, like you described I was felling left out and a bit paranoid.

It wasa good thing to do for a while, I got some perspective, and worked out what I wanted from Facebook. I have returned, and have a much healthier relationship with it. I no longer feel like I have returned to school!

#34 wallofdodo

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:21 AM

Don't join pintrest pippetyroo, it's so addictive!

#35 Etcetera

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:22 AM

Sometimes yes I'd love to get rid of it. But I don't have many friends because we're pretty new to the area so I think I'd miss out on a lot. Most of my family is interstate as well.

I do need to cut down though, it's become a habit to check multiple times a day and I don't think that's healthy.

#36 wallofdodo

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

QUOTE (hazelhazel @ 21/01/2013, 10:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I also got this thing about not wanting people to know everything thats going in with me without even catching uo. I kind of find it creepy now and dont miss it much.

Not directed at you, but when I hear this I wonder why people aren't more selective about what the post then. I don't update on everything that is going on, because people don' t need to know.

You control your input, not Facebook.

#37 Freddie'sMum

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:28 AM

I have never joined it - and never want to.

I am hoping that by the time the girls (Miss-7-and-a-half and Miss-5) want to join - it will have died.

I am happy to email people, surf the net, read things on the web (spend too much time on EB) - but there is no way I am putting all of my life for all and sundry to see.

#38 Flaxen

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:38 AM

I have facebook but i never post anything.
I check it whenever im on the internet, but there is usually nothing super interesting on there.
Ive deleted all the people who regularly post negative things, so they dont bother me anymore.
If i was told i wasnt allowed to check facebook anymore i'd miss it for a day or so, but out of habit rather than the need for "staying in the loop" and getting all the gossip.
I couldnt care less if it disappeared from cyberspace all together! Actually, I would care, i'd like it a lot!  Then people would actually call people again.

#39 againagain

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:38 AM

I COULD give it up, but I don't want too  tongue.gif

I enjoy seeing what friends and family are doing, but I think you have to keep a healthy perspective. People post the good stuff, the great photos etc, but you have no idea what is happening really in their lives.

I have also found FB a useful tool in weeding out the nutjobs and whackos....easy to figure out which 'friends' (acquaintances, really) think the entire world and every post revolves around them.

#40 Rachaelxxx

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:46 AM

I think part of it for me has been purely out of boredom and I'm hoping that working 5 days a week this year will help because I won't be spending my days refreshing my News Feed lol

For the most part I have had a healthy addiction with Facebook, but not these holidays  sad.gif

#41 CFMummy

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

Im thinking of closing my main account due to the rubbish on it but I couldnt live without my small acc it has 45 friend all relating to ysti Fibrosis I have even met up with a group of others off there it is my sanity

#42 Squeekums Da Feral

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

I deleted mine 2 odd years ago.
BEST THING EVER!
Dont miss it at all.

I deleted mine 2 odd years ago.
BEST THING EVER!
Dont miss it at all.

#43 MissingInAction

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:57 AM

I joined EB in an effort to curb my addiction to FB  blush.gif

I've had a love/hate relationship with FB for several years now; it's caused me a lot of needless drama and upset.  

I've cut down my use significantly anyway, by reducing my friends list to about 80 (50% extended family, the rest good friends who i would actually catch up with in real life, no randoms, no work colleagues, etc).  

I've cut down my status updates to only things I'm proud of and am happy for everyone to hear and I make sure I don't update every single day cos I'd like to have something to share with friends if i saw them at the corner store; not have them know everything anyway.  

I love that it keeps me in contact with family near & far.

I've really had to work hard with myself to stop posting rubbish and only post positive stuff that people may actually  care about (not that i was ever a "look what i'm having for dinner tonight" kind of poster but you know...).  I've cut down on my "likes" so that I'm not clogging newsfeeds... I've learnt to like something without LIKING it IYKWIM.

#44 50ftqueenie

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:59 AM

I COULD give it up but wouldn't want to. I love seeing what my friends and family are up to, and almost everyone I am FB friends with add something to my day (beautiful photos, restaurant recommendations, funny anecdotes from their life).

I've had a couple of acquaintances in the past who have annoyed me with their posts (one supporting Matthew Johns in the gang rape incident, and another US exchange student supporting the NRA) I just unfriended them and moved on with my life.

I don't really get the Facebook envy thing. If someone I know has centre court tickets or has just spent two weeks in the sun somewhere I just feel happy for them, or maybe inspired to organise something fun for myself.

#45 Expelliarmus

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:27 AM

There's no drama on my facebook so why would I give it up. I get confused when people talk about being sucked into drama and stuff like that.

I have a theory that people who get sucked into facebook dramas would also get sucked into dramas in real life anyway.

#46 vanessa71

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:36 AM

I don't have a need or desire to give it up. I have found that I have more interaction IRL with people than I did before, so that is a positive.

#47 robot sm

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:41 AM

I don't use it much, and it annoys me when people are checking it on their phones every 5 minutes (if you're with someone, pay attention to that person!!), but I find it useful for seeing what friends are up to since we moved interstate over a year ago.  It's a quick way to give an update on things that we would otherwise know from spending time with friends or family, things that aren't worth telling everyone over the phone but still nice to share.  

That said, I keep the friends list to people I actually know and I am cautious about posting anything personal.

#48 StopTheGoats

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

I cringe to even say it but I am genuinely that sad that I needed to go cold turkey as if it were a drug. I was checking it 4 or so times a day and spending up to an hour on facebook every day. I'd even check it a few times a day when I was working. I was a member of a few groups and it was really nice to interact with grown ups when I was home during the day but I was checking the groups whilst I was at the park and when my son was awake. I live in an area where I can actually go to the park and chat to other people if I want adult interaction. It was wasting my time. There were also a few people who I like but who aren't in my everyday inner circle and I found myself relying on facebook to stay in touch with them.

I'm going back to work soon and I didn't want to waste what precious time I have with my son and my husband 'interacting' with people online. So I've deactivated and I've only missed it a little bit. The pay off is much more valuable.

If you don't use it very often I can see how it would be valuable but for me, it had started to detract value from my life.

ETA: I'm not even the sort who needs facebook for validation. I barely ever updated my status. I don't know how it became such a large part of my life. Woeful.

Edited by JuniorSpies, 21 January 2013 - 11:59 AM.

#49 Jax12

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:56 AM

Could I?  Yes, probably, but I wouldn't want to.  I have friends that I feel I need to keep (family) whose status updates irritate me so I've hidden them and so I don't really have any fb angst.  I enjoy sharing updates on what my family and I are doing, just as I enjoy stickybeaking into other people's lives.  I can definitely see how fb could become a toxic place when people use it as a forum to air their dirty laundry and leave passive aggressive status updates, but to be honest I kind of enjoy watching those train wrecks  ph34r.gif

In my case it's more a habit that's formed rather than a desperate need to be "plugged in."  I check my fb...I read through the recent posts on EB...I check my email...I check my ebay if I'm selling/buying...rinse and repeat.  I need to find more stuff to do on the interwebz.

I do get embarrassed though when I find myself referencing things I've seen on fb when I'm having real life conversations with friends.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to tell if your child has a speech or language problem

Left untreated, children who start school with speech and language difficulties face an increased risk of reading and writing difficulties, more bullying, poorer peer relationships and less enjoyment of school. So, what should parents expect of children at different ages?

Finding your tribe as a new mum

How was my renegade mother's group different from my first? They were my kind of people. My tribe.

Following your child's emotional roadmap

Psychologist Angharad Candlin will guide parents through their child's emotional development during her seminar at the Essential Baby and Toddler Show in Sydney this weekend.

Delivery room surprises: when gender predictions are wrong

Out of all the questions asked of mums-to-be, “Do you know what you're having?” would be right up there in popularity. Sometimes,

The fertility battle we don't talk about

“You’re nowhere near menopausal,” my doctor cheerily informed me, and my heart sank. I don’t want to live with worry about pregnancy anymore.

'My morning sickness was so bad I'm not having any more kids'

“All the horrible stuff was totally worth it to have my son. But there is absolutely no way I could go through it all again.”

The 'no children' wedding invite

It was the wedding of one of my oldest and dearest friends, and she had invited me to be her bridesmaid. It was quite an honour. But there was one problem.

Baby Dylan recovering well after spending five days alone

For up to five days he lay alone after his mother died of a suspected drug overdose, but eight-month-old Dylan Micallef has made an incredible recovery.

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less your best pregnancy or parenting tip - you'll go in the draw to win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher.

The mystery of William Tyrell, little boy lost

The question remains: How does a little boy simply vanish without a trace?

Woman fights off robber, then gives birth

A thief in the US got more than he bargained for when he try to rob a woman who was nine months pregnant because he figured she would be an easy target.

Video: Two-year-old tells mum off for laughing at her

This little girl is not happy that her mum started laughing during her performance - so she tells her exactly how she feels about it.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

Does this baby say 'I love you'?

She's only 10 weeks old, but this baby is already dividing people around the world.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

My Wellbeing

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.